Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:23 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thumper got thumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:23 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
Did you actually read my last post?
Damn, JR killin you.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:33 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Yeah, so I guess bringing up faulty stats (raw yardage) completely disowned by any serious NFL analyst means "killing" the argument. Uh huh.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay, want to use pass offense and defense?

2012: Ravens 15th in pass offense NOPE
2011: Giants 5th in pass offense but 29th in pass defense NOPE
2010: Packers 5th in pass offense but New Orleans (also a top 10 passing offense) was better against the pass NOPE
2009: Saints 4th in pass offense but 26th in pass defense NOPE
2008: Steelers 17th in passing offense NOPE
2007: Giants 21st in passing offense NOPE
2006: Colts 1st in passing offense 2nd in pass defense DING DING DING
2005: Steelers 24th in pass offense NOPE
2004: Patriots 11th in pass offense NOPE
2003: Patriots 9th in passing offense but among top-ten passing offenses Tampa Bay, Indianaplois, New Orleans, and St. Louis had better pass defenses NOPE
2002: Buccaneers 15th in pass offense NOPE

So if you just use passing offense and defense, you get once in 11 years. I guess that is a bit better. You want to use scoring defense? Let's remove the none top-ten passing offenses since they already fail the test.

2011 Giants: 27th
2010 Packers: 2nd so they pass
2009 Saints: 20th
2006 Colts: 23rd
2003 Patriots: 1st so they pass

Okay, we are up to 2 out of 11. Still not what I would define as usually. Let's see where adjusted net yards per attempt:

2012: Ravens 14th NOPE
2011: Giants 4th in offense ANY/A but 17th in defensive ANY/A NOPE
2010: Packers 3rd in offense ANY/A and 1st in defensive ANY/A GOOD
2009: Saints 2nd in offense ANY/A and 8th in defensive ANY/A GOOD
2008: Steelers 19th NOPE
2007: Giants 22nd NOPE
2006: Colts 1st in offense ANY/A and 10th in defensive ANY/A. Chargers, Patriots, and Eagles better NOPE
2005: Steelers 7th in offense ANY/A and 5th in defensive ANY/A. Bengals and Panthers better NOPE
2004: Patriots 7th in offense ANY/A and 8th in defensive ANY/A. Steelers and Eagles better. NOPE
2003: Patriots 10th in offense ANY/A and 1st in defensive ANY/A GOOD
2002: Buccaneers 14th NOPE

So that makes 3 of 11. That is 27%. Is that usually? And don't come back with another argument. I used your chosen stats to prove you wrong. Now, I didn't use DVOA stats because I didn't feel like finding them. But if you want to find me a statistical analysis that shows a direct correlation between DVOA and winning that exceeds that of scoring defense, passing defense, total defense, and ANY/A, I'd be glad to do this little test with that statistic too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:18 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn, JR killin him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[IMG]http://[/IMG]
Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's dead Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saints have the highest number of undrafted free agents on the roster (19/46, including 7 starters)

Seahawks and Patriots are the next highest. Interesting stuff.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:36 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

holy cow this thread's a bloodbath.

edit: just re-read. Can confirm: still murder. and empirical! so rare these days.

Last edited by CC.SD : 10-07-2013 at 06:41 PM.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:38 AM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is how I picture Thumper right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:17 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not enough tears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:52 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Not enough tears.
this enough?:
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually feel bad because I generally agree with Thump's basic opinion. In today's NFL, if you can pass with the best of them, you can be successful. But I wanted to prove him wrong because his Brandon Graham love is annoying and one of my biggest pet peeves is when people spout statistics or trends with no factual basis.

But maybe this could lead to a quality discussion about what it truly takes to win a Super Bowl. In my opinion, you must be at solid passing and winning the turnover battle. By that I mean top-10 in both. Using ANY/A and Turnover ratio, only Baltimore (14th in ANY/A & 8th in turnover ratio), 2008 Pittsburgh (19th & 10th), 2007 Giants (22nd & 26th), and Buccaneers (14th & 1st) fail.

Using those parameters you get 7 of 11. That is a lot closer to usually than 3 of 11.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

If you expand it to all playoff teams, here are the numbers.

Since 2001, 65 teams have finished in the top-ten in both ANY/A and Turnover ratio. 55 (84.6%) made the playoffs compared to just 10 who did not. Also, 13 of the 22 (59.1%) of the Super Bowl teams were in this group.

So in short, pass the ball and win the turnover battle. For this year, the teams fitting thie criteria (Indianapolis, Seattle, New Orlenas, Detroit, & Dallas) are a combined 18-7.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 10-08-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Okay, we are up to 2 out of 11. Still not what I would define as usually. Let's see where adjusted net yards per attempt:

2012: Ravens 14th NOPE
2011: Giants 4th in offense ANY/A but 17th in defensive ANY/A NOPE
2008: Steelers 19th NOPE
2007: Giants 22nd NOPE
2006: Colts 1st in offense ANY/A and 10th in defensive ANY/A. Chargers, Patriots, and Eagles better NOPE
2005: Steelers 7th in offense ANY/A and 5th in defensive ANY/A. Bengals and Panthers better NOPE
2004: Patriots 7th in offense ANY/A and 8th in defensive ANY/A. Steelers and Eagles better. NOPE
2002: Buccaneers 14th NOPE

So that makes 3 of 11. That is 27%. Is that usually? And don't come back with another argument. I used your chosen stats to prove you wrong. Now, I didn't use DVOA stats because I didn't feel like finding them. But if you want to find me a statistical analysis that shows a direct correlation between DVOA and winning that exceeds that of scoring defense, passing defense, total defense, and ANY/A, I'd be glad to do this little test with that statistic too.
I amend my initial statement to say that the team that usually wins the Super Bowl is the one that is most balanced in terms of ANYPA / DVOA in terms of passing or is exceptional with regard to one of those categories.

I.e. The team with a top-5 ANYPA on defense or offense that is at least passable in the other in terms of ANYPA ... OR the team with both a top-10 ANYPA on offense AND top-10 ANYPA on defense.

That would change the list to include:

2011: Giants 4th in offense ANY/A but 17th in defensive ANY/A GOOD
2008: Steelers 19th in offense ANY/A and 1st in defensive ANY/A GOOD
2006: Colts 1st in offense ANY/A and 10th in defensive ANY/A. GOOD
2005: Steelers 7th in offense ANY/A and 5th in defensive ANY/A. GOOD
2004: Patriots 7th in offense ANY/A and 8th in defensive ANY/A.GOOD
2002: Buccaneers 14th offense ANY/A and 1st in defensive ANY/AGOOD

Last edited by AcheTen (Thumper) : 10-08-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just keep changing the parameters of the argument. Your point will eventually be right.

He still dead.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

That's a little better Thumper. Teams in the top-10 in both won 6 of 11 Super Bowls. Still not as good top-10 in offensive ANY/A and turnover ratio but close.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 10-08-2013, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

my thoughts

Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

I made a hasty comment that wasn't completely fleshed out, but the idea was on target.

Now that I tightened up the parameters it's pretty apt.

You have to be exceptional (i.e. top-4) in one or the other and not a liability in either (ANYPA on offense or defense) OR you have to be very good (i.e. top-10) in both.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:00 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
If you expand it to all playoff teams, here are the numbers.

Since 2001, 65 teams have finished in the top-ten in both ANY/A and Turnover ratio. 55 (84.6%) made the playoffs compared to just 10 who did not. Also, 13 of the 22 (59.1%) of the Super Bowl teams were in this group.

So in short, pass the ball and win the turnover battle. For this year, the teams fitting thie criteria (Indianapolis, Seattle, New Orlenas, Detroit, & Dallas) are a combined 18-7.
Just curious, who were those 10 teams?