Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 11-03-2013, 11:38 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
How the hell did Nino have one point in 55 games last year? He certainly has looked better than that.
A teenager who is used to being a dominant junior player being in and out of the lineup and forced into bottom line work while being told he needs to refine his game. He wasn't eligible for the AHL but there was no point in letting him play juniors another year, so he hung around the NHL club all year grabbing crap minutes.

It is the exact same thing that is going on with Grigorenko right now. Except this is already year #2 being burned on Mikhail's contract.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:41 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hate that AHL ban with junior players. There's so many guys who really have little to gain from another year of junior but aren't get really ready for the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:57 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcGee View Post
A teenager who is used to being a dominant junior player being in and out of the lineup and forced into bottom line work while being told he needs to refine his game. He wasn't eligible for the AHL but there was no point in letting him play juniors another year, so he hung around the NHL club all year grabbing crap minutes.

It is the exact same thing that is going on with Grigorenko right now. Except this is already year #2 being burned on Mikhail's contract.

Haven't the Islanders been rebuilding for like, ever? What did they have to lose by letting him get his minutes and hopefully helping him grow into it, even if he needed to refine himself?

Seems like a strange strategy, especially if the end result is giving up on him like they did.

Last edited by yo123 : 11-04-2013 at 12:07 AM.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The whole idea of trading Yakupov is still weird to me. Edmonton is in a weird spot, I suppose. They still look like total **** after drafting all those forwards, which is not surprising but likely tiring up in Edmonton. Those trade scenarios are still pretty wild. I don't know if I can see anything like that happening.

As for the players you mentioned, Hodgson we just committed to as a rebuilding #1 who most likely want to see as the #2 in the future and will carry a respectable cap hit as one. Armia I still have no idea about. He definitely has value, but I just never saw a lot of him in Finland. He ranged from dominant to invisible when I did see him. At camp he seemed like he was trying to do much, a lot of stuff that he can't get away with here. Sometimes he looks great on the boards and then I see reports that's one of his biggest weaknesses. I just wish he was playing right now. I need to see more.

Girgensons is probably the most liked player on the team right now. Being a fan favorite didn't stop us from trading Kassian (which was smart if you ask me) but Girgensons looks real good. Bears his head down, goes hard on the forecheck and backcheck. Ridiculously hard worker with skill that keeps coming out more and more.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:31 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Haven't the Islanders been rebuilding for like, ever? What did they have to lose by letting him get his minutes and hopefully helping him grow into it, even if he needed to refine himself?

Seems like a strange strategy, especially if the end result is giving up on him like they did.
It's tough. I can't say what the right way to develop a guy is, but I think that long rebuild played a part in him not getting much of a top line shot. They were still developing guys like Bailey, Okposo, and Grabner on the secondary scoring lines, guys that they feel are part of their current core, while providing competent players for Tavares to work with. You want some ability in your top three lines to match another line defensively, as well, and Nino was no good for that. Then even as guys like Parenteau leave, some of those aforementioned guys are solid pieces in the lineup, and suddenly Nino has to compete with Strome and Nelson for a roster spot. I don't think there was reason to give up on a player like Nino, and while they did get what they felt was a piece to help their team, they basically did.

Personally, I have been wanting us to play Grigorenko more in a similar situation, but a lot of that is because of the **** rationalization that the coaches give for why he's out of the lineup. I know a lot of the guys that are playing in his place are also young guys that could be future pieces (Hodgson, Foligno, Girgensons, Ennis, Larsson, maybe Flynn) or guys you have to play (Ott, Moulson). So that leaves Leino and Stafford to complain about, as usual.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:48 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The whole idea of trading Yakupov is still weird to me. Edmonton is in a weird spot, I suppose. They still look like total **** after drafting all those forwards, which is not surprising but likely tiring up in Edmonton. Those trade scenarios are still pretty wild. I don't know if I can see anything like that happening.

As for the players you mentioned, Hodgson we just committed to as a rebuilding #1 who most likely want to see as the #2 in the future and will carry a respectable cap hit as one. Armia I still have no idea about. He definitely has value, but I just never saw a lot of him in Finland. He ranged from dominant to invisible when I did see him. At camp he seemed like he was trying to do much, a lot of stuff that he can't get away with here. Sometimes he looks great on the boards and then I see reports that's one of his biggest weaknesses. I just wish he was playing right now. I need to see more.

Girgensons is probably the most liked player on the team right now. Being a fan favorite didn't stop us from trading Kassian (which was smart if you ask me) but Girgensons looks real good. Bears his head down, goes hard on the forecheck and backcheck. Ridiculously hard worker with skill that keeps coming out more and more.
Oh I agree that trading yak would be really dumb for the oilers, but these are the oilers. They're bad at running a hockey team. And are really ****** by just how itty bitty, soft and one dimensional Gagner is. RNH is a stud in the making but he needs a second center who can bring a lot more grit and two way play to their top 6.

And if they do trade him I think buffalo taking advantage of all of the picks and secondary prospects/forwards to get a few studs in would make a lot of sense. Be it making a move for a guy like yak who may need a change of scenery, or just trading up for another lottery pick. And I get the hesitation on moving Hodgson, especially with the dearth of talent you have, but I figure you've still to draft your #1 C, so that means Hodgson, Girgs and Grigs will be the 2nd and third center, and I like the double Gs more for those roles.

Aim for a future core top 9 built around Yak-Reinhart, Grigs-Ennis, Girgs-Foligno, with all of those good young dmen and McDavid also a possibility next year and buffalo could turn this tank into a ridiculous collection of talent.

Quote:
Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

I'm not saying I would withhold Hodgson if it meant a top player coming back, I was just stating each guy's current standing with the team. But if you're trying to get away from softness at the center position, I don't know if Hodgson is the answer.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:01 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not saying I would withhold Hodgson if it meant a top player coming back, I was just stating each guy's current standing with the team. But if you're trying to get away from softness at the center position, I don't know if Hodgson is the answer.
Oh I was just spitballing and thinking out loud, any of your 3 C's would be a big upgrade over Gagner, with a talented winger prospect and a pick or two that seems like the kind of deal for Yakubov that helps both teams.

Quote:
Old 11-04-2013, 06:52 AM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Veteran

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Oilers have like a billion forwards and zero d-men. If they're to trade Gagner/Yakupov, I can't see how any trade that doesn't involve a top prospect defenseman could make any sense. But then again, they traded for Perron when they absolutely did not need him, so what do I know.
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Reborn View Post
The Oilers have like a billion forwards and zero d-men. If they're to trade Gagner/Yakupov, I can't see how any trade that doesn't involve a top prospect defenseman could make any sense. But then again, they traded for Perron when they absolutely did not need him, so what do I know.
Wings will give the Oilers Brendan Smith. He'll look perfect coughing up the puck on their blueline and taking stupid penalties for years to come.

Holland should have traded Smith a long time ago it appears now.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:54 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Reborn View Post
Cause the oilers have a **** ton of good defensive prospect like buffalo. What they don't have are well rounded forwards or anything in net.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2013, 01:14 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Ha. We won. But we still couldn't do it without losing first.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wild are on fiiiiire. I hate how good the west is though.

yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Grandlund is ******* awesomeness this year

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:44 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

Quote:
Wild are on fiiiiire. I hate how good the west is though.

Seriously, the avs have 1 loss and we're still just barely holding onto first. Hopefully the Blues can start ******** the bed so Chicago, Colorado and Minnesota can get a jump on the 3 central playoff spots.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steen is too awesome this season to let this happen.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 11-06-2013, 02:03 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Steen is just not going to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
Seriously, the avs have 1 loss and we're still just barely holding onto first. Hopefully the Blues can start ******** the bed so Chicago, Colorado and Minnesota can get a jump on the 3 central playoff spots.
61-save shutout for Hutton tonight.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

#FreeAdam.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 11-06-2013, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jordin Tootoo on waivers. Does any stupid team dare claim him?
Old 11-06-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Forever shafted. Adam is scoring at Steen pace and carrying that team with all the other young guns up with the big club.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ha. We won. But we still couldn't do it without losing first.

Yeah, that was pretty bad. The Sharks still played like crap though, so in a way I feel like they deserved to lose.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice to see the Rangers actually looking like a real team again. The opening road trip was just brutal. Nice to have Hagelin and Callahan. Unfortunately Nash looks out for the forseeable future so we're missing out best player. I'm extremely interested to seeing the line combos once he gets back though.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Colorado sure did a good job of having 4 guys down low and not actually covering anybody last night. I get it, though. Colin Wilson is just too sexy. That slap pass from Ellis was gorgeous.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:24 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

Yeah seems like I should be glad I missed that game. EJ with the ten minutes, Wilson going back to horrific, Sarich being a mess, our third line being useless, and Nashville fans crying about another big hit to their young defensemen cause the avs are such thugs.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2013, 10:28 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Are we really worse than Florida? Clearly the problem is in our former AHL coaches. Not at all that we are horribly run organizations.

Yesterday kind of showed how bad the bad teams in the league really are.