Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 11-01-2013, 02:50 PM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bills' defensive line is what really concerns me. Marcel Dareus, Mario and Kyle Williams...might be a long day for our offensive line. This game really concerns me.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man, I really thought the Bills were going to take this one, but no way with it being Tuel Time and all. At least I have the KC defense in fantasy.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Man, I really thought the Bills were going to take this one, but no way with it being Tuel Time and all. At least I have the KC defense in fantasy.
I dunno, when the Chiefs don't have tape on opponents it gets interesting. Look at Jason Campbell last week and Case Keenum the week before.

I guess Tuel played a bit in the preseason but it's still kind of concerning.

And I have no idea why Buffalo never comes to KC, haha. You'd think one of these times they would. Oh well.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tuel is horrific, Vidae. Did you not catch his cameo vs the Browns?
Old 11-03-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm happy for the win. But the Chiefs dodged one today. 2 defensive TD? That just doesn't happen. We play like that in 2 weeks in Denver and it could get ugly.

Reid and company have got to do something about this offense because it's going to get us killed at some point.

"Whew" for the win. And it feels great to be 9-0. But we have some issues on this team that eventually will cost us.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:46 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bills did a great job protecting their young QB. Run the ball (which was killing us today) and get the ball out of his hand quickly. It works against the pass rush that we bring, but it doesn't work an entire 60 minutes. We still get pressures, and we still get picks.

Buttt... yeah, that offense needs to have a lot of work done. It will eventually cost us a win down the road.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also am worried about the offense, but I think the Chiefs are set up well. Strong defenses matter most in the playoffs, which is why year after year we see the teams with the better defenses beating elite offenses in the playoffs. Teams right now are devoting two players each to Houston, Tamba and Poe. One of the ends needs to step up and become a threat in the pass rush.

Also, if McCluster catches that pass the ballgame has a totally different feel. The Chiefs still lack a consistent receiving threat to take the top off the defense.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:33 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eric Fisher had his best game as a Chief yesterday and it's not close. Dud anyone hear Mario Williams name called at all yesterday?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
Eric Fisher had his best game as a Chief yesterday and it's not close. Dud anyone hear Mario Williams name called at all yesterday?
Beyond doubt.

This team has won ths season on TO margin and ST. DEnver is one of the few teams that match up with our ST, so TO could be decisive.

Reid has a history of being extremely good coming off a bye. We will see if the offense can do its part.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:26 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Week 11: Chiefs AT Broncos

What is the point of having a GDT for a bye week?

This is the game almost everyone has been pointing toward for weeks. The first half of the schedule looked soft going in, but no one expected the Giants and Eagles to turn into doormats. The defense has looked very good and excelled at creating turn overs. Running games have hurt us and the last month is not up to the first month.

The last seven games include Denver's #1 offense twice, San Diego's top 5 offense twice and the Colts, plus RG III if he's healthy. We will see what the D is really made of.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not worried about the Chiefs D. I'm worried about their awful O. There is no way whatsoever they beat Denver scoring FG's.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:56 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Chiefs have to find a way to get Avery, Hemingway and Jenkins involved in the down field passing game. If Bowe can step his game up in the short and intermediate passing game combined with Fasano on the seams and McCluster finding soft spots, combined with one of the speedsters stepping up, they should be all right.

The defense has to get Peyton on the ground 4 times to win. Any less than 4 times will be a loss.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I dunno that they have to get him on the ground, but they've absolutely gotta make sure he knows they're coming. Hit him, disrupt the pocket early. Poe is gunna be a huge factor this game. If he can get push up the middle and force Manning to move around, it'll disrupt the entire offense.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From what Iíve seen, I think Indianapolis has fielded the toughest defensive unit against Denver. That said, I believe the Chiefs have better pieces than the Colts at all levels, so I think this team can maximize a similar game plan.

Pagano is a smart mind. He didnít spend much time in a base defense. Thereís little reason. He mixed even- and odd-fronts without sacrificing that fifth defensive back. Most of the time, he ran a 2-4-5 or a 3-3-5 with two tackles and then edge rushers in a ghost six- or nine-technique depending on the alignment of the tight end. He kept speed on the field. In terms of the ground game, those fronts arenít the sturdiest in a traditional sense, but if Manning is going to keep checking into a run, then the Chiefs have succeeded. Taking the ball out of Manningís hands and putting it in Morenoís is a clear win. (And Iím not convinced Denver could sustain rushing success against a well-executed 2-4-5/3-3-5 either. Despite the disadvantage in the numbers game, Pagano slid and stacked his Ďbackers based on offensive strength. The Broncos tried overpowering the Colts at the point a couple times to set the tone, but Pagano used a lot of 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 techniques to the strong side and often kept a third linebacker in the middle of the field. In running situations, he wasnít afraid to drop one of the safeties down into the box as a rover of sorts. And it worked. Denverís offensive line didnít dominate, Moreno couldnít hit cutbacks, and their running game averaged about 3 YPC on the night.)

Robert Mathis alternated between two- and three-point stances and rushed from standard and wide techniques and found the backfield against Denver. Mathis is having a big season, but the Chiefs have the advantage of being able to utilize two pass rushers in that vein to counter protection shifts, whereas the Colts have to make due with Erik Walden opposite of their star. Plus, as noted, Poe adds a special interior presence and pocket-collapsing potential. Even if the Chiefs donít rack up a lot of sacks, I think their stable of pass rushers can move Manning off his spot, disrupt timing, and make things uncomfortable.

On the backend, Pagano ran a lot of Cover 1 and Cover 2 man-under. Which suits the Chiefs personnel just fine. Flowers, Smith, and Cooper are perfect for a game plan like that. That trio is a huge asset against an open offense. I expect a Cover 2 man-under ďbaseĒ and Cover 1 man-under on running downs to substitute a centerfielder for a box defender.

That said, a lot will come down to special teams and offense. No turnovers and good field position. Denver still scored 33 points against Paganoís defense. Manning can score against a good defensive game plan, and heís got receivers that can make things happen one-on-one, so it will need to be a team effort. But I guess I like the Chiefsí chances more than most.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:06 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I love you cudders.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:10 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

That's a pretty good analysis. I've long stated the key to beating Peyton is disguising the fronts. 2-4 seems to be the way to go, TJax and Poe playing a shade and a 3 tech depending on offensive formation strength and sliding Houston or Hali down into a 3 point stance. But the front 7 has to be moving, if Peyton can see where they're solid it's gonna be tough.

Offensively, they need to keep giving the ball to Jamaal. He's easily the best player on offense, and if he's successful it'll ultimately keep Peyton off the field. Knile needs to take the diaper off and come to work, also. Heavy run game, and let Alex Smith boot out of it and hit some of the crossing routes that seems to be the only effective aspect of their passing game.

Peyton needs to hit the ground 4 times, Jamaal needs 20 touches, Alex needs 1 touchdown pass and 0 turnovers, while the defense/special teams needs to come up with 1 and the Chiefs will win. Margin for error is very small.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:57 AM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In terms of the technique of a two-man line, I expect to see some variance from Sutton. Pagano used a lot of 3, 2 and 1, 3 against Denver depending on down and distance, strength, etc. When Pagano used a three-man line, he set up 3, 2, 6 for the most part, from what I saw. If Sutton brought a lot of Rexís philosophies from New York, I think heíll favor a 3-3-5 sub-package over a 2-4-5. But, even out of an odd front, Rexís technique alignments are different than Paganoís. Rex isnít afraid to adopt a more ďbalancedĒ line. Against the Saints, Rex seemed to settle into wider techniques (fourís and fiveís) on the edges, but kept the nose in a zero-technique and floated the linebackers. That worked against a high-powered passing offense, too. But part of Rexís game plan was to get active hands in the B-gap. Clogging that throwing lane is one of the designs that disrupts and frustrates Brees most. So Iím interested to see how Sutton aligns the front. (Or how he evolves the front throughout the game.)

One of the defensive concepts that I loved from Browns at Chiefs was a 1-3-7 look on a 3rd & 10 from the CLE 5. Most teams get passive in quarter personnel, but Sutton got aggressive against a shotgun set with two backs and twins to the field side. Poe aligned over the center with a slight shade. Hali and Houston aligned in ghost nine-techniques. Johnson in a 40-technique. Cooper and Abdullah were left and right corners. Flowers was the slot corner. Smith lurked over the single-side receiver. Berry dropped into the middle of the box before stacking behind Houston. Demps and Lewis operated as two deep safeties. At the snap, the right guard blocked down on Poe and Houston carried the right tackle into the B-gap. Berry, who was stacked behind Houston, rushed the C-gap. The right tackle passed Houston to one of the backfield protectors and tried widening Berryís arc instead. But Flowers, the slot corner, blitzed at the snap and followed Houston into the B-gap as an unaccounted rusher. On the boundary side, Hali dropped into a short zone, Smith rotated to pick up the single receiver, and Abdullah darted for the top of Campbellís drop and got a step on the left tackleís kick. All Campbell could do was hit the hot running back. Which Hali, Johnson, and Smith had caged and pursued short of the marker. So Sutton schemed a double-cat blitz with a simultaneous 3x2 backside overload and still had enough body presence downfield to dissuade an anticipation throw. Thatís the kind of inventiveness that a coordinator needs to beat an elite quarterback. Those kinds of blitzes might work once, but thatís one less possession, and that matters.

That said, the rub routes are the biggest Denver concept that I would have drilled against during the week. Thatís one of their biggest offensive staples, their go-to man-beater, and a huge redzone threat. The Broncos are the best offense in the NFL at executing crossing/mesh concepts right now. And, given Manningís hobbled ankles, I expect them to lean on those underneath rub routes out of twins and trips to create easier throws and widen windows. So tight inside technique on the split, staggered defensive back depth over the slots, trip-side linebacker leveraging the third receiver/backfield option outside, and deciding whether to drop or roll the single-side safety (as long as Denver isnít empty). Youíre still vulnerable to some things. Single-side runs, single-side throws (if bailing to Cover 3 Cloud to defend three verts for some reason), and quick outs, to name a few. But, for me, I could live with that to start and then adjust based on their game plan. Iíd be comfortable with Manning taking one-on-one rail shots or horizontal throws outside the hashes. Make him plant and drive the ball with that arm on those ankles. Or beat the defense with stick throws in the redzone. Which heís more than capable of doing, I admit. Iíd just want to see it first.

Regardless, I think the Chiefs have a real legitimate shot at this game if Jamaal Charles shows up and Alex Smith elevates his sharpness a bit. I just love their defensive personnel and flexible potential. Being the last undefeated team standing and still being ten (?) point underdogs is a sign of some disrespect.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:57 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Lets get it today!

Old 11-17-2013, 11:56 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Well that was pretty much what I was expecting it to be. The defense played well except for the non-existent pass rush. Three weeks in a row now the Chiefs have failed to mount any significant pass rush against some pretty mediocre offensive lines. Today, the DBs played well enough to win if the front 7 would've gotten after Peyton more.

And the offense is just average when they're in sync and real bad when they're not. Bowe drops passes, none of the receivers can get seperation, and Fasano and McGrath are just guys. The offensive line looks like it could be stellar but they have occasional gaffes that just kill Smith. Jamaal Charles wasn't involved enough in the game.

Some bright spots:

Dontari Poe continued to beast out there.

The secondary was good. They were physical with Denver's receivers and really disrupted alot of what they were trying to do. Sanders Commings showed up with a big stick. Flowers and Berry had tough matchups - they each gave some and got some. Cooper gave up the big pass play, but again, Peyton is gonna get his. Otherwise, I thought Cooper played decent.

Allen Bailey played well filling in for Divito against the rush, but for a guy that is brought in on passing downs, he doesn't get much of a push.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:49 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Default Week 12: Chargers AT Chiefs

Discuss the upcoming game against the Chargers here!

This one is going to be pretty important, not only for overall record but for division record.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Denver did not blow us out..we shot ourselves in the foot thus we cost ourselves a chance to win.Oh and BTW anyone know any WR's who can separate from CB's AND who can catch?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

Interested to see how this team responds to it's first L.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:34 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

This doesn't strike me as the kind of team that will fold when a little adversity hits, but we'll have to wait and see.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
Denver did not blow us out..we shot ourselves in the foot thus we cost ourselves a chance to win.Oh and BTW anyone know any WR's who can separate from CB's AND who can catch?
No the Chiefs were in this game with a chance to win...shoot the defense gave the offense the entire 3rd quarter to tie the game and the offense couldn't do it. Would love to get a Marqise Lee or Odell Beckham for 2014.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

If the Chiefs are soft enough to throw in the towel at home against the Chargers than there will be no chance to beat the Broncos in KC. I don't think that will be the case, they seem much tougher than at any point during the Pioli era.

The Bolts have a rookie left tackle and an average at best right tackle going this week, so we'll either see Hali and Houston explode for 6 sacks or be held to donuts.