Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-02-2013, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Zach Mettenberger Soaring

Went through and made some tweaks to my rankings today.

The biggest riser was L.S.U. QB Zach Mettenberger, who is now my #4 senior quarterback and #45 prospect overall. Not sure any prospect has generated as much positive buzz in the scouting community this season as Mettenberger. I really think the addition of Cam Cameron to the Bayou Bengals coaching staff is a big reason for why things are finally starting to click for Mettenberger. Of course Cameron has plenty of experience with similar big pocket passers after working with the likes of Philip Rivers and Joe Flacco during his time in the NFL.

I think Mettenberger has conservatively moved into the Rounds 3-5 range but Day 2 or perhaps even Round 1 is a very real possibility. It will be interesting to see if Mettenberger can keep this up the rest of the season then shine in a post-season all-star game such as the Senior Bowl.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Last edited by Scott Wright : 10-02-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hearing you talk about him on the podcast I went and watched tape on him and was extremely impressed. He made some of the best throws I've seen from any quarterback in this class.

I actually have him as my #1 senior QB at this point as, unlike Mccarron, I can actually see Mettenberger becoming a franchise Qb. Also I've mentioned in other threads that I don't see Boyd as an NFL QB at this point.

At this point I'm still going to be skeptical about him until he shows he can keep up this level of play but if he does I think he can be a first rounder.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:43 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's reasons to be skeptical, but he's as talented as any passer in the class. Easily the best pure thrower available. Some of the throws he made last weekend are as good as you'll see at that level. There's still some questions about consistency with how bad he looked last year, but he looks like a totally different guy this season.

I really don't think the quarterback pecking order is as set in stone as some do. Bridgewater is the only guy who appears to have cemented his status...and I think he's being a tad overrated at this point, in part because of the uncertainty behind him. Beyond Teddy, I see a very fluid group with a lot of question marks. Mettenberger has special arm talent, which could take him a very long way in this climate. He still has a lot more to prove, but there's tons of time to do it. Exactly the type of guy who could blow up the Senior Bowl and really get the hype train moving too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 10-03-2013 at 01:50 AM.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sort of looks like a newer version of Joe Flacco to me. I think he needs to learn how to navigate the pocket a little better when being rushed.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Easily the best pure thrower available.
Mettenberger is definitely in that conversation but Derek Carr is in the mix too.

Both guys can really spin it from an arm talent perspective.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:09 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thought he was nothing special until this season. His play has really won me over and I'm a big fan of his prospects for the NFL. His tape vs. Georgia is amazing.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has been great all year. Landry and Beckham have been unstoppable so that has helped, but he looks like a totally different player.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
He has been great all year. Landry and Beckham have been unstoppable so that has helped, but he looks like a totally different player.
Yeah he pretty much has NFL receivers and an NFL coordinator. Probably got high marks against Georgia even with a couple of so so pass interferance calls at the end of that game.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:00 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mettenberger's development has been really eye-opening. Last year he was pretty average and somewhat disappointing but this season I try to watch as much LSU as I can - some of the throws me makes are amazing. Playing under Cameron has really elevated his game.

If Jamarcus Russell can have one good season that allows him to be the first overall pick I have no doubt that Mettenberger can be a first rounder. He has the exact same skill set and none of the character issues Russell had. As long as Mettenberger plays well the rest of the year he should be considered a firs round prospect.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mettenberger is definitely in that conversation but Derek Carr is in the mix too.

Both guys can really spin it from an arm talent perspective.
Yeah, I might not have given enough credit to Carr. I'll still take Mettenberger, but Carr can certainly sling it as well.

I think some people are really sleeping on Carr because of the track record with his last name. There's some holes in his game for sure...but a lot of the guys people have ranked ahead of him have their fair share of issues as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-03-2013, 05:18 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Mettenberger's development has been really eye-opening. Last year he was pretty average and somewhat disappointing but this season I try to watch as much LSU as I can - some of the throws me makes are amazing. Playing under Cameron has really elevated his game.

If Jamarcus Russell can have one good season that allows him to be the first overall pick I have no doubt that Mettenberger can be a first rounder. He has the exact same skill set and none of the character issues Russell had. As long as Mettenberger plays well the rest of the year he should be considered a firs round prospect.
He does have some red flags in his past, but he's been out of trouble since he's been at LSU. Still, it's something NFL teams will look at.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:23 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Yeah, I might not have given enough credit to Carr. I'll still take Mettenberger, but Carr can certainly sling it as well.

I think some people are really sleeping on Carr because of the track record with his last name. There's some holes in his game for sure...but a lot of the guys people have ranked ahead of him have their fair share of issues as well.
I haven't seen any Fresno State games this year. Has Carr gotten better? Watching him last year I obviously liked his arm but that was pretty much it. He had some bad decision making at times and really struggled against pressure.

To me he had a long way to go but when he has a clean pocket and can deliver the ball on time he looks great.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh. Russell wasn't really a problem at LSU, and he obviously was in shape and taking football seriously. Mettenberger hasn't caused issues there, but wasn't he kicked off Georgia for slapping a girl on the ass or something? lol

Mettenberger does profile a lot like Russell, minus the footspeed, hopefully he doesn't get lazy and follow the same path. His arm talent is so nice.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredder View Post
I haven't seen any Fresno State games this year. Has Carr gotten better? Watching him last year I obviously liked his arm but that was pretty much it. He had some bad decision making at times and really struggled against pressure.

To me he had a long way to go but when he has a clean pocket and can deliver the ball on time he looks great.
I haven't managed to catch much of them this year, no. I just don't see the guy even talked about much. Deserves more play than he's getting. Judging by what I've heard, he may be making some improvements. The concerns about his pocket presence is very real though. Still, he's got an interesting package of athleticism and arm talent. That's certainly worth something, even if it doesn't put him in the first round conversation.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 10-03-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

For those who missed it here is a cut-up of Mettenberger against Georgia.

Far from perfect but was under a lot of duress and made some special throws in second half.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
For those who missed it here is a cut-up of Mettenberger against Georgia.

Far from perfect but was under a lot of duress and made some special throws in second half.

Thanks for posting this I was looking for it. I've struggled finding 2013 videos, do you have a specific place you find them on YouTube?

I agree with your assessment and the majority of his mistakes were against quick pressure.

What are your grades on Landry and Beckham at this point? They've been making incredible plays all season from what I've seen.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:09 AM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been waiting for Mettenberger to break out. He was pretty highly recruited and obviously physically has all the tools. With no improvement, I thought he was worth a 6th or 7th round pick and a guy that would make the team as a 3rd QB. But now, he has to be considered a guy a team can bring in to possibly be their franchise QB. Cam Cameron has made every QB a better player, and teams will love the fact that Mettenberger has been exposed to NFL coaching already.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote