Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-02-2013, 09:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
I have a general division question. How did our division get so bad? We are supposed to be the NFC East yet all our teams are hurting. I know for us how we became bad, but what about everyone else? I feel like we went from a feared division to a punch line.
Philly - Chip Kelly is a mastermind offensively. Defensively, he has no clue. His offense is too fast. Defense is left to play long minutes and by the end of the game they have no gas. He can't rotate in players like he did in college with roster sizes that go what... 105 players deep or something?

Washington - RG3 is not running like he was last year, so the threat of him taking off isn't hurting teams like last year. Used a lot of picks to get RG3, and they have often given up picks in the draft through the years, so their depth is shot. Combine that with all the big contracts they've dished out over the years on players who didn't pan out. Thier dead money must be atrocious. Alfred Morris... fluke?

NYG - Draft failures. Not enough juice extracted from the draft. Combination of age, injury and overconfidence in veteran players.

Dallas - Coaches putting players in position to get fancy stats, but not putting players in position to win.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:48 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Philly - Chip Kelly is a mastermind offensively. Defensively, he has no clue. His offense is too fast. Defense is left to play long minutes and by the end of the game they have no gas. He can't rotate in players like he did in college with roster sizes that go what... 105 players deep or something?

Washington - RG3 is not running like he was last year, so the threat of him taking off isn't hurting teams like last year. Used a lot of picks to get RG3, and they have often given up picks in the draft through the years, so their depth is shot. Combine that with all the big contracts they've dished out over the years on players who didn't pan out. Thier dead money must be atrocious. Alfred Morris... fluke?

NYG - Draft failures. Not enough juice extracted from the draft. Combination of age, injury and overconfidence in veteran players.

Dallas - Coaches putting players in position to get fancy stats, but not putting players in position to win.

Philly can be traced to after Jim Johnson left. That stability left and things went downhill.

Washington I am curious to see why. Maybe Bob needs the read option. That allows Morris to be great in that system. That opens up PA and with it, how good is Bob?

Here is a question. I think our drafts can be contributed not to Reese, but Ross. Since Ross's first draft in 2008, we have gotten worse. Reese, as the GM and director of college scouting showed how good he was. Ross should get some egg on his face.

So my question is... How much did Parcell build up your team? He was there for Witten, Romo, and Ware, correct? After he left, is it fair to say your team slowly degraded? Coaching and drafting was iffy?

If yes, then we can say that about us with Ross, and two coordinators in Gilbride, who I always supported, and Fewell, who I never ever did. I never liked his system.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:08 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Philly can be traced to after Jim Johnson left. That stability left and things went downhill.

Washington I am curious to see why. Maybe Bob needs the read option. That allows Morris to be great in that system. That opens up PA and with it, how good is Bob?

Here is a question. I think our drafts can be contributed not to Reese, but Ross. Since Ross's first draft in 2008, we have gotten worse. Reese, as the GM and director of college scouting showed how good he was. Ross should get some egg on his face.

So my question is... How much did Parcell build up your team? He was there for Witten, Romo, and Ware, correct? After he left, is it fair to say your team slowly degraded? Coaching and drafting was iffy?

If yes, then we can say that about us with Ross, and two coordinators in Gilbride, who I always supported, and Fewell, who I never ever did. I never liked his system.
Romo was a FA that Sean Payton wanted and got. Ware was JJ's call, Parcells wanted Spears at that spot. Witten was a 3rd round steal. Parcell had his hits and misses just like everyone else.

Never as good as Jimmy but not as bad as Wade either...

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Last edited by pocketaces : 10-02-2013 at 10:12 PM.
pocketaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Romo was a FA that Sean Payton wanted and got. Ware was JJ's call, Parcells wanted Spears at that spot. Witten was a 3rd round steal. Parcell had his hits and misses just like everyone else.

Never as good as Jimmy but not as bad as Wade either...
Yep and to further that point and answer the initial question.

Our downfall can be traced to Wade Phillips era drafting. We had a TON of misses without much success and it killed our depth and prevent new starters from cycling in from the draft. We overpaid in free agency to compensate and then had cap issues.

