Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 10-09-2013, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
My leaders after week six:

Jameis Winston - I had to think hard about whether to put Winston on top. I didn't want to over react to one game, but if you look at his numbers he has been very efficient, more so than Mariota. What he did to Maryland's defense was ridiculous and it should be noted that Maryland's defense typically is not a bad defense. They run a solid 3-4 and do a really good job typically of stopping the opponent.

Johnny Manziel - Bye

Marcus Mariota - Mariota's drop in my ranking is a result of him not rushing as much as he used to and his passing being less efficient than the other QB's in my rankings. He's got a big opportunity to put on a show this Saturday against Washington. Boyd has been a more efficient passer than Mariota but Mariota has accounted for more points, 21 touchdowns to 18. Also Mariota has not thrown an interception where as Boyd has thrown two.

Tajh Boyd - Boyd had his best game of the season on Saturday against Syracuse. Since the NC State game his games performances have gotten better and better. Right now I'm in wait and see mode with him. In two weeks after he plays FSU we'll know whether he is a legit contender or not.

Lache Seastrunk - In his first game against a BCS opponent Seastrunk had his best game of the season. The numbers he is putting up are absolutely ridiculous. But like Boyd I'm in wait and see mode with Seastrunk. We will not know if he is a legit Heisman candidate until later in the season when Baylor gets into the meat of its schedule. November is the month that is make or break for Heisman candidates and Seastrunk will have several games in November to make his case for the award.

Fringe:

Derek Carr - If any of the guys who I have listed above get injured, begin to perform poorly, or if their team begins to lose Carr will be able to jump into the Heisman conversation. In the meantime he's going to have to continue to put up 300-400 yards a game and throw 4-5 touchdowns a game and hope that somebody from the list above falls out of the race.

Bishop Sankey - I'm not giving up on Sankey yet. He had a solid game in a loss to Stanford and was key in Washington's come back effort. He's got another shot against Oregon this weekend to make a name for himself on the national stage.
You would have Lache Seastrunk in the mix and not Bryce Petty, seriously?
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
You would have Lache Seastrunk in the mix and not Bryce Petty, seriously?
The list is who I think is likely to win the award and Seastrunk had the Heisman buzz coming into the season and Petty did not. What Petty is doing is amazing and if I had made the list longer he would've been on it. But I see Seastrunk being the face of the team moving forward and generating more buzz than Petty. He's second in the nation in YPG, first in YPC for players with more than 50 attempts, and he's doing all this while averaging only 13 attempts per game. I just think that if someone is going to win the Heisman from Baylor this year it's going to be Seastrunk not Petty.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:22 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Mariota
2. Winston

Rest of the field.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:40 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

jaylon smith for heisman, starting the campaign

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Winston's play so far this season reminds me of RGIII, he's an incredibly accurate passer with a cannon for an arm like Griffin. Here are his stats thus far compared to Griffin's 2011 stats through six games.

Griffin III: 1950 passing yards, 22 touchdowns, 2 interceptions.
Winston: 1850 passing yards, 20 touchdowns, 3 interceptions.

Winston has less rushing yards but more rushing touchdowns than Griffin did at this point of the season in 2011. Griffin's stats are slightly better than Winston's but Griffin was also in an offense that passed it more than Florida State's current offense. Also RGIII did not have the trio of runningbacks that Winston has. I find it very impressive that in Winston's first year starting he's putting up stats that are comparable to Griffin's in his fourth season at Baylor.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the arguments for Winston and Mariota are close at season's end, Mariota will win it because of a sentimental edge:

Mariota has been in college longer and may not be back next year
U of Oregon has never had a Heisman winner
I'm not sure there's ever been a Heisman winner from Hawaii
I don't believe there's ever been a Heisman winner of Samoan descent

Those are some real factors working in Mariota's favor.

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:22 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
If the arguments for Winston and Mariota are close at season's end, Mariota will win it because of a sentimental edge:

Another sentimental factor in Mariota's favor: Samoan football players disintegrate around age 30.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

It's going to take more than a sentimental factor for Mariota to win the Heisman.

He's the top candidate from the West coast, but once you get past states like Arizona and Texas(among Heisman voters), if Winston and Mariota keep up their pace it's going to be really difficult for Mariota to finish ahead of Winston on most Heisman ballots in the South/Midwest/Atlantic coast.

FSU and Winston have had so many 'wow' moments already. Mariota is great, but the shock factor IMO isn't really there the way it is with Winston, highlighted more because Jameis is a RS freshman.

Also, wasn't former Raider and Stanford Cardinal Jim Plunkett of Pacific Island descent?? That would knock out Mariota being the first Samoan/Pacific Islander to win the Heisman.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:38 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think Johnny Football is an amazing CFB player. He is a two man team with Evans. The rest of the aggies are average to plain terrible.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:00 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mannion and Petty need to be right up there too.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
It's going to take more than a sentimental factor for Mariota to win the Heisman.

He's the top candidate from the West coast, but once you get past states like Arizona and Texas(among Heisman voters), if Winston and Mariota keep up their pace it's going to be really difficult for Mariota to finish ahead of Winston on most Heisman ballots in the South/Midwest/Atlantic coast.

FSU and Winston have had so many 'wow' moments already. Mariota is great, but the shock factor IMO isn't really there the way it is with Winston, highlighted more because Jameis is a RS freshman.

Also, wasn't former Raider and Stanford Cardinal Jim Plunkett of Pacific Island descent?? That would knock out Mariota being the first Samoan/Pacific Islander to win the Heisman.
Plunkett was half mexican.

Should be a close race for the Heisman. Personally i dont give a **** about the award but both guys deserve most of the attention. For Oregon there is a whole nother season ahead of them with meaningful games starting with UCLA, who they'll probably play twice, Stanford and Oregon state.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that Mariota has the edge over Winston at this point but it's a two horse race unless one of these teams lose. If Baylor continues to score 70 a game, Petty has to be considered. Mariota has been flawless, although everyone loves what Winston has done. Johnny Manziel is still a darkhorse if A&M finishes the season strong.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Petty is invited only if Baylor wins Big 12

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's a big disingenuous to ignore that Winston does what he does in a Pro Style offense where as Mariota and Petty play in systems designed to put up absurd numbers regardless of the QB.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
I think it's a big disingenuous to ignore that Winston does what he does in a Pro Style offense where as Mariota and Petty play in systems designed to put up absurd numbers regardless of the QB.
What kind of numbers would Jacob Coker be putting up for the Noles this year. I don't think your argument holds water.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:54 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
What kind of numbers would Jacob Coker be putting up for the Noles this year. I don't think your argument holds water.
In Oregon's offense we've seen other QBs put up absurd numbers like Dennis Dixon and Derron Thomas. Baylor we saw it with Nick Florence last season. When offenses have notoriously been stat friendly that should be accounted for in Heisman voting.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's Winston and nobody else stands a chance.

Manziel won it last year with a signature win against Bama. This year Winston's dismantling of Clemson won him the trophy. Mariota is a sexy cat but he's more efficient than spectacular.

Anybody else invited to the Heisman presentation is just decoration.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

If Oregon goes undefeated and finds themselves in the BCS Nat'l Champ - I think Mariota will pull it out over Winston.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 10-23-2013, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

Manziel won it last year with a signature win against Bama. This year Winston's dismantling of Clemson won him the trophy. Mariota is a sexy cat but he's more efficient than spectacular.

Mariota was spectacular against Washington. Like i said i don't care about the award but he's a great player and probably the eventual 1st pick in the draft.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:20 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:

The Clemson dismantling will lose a little luster after they lose two or more games in typical Clemson fashion.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Mariota very much still has a chance. I'd actually list him as my favorite. He's got two big games these next two weeks, providing ample time for a 'Manziel moment'.

Meanwhile, Jameis has played extremely well, but I'm still not sure he's going to get a chance to highlight his ability for Heisman voters. That dismantling of Clemson doesn't help as much as you think. Clemson was getting dominated in all aspects of the game, and there are going to be many people thinking Clemson just isn't that good. People still thought very highly of Alabama after the loss to A&M, which boosted the perception of Manziel's performance. Even if Jameis dominates Miami, I'm still not sure whether that will garner enough national attention. No one doubts that Jameis is an excellent player, but if Florida State keeps rolling through inferior opponents, praise is inevitably going to be diverted to his team in general.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

The issue with Mariota is that he's west coast. Huge east coast/midwest/southeast bias.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

None of that matters. It's all about hype. Winston is riding the hype train right now at full speed. Mariota won't gain ground unless he dominates on a primetime national stage against a decent team. That's a thing Manziel has too, he's been a household name all offseason since he won the heisman and was in the news so much. He's putting on shows too, though the negative perception about his character will lose him several votes.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:04 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It should be Jordan Lynch. He's set the single-game rushing record for quarterbacks twice this season and his Huskies are undefeated. And he's a senior, and he owns everyone he plays. Latest member of the 20-20 club. Give it to him.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:08 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not really, but really.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote