Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 10-07-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's available to the public on the 14th or they're going to reveal it then? (The Nexus 5)
Old 10-07-2013, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why is Ma-Ti allowed in the android thread?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Two years with my GNex has it on its last legs. The phone has been the best phone I have owned despite some slowdown and other issues I have had.

The Note 3 appealed to me the most mainly due to the speed and battery life. It's probably way to big for me though but I don't talk on often so it seemed like a win win.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:20 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
if that's all you do, and if your current phone gets 4g/lte/whatever, i probably wouldn't bother.

my x was dying, then my nexus (to replace it) got stolen, or i might not have bothered upgrading.
I don't have LTE. That might just be a good rationalization to upgrade. My Mom's older iPhone recently broke as well and she's been using a cheap flip phone. Suppose I could give her my S2 and rationalize it that was as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It's available to the public on the 14th or they're going to reveal it then? (The Nexus 5)
Heard release, but there's so many people trying to be "I'M A BIG DEAL SMARTPHONE BLOGGER PERSON" these days that it's tough to separate just what's accurate from what isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
The Note 3 appealed to me the most mainly due to the speed and battery life. It's probably way to big for me though but I don't talk on often so it seemed like a win win.
Yeah, the Note 3 actually makes a lot more sense to me than I initially thought after mulling it over a bit...but I just can't drop the $800 off contract and have it be worth it for my use case. I love what T-Mobile is doing with the no contract stuff and I'm pretty happy with my service, but I really wish I had managed to wrangle out one more update. I was due this month as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do miss my GNex. The droid maxx is cool but it's just not as vanilla as the nexus is.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Yeah, the Note 3 actually makes a lot more sense to me than I initially thought after mulling it over a bit...but I just can't drop the $800 off contract and have it be worth it for my use case. I love what T-Mobile is doing with the no contract stuff and I'm pretty happy with my service, but I really wish I had managed to wrangle out one more update. I was due this month as well.
I agree with your earlier post. The Nexus 5 is really underwhelming for me. I always thought they were supposed to be the flagship phones and it seems like the last two renditions were either iPhone "s" like or just catching up to the technology.

I would just rather get the Note, root it and either throw Cryo or stock Kit Kat when it comes out. I am contemplating just updating and getting the Note free and saving the cash but it would involve me losing my unlimited which I am really hesitant to do... I just don't know.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't exactly call the Nexus 5 underwhelming though. It's on par with the 5S in most benchmarks I've seen. Better in some, even. That's pretty impressive when you consider the price difference between the two.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-07-2013, 01:31 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly call the Nexus 5 underwhelming though. It's on par with the 5S in most benchmarks I've seen. Better in some, even. That's pretty impressive when you consider the price difference between the two.
Price wise sure. I am more just looking at the fact that the GNex seemed to be the revolutionary phone for the time. Two years ago a Dual Core, 1 GB Ram phone was pretty much unheard of.

The Nexus 4 just seemed to be an "S" phone with some minor upgrades and no LTE and the 5 seems to be pulling an Apple and catching up to the technology not surpassing it like I had hoped.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Was it though? The S2 was released 7 months earlier and was on-par specs wise. The Optimus 2X was released nearly a year earlier. Didn't have 1GB of RAM, but the experience was close enough and the dual core was the bigger innovation. I remember other phones floating around with those kind of specs as well.

Innovation is great, but we're starting to reach the point of diminishing returns for the way most people use their phones in terms of just cranking up the specs approach. Apple actually pushed things forward a bit there with the 64bit thing, but that's not even going to make a huge difference for most people for at least a few years. The only legitimate innovation I've seen from any company with smartphones lately has been the Ubuntu phone, which failed to reach it's funding goal and may never see the light of day.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-07-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Um...HELLO?!

Finger print security biznotch.

#iPhoneIn2013
Old 10-07-2013, 01:54 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Was it though? The S2 was released 7 months earlier and was on-par specs wise. The Optimus 2X was released nearly a year earlier. Didn't have 1GB of RAM, but the experience was close enough and the dual core was the bigger innovation. I remember other phones floating around with those kind of specs as well.

Innovation is great, but we're starting to reach the point of diminishing returns for the way most people use their phones in terms of just cranking up the specs approach. Apple actually pushed things forward a bit there with the 64bit thing, but that's not even going to make a huge difference for most people for at least a few years. The only legitimate innovation I've seen from any company with smartphones lately has been the Ubuntu phone, which failed to reach it's funding goal and may never see the light of day.
That is a fair point.

I guess at some point the advances is technology is going to surpass the use of the public and I would venture to guess that time is approaching quickly if not here now.

It seems the the gimmicks are the next wave (Google Glass, Galaxy Gear)
Old 10-07-2013, 02:18 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

So for shits and giggles I wanted to see how much I would pay for a plan though Verizon for 450 Min, Unlimited Text and 4 GB of data.

Well that doesn't exist so I would have to do the sharing plan for unlimited, unlimited and 4 GB which is $70... I thought that isn't so bad. Then I realized its $40 just to have a phone on that plan so the bill is in excess of $110 a month.

**** that ****. I am just going to stick with my 450 Unlimited Text and Data for $70 a month and buy the damn phone out right.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Who is your current provider Cain?
Old 10-07-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Verizon. But I pay $75 a month for my grandfathered plan but I would have to pay $120 for that Share everything ********.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't give up my unlimited. Its worth a bunch if you want to sell the account too. Im just going to use my moms upgrade because she isn't unlimited. Transfer my upgrade to her and buy it and then just activate it on my line.

I would go over my limit just on netflix. I also use it for everthing else and some minor tethering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Verizon. But I pay $75 a month for my grandfathered plan but I would have to pay $120 for that Share everything ********.
Once you start adding multiple devices to the share everything plan, it actually makes a lot of sense. My girlfriend and I both have smart phones and we are on the same plan. We share 2 GB of data (we rarely use over 1 GB/ month), unlimited text and talk, and we pay $130 a month before my corporate discount, and about $115 after.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 PM    (permalink
ryno626
Rookie

ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So for shits and giggles I wanted to see how much I would pay for a plan though Verizon for 450 Min, Unlimited Text and 4 GB of data.

Well that doesn't exist so I would have to do the sharing plan for unlimited, unlimited and 4 GB which is $70... I thought that isn't so bad. Then I realized its $40 just to have a phone on that plan so the bill is in excess of $110 a month.

**** that ****. I am just going to stick with my 450 Unlimited Text and Data for $70 a month and buy the damn phone out right.
Verizon offers new data plans to try get you to resign the contract if you're out of contract and still on unlimited data. There are also installment plans that can help lighten the load of that retail price purchase in store.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:09 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Its not worth while though. The bill its self is more for less and I can afford the phone. I just thought it would be nice to save $400.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will get it

Quote:
LG's new Nexus 5 may launch with a price tag of $299.

A tip received by blog site Phone Arena claims the 16GB Nexus 5 will sell for $299 and the 32GB version for $399. Further, the tipster said the 16GB edition will come with a 2300mAh cell battery, while the 32GB model will be equipped with a 3000mAh cell battery.

In contrast, the Nexus 4 costs $299 for 8GB and $349 for 16GB. Both Nexus 4 models offer a 2100mAh cell battery.

The tip comes from an anonymous source and so should be taken with a grain of salt. But the information sounds credible, as LG likely would want to bump up the storage options for the next unlocked Nexus yet keep the pricing in line.

A "source familiar with Google" recently told TechRadar that the Nexus 5 would cost "half the price" of the iPhone 5S, which puts the smartphone at a slightly higher price point. The 5S sells unlocked for $649, giving the Nexus a price tag of around $324. An alleged copy of a Nexus 5 service manual, which has since been removed at LG's request, revealed many of the phone's key specs.

Last edited by Bert Macklin : 10-08-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:45 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I'm almost positive that once my contract expires, I'm switching to tmobile and getting unlimited everything.

Now the question is do I suck it up and pay 650 for an iPhone on tmobile or do I pay 300 for a Nexus?

Either way I have to wait 1 more year, but that's ultimately what it's going to come down to.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nexus 6 ftw
Old 10-08-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

I really doubt the Nexus 5 will have a 3000mAh battery.

The Note 3 only has 3200 and its considerably bigger... but if they in fact do incorporated that little awesome fact then the Nexus 5 might have to be what I get.

I don't want to wait though...
Old 10-08-2013, 04:01 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

T-mobile definitely has the best and cheapest unlimited plan out there. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be picking up my new phone I'm on the fence on a few phones.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Hell I do the $30 unlimited text/data with only 100 minutes. I never use them all.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only reason I put up with Sprint's crapfest because of the unlimited data. I get 4G in the places that matter and I gobble up data.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote