Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 10-11-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so it looks like asomugha will be inactive as brock takes over the #3 cb spot. which means he could be the odd man out when we get eric wright back. seeing as how cox and morris both play special teams and are signed for next year (cox is a rfa but it shouldn't be an issue to get him back) and aso has neither going for him.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Any one see this ? 49ers actually be trading for Gordon ugh.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...rs-trade-talks
That was reported four days ago and has since been shut down.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To end the why-was-Daniels-and-then-Skelton-cut discussion - The Niners have a lot of potential players (likely 6 or so) they they'll be adding to the roster soon. They need to open up some roster spots and a 3rd string QB could be one of them on a roster that is very loaded. Daniels they wanted to have on the PS and tried to put him in there in-season. The Seachickens nabbed him so they went with a player in Skelton that they had in for a workout previously (likely anticipating SEA's move should Daniels be released). Then, when Bethel-Thompson was waived, they canned Skelton in favor of a guy that they are familiar with and still has PS eligibility, which was there original intention with the Daniels move. Now, they will likely be able to put Bethel-Thompson on the PS soon and free up one of the roster spots they need. Some people on this board are overreacting or questioning the move of who they like more, but I think the roster chess they're playing makes perfect sense and is somewhat predictable.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:40 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Manningham, Wright, Dial, and Tank all start pratice tommorrow :)

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...n-tuesday.html
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Manningham, Wright, Dial, and Tank all start pratice tommorrow :)

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...n-tuesday.html
Finally. So should we expect to see some cuts?

Quote:
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Finally. So should we expect to see some cuts?
Not until the staff feels they're ready to contribute on gamedays. They have a 3 week window before they either have to be activated to the 53, released, or be put on season-ending IR. These guys miss all of the off-season workouts, all of TC and pre-season so it depends how quickly they can get into football shape and impress the coaches at their respective positions.

With MM, if he's anywhere close to 90% healthy, he's still better than anyone else at WR outside of Boldin. I'm sure they can't wait to get him ready for Sunday's. Dial and Tank are rookies, so they'll have to prove their better than guys like Dobbs and TJE. Don't think that will be a problem in Tank's case. If Dial is somewhat impressive, they might just let Ray Mac have season-ending surgery. You could tell against the Cards, he's defintely a shell of himself with that triceps injury. He wasn't as explosive off the ball as he normally is and he got absolutely no push. If that's the best he can give them, they'd be better off giving Dial and TJE the reps there and let those two develop for the future.

Wright is obviously a guy they like but the dilemma is, they probably are going to have cut Morris to make room for him but I'm sure they don't want to. And considering they lost one young CB they really liked to waivers already this year, will they take a another gamble with Morris? Keeping 7 CBs seems highley unlikely. Or they may just cut bait wit Aso but I don't think they will. Still a long season ans having a vet backup like Aso could be vaulable down the stretch if guys get banged up.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 10-15-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
To end the why-was-Daniels-and-then-Skelton-cut discussion - The Niners have a lot of potential players (likely 6 or so) they they'll be adding to the roster soon. They need to open up some roster spots and a 3rd string QB could be one of them on a roster that is very loaded. Daniels they wanted to have on the PS and tried to put him in there in-season. The Seachickens nabbed him so they went with a player in Skelton that they had in for a workout previously (likely anticipating SEA's move should Daniels be released). Then, when Bethel-Thompson was waived, they canned Skelton in favor of a guy that they are familiar with and still has PS eligibility, which was there original intention with the Daniels move. Now, they will likely be able to put Bethel-Thompson on the PS soon and free up one of the roster spots they need. Some people on this board are overreacting or questioning the move of who they like more, but I think the roster chess they're playing makes perfect sense and is somewhat predictable.

nice analysis

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Madirishman again.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 10-15-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Yeah sorry I think I'd rather have Daniels as the third string quarterback instead of adding Skelton and then Bethel-Thompson. Daniels showed more potential than any of those three with all of the time they've had in the NFL combined. Hopefully the front office didn't screw it up and he turns out to be a good player like Marcus Cooper.

Quote:
Old 10-15-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cooper has actually played better than expected. He's solid in coverage and had an INT this past Sunday (yes, I was watching the Chiefs game and cheering for them too). The TD he gave up was more on Berry taking a bad angle as opposed to Cooper just getting beat.

Agree with Ness about Daniels. Sorry but that still doesnt make any sense to me whatsoever.

Regarding Carradine, Dial, Manningham and Wright, I would use those three extra weeks to get them in football shape and hopefully be ready after the bye week. Just need to win the next two games and not suffer anymore injuries.

After the bye week, we'll see who's ready and who's not. In regards to who we should release when those guys are ready, here's my four selections -

QB McLeon Bethel-Thompson

Sorry but im still baffled to see us go from Daniels to Skelton to Thompson in a span of a few weeks. Personally, no need for a third QB if those four guys get activated to the 53 player roster. Besides, if Kaepernick was to go down, its over either way so why waste a roster spot on Thompson?

ILB Nate Stupar

We have plenty of depth at LB and I would rather keep Cunningham instead of Stupar. We have plenty of excellent special teamers. Losing one or two isnt going to hurt.

SS Bubba Ventrone

The only thing that stands out about this guy is the hair. Maybe, im wrong and if I am, someone correct me but I wouldnt keep him.

WR Kassim Osgood

This is if Manningham comes back. The other guys like Moore and Williams can play special teams.

Those are the four players I would release when Carradine, Dial, Manningham and Wright come back.

Honorable mentions - CB Nnamdi Asomugha and CB Carlos Rogers.

I really thought that Asomugha would break out like Rogers did for us in 2011. I was wrong, very wrong. Except for the fact that its a passing league and we may need an extra cornerback later in the season, I would probably release him if Wright gets activated.

People may bash me for including Rogers but im sorry, he still sucks. He's declined badly in the last two seasons plus he's going to be gone come February as he's not worth keeping. If Wright can show that he can replace either of these guys, I wouldnt hesitate to cut either of them.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:02 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're getting back 7 players i think- Wright, Carradine, Dial, Manningham, Aldon, Moody, and Crabs.

To make room and assuming nobody gets put on IR from now until then, i think we cut Bethel-Thompson (with the intention to put on PS), one of Celek/Harper, Marlon Moore, 1 of Kassim Osgood/Kyle Williams, Tony Jerod-Eddie (put on PS but he'll probably get claimed), Jermaine Cunningham, and Asomugha.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
We're getting back 7 players i think- Wright, Carradine, Dial, Manningham, Aldon, Moody, and Crabs.

To make room and assuming nobody gets put on IR from now until then, i think we cut Bethel-Thompson (with the intention to put on PS), one of Celek/Harper, Marlon Moore, 1 of Kassim Osgood/Kyle Williams, Tony Jerod-Eddie (put on PS but he'll probably get claimed), Jermaine Cunningham, and Asomugha.
Aldon is to be determined in regards to when he comes back. Crabtree will be November or December. Moody is on IR with the possibility of returning but doesnt mean he will.

I'm still only counting the immediate four players who could be on the active roster.

I wouldnt release Cunningham, Jerod-Eddie or Williams. The rest, *shrugs*.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

BA sports guy makes the case for Williams to be off the team.

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/san-...catch-machine/

Only 10 catches on 21 targets, and 16 fair catches to 8 punt returns (for 57 yards).

If we had another competent punt returner i think Williams would easily be gone. But its possible that LMJ/Cox/whoever would just muff the ball and be a disaster. I'd rather have a 0 yard fair catch then losing the ball on muffs.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ventrone has special teams capabilities but not much after that. He's definitely expendable

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post

No way they cut TJE. He's young, cheap and has looked pretty good. His PS days are over me thinks. He'll get snatched up with the quickness. If anything, I could see them cutting Dial and putting him on the PS. There's no tape on him and he's coming off a injury. No team would likely add him to thier 53 half way through the season, only having to rely on his college tape and not really knowing what kind of shape he's in. I could see them IR-ing him also. Ventrone has looked very good on STs so I think he's safe. Osgood could defintely be replaced by Moore or Harper if it came down to it. And I think K-10 is safe as well. And I think Stupar could be on the outs when Moody returns from injury, tho Moody is technically still on the 53 I think.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 10-16-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
No way they cut TJE. He's young, cheap and has looked pretty good. His PS days are over me thinks. He'll get snatched up with the quickness. If anything, I could see them cutting Dial and putting him on the PS. There's no tape on him and he's coming off a injury. No team would likely add him to thier 53 half way through the season, only having to rely on his college tape and not really knowing what kind of shape he's in. I could see them IR-ing him also. Ventrone has looked very good on STs so I think he's safe. Osgood could defintely be replaced by Moore or Harper if it came down to it. And I think K-10 is safe as well. And I think Stupar could be on the outs when Moody returns from injury, tho Moody is technically still on the 53 I think.
Moody is designated for return.

Has Moore or Cunningham been seeing ST reps? I've spotted Stupar a few times on punt coverage.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Kyle Williams unfortunately looks expendable. I like him, but I think it might be better if he was let go. He has a league high 16 fair catches I think. And he's done next to nothing as a receiver.

I wonder how Chuck Jacobs is doing on the practice squad.

Quote:
Old 10-17-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah sorry I think I'd rather have Daniels as the third string quarterback instead of adding Skelton and then Bethel-Thompson. Daniels showed more potential than any of those three with all of the time they've had in the NFL combined. Hopefully the front office didn't screw it up and he turns out to be a good player like Marcus Cooper.
It looked like the Niners did, too, but when the Seachickens claimed Daniels, they went with a guy in Skelton that had a good workout with Harbaugh, who was then replaced with another player in Bethel-Thompson that has PS eligibility for when they make moves. If Daniels, was unclaimed off waivers, he's almost assuredly sitting on the Niners PS right now.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 10-17-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He has a league high 16 fair catches I think.
At least they weren't fumbles.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:46 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

First domino just fell. Chris Harper was waived.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/...a-dda0d4aa599e

Wonder if he'll make it to the PS.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Probably going to activate either Purcell, Dial, or Tank for Sunday. I'm guessing they'll sign Harper to the PS if he clears. Wouldn't surprise me if Seattle snatched him right back. Par for the course.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No suprise they let him go and if he clears and they saw what they wanted he should get a spot on the practice squad.
Justone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Probably going to activate either Purcell, Dial, or Tank for Sunday. I'm guessing they'll sign Harper to the PS if he clears. Wouldn't surprise me if Seattle snatched him right back. Par for the course.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
No suprise they let him go and if he clears and they saw what they wanted he should get a spot on the practice squad.
Yep. Thought Harper would be gone since he hasn't been seeing much game action.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Harper was claimed by WR-hungry Packers. No Seachickens or Niners PS for him.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:01 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Re-wwatched the game and I have to say, Brock is playing lights out really. He gave up that big pass against the Titans but he was right there, just mis-timed his jump. Whether its been off-man or press, he's really been outstanding with his assignments and has made himself some money. As a urestricted FA heading into to 2104, I thought he would be fairly cheap to resign but I'm not so sure now. I honestly would make him top priority over T. Brown to be re-signed. Brown has been solid but Brock is younger and seems to only be getting better the more snaps he sees on Sundays. And he has the make-up speed you look for on the outside.