Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 10-07-2013, 01:43 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll watch if it's convenient this season. I'm not going out of my way to watch this team tank though so if I've got something better going on, I'm doing that instead. Plus I'm thinking about following the young QBs I love more closely like Tannehill and Bradford, since the giants suck this year anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Seriously guys, watch the games. I don't care if we're down 42-0. Watch the games.

Don't be that guy. I'm watching the whole game no matter how bad we suck. Always.
Oh I'll watch the games. I'm just not going out of my way to get to a bar while I'm on vacation to watch a game. It will be weird though. I don't think I've missed watching a game since the Kiwi "sack" on Vince Young game.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Oh I'll watch the games. I'm just not going out of my way to get to a bar while I'm on vacation to watch a game. It will be weird though. I don't think I've missed watching a game since the Kiwi "sack" on Vince Young game.
That's impressive. I missed the KC game this season but I DVR'd it.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:45 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I follow too many sports not to miss games here and there. Between Hockey, Soccer and Basketball when the Knicks aren't depressing me, and my real life there's just some games I don't get to see. But I went many years only getting to watch my favorite team in all of sports play 2 or 3 times a year before I needed to get back to america cause school was starting. And I grew up in chicago where the giants/knicks/avs weren't on tv very often.

Quote:
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Of course I'm still going to watch. Rutgers/Louisville gets my main attention Thursday night over the Giants debacle though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just follow 1 hardcore. Football is my life. I coached it and watch it and tried to get into the NFL due to my life for NFL ball.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
That's impressive. I missed the KC game this season but I DVR'd it.
I missed the first half of the KC game. But I saw all I needed to see. Haha.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:20 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a football and basketball guy. I only have 2 sports so I'm pretty good with keeping up with both of them. I can't do more than that. The Knicks hold me down during the week and the Giants are what, 16 sundays? Football season goes so fast :(
Old 10-07-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

That's why I love soccer, about twice as many games as football season, but when football starts, the two just create the greatest day of sport to enjoy your sunday when you're not busy.

Quote:
Old 10-07-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Moore strained his hammy. Explains why we didn't see more of him.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Moore is going to be another walking injury?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-07-2013, 06:01 PM    (permalink
BigBlueNorwegian
Veteran

BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post

But seriously, do you guys think the Giants will fire Coughlin this season? Or force him to retire? I could totally see Dino wanting another year to not leave this abomination as his final season as our coach, but will the Maras and Tischs have the balls to fire him? Do they even want to?

I fear for what will happen if they let him stay another year. It's becoming more and more clear that the team is just not responding to him any more.

A Bonekrusher masterpiece!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
JPP enjoys raping offensive tackles.
BigBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

If Coughlin wants to stay I think they'll force him to fire his coordinators and get rid of old dead weight like Snee, Diehl, Baas and Tuck and give him one more year.

Quote:
Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I follow too many sports not to miss games here and there. Between Hockey, Soccer and Basketball when the Knicks aren't depressing me, and my real life there's just some games I don't get to see. But I went many years only getting to watch my favorite team in all of sports play 2 or 3 times a year before I needed to get back to america cause school was starting. And I grew up in chicago where the giants/knicks/avs weren't on tv very often.
Well that is your problem. Stop watching crappy sports and free up time for watching the Giants.

(Being sarcastic because I know GF and others also love soccer)

Quote:
Eh, I think it's WAY too early to predict anything like that. Unless he was injury prone in college?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I was just kidding but it's disconcerting he's had 2 separate injuries keeping him from the field.

I watch too many sports. I've cut down from like 5 yrs ago.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-07-2013, 09:07 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

Hockey and Basketball sorta alternate as my third sport depending on how depressed about my team I am, where I still pay attention to both of them, but only actively watch games in one sport unless I'm watching with a friend. When the Knicks had Donnie Walsh and filled me with hope the Avs where terrible, now that the Knicks have Dolan'd out a few times the Avs made good changes to management to give me hope in them.

Soccer and Football are tied for my number 1 by a good margin. Although the way the avs are playing right now is reminding me why I fell in love with hockey and loved playing it so much. Just love seeing all of that speed, physicality, passion and skill we have up front.

Quote:
Old 10-07-2013, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just can't do soccer. I know it's lame, but constantly missing isn't exciting for me.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 PM    (permalink
touchdownmaker
Rookie

touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this is a blessing. We never pick where we can pick up impact players or trade down and pick up some extra quality picks. I would rather take an LT if they are available if we finish beyond Clowney's reach. We never draft in a position to take a franchise LT. A LT and Pugh would solidify this Oline for the rest of Eli's career.

If we finish with the worst record, than all we have to do is walk away with a Rams like bounty, which would go miles in solidifying our roster, but quick.

If we walk away with Clowney, than we replenish our D-line. Which ends up looking down right dangerous. Every O-line's nightmare, JPP, Clowney, and Moore.

I have lived through all four Super Bowls, and lived through the Ray Handley years. I'm not that worried. If this happens again next year, then we have reason to be worried.
touchdownmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueNorwegian View Post

But seriously, do you guys think the Giants will fire Coughlin this season? Or force him to retire? I could totally see Dino wanting another year to not leave this abomination as his final season as our coach, but will the Maras and Tischs have the balls to fire him? Do they even want to?

I fear for what will happen if they let him stay another year. It's becoming more and more clear that the team is just not responding to him any more.
Coughlin will be going into the last year of his contract next year.

So he will either be extended or fired.

though the latter could include 'volutary' retirement or promotion to a front office job.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is an interesting articles on re-tooling the Giants for next year

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-tool-for-2014

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1479128

any thoughts or comments?

Last edited by Big_Pete : 10-08-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:16 AM    (permalink
BigBlueNorwegian
Veteran

BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
Here is an interesting articles on re-tooling the Giants for next year

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-tool-for-2014

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1479128

any thoughts or comments?

Both good articles. I agree with the main points in both of them, and I see that they both also raise the question I posed about whether Coughlin actually does retire/gets forced to retire after this season no matter what. I'm thinking it actually doesn't happen. The most change we'll see is two new coordinators.

I actually really like the idea of trading Nicks before the deadline. I mean, let's face it, we can't resign him as per now. He's not playing well enough to warrant a big contract from us, but maybe some other team has a need for him? I really like the idea of trading him to Houston in exchange for Ben Tate. It will give us a good RB, which we don't really have right now, and it will give Houston a great secondary option to Andre Johnson, which they don't have. The ideal situation would be to also get another pick out of it.

I do agree more with the bleacher report article when it comes to linebackers, than the NYDN one. I do not see the need to draft a linebacker early, not with our huge needs everywhere. We should only consider DL, CB and maybe OL with our likely at worst top ten pick this draft. I wouldn't mind drafting LBs often in round three and beyond, but not in the top ten. It's not worth it if we're staying in the 4-3. And we have had success signing FA LBs like Pierce and Boley previously, so we might be able to do that again.

I can see this offseason going down a multitude of different ways, but we NEED to do some things correctly. These are my main focus points:

1: Get rid of dead weight in coaching staff, even if you have to undermine Coughlins authority. If he puts up too much of a fight, fire him as well. (Fewell needs to be gone no matter what, probably gilbride as well)

2: Get rid of dead weight in old, injury prone players on the decline.( Webster, Snee, Tuck should automatically be gone, probably more guys as well)

3: Restructure some contracts to maximize cap space before FA (Rolle comes to mind especially here.)

4: Re-sign key players after this season, since it will likely be cheaper coming off such a poor season (JPP, Amukamara, see if you can lure them into signing cheaper deals because of poor play this season).

5: Have a carefully thought out plan in FA that actually fits with our plans for the draft. (Don't spend cap space in FA on the same places you intend to draft players early, we have so many needs that we need to spread our resources around)

6: Maximize our early draft pick returns (Whether that is done by trading down and accumulating more picks, or staying put or even trading up to get bona fide stars like Clowney is up to Reese to decide, but we need to have a real impact draft class this season, no excuses or drafting purely for potential anymore)

7: PLAY ROOKIES. (this is especially important if Coughlin stays, he needs to be told that he has to play the rookies, because the Giants are actually trying to build a team for the future when he's not around anymore here, not just going for a super bowl in 2014, which I think is unrealistic anyways).

To summarize I don't think this is a one-year fix any way you look at it. I think we need to have a two-year perspective on this rebuild, but a lot of good first steps can be made this offseason. If Coughlin can see himself coacing both the 2014 and 2015 season, let him stay with new coordinators and follow my steps, to see if we can make a Super Bowl push in 2015. If not, start fresh now, and make the same moves to field a competitive team in 2015 and beyond for the final years of Eli Mannings tenure here, so he can get that third ring.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I think all of that happens BBN. Most of it at least. This will be a very different team in 2014.

I don't see the doom and gloom that most fans see, but we will have a lot of new faces in our organization next year. I just hope we don't win our way out of the Clowney sweepstakes.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:16 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I'm not trading Nicks for a backup RB unless he's included with a 1st rounder, maybe 2nd. Sorry just not happening.

I'm not doom and gloom with this team either as horrific as it's been.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-09-2013, 09:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Yeah I don't trade Nicks for a RB. You don't trade an asset for something you can find easily in the middle or end of the draft.

Especially when Tate is a FA as well and will require a new contract anyway.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM    (permalink
BigBlueNorwegian
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not trading Nicks for a backup RB unless he's included with a 1st rounder, maybe 2nd. Sorry just not happening.

I'm not doom and gloom with this team either as horrific as it's been.

But would teams be willing to give up that for Nicks? An injury-prone WR who jogs routes and is going to be a FA after the season anyways? I don't really see anyone giving up more than a third-round pick for him. I agree with you guys that Tate for Nicks straight up is a bad deal for us, but I would do it if they included a third-rounder.

And Tate is quite possibly the best backup RB in the league, he would be a starter for plenty of teams in the league.

Quote: