Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
2006 I wanted Nick Mangold to bolster the interior Oline, Reese trades down to draft a #4 DE in the first round who we have to play at SLB just to get on the field.

2007 with Petitgout's departure, I wanted Joe Staley - Reese picks up a CB and relies on out LG handling Eli's blind side

2012 we draft a shifty RB when I wanted Cordy Glenn, at the very least he could have been the mauler OG we badly needed.

I actually think Reese got too fancy, focusing on DB, DEs and WRs at the expense of the trenches. and we are paying for it now. Same issue at LB.

for comparision look at the Jags drafts in the Coughlin era and where they drafted Oline and defensive front seven.

I am half tempted to do a Jerry Reese redraft based on my notes at the time to see who I would have picked.

You wanted the Giants to replace Shaun O'Hara in 2006?

Lets not forget history here. The Giants have a somewhat poor offensive line now. But this is a relatively new problem for them.

I wanted the Jets to spend almost the entire 2006 NFL draft on offensive line help. I was glad when they drafted Ferguson and Mangold and upset they didn't keep going. But in 2006, the Jets offensive line sucked to high heaven. Until I guess, last season, this hadn't been an issue for the Giants for many many years.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:56 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mangold>O'Hara. Mangold was a blue chip prospect who would have beat out O'hara. The competition would have made the OL even better.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Mangold>O'Hara. Mangold was a blue chip prospect who would have beat out O'hara. The competition would have made the OL even better.
And Ryan Clady is arguably better than D'Brickashaw Ferguson, but as much as much as Vernon Gholston was a huge bust for the Jets, Ryan Clady certainly isn't on the list of people I wish the Jets had drafted instead.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
You wanted the Giants to replace Shaun O'Hara in 2006?

Lets not forget history here. The Giants have a somewhat poor offensive line now. But this is a relatively new problem for them.

I wanted the Jets to spend almost the entire 2006 NFL draft on offensive line help. I was glad when they drafted Ferguson and Mangold and upset they didn't keep going. But in 2006, the Jets offensive line sucked to high heaven. Until I guess, last season, this hadn't been an issue for the Giants for many many years.
No but wanted to start grooming oline.

The Giants have done ok with short term patching of holes but really havent been spectacular. But I think that is mostly due to quality coaching from Flaherty.

I may be a bit old school but if you want to run a power running game you need a nasty physicsl oline
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's where I was coming from.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
No but wanted to start grooming oline.
In 2006, Shaun O'Hara still had five (well, four and a half) good years (including three pro bowls) left in front of him. No team grooms offensive linemen that long.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:15 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In 2006, Shaun O'Hara still had five (well, four and a half) good years (including three pro bowls) left in front of him. No team grooms offensive linemen that long.
That's another miscommunication between Reese and TC. Reese ALWAYS says bring in competition and let them compete that's how you're team gets better. Meanwhile Coughlin plays veterans and essentially negates Reese's philosophy.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Smile

Quote:
That's another miscommunication between Reese and TC. Reese ALWAYS says bring in competition and let them compete that's how you're team gets better. Meanwhile Coughlin plays veterans and essentially negates Reese's philosophy.
No argument there.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
One of the big decisions next offseason that we have to make is with Eli

He is entering the last year of his deal and has a $20m cap number.

Do we give him an extension?

An extension would mean some cap relief next season, but it is also likely to be similar to the six year $108m extenstion Tony Romo received earlier this year.

Is it worth investing that kind of money and committing this franchise for the next seven seasons to a QB who turns 33 in January?

Previously it would have been a no brainer, but his performance this year means we should at least kick the tires on various options.
That's not even worth discussing. Of course we extend eli. Just cause we're re-loading doesn't mean that Reese is ********.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We don't have to, there are options we could consider if we wanted to go down that path.

Take the Browns for example, they have a good defence, offensive line and solid ground game and receiving corps. The Browns have plenty of cap room and extra 1st, 3rd and 4th round picks in the draft. Adding a proven franchise QB like Eli to run Norv Turner's offense could turn them into serious playoff contenders.

If the Browns offered both their first round picks for Eli would you consider it?

Sure we would need to replace Eli, but I think the front office is pretty high on Nassib plus we could bring in a solid vet.

I am not saying this is something that we should do, but it is an option that we do have if we wanted to go down that path.
The browns could offer the next 5 first round picks they have, Haden, Mack, Thomas, Mingo and Gordon for Eli and Nicks and you turn that down. Eli's a franchise QB with another 4-6 years of top tier QB play, JR has proven he can build a championship team around eli in much less time than that. So passing on a chance to add a third SB would be the height of stupidity.

Quote:
Old 11-27-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think we need wholesale changes on offense.

We really need to put a lot of coin and resources into fixing this offense. Especially the OL.
I'd let Nicks walk if we can get Mack and Albert. Albert - Pugh - Mack - Bootey/whomever - Beatty would make our OL beastly, we could run the ball again while Eli, Cruz, Randle and co adapt to a new system. Then use our picks on pass rushers, DBs, WRs and a redzone TE.

Quote:
Old 11-27-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
The browns could offer the next 5 first round picks they have, Haden, Mack, Thomas, Mingo and Gordon for Eli and Nicks and you turn that down.

I wouldn't. Not going to say you're wrong for thinking that, but for that kind of king's random that fills that many holes on your team, I'd do it. To me, that would be the Herschel Walker trade part 2.

Last edited by Crickett : 11-27-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

How I look at it this offseason is

OL
We have Pugh and Beatty, Boothe is off contract - we need 3 starting OL, Brewer may be in the mix depending on how he goes over the next 5 games.

TE
We need a starting TE, preferably an allrounder with blocking ability

WR
If Nicks departs, we need a #1 WR

DE
We need 2 DEs, at least one starter

LB
If we resign Beason, we need to upgrade LB depth, preferably with at least one starter

CB
We need one starting calibre CB

S
Rolle may be a cap casualty. We need depth at least
Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Albert and his back reminds me of the end days of Luke P., Mr. False start himself. Mack I'd be interested in, or just draft a center since they seem to transition well. I want to see what Herman can do in the mix too. I was intrigued by him when we drafted him. Let's actually use the players we draft otherwise it's just peeing away draft picks.

You heard me old man Coughlin. Play your young players. We draft all these guys and they are useless. Some are hidden behind average veterans, others injury prone, and then you have guys who don't match the system like Moss and JJ.

If Wilson can't go for whatever reason, we may need to play Cox, or sign another RB. Maybe an UFA RB can make the team like Ward or Ware.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
WR
If Nicks departs, we need a #1 WR
I wouldn't bet on it given the lack of quality receiving options in free agency outside of Nicks. Plus I think the Giants look at Randle as Nicks' replacement.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

Quote:
I wouldn't. Not going to say you're wrong for thinking that, but for that kind of king's random that fills that many holes on your team, I'd do it. To me, that would be the Herschel Walker trade part 2.
There was some hyperbole going on on my part, but in this cap era you can't keep that much talent together if you have a franchise QB, and even with that much talent you ain't winning **** without a franchise QB. So we'd end up trading most of those picks for Teddy or Mariota and hoping that they can mature fast enough to get a title before we lose all of the other players to FA. That's the ultimate issue with trading eli is it opens up a hole so gaping that we'll have to trade most of the assets we could get to fill it.

Quote:
Old 11-28-2013, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on it given the lack of quality receiving options in free agency outside of Nicks. Plus I think the Giants look at Randle as Nicks' replacement.
Randle is not a genuine #1 WR imho and without Nicks, teams can blanket Cruz.

I do think Nicks has been playing with nagging injuries

If Randle was Nick's replacement, then why hasn't he been the #1 WR with Nicks fulling the role that Randle has? Bottom line the coaches firmly believe a banged up Nicks is still better than a healthy Randle.

I actually think will end up resigning Nicks for a similar deal to what we paid Cruz.

We could franchise him to give us time to work out a deal, it also gives trade options.

Our passing game is not good, but getting rid of our best receiver is not the best way to improve.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 11-28-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
There was some hyperbole going on on my part, but in this cap era you can't keep that much talent together if you have a franchise QB, and even with that much talent you ain't winning **** without a franchise QB. So we'd end up trading most of those picks for Teddy or Mariota and hoping that they can mature fast enough to get a title before we lose all of the other players to FA. That's the ultimate issue with trading eli is it opens up a hole so gaping that we'll have to trade most of the assets we could get to fill it.
I don't completely buy that.

I do think the front office like Nassib quite a lot and he has a year developing in our system and under Eli. It isn't like the cupboard is bare.

Thinking about it, if we aren't sold on Eli we could let him play out the last year of his deal and see how Nassib develops, we could franchise and trade.

Then again if we were to change head coach or general manager then all cards could be on the table.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 11-28-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Randle is not a genuine #1 WR imho and without Nicks, teams can blanket Cruz.

I do think Nicks has been playing with nagging injuries

If Randle was Nick's replacement, then why hasn't he been the #1 WR with Nicks fulling the role that Randle has? Bottom line the coaches firmly believe a banged up Nicks is still better than a healthy Randle.

I actually think will end up resigning Nicks for a similar deal to what we paid Cruz.

We could franchise him to give us time to work out a deal, it also gives trade options.

Our passing game is not good, but getting rid of our best receiver is not the best way to improve.

It's not just about who's better. Football's a business and there's a hard salary cap. Is keeping Nicks when you have Randle worth more than keeping Beason? Or having anyone at corner?

The Giants can franchise Nicks, but given how much they'd have to pay him if they did that, that'll leave the Giants about 6 million dollars left to sign anybody else including rookies.

if they don't franchise him they'll have to compete with teams that have significantly more cap room like the Oakland Raiders who have a good 60 million in cap room.

Also, the Giants are in no danger of losing their best receiver. He just signed a six year contract this past offseason.

Last edited by Crickett : 11-28-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:53 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

Quote:
I don't completely buy that.

I do think the front office like Nassib quite a lot and he has a year developing in our system and under Eli. It isn't like the cupboard is bare.

Thinking about it, if we aren't sold on Eli we could let him play out the last year of his deal and see how Nassib develops, we could franchise and trade.

Then again if we were to change head coach or general manager then all cards could be on the table.
Fine then we'd spend most of those picks trading up for whoever's the best QB next year after Nassib proves he's not winning a SB for us. Either way most of those assets would be wasted while we go about finding another franchise QB, unless of course we went out and could sign cutler or big ben after making that trade. Then it could work...

Quote:
Old 11-29-2013, 10:15 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The browns could offer the next 5 first round picks they have, Haden, Mack, Thomas, Mingo and Gordon for Eli and Nicks and you turn that down. Eli's a franchise QB with another 4-6 years of top tier QB play, JR has proven he can build a championship team around eli in much less time than that. So passing on a chance to add a third SB would be the height of stupidity.

I'm not advocating trade Eli at all because I don't think you should, but why are we assuming he has 4 to 6 years of top tier a QB play? I don't think we could say that he was close to that this year at any time, so how can we assume he does it going forward for that long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:52 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I'm not advocating trade Eli at all because I don't think you should, but why are we assuming he has 4 to 6 years of top tier a QB play? I don't think we could say that he was close to that this year at any time, so how can we assume he does it going forward for that long?
That makes sense. However, I am going with the notion that Reese steps up and fixes the issues we have on offense. I am also interested in seeing what happens to our 2 coordinators. My gut tells me both will be here and that would be a shame. However, I think the system stays put, which I despise, and then it's on Reese to make things happen. Reese and Ross for the draft.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Because a down 2/3rds of a year isn't reason to enough to doubt a guy who's never missed a game for us because he's a tough SOB who's avoided getting killed pretty well in his career.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2013, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's not just about who's better. Football's a business and there's a hard salary cap. Is keeping Nicks when you have Randle worth more than keeping Beason? Or having anyone at corner?

The Giants can franchise Nicks, but given how much they'd have to pay him if they did that, that'll leave the Giants about 6 million dollars left to sign anybody else including rookies.

if they don't franchise him they'll have to compete with teams that have significantly more cap room like the Oakland Raiders who have a good 60 million in cap room.

Also, the Giants are in no danger of losing their best receiver. He just signed a six year contract this past offseason.
No the Giants will have a lot more cap room than that.

btw Cruz's cap number this year is $2,500,000

Franchising Nicks is about buying time. It lets us work on a deal or a trade. If we really wanted to we can remove it later.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
That makes sense. However, I am going with the notion that Reese steps up and fixes the issues we have on offense. I am also interested in seeing what happens to our 2 coordinators. My gut tells me both will be here and that would be a shame. However, I think the system stays put, which I despise, and then it's on Reese to make things happen. Reese and Ross for the draft.
I would be ok with our coordinator having a lateral move, Gilbride to QB coach (where he can resolve Eli's issues and help groom Nassib) and Fewell to DBs.
Make both assistant head coaches and bring in new guys at OC and DC.

That will still allow loyalty that Coughlin likes and keeps together alot of what we have done well, but also opening things up for new coordinators.