Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 10-23-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Re-wwatched the game and I have to say, Brock is playing lights out really. He gave up that big pass against the Titans but he was right there, just mis-timed his jump. Whether its been off-man or press, he's really been outstanding with his assignments and has made himself some money. As a urestricted FA heading into to 2104, I thought he would be fairly cheap to resign but I'm not so sure now. I honestly would make him top priority over T. Brown to be re-signed. Brown has been solid but Brock is younger and seems to only be getting better the more snaps he sees on Sundays. And he has the make-up speed you look for on the outside.
If only we had kept Marcus Cooper. We'll have Culliver coming back next year, along with Eric Wright I guess if he shows something. I guess that means Brown and Rogers might be out.

Brock's play isn't surprising. He was playing decent ball in the first couple of games in 2011 before he broke his hand.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
If only we had kept Marcus Cooper. We'll have Culliver coming back next year, along with Eric Wright I guess if he shows something. I guess that means Brown and Rogers might be out.

Brock's play isn't surprising. He was playing decent ball in the first couple of games in 2011 before he broke his hand.
Its not surprsing to me becuase I always saw the potential in Brock. But some of you, whose names I won't mention said he was awful and labeled him a bum last pre-season/regular season and didn't deserve to make the roster. I read the same thing on a lot of Niner forums. Just goes to show you your only as good as your last game with this fanbase.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:51 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I kind of want to see Morris get playing time at CB, especially this week. Maybe as a dimeback, and see how Cox does at Punt Returner.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Cully and Brock primarily line up as LCB in nickel. If one of them can move to RCB (a real pain in the ass it is with footwork), Brown is gone and Rogers will be replaced if he doesn't take a pay cut and perform well.

Would be interesting to see if Cox replaces Rogers as slot CB down the road as well, and there's Morris as well.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verloren View Post
Cully and Brock primarily line up as LCB in nickel. If one of them can move to RCB (a real pain in the ass it is with footwork), Brown is gone and Rogers will be replaced if he doesn't take a pay cut and perform well.

Would be interesting to see if Cox replaces Rogers as slot CB down the road as well, and there's Morris as well.
I forgot about Cox. He'll be good for depth purposes like he is now.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2013, 09:48 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For those not in the know, Tank has been activated. Cunningham cut(big surprise). Manningham will probably be activate before the Carolina game. They'll probably wait until they absolutely have to, to activate Wright, as we have a abundance of CBs.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:40 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marlon Moore waived. Looks like Manningham's ready.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Moore was such a waste.

Quote:
Old 10-31-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Meh, he impressed in TC by all accounts. But he was always just a placeholder until either MM or Crabs got healthy.

This coaching staff is really starting to irk me with the lack of flexibility with personnel, with games out of reach. Its 42-10 in the fourth quarter and we still has guys like Cowboy, Willis, Bow, Ray Mac, Hitner, and Brooks playing a majority of the snaps and well into the 4th quarter. That's beyond stupid. None of those guys should have played a snap in the 4th quarter. Gore still in the game well into the 3rd quarter. He should have had the entire second half off. I can understand some of the starters on the O-Line having to play because we only activate 7 guys but no reason guys who are banged up like Willis, Ray Mac, Hitner, and Dorsey should have been still on the field the last offensive possession the Jags had. Now if some freak injury happens....someone gets an ankle rolled in garbage time, then what? What's the point of having depth if we act like we're scared to use it half of the time?

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 10-31-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:43 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

aldon smith activated, per 49ers twitter. he's off the nfi and on the 53 man roster.

so cunningham and moore gone, carradine and smith back (and dial). + a healthy dorsey and willis who can rest their hamstring and groin, respectively. and our front 7 just got a huge boost.

still to come: moody, wright, mario, and crabtree.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 10-31-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:14 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Meh, he impressed in TC by all accounts. But he was always just a placeholder until either MM or Crabs got healthy.

This coaching staff is really starting to irk me with the lack of flexibility with personnel, with games out of reach. Its 42-10 in the fourth quarter and we still has guys like Cowboy, Willis, Bow, Ray Mac, Hitner, and Brooks playing a majority of the snaps and well into the 4th quarter. That's beyond stupid. None of those guys should have played a snap in the 4th quarter. Gore still in the game well into the 3rd quarter. He should have had the entire second half off. I can understand some of the starters on the O-Line having to play because we only activate 7 guys but no reason guys who are banged up like Willis, Ray Mac, Hitner, and Dorsey should have been still on the field the last offensive possession the Jags had. Now if some freak injury happens....someone gets an ankle rolled in garbage time, then what? What's the point of having depth if we act like we're scared to use it half of the time?
Yeah, this was my biggest disappointment from last weeks win as well. I figured we'd get up big by the half and then let the backups get some PT. I don't understand it, either.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:

We did that against the Titans they scored two quick touchdowns. The Jaguars aren't the Titans, but still. Gore the entire second half off? I don't agree with that. The fourth quarter, which is what happened. But not the entire second half. Gore probably wouldn't have taken kindly to that either. A lot of these guys also want to stay in the game. As the head coach you have to put your foot down at times, but starters also want to play.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 10-31-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Frank Gore is apparently rated the second highest halfback in the NFL according to Pro Football Focus second only to LeSean McCoy. Mostly because of all the little things. The pass blocking for sure. It's really a shame that he never gets any credit in the mega media circles. Everyone always loves to talk about Adrian Peterson, LeSean McCoy, Arian Foster, Ray Rice, Marshawn Lynch, or whatever. And when Gore is brought up it's usually "he's getting up there in age" kind of conversation.

This might be one of those rare times where you try to bring back Gore for another year. He is just as consistent as they come and hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. I wish the coaching staff would use him in the pass game more.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 10-31-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would definitely keep Gore for 2014. Final year of his contract. Let him play it out and see what happens after that season.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:03 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
We did that against the Titans they scored two quick touchdowns. The Jaguars aren't the Titans, but still. Gore the entire second half off? I don't agree with that. The fourth quarter, which is what happened. But not the entire second half. Gore probably wouldn't have taken kindly to that either. A lot of these guys also want to stay in the game. As the head coach you have to put your foot down at times, but starters also want to play.
Starters also want rest and need rest. Its a long season. You have a game like the Jags, its a chance to give guys a light workload. Its a bad pattern. The reluctance to rely on depth. Its why the defense got worn down last year towards the end last year. When you have opportunities to rest key starters, you take it. Who cares if you give up a couple of TD garbage time? Its a long view approach. I don't care if Gore would have liked it or not at that particularly moment. He's 30 years old..I guaranteed his body would thank the coaches in late December.

As as Gore in 2014, we'll see what happens. But there's going to be logjam of talent at RB again with Gore, Hunter, LMJ, and Lattimore. Depends on what happens with the DBs and who we try to re-sign/extend. Hitner, Brown, Brock, Wright are all UFAs in 2014. I'm almost positive this is Rogers last year with us. Plus, Iupati has yet to be re-signed so we'll see what happens with Gore and his 6 mil price tag.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 11-01-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Starters also want rest and need rest. Its a long season. You have a game like the Jags, its a chance to give guys a light workload. Its a bad pattern. The reluctance to rely on depth. Its why the defense got worn down last year towards the end last year. When you have opportunities to rest key starters, you take it. Who cares if you give up a couple of TD garbage time? Its a long view approach. I don't care if Gore would have liked it or not at that particularly moment. He's 30 years old..I guaranteed his body would thank the coaches in late December.
It all depends on the player. Some want to stay in the game. They like having fun out there. They want to pad their stats. Like I said the coaches have to put their foot down, but I get the feeling Gore wouldn't have been happy if you benched him for the second half.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 05:26 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

More roster moves....Stupar waived, Manningham to be activated.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 11-03-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

You guys should listen to the Better Rivals podcasts from 49erswebzone. The guys that put that together really know what they are talking about not just with the team, but football in general.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Its annoying as hell to see the Seahawks continually squeak by teams like the Texans, Rams, and Bucs. All 3 could easily have been losses. How many breaks are they going to get?

Its also annoying as hell to see Marcus Cooper make a game-changing play every single week. He gave up 1 long TD on a cover 2 play but other than that he's been a stud. He forced a fumble at the end of the game that led to a Chiefs defensive TD.

Today was a bad bye week sunday for us- Carolina won (1 game behind us in the WC spot), SEA won, KC won (lower 2nd rounder), and NO lost (SEA closer to home-field advantage). Honestly, it was the worst case scenario today. Not even 1 thing went our way.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Its annoying as hell to see the Seahawks continually squeak by teams like the Texans, Rams, and Bucs. All 3 could easily have been losses. How many breaks are they going to get?

Its also annoying as hell to see Marcus Cooper make a game-changing play every single week. He gave up 1 long TD on a cover 2 play but other than that he's been a stud. He forced a fumble at the end of the game that led to a Chiefs defensive TD.

Today was a bad bye week sunday for us- Carolina won (1 game behind us in the WC spot), SEA won, KC won (lower 2nd rounder), and NO lost (SEA closer to home-field advantage). Honestly, it was the worst case scenario today. Not even 1 thing went our way.
Eh... nothing you can do about teams not closing out games. It is annoying. Marcus Cooper has looked great but that is what happens when you have a roster as stacked as ours. Some are gonna get away... I expected Car, Sea, and KC to win. The Saints losing was a bit of a surprise.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:53 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:

The Saints losing or winning will have no barring on the 49ers getting a first round bye or not. We have to worry about winning the division first. I keep wondering if the Seahawks are going to keep playing down to other teams' levels or bounce back and get back to dominating.

Carolina will be interesting. They're on a roll right now, but how many legitimate teams have they played thus far? Not really any. I think we'll take care of them at home.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I've said this before, people need to let it go with Cooper. He's is thriving because he's playing press-man 90% of the time. He fits the scheme their running. Here, he would not look the same because our philosophy is different. We don't press man nearly enough and as you saw today, when ask to play off man or zone, he struggles because he's still learning and is very raw. Sure I loved his potential but its not like he would be playing like that, here. Different scheme, different philosophy with the secondary, different results.

I'm not worried about the Hawks. They're winning so I give them credit. Every team goes through some struggles during the season. I'm more worried about us than what the Hawks are doing or not doing. We take care of our business, doesn't matter what happens with them. I'm not worried about any team really. This team is getting healthy for the stretch run. I don't care who gets home-field, or where we have to play. We get healthy and remain injury-free and start clicking heading into the post-season, we can beat anyone, anywhere. Including@Seattle.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 11-03-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
I've said this before, people need to let it go with Cooper. He's is thriving because he's playing press-man 90% of the time. He fits the scheme their running. Here, he would not look the same because our philosophy is different. We don't press man nearly enough and as you saw today, when ask to play off man or zone, he struggles because he's still learning and is very raw. Sure I loved his potential but its not like he would be playing like that, here. Different scheme, different philosophy with the secondary, different results.

I'm not worried about the Hawks. They're winning so I give them credit. Every team goes through some struggles during the season. I'm more worried about us than what the Hawks are doing or not doing. We take care of our business, doesn't matter what happens with them. I'm not worried about any team really. This team is getting healthy for the stretch run. I don't care who gets home-field, or where we have to play. We get healthy and remain injury-free and start clicking heading into the post-season, we can beat anyone, anywhere. Including@Seattle.
Well you'd still rather play two games instead of three games all potentially on the road. And that's just to get to the Super Bowl.

Quote:
Old 11-04-2013, 12:36 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Hawks just can't win the division because if they get home field it is pretty over for the rest of NFC. We may be able to stop the but it depends on the weather etc. Gonna be a fun run now that what 90 percent of the team is healthy?
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:41 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well you'd still rather play two games instead of three games all potentially on the road. And that's just to get to the Super Bowl.
The last FOUR(might be five actually) SB champs were wildcard teams....just saying. Getting the bye is so overated these days. Its about playing your best ball going into the playoffs. Winning the SB is all about getting hot at the right time. We've had a bye for two years now and how has that worked out? Not saying I dont want the bye but its not this huge advantage ppl make it out to be.