Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 10-01-2013, 04:08 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Admittedly my opinion on this is fairly weak, but I don't see the fascination with Strong. Not sure Louisville is even relevant if he didn't have a superstar QB fall into his lap.
Charlie Strong can recruit the **** out of Florida. That's all you need to know and he has that team playing strong including the defense.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
At Auburn he would be scary. At USC he'd fail miserably.
So Jimbo is the only coach that would succeed at USC...that's what you're saying.

Gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
So Jimbo is the only coach that would succeed at USC...that's what you're saying.

Gotcha.
Bobby Bowden.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
History suggests that i will make another pointless post that will a.)mock USC from an ignorant point of view b.)praise FSU for all they have and haven't done. C.)All of the above
Well if you insist, but don't try and make me take what you have to say seriously. Funny guy you.

Anyways...

I will be honest, I do not know much about Strong aside from the highlights Bearsfan brought up. That said, I think Chris Peterson would be the ideal choice. I think Peterson gets the best out of his talent and would love to see what he could do with 5 star players year to year.
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What did Miami do to lose his commitment? Was he that attached to Shannon?
It was a combination of a perfect storm of things going wrong. He'd been committed for a while and built a strong relationship with the coaches who recruited him and sold him their system and their offense and then they were gone. There was going to be an overhaul and the HC and OC who he was comfortable with were no longer going to be there.

He also said that he looked at the depth charts and Louisville offered him a better opportunity to play right away than Miami. At the time Miami had 5 QBs on their roster and all of them were coming back in 2011. Louisville's two leading passers were seniors and he would only have to compete for playing time with Will Stein and Dominique Brown, much easier competition than Jacory and Morris.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Bobby Bowden.
Bobby Bowden could also restore our current government if needed.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Well if you insist, but don't try and make me take what you have to say seriously. Funny guy you.

Anyways...

I will be honest, I do not know much about Strong aside from the highlights Bearsfan brought up. That said, I think Chris Peterson would be the ideal choice. I think Peterson gets the best out of his talent and would love to see what he could do with 5 star players year to year.
Chris Petersen***

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:29 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
Charlie Strong can recruit the **** out of Florida. That's all you need to know and he has that team playing strong including the defense.
He got a couple players from Miami during the transition but I haven't seen him grab much from down here over the big 3 guys.

Louisville plays no one and weren't overly impressive doing that. And they haven't played anyone with a pulse this year so far.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Quote:
Chris Petersen***

Looks like with KiffEn(:p) gone I potentially have another last name to butcher. I'll end up calling him CCP anyways like the rest of the old folk on USC boards like to do with any coach or player...if SC nabs him that is.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm impressed with the sheer number of players from Florida that Strong is able to extract. And it's not just from one are it's from all over Florida, Tampa Area, South Florida, Jacksonville, Tallahassee. And yes, most of the big three in Florida aren't after these guys but a lot of other SEC schools are. George Rushing, Jeff Williams, and Isaiah Ford are three guys from this year's class who had offers from FSU, Miami, or UF but chose Louisville. I can't think of another out of state school that gets the quantity of Florida players that Strong gets for Louisville.

This past year's class was also pretty amazing, he got guys like De'Asian Richards who had offers from UF, FSU, UM, Bama, Oklahoma, and UCLA. James Hearns who was committed to UF then decommitted but had offers from Bama, FSU, UM and others. Stacy Thomas another four star guy who had UF, FSU, LSU, ND offering and chose Louisville. Richard Benjamin who had all the big Florida schools, Bama and SC. Keith Brown from two years ago who was on that Duke Johnson team at Norland was another big get for him.

He's not recruiting on the same level as UF, UM, or FSU but the fact that a third of his roster is players from Florida and he coaches at Louisville speaks to his ability to recruit that state in my opinion. He can continue to be very successful at Louisville if he continues to bring in the kids from Florida that the big schools don't want (That's how USF became so good with Leavitt between 06-07) and steal two or three kids per class from the big guys.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With a lot of the players you listed they may have had "offers" from FSU and UF but the schools' willingness to have accepted their commitment remains to be seen. For example with Stacy Thomas he had an offer but we backed way off when Jeremy Pruitt came in and we stole Demarcus Walker from Alabama. Others were offered early but fell off the board as others committed. I do not recall a player we seriously wanted choosing UL over FSU.

Edit
I don't remember if we offered Bridgewater but with E.J. Manuel at the time he wasn't a big loss.

Last edited by MassNole : 10-01-2013 at 06:20 PM.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He got a couple players from Miami during the transition but I haven't seen him grab much from down here over the big 3 guys.

Louisville plays no one and weren't overly impressive doing that. And they haven't played anyone with a pulse this year so far.
Well those are the big name ones but there is over 30 kids on the L'ville roster from the state of Florida.

Edit: Yeah, what JCN said. lol

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Gotcha.
Those California pretty boy QBs would never take to Fisher's coaching style. Fisher would be scary as hell at Texas as his recruiting ties wouldn't be stretched as well as being able to lock down Texas. At USC and the Pac 12 his offense wouldn't necessarily be as sexy to recruits as other schools even if it's better suited to get them to the NFL.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Those California pretty boy QBs would never take to Fisher's coaching style. Fisher would be scary as hell at Texas as his recruiting ties wouldn't be stretched as well as being able to lock down Texas. At USC and the Pac 12 his offense wouldn't necessarily be as sexy to recruits as other schools even if it's better suited to get them to the NFL.
Cool story, bro.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Having offers" from another school is so very worthless. As for the number for Florida guys, yea it's impressive, but it's 2nd tier guys. The only two players they've gotten who could have committed to Miami were Keith Brown (who they got because they gave his non-prospect brother a scholarship) and BJ Dubose (who would have had to go to prep school to come here).

I'm not saying Strong isn't a good coach, my main point was he isn't remotely worthy of the USC job.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-01-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

DG - well personally, the first thing I look at when I see there is a kid FSU is going hard after is look at their offer sheet. To me, the # of quality programs going after a prospect is more important than the star rating or top 300 list.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 10-01-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
DG - well personally, the first thing I look at when I see there is a kid FSU is going hard after is look at their offer sheet. To me, the # of quality programs going after a prospect is more important than the star rating or top 300 list.
As kids have learned creepy bastards like Gene Williams take their word as gospel they have exggerated the existence of offers if not flat out lied (like all of Bryce Brown's handlers clients claiming Miami offers). They'll "commit" to get better offers. I just trust the staff based on the quality I've seen come in and 247's composite rankings.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

If they're legitimate commit-able offers I put some weight into that but whatever Rivals or 247 shows is hardly legitimate. There's enough resources online where I can get an evaluation from someone I trust or do my own to a certain extent (even more so now with the number of games streamed online). Chad Thomas getting a Bama offer after camping was cool but that didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

But my main point was guys listing offers from a school and committing to Louisville doesn't mean jack ****, cause they couldn't commit to Miami/FSU/UF if they wanted to so they're irrelevant.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-01-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

I know the offer situation is very fluid and some of the guys I listed could not have committed because of space and what not. I was listing the offers from the schools because I thought it says something about the quality of athletes Louisville was getting. I'm familiar with Thomas and he could've committed to FSU early on, FSU and UF were his two leaders through most of the recruiting process, but Coley was recruiting him and they dropped him or didn't pursue him once Coley left. The Hearns situation is another one where he interest early but it didn't last, he committed to UF early but I think they dropped him and he was going to go to Kentucky but had trouble qualifying there.

I disagree that they couldn't commit to UF/FSU/UM if they wanted to. It's a case by case situation but I think that some of the kids could have committed to those schools if they wanted to. James Burgess Jr. was a Cane commit before he switched to Louisville, he was in the same class as Keith Brown. I didn't raise the point to debate the validity of offers but to remark about how impressive I thought it was at the quality and quantity of talent that Strong was taking out of UF.

I agree with on the main point that Strong would not be a good hire at SC. Most of his ties are regional, it's a lot easier to convince a family from Miami to let their kid go away to Louisville than it is to let them go to California (e.g. Matthew Thomas).
Old 10-02-2013, 07:52 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Going back and reading this thread is funny and a good reminder why speculation about coaching hires is dumber than most things on the internet. Even after the hires it's pretty bad. Tenn coaching search had some solid lulz.
Also look at the Kiffen to USC love on this thread and sub forum in general. LULZ.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Golden still going to Tenn? All of you should apologize for trying to make me sad.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Also look at the Kiffen to USC love on this thread and sub forum in general. LULZ.
First off its Kiffin, and second off...people were more jazzed about the staff coming with.

Monte Kiffin (Arguably one of the best DC's of all time - Yeah we saw how that worked in the college game)

Norm Chow (Unbelievable college OC, but Lane was too stubborn to let someone else call plays, and in the end it didn't work out)

Ed Orgeron (Best DL coach/Recruiter in the country)

Lane micromanaged and micromanaged some more. There was quite a bit to be enthusiastic about. A lot of USC fans were hoping he would let his assistants do their jobs, and Lane would mature as a coach...and that didn't happen.

Quote:
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

So two geriatrics who the game passed by were cause for excitement with a petarded HC?

And x 100756783217999 at Ed Orgeron being even close to the best DL coach in the country and at this point he is nowhere near the best recruiter in the country.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
And x 100756783217999 at Ed Orgeron being even close to the best DL coach in the country and at this point he is nowhere near the best recruiter in the country.
Not that I ever took your opinion about CFB seriously as it is, but now you really just look like a ******* idiot.

Quote:
Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

No one but USCw fans will think he's in the top tier as either a DL coach or Recruiter.

In 2013 he wasn't even in the Top 25 recruiters. He was in 2011-12 but never the top guy. One DL coach has made the list the last 3 years and thats FSU Interior DL Coach Odell Haggins.

Last edited by MassNole : 10-02-2013 at 11:37 AM.