Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEagle View Post
And there were almost 17 million Canadians on average that watched the whole thing.

Winning the Olympic Gold is to Canadians..... what beating the Yankees in the ALCS is to the Red Sox fans, what beating the Cowboys in the NFC CG is to Redskins' fans, what beating the Celtics for an NBA title is to Lakers' fans, and what beating Michigan means to Buckeye fans...... ALL COMBINED. In 2002 in Salt Lake, it was the first time we'd won in 50 years, almost to the day, and people wept. Then.... to do it on home soil 8 years later..... that's special. Especially since it was expected. Not a medal. THE medal. Not the other colors, just the gold one.

And I'm pretty sure the 20% that weren't watching that game, were serving beer to the 80% that did.

And in 2014, it's going to mean almost as much to Canada..... to win gold on Russian soil. Just to prove a point. To the Russians. Again.
And that's why I rooted for the Canadiens.
However, as one of the few here old enough to remember the Miracle on Ice, I will fully claim that the 1980 USA win over USSR (not even the gold medal game) was "bigger" than the Canada over USA was... because it was a historic upset.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 PM    (permalink
DeadEagle
Rookie

DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
And that's why I rooted for the Canadiens.
However, as one of the few here old enough to remember the Miracle on Ice, I will fully claim that the 1980 USA win over USSR (not even the gold medal game) was "bigger" than the Canada over USA was... because it was a historic upset.

I will say that that is correct. Especially considering home ice, political happenings at the time, best on college players.... it was certainly monumental. And in that tournament, there was no actual "gold medal game". Just sayin'.

But insofar as importance goes, for Canadians, the '72 Summit Series win over the USSR is the trump card. From 1963 to 1972, the USSR had won 9 of the previous 10 world championships/Olympics (it claimed silver in '72), and was thought to be invincible. Especially on their home soil, in Moscow. And we beat 'em.

It was truly the first best-on-best international test, and it was a classic. And it really did pave the way for the tournaments we get to enjoy today..... best-on-best.
DeadEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:58 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best radio call ever. Loved teasing my friend when this went down as she was attending Michigan at the time.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 10-24-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:10 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't believe there's no mention of my favorite one...

"There are Minnesota Vikings...crying on the field." LOL
Old 11-09-2013, 10:05 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Can't believe there's no mention of my favorite one...

"There are Minnesota Vikings...crying on the field." LOL
GREAT CALL.....
I agree, perhaps my favorite of all-time.... and interesting for me in that A) I lived in Minny at that time, B) I had to leave my house late in the game, drive to my parents, C) turned it OFF the radio at one point because I gave up on the Cards chances .... got to my parents in time to see it.

It, for those who aren't aware, is what got the Packers into the playoffs. Killed the enemy Vikings, got us in.

That's the same Josh McCown who just beat us this week, all these years later.

Much respect for the dude. He's better than his journeyman label indicates.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote