Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems that if he plays a team from Alabama, he goes off.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like saying things like this but Mike Evans looks a lot like Plaxico Burress to me.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd take Evans over a guy like Tavon Austin who went #8 overall and that has nothing to do with Austin's NFL performance.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:30 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
I don't like saying things like this but Mike Evans looks a lot like Plaxico Burress to me.
Eh, that's not how it works. Mike Evans' NFL comparisons are:

Jordy Nelson
Wes Welker
Danny Amendola
Julian Edelman
Cole Beasley
Eric Decker
Kris Durham
Dane Sanzenbacher

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:07 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Yes, he is a monster. Can't believe Ole Miss held him in check on Saturday. Reminds me a ton of Vincent Jackson.
That's exactly why I clicked in, to say that ..... this is Vincent Jackson. Which is good physically.....
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:10 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Eh, that's not how it works. Mike Evans' NFL comparisons are:

Jordy Nelson
Wes Welker
Danny Amendola
Julian Edelman
Cole Beasley
Eric Decker
Kris Durham
Dane Sanzenbacher
what?

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
what?

I see where he's going with the joke but it doesn't make sense unless he's confusing Mike Evans with Mike Bennett of UGA.
TimmG6376 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
what?

Basically making fun of white receivers and howthose are literally the only guys they ever get compared to.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But Mike Evans is black...
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Evans is a legit 1st round WR, I'd still take Watkins over him in a heart beat though

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
Yeah that's exactly the guy I was thinking of too. Scary part about Evans is that his game may be better suited for the NFL. Will definitely make a run for 1st WR off the board in May.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:31 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been a huge Evans fan for awhile but I admit I had questions going into this year that I wanted to see answered. I wasn't sure of his straight line speed, and I didn't know what else he offered other then jump balls. Literally every question I had this year he answered for me. He's beat teams in a bunch of different ways, nobody can contest him when the ball is in the air, he's 6'5 but he runs and moves like 6'2. Typically when you think about a guy that size you think he's lanky and cant' move laterally, he runs incredibly smooth and is explosive as hell, jumps out of the gym, I'm not sure what else you could want.

He's been above Marquise Lee for me for awhile now and I guess it depends what you want if you rank him over Watkins. I like Watkins quite a bit, but I'd take Evans first in this class. He's got so much more to this game then I thought, and the basketball background he has, with minimal time playing football, and his ceiling is through the roof. He's still got a ton of room to grow and improve, he projects easily to a #1 WR for me, and while I think he tears up the combine I don't need to see any of his test to know he's going to beast. He could make a living in the NFL playing the ball in the air solely, but his well rounded game makes him legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Evans is an intriguing prospect, but I'm most interested in his 40. The Vincent Jackson comparison is incredibly lofty, and I'm not sure everyone realizes how rare Jackson is. Other than Calvin Johnson there might not be a bigger freak in the league than Vincent Jackson. Just to throw it out there: Jackson was 6'5'' 241 pounds. He ran a 4.45 40 time with a 39 inch vertical, and he bench pressed 225 almost 25 times. Jackson completely blew up the combine. It was one of the most impressive performances from a WR prospect you'd ever see.

I thought Jackson was a much more explosive prospect who didn't need to make contested catches all the time, which is all I ever see Evans doing. Jackson could flat out run past anyone and get open. He had the freakish size plus the long speed. I don't think Evans is a slouch, but I don't think he's nearly as fast or fluid as Jackson was. Evans looks a little tight and plays upright. He is going to struggle getting separation at the next level. I mean, he's not very good at getting open in college. I've never seen a wide receiver have success winning contested jump balls all the time.

I'd say Evans is more on Michael Floyd's talent level (I liked Floyd a lot more though). Evans has a wide catch radius, very good hands, great leaping ability and can box defenders out. He has a natural, instinctive ability to shield defenders and position himself correctly. He's shown that he can beat the jam. But right now he runs 9 routes and hitches with a slant / drag route thrown in every once in a while. His route tree is lacking immensely and he's very raw. He has first round potential, but I'm most interested watching his 40 and how he does in drills - most importantly dropping his hips and getting in and out of breaks. I think he has build up speed and only average quickness and acceleration.

Part of me thinks he's not ready for the NFL and another part of me thinks he won't really improve any more in college. I think he's more of a second round prospect right now. That could change depending his workout, but I don't see an overly impressive physical specimen. He's too dependent on the QB making back shoulder throws, or throwing him open to create separation. It sounds like people think Manziel has been bailed out by Evans more than Evans benefits from Manziel. I simply don't think that's the case. I think the jump ball - TD catch - against Arkansas just sticks out more in peoples minds than the dozen back shoulder throws or great ball placement Manziel shows on numerous 9 routes that gives Evans a chance to show off his best attributes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 10-25-2013 at 12:49 AM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:37 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with BigBanger for the most part. Evans is getting excessive hype IMO and, even though I do not put a ton into 40 times, I will look at Evansī. I do not know that he can consistently create separation in the NFL.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
He has first round potential, but I'm most interested watching his 40 and how he does in drills - most importantly dropping his hips and getting in and out of breaks. I think he has build up speed and only average quickness and acceleration.
You hit the nail on the head for me. I think he is a great player with a lot of great attributes but his quickness and acceleration is key. He is making big plays in college but in the NFL those 3 quick explosive steps have to be on point for WR to be great. Your breakdown of Vincent Jackson is insightful.

Quote:
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:10 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
Basically making fun of white receivers and howthose are literally the only guys they ever get compared to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
But Mike Evans is black...
I'm just gonna close this door on the way out. I'm not even sure who I just confused him with

Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I'm just gonna close this door on the way out. I'm not even sure who I just confused him with
http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-...tt_714049.html
TimmG6376 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
Ha could be. Either way I'll just go back into my corner and not open my mouth for a while

Old 10-26-2013, 03:52 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will say this with Mike Evans he knows how to " Wall " off the defensive back with his body. Or like we hear every Sunday now about ten times a game. Make a " Basketball " move. And with the way the rules are called now a days I think CB's can't go through the body to break up a pass or its a flag.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:29 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
I think Evans is an intriguing prospect, but I'm most interested in his 40. The Vincent Jackson comparison is incredibly lofty, and I'm not sure everyone realizes how rare Jackson is. Other than Calvin Johnson there might not be a bigger freak in the league than Vincent Jackson. Just to throw it out there: Jackson was 6'5'' 241 pounds. He ran a 4.45 40 time with a 39 inch vertical, and he bench pressed 225 almost 25 times. Jackson completely blew up the combine. It was one of the most impressive performances from a WR prospect you'd ever see.

I thought Jackson was a much more explosive prospect who didn't need to make contested catches all the time, which is all I ever see Evans doing. Jackson could flat out run past anyone and get open. He had the freakish size plus the long speed. I don't think Evans is a slouch, but I don't think he's nearly as fast or fluid as Jackson was. Evans looks a little tight and plays upright. He is going to struggle getting separation at the next level. I mean, he's not very good at getting open in college. I've never seen a wide receiver have success winning contested jump balls all the time.

If you want to compare him to Vincent Jackson the prospect it can't be with any hindsight, and as a prospect your talking about a guy coming out of Northern Colorado who you knew had the elite physical measurables but those guys with big stats from a smaller school are always in the draft and ton of them don't pan out. The competition Evans is facing is something you have to factor in with the SEC. I just know when I watch him play he's more fluid then a guy who is 6'5, it's pretty easy to see he's not one of those big lumbering runners that can't make quick cuts or fast acceleration, he's not slow at all.

I've seen plenty big slow possession WR's coming out. Dwayne Jarrett, Malcolm Floyd, Limas Sweed, they usually go in one direction and eventually pick up speed but I've seen Evans exhibit far more lately agility and explosion then the typical big chain moving tall WR. I became much more confident in his ability once I saw that.

I don't agree with the Vincent Jackson comparison anyway, he'll probably measure in at 6'4 220, that's my guess but I wouldn't be surprised. Jackson has that Calvin Johnson frame that is hard to compare too many people too for it to fit. But the scary thing to me is he's a basketball player, pretty new to football, but he's dominating SEC defenses as the go to target in their offense.

I'm not worried about the specifics of his combine numbers, but I know he's fast enough to be a difference maker at the next level. He'll probably be a low 4.5 guy but I expect his vertical to be 40.

Quote:
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Mike Evans a lot, but in my time of seriously evaluating draft prospects, if there is one type of player I tend to over value and they end up underwhelming, it's the big, jump ball receiver type.. So it gives me a pause.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:01 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
I like Mike Evans a lot, but in my time of seriously evaluating draft prospects, if there is one type of player I tend to over value and they end up underwhelming, it's the big, jump ball receiver type.. So it gives me a pause.
Everybody should realize this.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:19 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I'm not worried about the specifics of his combine numbers, but I know he's fast enough to be a difference maker at the next level. He'll probably be a low 4.5 guy but I expect his vertical to be 40.
You don't know he is fast enough, that's the thing that is getting everybody.
And it isn't necessarily about how fast, but one thing I seriously want to know is, how good of a route runner is this kid?
I really think if someone drafts him high first, he's going to have lofty expectations and struggle adjusting to the NFL.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:40 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
If you want to compare him to Vincent Jackson the prospect it can't be with any hindsight, and as a prospect your talking about a guy coming out of Northern Colorado who you knew had the elite physical measurables but those guys with big stats from a smaller school are always in the draft and ton of them don't pan out. The competition Evans is facing is something you have to factor in with the SEC. I just know when I watch him play he's more fluid then a guy who is 6'5, it's pretty easy to see he's not one of those big lumbering runners that can't make quick cuts or fast acceleration, he's not slow at all.
I wasn't comparing him with any hindsight. If anything, Jackson has underwhelmed me at the NFL level. I thought he was going to be a Top 5 WR. He's been more in the Top 10 range. But Jackson has been too streaky and too dependent on his speed and vertical ability in the NFL. He's just starting to become a possession receiver (i.e. complete) as well. I'm probably the only person not related or employed by Vincent Jackson that thought he was a first round prospect back in 2005. I had him 9th overall in my rankings. He was my second ranked WR in that draft behind Mike Williams (USC), and ahead of Braylon Edwards.

With the Mike Evans types, I want to see him running a 40 and doing drills at the Combine. His tape speaks for itself. You can pretty much scout him in two games and know exactly what kind of player he is. He's doing the same thing over and over again. Running up the sideline and waiting for Manziel to throw it up to him. If you remove that part of his game, what's left?

My issue is this. If you are making contested catch after contested catch at the college level, and using your size as the main advantage, then you'll probably struggle in the NFL. He runs three routes. All game long. Three routes. That's not going to work. It's never worked... For anybody.

Quote:
I've seen plenty big slow possession WR's coming out. Dwayne Jarrett, Malcolm Floyd, Limas Sweed, they usually go in one direction and eventually pick up speed but I've seen Evans exhibit far more lately agility and explosion then the typical big chain moving tall WR. I became much more confident in his ability once I saw that.
I remember Sweed being a sub 4.5 guy? He wasn't really a slow possession receiver. He was raw and he came from Texas. Aside from defensive backs, Texas produces a ton of busts on a regular basis. So there is that. But Sweed didn't have great hands and he never developed in the pros. He's another guy who feasted off 9 routes and deep post patterns in college. He was just bigger and faster than the players he was going up against.

I haven't seen Evans show much of anything other than go routes and boxing out defenders. I haven't seen him do much after the catch on short passes. I do think he's very talented and I think he's going to go in the first round because of that basketball background, his production and upside. The basketball background might be enough to land him in round one alone. It has produced more and more tight ends and wide receivers in recent years. Including Vincent Jackson.

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of the 6'6'' WR prospects. There's a kid from Rutgers whose draft eligible. He should go in the 5th or 6th round but he'll probably going in the 2nd or 3rd because of that size!!!!! I bashed the hell out of James Hardy when some people were saying he was going to be the next great thing. Everyone said Ramses Barden had so much potential. I said the guy was limited. I'm not saying that's going to be Mike Evans, but 6'5'' guys aren't dominating the NFL unless you're Calvin Johnson.

Right now, I have him in round two, which is a lot higher than I have most of the receivers he's going to be mentioned with or compared to. Watching him at the Combine could push him way up in my eyes. I have to see him there before I can have a firm opinion one way or the other. Right now he's just too raw and winning too often on pure talent / size. I think at this point in time there are very few locks to go in round one. I think Mike Evans is one of them. The talent, potential and production is there. If he impresses at the Combine, then he's probably pushing the Top 10. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran 4.48 type 40. The drills will show just how fluid he is and natural he looks changing direction. If he impresses me there, then I think his potential is through the roof and I think he becomes the best wide receiver prospect in this draft. But at the same time, I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

Right now I have Paul Richardson and Robert Herron as better prospects; fringe 1st round caliber players. Even though I recognize that both of those guys are complimentary receivers due to their seize and Evans projects as a teams primary edge player. Those guys have better speed, route running ability and suddenness that will help them create space. Plus they have talent. If Richardson had better hands I think he would be a big name in this draft where people would be talking about him in the top half of round one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 10-28-2013 at 04:55 AM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:52 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

I think what Alshon Jeffery is doing this year is really going to help Evans. And to me Evans has more " suddenness " to his game.