Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 10-01-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd hope Winters will be better, but this could be another Sanchez-Geno situation. Hard for it to be worse, but rookies will make mistakes.

At this point I'm hoping for a .500-ish season and Geno to progress over the course of it enough to be considered the QB of the future. Then some pass catchers early in the draft/in FA.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets sign Freeman/Release Sanchez? Anyone think this is possible?
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:29 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Jets sign Freeman/Release Sanchez? Anyone think this is possible?

Cutting Sanchez would cost us almost 9m against 2014 salary cap instead of saving 8.4m. If I follow the rules right, I would not rather to do that way.

Heard Texans community whispered about cutting Matt Schaub after this season in order to save $$$. It had nothing to do with his meltdown against Seahawks. If so, I would rather to pursue him and one free agent WR to fill out the 2014 cash spending next season.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:37 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have looked thoroughly WR class for 1st round. Lee and Watkins may make more sense but free agency may work just fine.

James Jones, Jeremy Maclin, Louis Murphy, Hakeem Nicks, Emmanuelle Sanders, Kyle Williams and even Kenny Britt.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Cutting Sanchez would cost us almost 9m against 2014 salary cap instead of saving 8.4m. If I follow the rules right, I would not rather to do that way.

Heard Texans community whispered about cutting Matt Schaub after this season in order to save $$$. It had nothing to do with his meltdown against Seahawks. If so, I would rather to pursue him and one free agent WR to fill out the 2014 cash spending next season.

Wasn't sure how the cap $ would work out. If that's the case, they are much better off keeping Sanchez. I hope the Jets are major players in FA next season. Drafting the best WR early would be great, but even the best ones take time to develop. Some WR free agent signings are a must.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cutting Sanchez saves money in 2014, as far as I understand, $4.8 million dead money and $8.3 million savings on his $13.1 milion cap number.

As for WR, I always like to go draft because that's the more fun route. Signing a guy like Maclin off an injury on an incentive laden one year deal and drafting a WR sometime in the first two days is probably my favorite route - particularly since Maclin has played in Mornhinweg's scheme.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:59 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Cutting Sanchez saves money in 2014, as far as I understand, $4.8 million dead money and $8.3 million savings on his $13.1 milion cap number.

That was for prior June 1st cut. For post-June 1st cut, it takes all guaranteed salary (cash) for the current season and the rest of his salary will count against next year's cap. That is what I know of.

In Sanchez' case,

Pre-June Cut = heavy current season cap and lighter next year cap.

Post-June Cut = current's real cash and the remainder of his cap next year.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Sorry Yoto, I misinterpreted. I was thinking a pre-June cut in the offseason, not cutting him during the season this year. Don't think there's any real benefit to that, it seems for the most part he's playing the nice guy for now anyway (which is the right move for him, and makes it easier on the team).
Old 10-04-2013, 04:38 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Zach Sudfeld is signed with us?

I thought Jets should try to get TE that actually play downfield as a pass catcher. Travis Beckum? Kevin Boss? Or someone else.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:39 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Damn... According to overthecap, Jets would be on hook for 73.6m in cash spending included Sanchez and Holmes. Cutting them would put Jets to 52.3m That is too way low. The minimum of cash spending may be about 88-90 percentage of a salary cap. Say about 108m salary cap for 2014 so the cash spending minimum would be 83.6m - 97.2m.

If Jets want to rely on draft to rebuild the team then they may have to find a way to pay 30-45m in free agency or trade.

I will play some more on the roster to meet both cap and cash spendings later but damn.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:05 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Better than not having money to spend. There's some interesting guys out there in FA - unfortunate that guys like Jimmy Graham won't hit open free agency since I'd be willing to give him crazy sums of money to come to the Jets. They can also exctend guys like Wilkerson and Snacks, so hopefully the money is well spent.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't be too worried about the team not being able to spend enough money. I'm just happy to see that for the first time in a few years, once Sanchez and Holmes are gone, the Jets will be in a good place under the cap. They don't really have that many high paid guys left on the roster going into next year.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That 2nd half was so damn intense. My head is still spinning.

But great win. I would have liked to not see us give up the lead in the 4th, but it sure was fun watching Geno and the offense drive down the field in the 2 minute drill to win it.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:52 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And I love the offensive creativity. We saw a ton of different formations and looks.

Marty Mornhinweg is worlds better than Schotty and Sparano.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-08-2013, 11:09 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Solid win last night. This season's been much more fun than I expected so far.

Mornhinweg is fantastic too, I think the coaching staff is in a really nice place moving forward if the team continues to have success and they keep their jobs. Rex I like as a head coach, particularly now that he's turned down the bravado a little bit. I think he does a good job motivating the team, the guys want to play for him. And obviously he's brilliant defensively. But the offensive side of the ball is not his strong suit, and a guy like Mornhinweg who wasn't great as a HC but obviously has a good offensive mind is a nice fit to be given some autonomy and just run the offense. Going forward I think it's a potentially positive setup.

Will be interesting to see what Idzik does this offseason with all the money they have to spend. I'd hope locking up Wilkerson is the first priority, maybe Snacks too, and we'll see if they make some intelligent choices from there with the money that's left. I don't see any slam dunks who are going to hit open FA, Byrd or Wright at safety might be the best option. Hopefully the priority is drafting successfully, filling in pieces on reasonable deals, and locking up guys who deserve it after their rookie deals.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I have not watched it yet but recorded it so I can watch it later. However, according to statistic, Jets were not that impressive. 4 sacks allowed keep Smith under 200 passing yards. The run game is laughable, considering less than 20 pass attempt.

What is up with 2 tds in 4th? Did Jets defense fail to finish the game strong? Will learn about that in watching the replayed game. Very disappointed.

Hey, Browns are shopping WR Josh Gordon for 2nd round pick. Bad Character to be avoided by Idzik? I don't know but I would love to do this trade. Jets could draft a demon pass rusher in 1st instead of WR.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:19 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Solid win last night. This season's been much more fun than I expected so far.

Mornhinweg is fantastic too, I think the coaching staff is in a really nice place moving forward if the team continues to have success and they keep their jobs. Rex I like as a head coach, particularly now that he's turned down the bravado a little bit. I think he does a good job motivating the team, the guys want to play for him. And obviously he's brilliant defensively. But the offensive side of the ball is not his strong suit, and a guy like Mornhinweg who wasn't great as a HC but obviously has a good offensive mind is a nice fit to be given some autonomy and just run the offense. Going forward I think it's a potentially positive setup.

Will be interesting to see what Idzik does this offseason with all the money they have to spend. I'd hope locking up Wilkerson is the first priority, maybe Snacks too, and we'll see if they make some intelligent choices from there with the money that's left. I don't see any slam dunks who are going to hit open FA, Byrd or Wright at safety might be the best option. Hopefully the priority is drafting successfully, filling in pieces on reasonable deals, and locking up guys who deserve it after their rookie deals.
My only issue with Rex this year is his challenges. He has stupidly challenged spot of the ball at least twice and a couple other stupid ones come to mind. Otherwise, having him have seemingly no control of the offense seems to be working out. I never liked sanchez but I wonder how different things would have been with morninfwheig from day 1. I hate his ******* name though. Sparano is easier to spell.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Finally watched the game. Wildcat formation and field of possessions were the reasons why Smith's number of passes was low. He still does not show anything to be a franchise quarterback this moment but he capitalized and executed well without number one WR and heavy TE usage. MM said to get TE involved more as the season progresses so I look forward to it.

Walls is number one CB against Steelers? Damn. In Falcons game, he showed a lousy job at tackling and if he had soft hands he would intercept passes thrice easily. 2 problems on Walls.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:30 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Ah... Coples. Did he not want to play hard? Shame that Harrison and Richardson have played well as DL. Coples appears not to belong to outside at all. Barnes is out of season so Coples has to step up.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Winslow is docked 4 games. Hopefully, it does not discourage the TE plan for Smith. smh!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I'm really disappointed in Winslow. He's been a solid safety valve for Smith. This could hurt a little bit but I would like to see Cumberland step up, too.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-12-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Ah.. about actual cash spending situation, 89 percentage of 4 years total in salary cap is a minimum but we have no way to be acknowledged of what salary cap would be for per 14, 15 and 16. That is tough to figure it out.

Jets' 2013 is at about 81 percentage (Round Down). Let's pretend that 125m salary cap for 2013 and 127m for 2014. Jets would need to pay 122m to reach 89 percentage of 2 years in 2014. That is quite a lot.

I am sure that we won't have more than 5m bump between years.

At worst:

2013 - 125m
2014 - 130m
2015 - 135m
2016 - 140m

89 pct of 4 years - 471.7m

For 2013, Jets are projected to cover 102m ish prior to performance bonuses. 369.7m will have to be spent in next 3 years. That would be 123.3m per season.

For 2m increment part: 456m

Jets would have 354m left to cover and 118m per season for next 3 years.

Wilkerson should get 40m SB
Harris should get 20m SB
Howard should get 10m SB

That is 60m prior to first year base salary addition. 309.7m and 294m left over and 103.23m and 98m per season for next 3 years.

I guess it is not difficult to meet actual cash spending minimum as I thought it would be. Shrug.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:14 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I am not entirely happy with the offense. I would be tempted to trading Hill, 1st and 2nd round picks for WR Larry Fitzgerald this off season.

Wildcat? Enough of it.

Smith needed to place football better than that. Take Cumberland's long pass caught for example. He braked in order to receive the passed football and ran for few extra yards. With better ball placement, Cumberland would run ahead of 2 deep covering defenders for at least 10 yards more.

What is up with a small usage of Goodson? Use his speed to keep defense soft against Hill and Kerley on outside.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:27 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yoto, there's no way the Jets trade that much for a 31 year old Larry Fitzgerald. Particularly because they're not in win now mode, but that's a ridiculous haul for a player who's making a lot of money too.

I'm with you on the Wildcat. Smith needs development for sure, hopefully he gets there - you certainly see flashes. I'd like to see more Goodson as well.

Not a surprise that we lost. The Steelers were much better than 0-4 and coming off a bye. The Jets tend to go as Geno goes, anyway. Pretty much all games are going to be coinflips the rest of the way.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:29 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yoto, there's no way the Jets trade that much for a 31 year old Larry Fitzgerald. Particularly because they're not in win now mode, but that's a ridiculous haul for a player who's making a lot of money too.
I don't mean an actual trade. Just frustrating to witness that Jets have no "go to guy" WR or TE like many teams have.