Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 09-05-2013, 10:24 PM    (permalink
SAGA45
Rookie

SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Big Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee

DANIEL MCCULLERS (DT Tennesee)

Thoughts on this guy?
SAGA45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:05 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I started a thread for him a while back. You can see what people said.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:36 AM    (permalink
SAGA45
Rookie

SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
I started a thread for him a while back. You can see what people said
Only three responses..most recent response was last December.....not much was said. Figured this thread could maybe track him throughout 2013?
Old 09-06-2013, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll leave what I posted in another thread here:

First pic is him when he got to Tennessee, second pic is him now, lookin like Big John Henderson.

Also, this:

Now he needs to take it to the next level on the field. He was very good last year, but not elite. He needs to take the next step and dominate on a consistent basis. He's obviously worked on his conditioning and weight as evidenced by those pics, so maybe he'll be able to stay on the field more now.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Attyla the Hawk
Rookie

Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Few things from my notes on him.

1. World theory. Ginormous dude.

2. Must improve leverage. He gives away his size advantage almost immediately on nearly every play. You'd think he could be an immovable object but he doesn't fare well against double teams often getting pushed around.

3. He has an amazing number of 'almost' pressures. This was a bit of a surprise to me, as guys that size typically aren't fluid/skilled enough to beat opponents laterally. I will watch him very closely this year. He shows a real ability to beat guys through a gap. When he attacks a lineman's shoulder (outside or inside) he can pretty much destroy that angle and get through clean.

He's a guy who in my mind could really accelerate into the top 5 overall discussion. Currently, he's a 25-50 overall prospect. But DTs, like linemen, generally really make a leap between their junior and senior seasons. McCullers seemed to make a pretty good jump last year and I think he's learning at a solid pace. If he can improve his leverage and his stamina, I think he could be a guy who garners a lot of anticipation and hype.

I think as a prospect, he was definitely more talented than Sharrif Floyd was the year before he came out. McCullers is a guy to watch carefully. He's got unique gifts and he shows some real natural talent.
Attyla the Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pit Bull #53

Cool youtube video, but why in the hell can he not do that in a game? Of course he can push around someone he outweighs by at least 50-100 pounds.

Quote:
Attyla the Hawk Few things from my notes on him.

1. World theory. Ginormous dude.

2. Must improve leverage. He gives away his size advantage almost immediately on nearly every play. You'd think he could be an immovable object but he doesn't fare well against double teams often getting pushed around.

3. He has an amazing number of 'almost' pressures. This was a bit of a surprise to me, as guys that size typically aren't fluid/skilled enough to beat opponents laterally. I will watch him very closely this year. He shows a real ability to beat guys through a gap. When he attacks a lineman's shoulder (outside or inside) he can pretty much destroy that angle and get through clean.

He's a guy who in my mind could really accelerate into the top 5 overall discussion. Currently, he's a 25-50 overall prospect. But DTs, like linemen, generally really make a leap between their junior and senior seasons. McCullers seemed to make a pretty good jump last year and I think he's learning at a solid pace. If he can improve his leverage and his stamina, I think he could be a guy who garners a lot of anticipation and hype.

I think as a prospect, he was definitely more talented than Sharrif Floyd was the year before he came out. McCullers is a guy to watch carefully. He's got unique gifts and he shows some real natural talent.
Comparing McCullers to Terrence Cody, they are at about the same level. Will see how much McCullers has improved over the off season but with Cody he was never able to stay on the field for a very long time, and he made it easier for the linebackers but never really made any big plays and conditioning was always a question. To me off last year Cody seemed quicker than McCullers at times but maybe that has improved this off season.

Last year you had Star Lotulelei, John Jenkins, Hankins, TJ Barnes and Kwame Geathers etc...as big NT type prospects in the draft, a lot more huge guys than usual. Lotulelei was legit as a 3/4 or 4/3 DT but a guy like McCullers almost has to be in a 3/4 I feel. He could not do it in a 4/3.

Guys like Louis Nix I feel are above someone like McCullers this year because he is simply more active. Anthony Johnson, Sutton and Jernigan get the nod possibly as well in a 4/3 DT situation or possible 3/4 DE. Could argue Hageman is up there higher than McCullers as well and DaQuan Jones is really coming on strong.

In terms of straight up NT talent, Beau Allen is a damn good player so McCullers has some competition there but in terms of just a natural NT there is not a ton so that will help his stock a lot.

Will be interesting to watch how much he has improved this off season. It was great last year to hear about this huge monster 6-8 NT, but really I hear that 6-8 is a little stretch and again TJ Barnes from last year was just as big as McCullers is basically. NFL teams always want size on that offensive and defensive line though and usually more often than not guys with that size at least get a shot at the next level.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:09 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a huge fan of McCullers.

Just check out the Alabama game from last season to see what kind of havoc he can wreak.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:45 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First DT drafted in 2014???
Old 09-07-2013, 08:01 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he should be, Will Sutton and Louis Nix will probably give him a lot of competition. I haven't seen much of Sutton but for me Nix and McCullers are the top two.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:29 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Scott Wright
I'm a huge fan of McCullers.

Just check out the Alabama game from last season to see what kind of havoc he can wreak.
Havoc? He made a few nice plays against Steen their worst offensive lineman last year and had good push against a backup Arie Kouandjio. He was doubled at the start with Jones and Steen at times. Had his moments against Warmack but for the most part he was a non issue with him and Cyrus pushed him around a few times.

Alabama rushed for over 200 yards that game so not sure how much havoc he created. He made a few tackles but none were behind the line of scrimmage really and he was not having to be constantly double teamed. And if he got free he was not fast enough to close in for the tackle.

Will be interesting if he has improved some quickness and stamina. Everyone loves big defensive nose tackles, but I still see no reason yet as to why he is any better than Terrence Cody as a prospect late 2nd rounder. Unless they are totally elite not sure they are worth such a high pick like Poe. Now if McCullers is productive this year and plays great it is another story.

But most 3/4 teams are better off getting a guy like Terrance Knighton, later round pick but does similar things to the higher drafted guys.

And he is no where close to greats like Vince Wilfork or Haloti Ngata so let us just keep that straight.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He looks like he can play 5-tech not just NT, that's why I thought he had a higher draft value.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:56 AM    (permalink
SAGA45
Rookie

I think he'd be awesome as a 5.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:40 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IDK, I've keyed in on McCullers this year. I'm just not as high on him as many are. Yes, the kid is one of those "get off the bus first" type kids. But he comes off most of the snaps very high. He doesn't appear to be overly quick or fast. Yes, if you run at him he'll hold the point because it's just difficult to move someone his size. But I just see a lot of technical issues with him.

If someone could teach him leverage and maybe get him to shed some lbs to become more explosive....

I just feel he's a 2 down run stuffer that's, right now, a one trick pony and won't offer you anything on passing downs.

IDK. Just my opinion.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't bother spending a draft pick on the kid. I don't think he has much of a future in the NFL. His size is a huge negative. Not a positive. You look at the history of this sport and tell me how many 6'7'' or 6'8'' interior defensive linemen have been worthy of a first round draft pick.

He's too big. He's too slow. He's too bland. Guys like him have never succeeded. It's like the 6'6'' wide receiver that armchair scouts drool over very single year. They don't translate to the NFL. This case is no different. So when I see things like "world theory" or "big planet theory" then it makes me wonder what people are actually watching; or if they're even watching. I have no idea why he's even being talked about. It makes no sense to me. I also haven't heard one positive about his game other than, "He makes big guys look small." This should tell everyone that there isn't anything good to say.

He does next to nothing on the field and his name is being thrown around as a first or second round draft pick? Doesn't add up. I would be surprised if he went in the first two rounds. I'd be shocked if a good GM or good drafting organization actually took him in the first three rounds.

He's the last guy off the ball. He plays with terrible leverage. He displays no technique. He can't shed blockers. He makes no plays. He's not an impact defender. He has heavy feet. Little athleticism. Displays no burst. He's one dimensional - run defender - and he's below average at that one dimension. So we're talking about a big, slow defender who doesn't have much of an impact in the running game. He has less than no impact in the passing game. He can't even dominate college players who will be selling car insurance or working for UPS next year. Oh, and he's raw. That doesn't sound like a guy scouts and GMs will be drooling over.

He's a mid to late round draft pick. Louis Nixx is so much better, and I'm not sure he's a bona fide first round player. He too isn't an impact player - too one dimensional - but he's far superior against the run and has a much better blend of size / athleticism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 11-06-2013 at 08:02 AM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd have to agree with that assessment. I just don't see this great football player with McCullers. I'd love it if he were because the kid has rare size. But all that rare size that he has, based on what I've seen of him, doesn't really translate for the reasons mentioned above. He just seems like a big, lumbering kid who might end up going later in the draft if he's drafted at all. I'd imagine some team might take a shot on him with a lower round pick thinking they could make a backup 5 tech or 4-3 DT out of him. But I just don't see it with him. Maybe he proves me wrong.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:16 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First by the pictures above you can tell he's a worker. Worked on his weight. Second he has some pass rush in him and can make splash plays. So the talent is there. He's just raw. Needs to be coached up.

I think if you draft him at NT he will fail in the NFL. To me he's a 5-tech in a 3-4 system that the Pats used to run.

He has the size to battle with OT's. and could really cause hell for offenses in the run game.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
I wouldn't bother spending a draft pick on the kid. I don't think he has much of a future in the NFL. His size is a huge negative. Not a positive. You look at the history of this sport and tell me how many 6'7'' or 6'8'' interior defensive linemen have been worthy of a first round draft pick.

He's too big. He's too slow. He's too bland. Guys like him have never succeeded. It's like the 6'6'' wide receiver that armchair scouts drool over very single year. They don't translate to the NFL. This case is no different. So when I see things like "world theory" or "big planet theory" then it makes me wonder what people are actually watching; or if they're even watching. I have no idea why he's even being talked about. It makes no sense to me. I also haven't heard one positive about his game other than, "He makes big guys look small." This should tell everyone that there isn't anything good to say.

He does next to nothing on the field and his name is being thrown around as a first or second round draft pick? Doesn't add up. I would be surprised if he went in the first two rounds. I'd be shocked if a good GM or good drafting organization actually took him in the first three rounds.

He's the last guy off the ball. He plays with terrible leverage. He displays no technique. He can't shed blockers. He makes no plays. He's not an impact defender. He has heavy feet. Little athleticism. Displays no burst. He's one dimensional - run defender - and he's below average at that one dimension. So we're talking about a big, slow defender who doesn't have much of an impact in the running game. He has less than impact in the passing game. He can't even dominate college players who will be selling car insurance or working for UPS next year. Oh, and he's raw. That doesn't sound like a guy scouts and GMs will be drooling over.

He's a mid to late round draft pick. Louis Nixx is so much better, and I'm not sure he's a bona fide first round player. He too isn't an impact player - too one dimensional - but he's far superior against the run and has a much better blend of size / athleticism.
Big planet theory is used in relation to guys like Dontari Poe. As a prospect he had terrible film, but you don't find too many guys like him on the planet so he got taken high and groomed up. Now he's beastin' it.

I think a guy like Ted Washington is the definition of that.

McCullers is his own player... he may or may not succeed, but I'm not ready to eliminate his potential based off his size. Certain teams will like him more than most so his value will also vary. He may be a Round 1 guy to someone, but they might not take him if they like someone better.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

He's the last guy off the ball. He plays with terrible leverage. He displays no technique. He can't shed blockers. He makes no plays. He's not an impact defender. He has heavy feet. Little athleticism. Displays no burst. He's one dimensional - run defender - and he's below average at that one dimension. So we're talking about a big, slow defender who doesn't have much of an impact in the running game. He has less than impact in the passing game. He can't even dominate college players who will be selling car insurance or working for UPS next year. Oh, and he's raw. That doesn't sound like a guy scouts and GMs will be drooling over.

First off, let's go on record saying that he has measured in at 6062 in the past. Shorter than John Henderson, and the same height as Richard Seymour and just 1/8 of an inch taller than Marcus Stroud.

If you're freaking out cuz the kid is half an inch to an inch taller than some other guys who have played, then you need to reconsider things.

I don't consider him a first rounder, and never have. But I do consider him a solid prospect that could turn out to be one of the best DLs in the league if he has the desire to.

I see a guy who can play 43 DT, 3-4 NT and a 3-4 DE.

There's several guys in the league that are 6'6" or 6'7" and playing the 3-4 DE or 43 DT position. To discount a guy just because he's a little taller than most is absurd.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:40 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watched the Tennessee/Missouri game last night and keyed in on McCullers. He did basically nothing. Got push a couple of times with a bull rush - had one tackle.

He was double teamed at times, but when he was single teamed he was controlled. Did not display any ability to stack and shed in the run game, even against one blocker (the first Missouri offensive play from scrimmage is a perfect example). Plays way too high. Zero explosion plays - not sure about the planet theory other than he's huge - I can't see him testing out like Dontari Poe unless he's really not trying. How much can he offer an NFL team in terms of pass rush? Looks like a phone booth player - but for such a big man his anchor was a question.

This was my fifth Tennessee game this year and this was the same story in the other games, outside of perhaps the Alabama game where he played a little better. I have a 4th/5th round grade on him based on his play - that may go up post Combine if he works out well, but even then I would be reluctant to be that high on him when his play has been so poor.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:53 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
First off, let's go on record saying that he has measured in at 6062 in the past. Shorter than John Henderson, and the same height as Richard Seymour and just 1/8 of an inch taller than Marcus Stroud.

If you're freaking out cuz the kid is half an inch to an inch taller than some other guys who have played, then you need to reconsider things.

I don't consider him a first rounder, and never have. But I do consider him a solid prospect that could turn out to be one of the best DLs in the league if he has the desire to.

I see a guy who can play 43 DT, 3-4 NT and a 3-4 DE.

There's several guys in the league that are 6'6" or 6'7" and playing the 3-4 DE or 43 DT position. To discount a guy just because he's a little taller than most is absurd.
Well I didn't know he's been measured at 6'6''. Everything I've seen has been 6'8''. And he looks that tall on tape, but it might be exaggerated because he plays so damn high. If that's the case (6'6''), then I like his chances at some kind of success a lot more. But yes, if you want to say I'm freaking out about an inch or two, then yes, I am freaking out over it. Because, like I said, look at the amount of 6'7'' or 6'8'' interior defensive linemen that have been really good players in the league. You didn't name one. And you named some of the tallest and biggest players who were really good in the NFL, but you still didn't name one at the size I've seen him listed at.

Seymour and Henderson were about 300 pounds when they entered the NFL. So in reality, even those guys aren't really good comparisons for McCullers. McCullers is supposedly in the 330 - 350 range. So he's taller than most interior defenders and he weighs more more than most. That's a bad combination. Just like Terrance Cody everyone will say, "He's such a great athlete for his size". No. He's not a good athlete. He's a terrible athlete. He's slow and he can't change directions. Weighing more and being taller makes people slower. It makes people less explosive. It's not rocket science.

Playing defensive or offensive line is about leverage. Most importantly it's about leverage. Second? It's about quickness / change of direction; which basically refers to gaining inside or outside leverage. So two of the most important things about playing on the line is leverage. Then comes technique and length. There's a good reason why James Harrison made a career for himself. Leverage. Playing low (powerful) and playing quick.

Other than length, McCullers has no attributes indicative of someone who can be dominant. He's not quick, he doesn't play low / powerful and he has no technique. And physically he will be limited because he's simply too tall or too heavy footed.

Like I said, I don't think he's worthy of a draft pick. His size is part of my concern. It's not the sole reason why I'm lower on him than others. I brought up his size because that's the only positive thing I've ever seen people say about him. And I don't think it's a positive. I've never seen someone say he has good quickness or good technique, or anything about his game. It's just: "He's huge". "Think about Jupiter compared to Mars. He's Jupiter."
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 11-06-2013 at 10:38 AM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are people still high on McCullers?

It seems the publications have cooled on hi and moved him to the 3rd in their rankings.

Would people prefer Nix in the 1st or McCullers in the 2nd?
JohnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCandy View Post
Are people still high on McCullers?

It seems the publications have cooled on hi and moved him to the 3rd in their rankings.

Would people prefer Nix in the 1st or McCullers in the 2nd?
How different is he from Ted Washington?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't draft him at all. Complete non-factor.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:47 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well I didn't know he's been measured at 6'6''. Everything I've seen has been 6'8''. And he looks that tall on tape, but it might be exaggerated because he plays so damn high. If that's the case (6'6''), then I like his chances at some kind of success a lot more. But yes, if you want to say I'm freaking out about an inch or two, then yes, I am freaking out over it. Because, like I said, look at the amount of 6'7'' or 6'8'' interior defensive linemen that have been really good players in the league. You didn't name one. And you named some of the tallest and biggest players who were really good in the NFL, but you still didn't name one at the size I've seen him listed at.

Seymour and Henderson were about 300 pounds when they entered the NFL. So in reality, even those guys aren't really good comparisons for McCullers. McCullers is supposedly in the 330 - 350 range. So he's taller than most interior defenders and he weighs more more than most. That's a bad combination. Just like Terrance Cody everyone will say, "He's such a great athlete for his size". No. He's not a good athlete. He's a terrible athlete. He's slow and he can't change directions. Weighing more and being taller makes people slower. It makes people less explosive. It's not rocket science.

Playing defensive or offensive line is about leverage. Most importantly it's about leverage. Second? It's about quickness / change of direction; which basically refers to gaining inside or outside leverage. So two of the most important things about playing on the line is leverage. Then comes technique and length. There's a good reason why James Harrison made a career for himself. Leverage. Playing low (powerful) and playing quick.

Other than length, McCullers has no attributes indicative of someone who can be dominant. He's not quick, he doesn't play low / powerful and he has no technique. And physically he will be limited because he's simply too tall or too heavy footed.

Like I said, I don't think he's worthy of a draft pick. His size is part of my concern. It's not the sole reason why I'm lower on him than others. I brought up his size because that's the only positive thing I've ever seen people say about him. And I don't think it's a positive. I've never seen someone say he has good quickness or good technique, or anything about his game. It's just: "He's huge". "Think about Jupiter compared to Mars. He's Jupiter."
I just saw this response. He stood 6062 351 @ Tennesee's Pro Day last year. John Henderson stood 6067 and was one of the best for years. Ted Washington was always listed at 6'5" and was one of the best for years. Albert Haynesworth was 6055 320 coming out. Half an inch or and inch isn't enough to raise concern for me.

Terrence Cody was always overrated, and was 6035 349. He was a space clogger with little penetrating ability and carried 349 horribly. Look at McCullers, guy looks like a left tackle and was has been doubled most of his career and holds his ground or causes penetration. If you want a guy who can occupy blockers to allow your other players to make plays, and that can still cause a little havoc by himself, there's no one better in this draft than McCullers. Watch him against Alabama last season, he was doubled most of the night and when he wasn't he almost constantly pushed the O-Lineman back 5-8 yards. In run defense he held his ground and occupied two blockers to allow his friends to make plays. As a pass rusher he was constantly collapsing the pocket. A NT doesn't need to change direction, he needs to slide into positioning and he does that fine.

James Harrison is a LB. Skillset for LBers and DTs are slightly different. Having said that, for every James Harrison there's a Jason Taylor. For every Dwight Freeney there's a Reggie White. For every John McDaniel there's a John Henderson. Does it really matter their body type as long as they impact games in a positive way?

Like I said, I'm not as high on him as many. I consider him a 2nd or 3rd rounder. But he's got the type of ability Albert Haynesworth, Ted Washington and Kris Jenkins had. They can become dominant players and utilize their size to become their advantage.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:09 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
I wouldn't draft him at all. Complete non-factor.
What about the potential?

What do you mean by non-factor?
JohnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote