Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Rice had 0 plays of 40+ yards in 1996 (and only 11 20+) and averaged only 11.6 yards/catch. His YAC average also fell to 3.0.

The 49ers' get-Rice-the-ball agenda in 1998 actually hurt the offense, as Owens was clearly the better receiver at that point, but they still featured a noticeably slower/less explosive Rice.

My point on Montana is, unless you would also hold Montana's durability against him in an argument with him vs. other quarterbacks, you shouldn't hold Young to that standard. If we were comparing Montana vs. Favre, I doubt the issue of Montana's durability would be brought up by anyone.
Well having Rice on offense still opened up things for other receivers on offense. He still drew a considerable about of attention from defenses.

As for Montana's durability against other quarterbacks, it would depend who is being brought up. If it's regarding Favre, well Favre trumps him in that aspect. That doesn't mean he was a better passer obviously. But he was better at staying on the field. Montana won four Super Bowls though while being one of the top quarterbacks of his era so it doesn't matter. Or rather, that arguing point for Favre isn't that important because of what Montana ultimately accomplished in the end. If it's Favre and Young, well Favre got to two Super Bowls and won one of them. Young only got there once. Both were great passers though. Who knows what would have happened if they had switched teams in the 90's.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 10-20-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Regarding the question here, I will say that the two best passers I've ever seen are Steve Young and Drew Brees. Brees is better mechanically than Young (quicker, more compact release), and better on the shorter throws (Young had a tendency to sail the throws to the flats, which seemed to be a result of his throwing motion), but Young had the most accurate deep ball I've seen. It's a dead heat between the two of them.

Favre at his best beat them both in improvisational throws. That's where he was unmatched - 3rd and 12, pressure is getting there, off his back foot...drilled between three defenders, first down....back broken. Nobody ever took the wind out of my sails as a viewer more than peak Favre.

But for all the brilliant plays he made, you had to live with the added boneheaded moments. Brees certainly has some years where he's trying to force things, but with him it's more a, "I am just that accurate, so I'm going to try this throw" sort of thing, as opposed to just freewheeling. And Young, once he took over the SF starting job, was always smart and disciplined with his passing.

All of these guys are/were much more talented passers than either Brady or Manning. Manning is brilliant with the mental aspects of the position - he gets players open before the ball is even snapped. But in terms of actually throwing the football, he's truly nothing special. You don't want him trying to thread the needle. Luckily, he normally doesn't have to because he so often creates the matchups/route combinations he wants and gives himself easy targets.

And I've already addressed Brady, who is looking quite ordinary this year without enough WR screens being called and with his 6'6" TE having been out up until this week.

And while I'm going off on a tangent...

I'm not a Rodgers fan, either. I consider him to be another scheme guy, though much more athletic than the other QBs listed among the elite. I don't think he's exceptionally accurate.

Rivers has always been underrated, though I despise his mechanics. Tremendously accurate.

Andrew Luck's lack of accuracy makes me seriously ill at times. And...no pun intended, last night's game was one of the luckiest performances by a QB I've seen in some time. The number of bad/dumb throws and deflections he had last night, resulting in 0 INTs...this guy really pisses me off, because on the surface he would seem to possess all the attributes of a great, cerebral QB. His receivers bailed him out on a number of occasions, too.

He even threw the backside on the Spider Y banana on the play in which Wayne got hurt. The fullback was open. No joke.

He's just missing the ingredients to ever reach elite status.

Makes me wonder what the hell the league is going to look like in 5 years, when Manning/Brady/Brees are gone and idiotic hybrid run/pass QBs are taking over the league.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:43 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Rice had 0 plays of 40+ yards in 1996 (and only 11 20+) and averaged only 11.6 yards/catch. His YAC average also fell to 3.0.

The 49ers' get-Rice-the-ball agenda in 1998 actually hurt the offense, as Owens was clearly the better receiver at that point, but they still featured a noticeably slower/less explosive Rice.
But I thought big plays were overrated and that consistent yardage was more important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
But I thought big plays were overrated and that consistent yardage was more important?
For a running back. Not for a receiver. Apples and oranges here.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't agree with the entirety of the post, but that is actually a solid breakdown for some of them as passers. I bet Brees has passes tipped, and also takes as many risks and downfield shots as anyone, yet he's still broken the completion % record TWICE, without having dominant weapons all around him. He's not the best overall QB of all time, but he might be the most precise in terms of ball placement.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote