Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 04-24-2007, 05:51 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 5 days to go - my draft possibilities

1 (30)

We've all sort of come to the consensus that the top priority for the Chargers is going to be safety. Everyone has their own opinion of which one they like best and they'll vary in terms of style. My personal preference is a coverage safety over the top who'll allow McCree to play in the box. I know alot of people like Griffin, but I like how fluid Merriweather is and his ability in coverage. I'm a little scared by how poor Texas's pass defense was last college season, even with Aaron Ross, and encouraged by how strong Miami was by comparison. The character thing could work in our favor, pushing Merriweather down to #30.

Chargers pick - Brandon Merriweather, FS, Miami

2 (62)

Our second need is a wide reciever. Vincent Jackson is our future #1 reciever, and Philip has the most chemistry with him having spent 05 throwing to him on the scout team. The playoff game underscored this need. Our WR's didn't do a good enough job of stretching the field, and we were plagued by dropped passes. So, we need a fast WR with good hands that fits in well as a #2. Optimistically this guy would be Jason Hill of WSU, or Steve Smith of USC. Hopefully, the depth of this draft class pushes one of them to #62, but I think we could be reasonably happy with any of these players - Gonzales, Davis, Hill, Allison, Smith.

Chargers pick - Aundre Allison, WR, East Carolina

3 (93)

AJ has made it abundandtly clear that he's always looking at offensive line, and has hinted that he'll spend a first day selection on one. A guard to groom for the future makes sense, because Mike Goff's contract expires after the 09 season, though a right tackle prospect could work out as well, moving Shane Olivea inside, because his body type is more suited for guard.

Chargers select - Allen Barbre, G/T, Missouri Southern

3 (96)

As we all know, Steve Foley was shot last offseason and for all intents and purposes his career ended that day. Shaun Phillips stepped in and became an absolute star, but lost in this was the role he played in 2005 as a situational pass rusher off the bench. Shaun looked like he wore down during the stretch run, possibly due to his ankle injury, but in either case finding another hybrid outside backer as a sparkplug off the bench like Shaun was in 05 would do the entire defense well.

Chargers select - Brian Robison, OLB/DE, Texas

4 (129)

The Chargers have had a pretty lackluster punt return situation ever since Tim Dwight was let go. Darren Sproles was slated to be the punt returner, but broke his leg in the preseason and forced Eric Parker into that role. Parker is good for nothing except catching the ball, something he failed at in the playoff game, and Sproles struggled mightily catching the ball in 2005, so it's in the best interest of the Chargers to find a punt returner. Figurs might not be around, actually probably will not be around, but dare to dream.

Chargers select - Yamon Figurs, KR/PR/WR, Kansas State

5 (167)

Shawne Merriman might be the best player on the defense, but the cornerstone of our defense is Jamal Williams and everyone knows it. He hasn't shown signs of aging yet, and probably won't, but a long term guy to develop would be wise on AJ's part.

Chargers select - Walter Thomas, DT, NW Mississippi CC

5 (172)

Drayton Florence is a free agent after 08, and my feeling is he's as good as gone with Cromartie ready to step in for him, but that leaves a void at nickleback. The depth behind those three was really lacking anyway, so some new blood is needed.

Chargers select - Courtney Brown, CB, Cal-Poly

7 (240)

ILB doesn't seem to be a need, with Wilhelm and Cooper locked up long term, the team being extremely high on Dobbins, and Godfrey possibly returning (which I believe he will). More help on special teams and more depth at ILB would be nice though.

Chargers select - Desmond Bishop, ILB, California

172 (5), 240 (7)
Old 04-24-2007, 05:58 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Would personally prefer Griffin and Hill as the first two picks, but both(def Griffin) will probably be gone by our picks so I don't have much of an objection with them. We were gonna need OL and LB depth so I'd like to see the BPA at those spots in the third also. Like the Figurs pick, could be electric for us, possibly even a deep threat. Can't argue to much with the rest of the pics either, after S and WR, its really just adding a lot of depth.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
Would personally prefer Griffin and Hill as the first two picks, but both(def Griffin) will probably be gone by our picks so I don't have much of an objection with them. We were gonna need OL and LB depth so I'd like to see the BPA at those spots in the third also. Like the Figurs pick, could be electric for us, possibly even a deep threat. Can't argue to much with the rest of the pics either, after S and WR, its really just adding a lot of depth.
Yep, I figured Allison was the most likely to be there at #62, but I'd prefer Hill. As far as Griffin/Merriweather, it's a style preference. For once it would be nice to have a guy that is reliable in tha deep support over the top. Griffin has the potential, but it's Merriweather's bread and butter.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:00 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
Yep, I figured Allison was the most likely to be there at #62, but I'd prefer Hill. As far as Griffin/Merriweather, it's a style preference. For once it would be nice to have a guy that is reliable in tha deep support over the top. Griffin has the potential, but it's Merriweather's bread and butter.
True, Merriweather is great in coverage. Hopefully if we got him he would be the McNeil of the secondary...the guy that takes their group (Oline for McNeil) and takes them from average to great.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:26 PM    (permalink
UncleHulka
Rookie

UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.

Regarding Meriweather:
Was he even interviewed by San Diego? I saw an "official" list on a different forum, and definately remember that his name wasn't included. I'm thinking the character issue has eliminated him from even being a possibility. So Either they get Griffin with a mid first pick via Michael Turner, take Nelson (whose stock is falling) or Weddle at 30... or you're looking at Wendling in the 3rd, or maybe Tanard Jackson in the 2nd.
UncleHulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:29 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHulka View Post
Regarding Meriweather:
Was he even interviewed by San Diego? I saw an "official" list on a different forum, and definately remember that his name wasn't included. I'm thinking the character issue has eliminated him from even being a possibility. So Either they get Griffin with a mid first pick via Michael Turner, take Nelson (whose stock is falling) or Weddle at 30... or you're looking at Wendling in the 3rd, or maybe Tanard Jackson in the 2nd.
Just because they didn't interview him doesn't mean they aren't looking at him...but even so who knows how the management will feel about the character issues.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:20 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i agree with those picks.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:52 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see Walter thomas as a 3-4 NT. He's way too tall and will get undercut by a ton of centers
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:18 PM    (permalink
DonWoods33
Rookie

DonWoods33 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Found this at PFW, love the trade, although I would have taken Woodley at 43, kept the 62 and taken Jason Hill.

http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL...ditorsmock.htm
DonWoods33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:39 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWoods33 View Post
Found this at PFW, love the trade, although I would have taken Woodley at 43, kept the 62 and taken Jason Hill.

http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL...ditorsmock.htm
Not a bad Buffalo trade, and an excellent first rounder with Nelson....don't know if I like moving up again into the second though to take Irons...with Turner gone we would need someone but I would rather stay at 62 and address RB in the 3rd or 4th...
Old 04-26-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
UncleHulka
Rookie

UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.

I hope the draft doesn't shape up that way. I'm not a big fan of Davis or Nelson. And with such a weak RB class, I'd rather take one of them on the second day. Would Irons really be much of an improvement over Sproles, anyway?
UncleHulka is offline   Reply With Quote