Garrett is MUCH improved on the drafting front but has had growing pains as a HC. Jerry has taken a step back and his son Stephen has taken a MUCH bigger role since the Garrett hiring.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:45 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have a general division question. How did our division get so bad? We are supposed to be the NFC East yet all our teams are hurting. I know for us how we became bad, but what about everyone else? I feel like we went from a feared division to a punch line.
There are probably a lot of reasons, coaching changes, drafts, aging vets, but real simple..For one or all those reasons..the defenses in the division are not very good.
I think the division winner will be the team that plays the best defense over the course of the season. We all know that its a pass happy league now and bottom line is the secondaries in the east are not very good.

Last edited by Jas : 10-02-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Pretty sure we're gonna win. Will that make you sad?
No. Sadly, I don't care much anymore. Maybe I will become a real fan once Jones passes away.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:25 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't believe Sims is getting the first team reps over Bruce Carter. The guy has one bad game in pass coverage (against one of the best recieving RB's in the league) and the Monte is already stirring the pot.

How about looking for solutions on the depth along the D-line so that they aren't burnt out by the 3rd quarter? Doesn't matter if you have Derrick Brooks is dropping back in coverage if the QB has all day to pick you apart.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:50 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cowboys fans really love their players over the star. Wow.

Could it just be Sims is much more familiar with the scheme? He was a bad fit in the 3-4 last year but a great pickup based on athleticism, stuck on the roster and from everything I read he played pretty much on par with Bruce in training camp.

Add to the fact that Durant is injured and they're probably just looking at filling that spot with Carter.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who care who starts...get the best 11 guys on the field...draft slots don't matter...contracts are similar....Carter will be on the field plenty.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

If you think about it, other than the Giants getting hot in 2011, our division has been irrelevent since 2008. Philly weathered the usual downturn that faces good teams by continuing to draft well and turned their roster over pretty well, until they didn't. (Remember the drafts where ESPN would drone on about how well run the Pats and Eagles were? That front office was great, and then it wasn't, McNabb retired and they replaced him with an injury prone loose cannon)

The Redskins weren't very good last year, but they got hot at the right time, and unleashed RG3 to an unsuspecting league.

The Giants downturn started when they stopped drafting well and seemed to let some of their heart and soul players go.

The Boys, we're in the 6-10 to 10-6 league, where if things go our way, we can win 10 games, but are also capable of losing 10 games. Our QB is good, but not elite, so he can't lift us like Eli did the Giants in 2011.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Who care who starts...get the best 11 guys on the field...draft slots don't matter...contracts are similar....Carter will be on the field plenty.
Def not concerned about where Carter was drafted. Through the first three games he was by far the best LB on the team imo. His pursuit to the ball has been outstanding, he has been very effective when utilized as a blitzer and has been solid in coverage until this past game.

I'm all for getting the best combo out on the field but at least give a guy a mulligan.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:01 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
If you think about it, other than the Giants getting hot in 2011, our division has been irrelevent since 2008. Philly weathered the usual downturn that faces good teams by continuing to draft well and turned their roster over pretty well, until they didn't. (Remember the drafts where ESPN would drone on about how well run the Pats and Eagles were? That front office was great, and then it wasn't, McNabb retired and they replaced him with an injury prone loose cannon)

The Redskins weren't very good last year, but they got hot at the right time, and unleashed RG3 to an unsuspecting league.

The Giants downturn started when they stopped drafting well and seemed to let some of their heart and soul players go.

The Boys, we're in the 6-10 to 10-6 league, where if things go our way, we can win 10 games, but are also capable of losing 10 games. Our QB is good, but not elite, so he can't lift us like Eli did the Giants in 2011.
I maintained age, degradation, and injury hurt us a lot. Factor in poor drafting by Ross, not Reese, as the Director of College Scouting, and you have our current situation. Add Gilbride now and Fewell and that explains where we are.

Ross's 1st draft was 2008. Since then our drafts have gotten worse. A lot of swing and misses. J. Jernigan, Barden, Beckum, Koets, Dillard, Marvin Austin, Sinorice Moss,Bryan Kehl, Rhett Bomar, Clint S., Chad Jones (Car accident) but still didn't get a return on our investment. Mitch petrus

So basically from 2008 onwards. We have missed rounds 2-5 VERY often! Add that to the factors above and you get our current situation. Moreover, we draft developmental players. Due to the 3 factors, these guys have to play soon, and aren't ready.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I can't believe Sims is getting the first team reps over Bruce Carter. The guy has one bad game in pass coverage (against one of the best recieving RB's in the league) and the Monte is already stirring the pot.

How about looking for solutions on the depth along the D-line so that they aren't burnt out by the 3rd quarter? Doesn't matter if you have Derrick Brooks is dropping back in coverage if the QB has all day to pick you apart.
I wonder how much of it is sending Carter a message. He's played too well in the first three games to get benched over one bad game IMO, but they may feel that he's not reaching his potential, so benching him a little may light a fire under him. Maybe it's a sign to the rest of the team, or it could be that Sims is playing lights out in practice.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCowboysTroll View Post
No. Sadly, I don't care much anymore. Maybe I will become a real fan once Jones passes away.
Stephen is going nowhere.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Football Outsiders broke down the 2-2 Cowboys. The results are not what you would expect.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...he-2-2-cowboys

Quote:
Overall Team Efficiency: 16th
Offense: 10th
Defense: 20th
ST: 16th

Despite being ranked tenth overall, not everything is rainbows and unicorns on the offense. Romo, Murray and Bryant look good, very good even, but the Cowboys are getting only average play from their remaining wide receivers and their three tight ends. The Cowboys got Williams more involved against the Chargers, targeting him eight times for seven receptions (and a fumble at the goal line), so that's a good start (except for the fumble). But the tight ends, especially Jason Witten, have not stood out much so far in the passing game, and Austin is once again suffering from Hammy-itis.
One AWESOME note. Our offensive line is TOP TEN in both pass protection and run blocking and getting better after the additional of Waters.

Isn't all terrible for the defense. We're top 10 against the run and 20(!) against the pass. Same old defense different coordinator.

They break down front-seven metrics and come to the following conclusions:

Quote:
The interesting thing about theses numbers is that they suggest that the defensive line has regressed up front. The D-line has found it harder to stop short runs and are stopping less runners in the backfield. At the same time, the run defense is getting better at stopping long runs, an indication that the linebackers, safeties and corners are getting better at tackling runners early.
Doesn't take a genius to see that. Moving along.

Quote:
The Cowboys' pass defense is porous across the board - as you would expect from a pass defense that ranks 23rd in passing YPA allowed and 24th in defensive passer rating. You're not going to win a lot of football games if you can't defend the pass.
Ouch.

Quote:
Overall, the Football Outsiders stats suggest the Cowboys offense is a top ten unit, driven largely by the offensive line and some of the skill position players. On defense, the front seven look like a slightly above average unit, but the key issue for the Cowboys is their pass defense. Yet the pass defense cannot work without the front seven getting pressure on the opposing QB, as Jason Garrett noted after the Chargers game:

"It starts up front," Garrett said. "We didn’t get to Philip Rivers enough. We did not make him uncomfortable. We did a good job in the first three games making the quarterback’s job hard, hitting him, getting him off the spot. We didn’t do that last week. We have to do it this week."
At this point last year who would have thought that we would have a top 10 offensive line in one season? Sad that we are 24th in defensive QBR. I can't remember the last time we were very successful at stopping the pass.

Can't we just play the Rams 16 times? :D
Old 10-03-2013, 02:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

Yeah, Johnson's passing away really had an effect on their downfall and the eventual firing of Reid. "Yay!" I was so happy he left. He's a damn good coach. I so much love Chip Kelly's offense! Love love love the creativity he has! I just think it will take time for him to make adjustments. If he does, then the Eagles will be a power once again. If he doesn't, then he'll be the next college coach failure.

I think you hit the nail on the head about Morris' success hinging on the read option success of RG3. I questioned whether he was a fluke, but your explanation makes it clear to me now. I think he IS a fluke and his demise is a direct result of RG3's reluctance to run and reinjure himself. The rehab must have been REAL and he probably doesn't want to repeat it. Morris is not your typical workhorse back. He's a guy that needs trickery to be successful.

Question with the Giants is what do they do about fixing their draft problems? Do they have the balls to cut Ross? The Giants have very little in terms of young promising talent and zero in regards to true budding Superstar talent. Their breakout guy was supposed to David Wilson who has flopped square on his face. Defensively there is nothing fresh. On the bright side, such are the side effects of winning SuperBowls. You get late picks.

Dallas has plenty of talent. Parcells gave us a nice jump start. He had his share of misses and overcredits, but even through the Wade era that was ugly, we are still here today with top notch quality talent and depth. Our problem is in the coaching. Game planning, play calling, adjustment making... those are areas we must be at the bottom of the league in. I'm already ready to fire Kiffin and promote Marinelli to DC. Ready for Jon Gruden to come in and work his magic. Ready for an OC who has ice in his veins and can unleash this offense... *Ring Ring* Hello, can I speak to Mike Martz? I just really think we need a dramatic change in our staff. If Jerry likes Jason so much, would he be willing to make him Assistant GM?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

D drank to much of the funny looking coolaid

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 10-03-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

AHHH! Now I have to burn my eyes out looking at that pic.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Nah, I go for this every time...

Old 10-03-2013, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Football Outsiders broke down the 2-2 Cowboys. The results are not what you would expect.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...he-2-2-cowboys

One AWESOME note. Our offensive line is TOP TEN in both pass protection and run blocking and getting better after the additional of Waters.

Isn't all terrible for the defense. We're top 10 against the run and 20(!) against the pass. Same old defense different coordinator.

They break down front-seven metrics and come to the following conclusions:

Doesn't take a genius to see that. Moving along.

Ouch.

At this point last year who would have thought that we would have a top 10 offensive line in one season? Sad that we are 24th in defensive QBR. I can't remember the last time we were very successful at stopping the pass.

Can't we just play the Rams 16 times? :D
Yeah, it kinda goes back to what I was saying earlier about the entire division, if you can't stop the pass or at least slow it down, not going to win a lot of games in this league now.

Last edited by Jas : 10-03-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:16 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so are Sims AND Carter going to be starting?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076 View Post
In base-D yes. Expect us to play most of the game in nickel though so when that happens Lee and SIMS are expected to start. Carter looks fine in coverage on base defense. Watching him chase TEs and RBs on wheel routes is more of a scheme problem than a player problem though. Sean Lee didn't fair much better in the same coverages. As long as Kiffin wises up and doesn't act them to cover those types of routes we'll see a vast improvement in the LB coverage.

Just for D and Bob since they seem to be peas in a pod on the issue :)

Quote:
Romo says Cowboys are working on things to get Dez some deep balls, and he's not shy about throwing them - Carlos Mendez, Star-Telegram

Tony Romo says that as soon as a chance presents itself to go deep, he'll go deep. It's just that opposing defenses are taking those chances away at the moment.

"Believe me, if there are shots down the field, Iíve never been accused of not taking them," he said Thursday at Valley Ranch in his weekly visit with reporters. "I think more than anything, youíre just going to go through the progressions and see what the defense is giving you."
Sturm did a GREAT breakdown of the 13 formation we run effectively... but not often.

http://sturminator.blogspot.fr/2013/...and-where.html

Quote:
Let's take one offensive situation and one defensive situation today and see what we can find. Offensively, I want to show you "13 Personnel" which, as you have guessed, is 1 RB, 1 WR, and 3 TEs. This is an alignment that makes the defense bring 9 in the box. It screams running the ball, but the second the 9th man heads down into the box, you have opportunities downfield with Dez against a soft corner and a deep, deep safety.

They ran 13 personnel on 2 snaps on Sunday. These are also the 2 snaps in which Gavin Escobar played. Both were in the same drive and both were quite successful. 2 snaps, 49 yards, 1 Touchdown, and it was all on basically the exact same play - just flipped to the other side. Then, they never returned to it.

Just a pretty play and not much the defense can do to prevent us to abusing those sets given that we can run or pass.

The other one I just wanted to highlight a different picture so I can poke fun at people in here saying "Romo only throws once they come open rather than trusting..."

Romo is clearing throwing the ball here before the linebacker clears his zone predicting that Dez will pop clean on the other side.

Now here's where I back off of my "KIFFIN WTF ARE YOU DOING" rants. Sturm breaks down a play where full zone is called.

Quote:
Now, a little game called, where are my safeties? This game is necessary, because I am guessing just about all of us were asking this question when it appeared the Cowboys were playing without any safeties on the 56-yard Touchdown to Gates in the 4th Quarter that really made the game a difficult proposition.

Contrary to my first belief, the Cowboys did have 2 safeties on the field on this play. Here is how they lined up and what their assignments appeared to be. Wilcox to the top was heading downhill to sit on the hook/curl to Gates that had been going all day and Church was going to slide over and play single-high and help the match-up in most need. Sounds good, but once the snap happened, we saw that did not work out as planned.
Now skipping the pictures and moving right to the area of concern...

Quote:
Here is where we see 3 real issues. 1) Scandrick appears to have passed his man in the slot on to the safety help. This requires Church's immediate's attention. We have seen this issue against zones being a killer - several receivers all running verticals. Playing zone is not that difficult if the offense is sending one high and one low. You just make the clear designations and everyone gets their man. But, what if nobody is shallow and everyone is deep? Then, it gets tricky because the safety is not able to take everyone's man. 2) Wilcox is covering nobody and appears frozen in his tracks. I have no idea what his plan is here (it almost looks like he is now playing a shallow zone for Matthews out of the backfield - but so does Scandrick and Sims. That is a lot of personnel dedicated to 1 RB, which shows you how 4 verticals can make you look silly in a zone), but it screams that he is a rookie and had no real plan after his first instinct led him down a poor path. And 3) Both safeties are beyond the hash marks on Rivers' left. Therefore, he knows he has man-to-man with Brown/Carr at the bottom or Gates/Lee in the middle. That is an easy choice and despite Gates not being "open", Rivers considers this close enough and throws to Gates in these situations all of the time and expects Gates to win. Why? Because he usually does. Especially against a LB.

So, what coverage are the Cowboys playing? It looked like Man-Free at first, but now I am pretty sure it was a full zone (based on Claiborne's technique and all of the shallow players squared at Rivers) and Lee just knew he couldn't hand off his man and decided to improv into man on the fly. Honestly, with Wilcox and Scandrick, it sure looks like someone isn't positive what they are supposed to do.

My sources tell me that ultimately, this is a bust on Church. He is trying to help out the slot guy, but in this zone, Claiborne is responsible for the slot and Church needs to stay high and prevent Gates from that opportunity. This is not sound coverage and the single-high safety cannot be wrong. Rivers and Gates thank you for another easy conversion for a Touchdown -
So we have Sims correctly playing his assignment covering the flats. Scandrick incorrectly passing his man to ... a safety who isn't in position. And finally Wilcox who is in no-mans land covering absolutely no one.

Sean Lee recognized the play was FUBAR'd and didn't pass his man to Church, who had to cover the opposite side of the field, and almost made a play on the ball to save the defense from itself.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076 View Post
I was wondering the same thing, if Durant is hurt I don't know what all of this talk about benching is..I'm confused. Are you starting two back ups? Oh of course, if you play mostly nickel it'd be sims and Lee but as you said carter will see the field too.

Last edited by Jas : 10-04-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
In base-D yes. Expect us to play most of the game in nickel though so when that happens Lee and SIMS are expected to start. Carter looks fine in coverage on base defense. Watching him chase TEs and RBs on wheel routes is more of a scheme problem than a player problem though. Sean Lee didn't fair much better in the same coverages. As long as Kiffin wises up and doesn't act them to cover those types of routes we'll see a vast improvement in the LB coverage.

Just for D and Bob since they seem to be peas in a pod on the issue :)

Sturm did a GREAT breakdown of the 13 formation we run effectively... but not often.

http://sturminator.blogspot.fr/2013/...and-where.html

Just a pretty play and not much the defense can do to prevent us to abusing those sets given that we can run or pass.

The other one I just wanted to highlight a different picture so I can poke fun at people in here saying "Romo only throws once they come open rather than trusting..."

Romo is clearing throwing the ball here before the linebacker clears his zone predicting that Dez will pop clean on the other side.

Now here's where I back off of my "KIFFIN WTF ARE YOU DOING" rants. Sturm breaks down a play where full zone is called.

Now skipping the pictures and moving right to the area of concern...

So we have Sims correctly playing his assignment covering the flats. Scandrick incorrectly passing his man to ... a safety who isn't in position. And finally Wilcox who is in no-mans land covering absolutely no one.

Sean Lee recognized the play was FUBAR'd and didn't pass his man to Church, who had to cover the opposite side of the field, and almost made a play on the ball to save the defense from itself.

Yes, young inexperienced safeties being unsure of their assignments, this scares me especially this week, they better be prepared and know what they're doing against manning.
On a side note maybe with Cromartie covering Dez he'll see more one on ones, hopefully dez and romo can exploit that.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
I was wondering the same thing, if Durant is hurt I don't know what all of this talk about benching is..I'm confused. Are you starting two back ups? Oh of course, if you play mostly nickel it'd be sims and Lee but as you said carter will see the field too.
I think the reason why Sims is so sure he is starting is because Denver usually comes out in a 3wr set. That would start us off in the nickel which is where Sims earned the starting roll over Carter starting last week after Carter gave up TD #2 to white boy can't jump.

Designs by me
Quote: