Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 01:26 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,417
Reputation: 1574
JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
Troll? I'm not trolling, I'm debating a legit argument. But if yall would prefer to debate this topic without someone sticking up for Jim Brown, then fine, have fun having your Sammy Baugh - Barry Sanders debate.
No one is saying not to stick up for Jim Brown, we (or at least I) have a problem with you saying there is no debate at all...

Now I'm interested in you proving Sammy Baugh as not the best player in the league his whole career. I won't pretend I know very much about Baugh's career, but I'd like to see you do it.

Edit: Also, you've proved your own lack of knowledge on the subject. By acknowledgin this as a "legit debate" you've directly contradcited your prior statement that Brown is the clear-cut definite GOAT.

I really hope you don't just leave the conversation though, now that you've kinda backed yourself into a corner.

Last edited by JK17 : 04-24-2007 at 01:31 PM.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:45 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canton 2013
Posts: 4,226
Reputation: 1801
The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.
Default

Charles Follis - HB - 1902 (1st Black Player)

Change the game forever
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,417
Reputation: 1574
JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
still waiting.
I get the feeling you're not gonna get your answer...:p
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:18 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,764
Reputation: 9588
Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
actually, the All-Star game existed since 1939, two years after baugh's career started. what a joke that he he didn't make more before he was even playing. further, the "pro bowl" as it currently stands did NOT exist before 1971, and has NEVER been an accurate indicator of who the best players in the league are.

meanwhile, sammy baugh was an NFL all-pro 6 times, was the only player ever to lead the league in passing, punting and interceptions in a single season and remains one of the best punters in nfl history.

we won't even getinto the fact that baugh wasted a number of years playing baseball instead of football.

your argument is garbage.
Tom Brady didn't make the Pro-Bowl this season.. He's definitely a much worse QB than Vince Young.

Shenanigans.
__________________

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:43 PM    (permalink
flave1969
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 246
Reputation: 26822
flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I put Sammy Baugh in for a reason because in his era he was the best all around player by far.

You can argue whether he was the best QB of his time but he was the first QB past 20000 yards, 150 TD's, and the first QB to significantly complete well over 50% of his passes. Sid Luckman was a fine QB and played on the best team of that era, he is the only one who enters the argument, and he had 17 career picks as well. He never matched Baughs Six passing titles, but won four NFL titles to Baugh's two.

Baugh was the only player to retire in NFL history as the Career passing leader and Career Interception leader and oh yes the Career Punting Leader.

His career merits inclusion in this argument. Of course he was never the athlete Brown and Rice was, yet in his time his impact was as great as theirs.
flave1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,417
Reputation: 1574
JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flave1969 View Post
I put Sammy Baugh in for a reason because in his era he was the best all around player by far.

You can argue whether he was the best QB of his time but he was the first QB past 20000 yards, 150 TD's, and the first QB to significantly complete well over 50% of his passes. Sid Luckman was a fine QB and played on the best team of that era, he is the only one who enters the argument, and he had 17 career picks as well. He never matched Baughs Six passing titles, but won four NFL titles to Baugh's two.

Baugh was the only player to retire in NFL history as the Career passing leader and Career Interception leader and oh yes the Career Punting Leader.

His career merits inclusion in this argument. Of course he was never the athlete Brown and Rice was, yet in his time his impact was as great as theirs.

That right there, especially from someone who sounds like they know a lot about Baughs career, would be undeniable proof that there is no 100% certain answer on this question...
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:41 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,405
Reputation: -62345
jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77
Default

For me the "best Football Player ever" is John Elway...
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:44 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near the Bay
Posts: 5,942
Reputation: 2559
doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.
Default

Most athletic Bo Jackson.
Best Jonny U.
__________________
"The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden
doingthisinsteadofwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Salami
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Bronko Nagurski is the best. He is a cross between Lawrence Taylor and Jim Brown. Only person to be All American at 2 different (non-kicking) positions in College - Defensive End and Fullback. Also, All Star at three posititions in the Pros - he played offensive line when he was too hurt to carry the ball. Original Monster of the Midway. His team absolutely dominated its era. 6'2" 235 pounds. 22 inch neck. size 19.5 ring. 3 time professional wrestling heavyweight champ.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
PapaBearHalas
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami View Post
Bronko Nagurski is the best. He is a cross between Lawrence Taylor and Jim Brown. Only person to be All American at 2 different (non-kicking) positions in College - Defensive End and Fullback. Also, All Star at three posititions in the Pros - he played offensive line when he was too hurt to carry the ball. Original Monster of the Midway. His team absolutely dominated its era. 6'2" 235 pounds. 22 inch neck. size 19.5 ring. 3 time professional wrestling heavyweight champ.
You are not going to get much love with this pick but I have a ton of respect for the reference. Old-timers say this guy was the best ever, bar none.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:30 AM    (permalink
reinar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 213
Reputation: 56
reinar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton all come to mind of people I have watched

Johnny Unitas, Jim Brown, Thorpe, Sayers for people i havent seen but on tape here and there.

picking one is hard, cause its not an ironman game anymore.
__________________
reinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:39 AM    (permalink
DraftMasterG
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Turkey
Posts: 359
Reputation: -81
DraftMasterG needs more cowbell.
Default

DraftMasterG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.