Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Actually the proper read is the slot. Checking down to DeMarco would be an example of him throwing into bigger windows to avoid the mistake.

In this play, the defense showed 2 deep but the FS sank, which vacated an open hole before the single high on a skinny ran by the slot.

Romo had pressure, but he also had enough time to throw the slot open. That ball should have came out before the slot made his break inside so it would get there by the time he got open into the hole.

Again, throw guys open. Romo doesn't do this as much as he should. It's one of my bigger critiques of him.
The defense took everything away. The read was to the RB. It looks like quarters coverage, man under (to me). I don't see the hole you speak of.

Throw guys open? Where? Seems like your rating him on a scale that no other QB in the league can be judged: video game perfection. The only opening is to the safety valve underneath. Or escape the pocket and try to buy time for something to open due to a break down in the defense.

But no mention of Escobar's terrible route? I can't even call it terrible. It's utterly atrocious. It's football 101. That INT is - technically - on Escobar for allowing a defensive player to undercut that. That is college crap. That is such a terrible route. He shouldn't see the field for the next three games. And Escobar should practice by himself: running square-ins all day long.

When Escobar gets jammed he fades up field instead cutting at 90 and shielding the defender. This is a classic example of putting trust into the wrong players, which makes it a bad decision by Romo. If that was Whitten running that same route, then that's a completion and we aren't talking about this play. Maybe the next play, but not this play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:43 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's clearly cover 3 with a bracket on Dez and two trap/robber safeties. You can tell because the middle safety drops directly in the hole between the hashes and the two outside 3rd defenders play outside technique. Everyone on the field has zone eyes except the press man on Dez who might be straight man with help everywhere but probably more likely has flats. Great disguise. Romo thought it was cover 2 pre-snap, which is why he wanted the TE over the middle.

Escobar's route sucks, but I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a post, not a dig, so it's probably more on Romo (and a great "prevent" disguise, but we know DCs get no love so BAD ROMO).

And it was just terrific defense by trevathan on the subtle re-route at 6 yards (shhh) and obviously awesome close on the football.

As for the slot being open at any point. wtf? Not even close lol.

People underestimate how quickly zone defenders react to the eyes of a QB. The idea that Murray is "open" clicks in your mind once everyone starts breaking on Escobar. He doesn't have the separation if Romo locks on to him at any point. If he had hit Murray there, there are three defenders who would react with the ball in the air and probably limit him to a tiny gain, unless he broke a tackle or two.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
The defense took everything away. The read was to the RB. It looks like quarters coverage, man under (to me). I don't see the hole you speak of.

Throw guys open? Where? Seems like your rating him on a scale that no other QB in the league can be judged: video game perfection. The only opening is to the safety valve underneath. Or escape the pocket and try to buy time for something to open due to a break down in the defense.

But no mention of Escobar's terrible route? I can't even call it terrible. It's utterly atrocious. It's football 101. That INT is - technically - on Escobar for allowing a defensive player to undercut that. That is college crap. That is such a terrible route. He shouldn't see the field for the next three games. And Escobar should practice by himself: running square-ins all day long.

When Escobar gets jammed he fades up field instead cutting at 90 and shielding the defender. This is a classic example of putting trust into the wrong players, which makes it a bad decision by Romo. If that was Whitten running that same route, then that's a completion and we aren't talking about this play. Maybe the next play, but not this play.
After looking at it again, the pressure got there before he could throw him open. So the proper read was in fact the RB.

And seriously? You don't think quarterbacks throw WRs open? That's one of the most important qualities of qb play. The ball has to be out of your hands before he enters the vacated area so it's there when he's there. Come on now.

Escobar did run a poor route. But let's analyze why and the context of this route. Escobar got thrown off balance by a good push by the LB. Romo is eying Escobar and sees him get thrown off balance and sees the LB step for step with him. Yet he STILL throws him the ball.

Yes, Escobar needs to get in front of the defender, but by the time hes knocked off balance he doesn't have enough time to recover and get in front of the defender.

Romo sees this and throws the ball anyway. That's on Romo. You have to see your TE is off balance and look elsewhere. Or just take the sack. Or just check down. Or throw it away. You don't force that one. That was a bad decision.

The best case scenario for Romo on this play is a checkdown to Murray or a throw away. So yes his options were limited. But let's not pretend that he's not at fault here. He still is.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Garrett has also said that Murray was the right read for Romo. All in the past now. This thread needs to die.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote