Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 09-30-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I also want to point out Spikes noticeable absence last night. He was barely in.
I don't have the exact numbers, but Collins played a lot of snaps. He and Logan Ryan were tasked with Gonzalez, it seems. He had his best game in 12 years and one of the best of his career.

Jacquizz Rodgers was also a pretty big factor in the passing game.

Spikes was likely kept out to help deal with those two guys in the passing game. Didn't help much

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:47 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Vellano will step up and in a big way with this injury and I was very impressed with him last night. He's a great player. That being said I wonder whether guys like Myron Pryor or Ron Brace will get a call because of their familiarity with Belichick and the Patriots.

Other guys I'm interested in, Jerrell Powe and Antonio Dixon. I also wonder how much Pouha has left in the tank and what sort of shape he is in.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want us to pick up Jerrell Powe so badly.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel we all forgot about Armond Armstead and just assumed he was a non factor this season, I did. This is probably very insignificant but Reiss wrote a piece today about Armstead going to all team/position meetings and that Belichick said the doctors would have to clear him. I forgot about him and wonder if there is any scenario where he could contribute once he is eligible to come back.

Another guy I completely forgot about was Marcus Forston since he was on the practice squad. I'v always wanted to see what he can do and hope he gets a shot with Wilfork down.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:53 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Armstead has a future here and it could be a bright one, but we need to add a massive body with Wilfork out. We don't have one of those right now.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I think Armstead has a future here and it could be a bright one, but we need to add a massive body with Wilfork out. We don't have one of those right now.
Pretty much this, I really like Armstead (His CFL highlights were amazing), and have been somewhat impressed at times with both Forston and Vellano, but really none of them fit the profile of a Vince. It's a complete 180 from a year ago when we were all complaining about how all of our DT's couldn't move at all.

The Love thing is still a gut punch. I don't know if it's because he can't manage his diabetes, but that guy is definitely roster worthy. I'd feel comfortable with him filling in for Vince. I think Pouha is the guy we should go after, the worst thing we could do is nothing which it looks like we might just do.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:34 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love really is the most obvious fit assuming he's healthy. I kept trying to see if the Jaguars ever listed what he weighed for them, but I could never come up with anything solid. We never really found out just how much he lost either. If it was 30+ pounds and he put it back on as quickly as he could for training camp, it might have really done more harm than good for him.

Either way, that bridge is probably burnt. I was extremely excited for Armstead at the start of training camp, but it's concerning that he's having all these medical problems. It's pretty tough for what is essentially a first year player to get into game shape and up to speed in the middle of the season too. I really hope he has a future with us, but you never like to see a young player have a lost year. Guys who have had to deal with that haven't worked out super well for us historically either.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-03-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

In a move that proves the universe can sometimes make sense, Austin Collie is now a New England Patriot. The wide receivers continue to get better and this signing really would have made more sense last week, but he's a guy I really feel comfortable saying could be a huge contributor in our system if his health allows. That's obviously the question with him and I would hate to see the guys life be impacted for our need for wide receiver production, but yeah.

...you've got to wonder if either Amendola or Gronk has had a set back. I was sort of expecting at least one of them to play over the next few weeks. Dobson's injury could well be pretty severe as well though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 10-03-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ive read a few reports saying that they very strongly believe Amendola has a good shot to play this weekend (and Dobson), but no news on Gronk and I'm fine with that, let him get healthy and game shape ready before we unleash his beautiful muscle mass onto the field.

On another note, looking ahead I am very scared of what the Saints could do to us. Pretty much have everything offensively we will struggle to stop, especially with Sproles. Cinci I can't for the life of me figure out. They beat GB despite turning the ball over a number of times, but lost to Cleveland. It will be interesting these next few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sooooo we waived Sufeld???? Da fuq?

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:49 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Didn't carry any momentum from camp into the regular season. Hurt us every time the ball was near him. Hopefully he lands on the practice squad because he legitimately did show some things in camp, but he clearly wasn't ready for this level of play.

...it's also pretty hilarious reading all the "I knew it all along" comments from people on other sites. Some of the same people were pimping him as an immediate star. Even though I was high on Sudfeld, I really can't stand homers. Tough to argue with them too since you're trying to hit an ever shifting target.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That can only mean one thing:
GRONK!

Well, that and Sudfeld isn't ready to be on an active roster.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:04 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Yeah, that's the upside here. Looks like it may finally be time to rock out with our Gronk's out. Just don't tell Papa Gronk.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-03-2013, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

I agree with EE, it was pretty clear he wasn't ready for this level. His preseason was okay but when he was in games in the regular season he was an average to below average blocker and wasn't a receiving threat. He caused one of Brady's two interceptions of the season. Collie and Gronk back soon? Not a bad day for the Pats.

Last edited by Jcn92 : 10-04-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Jcn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:09 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys, been a while because I was on holiday, but here are a few thoughts I have on the first quarter of the season:

The passing game is still a worry but that's to be expected. I know the rookies get a lot of the blame but honestly I think more blame should be on Brady who frankly hasn't played well thus far. Yes there will be a learning curve for the WRs, however in general they are finding ways to get open. What worries me is their ability to hold on to the ball. Thompkins and Dobson have both had issues with drops, and even though he had a nice game this weekend I get nervous anytime the ball is thrown to Thompkins. He just doesn't seem like a natural pass catcher. He tends to stop running and diving at the ball at times which is reminiscent of what Brandon Lloyd did last year only Lloyd has better hands. That being said, when Gronk and Amendola come back I expect a pretty sizeable increase in effectiveness. The Pats are basically playing without a receiving threat at TE and Amendola's ability to get open in the short/intermediate game is Brady's favourite area.

The running game seems extremely solid though not spectacular. I like the committee approach but at some stage I would like to see one person become the guy, ideally Ridley at this point. The o-line is also playing really well.

Defensively losing Wilfork is a massive blow, not only because you lose a guy who can dominate (though he hadn't this year) but also that the depth is extremely slim. Tommy Kelly can't and shouldn't be playing 80% of snaps. I agree with some of the comments prior to this about getting another body in here, even to simply spell Kelly.

Chandler Jones can flat out dominate at times but I want to see a little more consistency from him. He played really well against Baker this week and really should have dominated Holmes but was kept relatively in check, though he should have had a sack that was ruled an incomplete pass.

There are still the worries about the LBs and I have honestly been a little disappointed in Jamie Collins in coverage. I would like to see him and Hightower blitz a little more, but we have to face facts with what we have. If the opposing QB gets time that middle of the field and in the flats will be open all day long.

Steve Gregory is such a meh player. He consistently takes horrendous angles, though I will admit he does have okay recognition skills. He can most definitely be upgraded and right now I would say he and Vellano (now VW is out) are definitely the weak links of the D.

For the first time in what feels like forever I don't fear the worst when a QB throws to the sidelines. Talib is such a boss and Dennard is a really good #2 CB. For all of the media talk of Kyle Arrington being a very good slot CB I haven't been too impressed - the long catch and run to Douglas was poor this week.

Overall, I finally feel like this is a complete football team if Gronk and Amendoal get healthy. The pass game won't be what it was and won't be what the Broncos have, but combined with the running game and what should be a top 10 defense I actually am quite optimistic about the long haul. If we can take the focus off the rookies and let them be complimentary pieces I think the offense will roll again, if so they can compete with most teams.

For the AFC picture I like the Pats as the 2nd best team. I don't think Miami will last the season, the AFC South doesn't scare me, the AFC North looks a mess and Belichick will force Alex Smith to beat us if we play KC at any stage. The only team who scares me is Denver and frankly I think they scare every other team, but the big question will always be Manning in January. We all know he can be great in the regular season but until he plays like this in January I will have my hopes the Broncos will collapse.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:56 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Playing in Denver in January with his arm being significantly weaker (throwing the lowest percent of deep balls) is going to be the challenge for Denver, up until that point they will roll over everybody relatively easily.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-04-2013, 09:08 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, right now that is the only hope any AFC team can cling to because how they are playing now is unreal.

Also, it will be frightening what Manning does against that Tampa 2 shell Dallas will play on Sunday unless Ware can get to Manning often. Welker and Julius Thomas should eat.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't imagine the Patriots beating Denver. Wes Welker vs. Kyle Arrington?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:20 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Very little talk about the game here this week, for whatever reason. I feel OK about our chances, but Atkins and those Begnals pass rushers could really make things difficult on our offense if we can't get the ball out quickly. Amendola coming back(looks possible right now) will help tremendously and we'll have to see how quickly Collie has gotten up to speed, but there's just a lot of guys the Bengals can win with on the defensive line. Ridley being ruled out doesn't help matters either.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-06-2013, 04:57 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bengals front scares me. We had trouble with both the Bills and the Jets and their front - but at least our offense has been playing better.

The great unknown is how the defense responds to losing Vince. We (still) can't cover backs and tight ends, but now we get to add likely issues against the run. We did well enough against Atlanta in that regard, but they never really adjusted, whereas the Bengals have had a week to game plan for it.

Hoping for some turnovers, hoping Talib stays healthy. Winnable game, but wouldn't be surprised if we lose a close one.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just published my weekly preview, check it out here:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/...to-week-5.html
Old 10-06-2013, 08:31 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

These guys aren't that good except the talented AJ Green. We handed them the game 2 weeks ago but then as we saw last week, the Browns totally shut them down for an easy win.

Your defense should be good, smart enough to do more like what Cleveland did compared to what our D did.

I like the Patriots to win this one 24-16.
I hope for no injuries and no horrible calls by the zebras.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:17 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like Amendola is playing today. Even with a healthy Amendola I would like to see a healthy dose of Dobson and Boyce. I feel like we need to keep them incorporated in our passing game as much as we can. While it may be the easiest and the most efficient offensive option in the short term to feed the ball consistently to Edelman and Amendola underneath, we've seen in the playoffs that that method doesn't work.

The underneath stuff will always be there for us, but we need to keep working on our vertical game even if it's not the best thing for us to do today. As we work back in Amendola, Gronk, and later Vereen we need to make sure that we don't revert to looking at those 3 and Edelman exclusively. Thompkins, Dobson, and Boyce need to have a role on this team going forward.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:23 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Yeah, the key to this offense progressing is diversifying where the production comes from. Has been for a few years. I still think that will happen even with Amendola healthy. Let's remember, Amendola offers a little bit more up the field than our previous slot receivers have. Who knows how long he stays healthy, but he really can be part of the solution to that problem when he's on the field.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-06-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Well. Defense came to play. Offense ... not so much. Brady looked as bad as I've seen him.

We're gonna get killed next week.