Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pfft. DeMarco Murray is better than Adrian Peterson anyway. Just look at their OU stats.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DALLAS COWBOYS MOCK DRAFT 4

R1: RA'SHEDE HAGEMAN
DT/DE - MINNESOTA - 6'6, 312 - SR

Not trying to get complicated here. Since Hageman is my favorite DT this year I'm sticking with him again in this mock. I really want this mad man! He's such an athletic freak. Guys his size are not supposed to move like he does. I think he fits perfectly for what we need and I also think Marinelli can get creative with him and play him at DE as well. That would allow him to mix and match and keep guys fresh. Front 4 pressure here we come!

R2: MELVIN GORDON III
RB - WISCONSIN - 6'1, 207 - RS SOPH

I know RB is not a popular pick this early, but I love MG3! It's easy to have doubts on the history of Wisconsin backs, but I think Gordon is special. We really haven't had a truly special back here since Emmitt. MG3 is still young and hasn't grown into his man body yet, but the sky is the limit for this gamebreaker. If Murray wants to stay around for cheap then great, but we can't afford to have a string of games every year where we are fielding backups because he's nicked up. Randle is a decent rotational option, but there isn't anything really stand out about his game so I'm not optimistic about him ever being our lead back.

R3: LAMARCUS JOYNER
DB - FLORIDA ST - 5'8, 190 - SR

Joyner is a difference maker on the field, and he makes me jump out of my chair with the plays he makes, but his size will limit what position he will project to in the NFL and I don't think teams will spend a Round 2 pick on a slot CB. He may go a tad higher if teams project him to S where they can take advantage of his range/instincts/hard hitting style of play. FSU has him playing in the slot which is great because it gives us some insight into what we could expect from him there. But similar to Brandon Boykin, his height limitations will probably cause him to fall farther than the hype would suggest. In fact, you could even argue that it's a reach for us to take him here considering our needs at other positions... but watching our defense give up 400 passing yards a game makes me think we'll make use of him right away whether that's at CB or FS.

R4: ARIE KOUANDIJO
OG - ALABAMA - 6'3, 315 - JR

Arie isn't as hyped up as his little brother, Cyrus but if he continues to play as good as I've seen him then I'm loving the value we could get if his value really is between Round 3-4 as I have seen. Multiple knee surgeries in the past could be the reason or raise red flags, but he completely seals off defenders in the run game creating massive holes and improving the run game is a focus we need to concentrate on in looking at OG prospects. We've never been a team to shy away from injuries on a promising player, so I like the match.

R5: DEVON KENNARD
DE - USC - 6'3, 260 - RS SR

Kennard missed last season with a torn pectoral muscle and received a medical redshirt. A guy who always had promise, Kennard is making most of his senior season. So far in 9 games this year he has 7 sacks, 9 TFL, 6 QBH, 4 PBU and a FR. Most rankings and mocks have him low in the Round 6-7 range, but I'm a fan and I think he'll rise through the process so I'm making this pick here because the guy can rush the passer and I would welcome him to our rotation. As defensive team captain, he fits Garrett's RKG approach. Between Ware, Selvie, Brown, Kennard, Wilber, Wynn, Hatcher, Hageman, Austin, Hayden and Crawford we should have a healthy dose of competition entering next season.

R6: ISAIAH LEWIS
FS - MICHIGAN ST - 5'11, 204

Michigan St is 3rd in the country in pass defense. They have studs all over that secondary... CB Darqueze Dennard... SS Kurtis Drummond... but Lewis is an unsung hero who is the quarterback of the secondary. Dude plays safety but has the skills of a corner. I have a feeling before all is said and done that this guy will rise up the draft but he's flying under the radar right now. Certainly seems to have the skills and recognition to potentially develop into a very solid NFL player.

R7: ZACH FULTON
OG - TENNESSEE - 6'5, 323

I like it when we spend our late picks on guys who have raw ability, but for some reason or another couldn't put it together or didn't capture the attention they deserved because they played on a bad team. These are guys that can be coached up! I'm not sure what the case is with Fulton, but he fits the type of mold that we seem to be attracted to. BIG and POWERFUL.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:21 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
DALLAS COWBOYS MOCK DRAFT 4

R1: RA'SHEDE HAGEMAN
DT/DE - MINNESOTA - 6'6, 312 - SR

Not trying to get complicated here. Since Hageman is my favorite DT this year I'm sticking with him again in this mock. I really want this mad man! He's such an athletic freak. Guys his size are not supposed to move like he does. I think he fits perfectly for what we need and I also think Marinelli can get creative with him and play him at DE as well. That would allow him to mix and match and keep guys fresh. Front 4 pressure here we come!

R2: MELVIN GORDON III
RB - WISCONSIN - 6'1, 207 - RS SOPH

I know RB is not a popular pick this early, but I love MG3! It's easy to have doubts on the history of Wisconsin backs, but I think Gordon is special. We really haven't had a truly special back here since Emmitt. MG3 is still young and hasn't grown into his man body yet, but the sky is the limit for this gamebreaker. If Murray wants to stay around for cheap then great, but we can't afford to have a string of games every year where we are fielding backups because he's nicked up. Randle is a decent rotational option, but there isn't anything really stand out about his game so I'm not optimistic about him ever being our lead back.

R3: LAMARCUS JOYNER
DB - FLORIDA ST - 5'8, 190 - SR

Joyner is a difference maker on the field, and he makes me jump out of my chair with the plays he makes, but his size will limit what position he will project to in the NFL and I don't think teams will spend a Round 2 pick on a slot CB. He may go a tad higher if teams project him to S where they can take advantage of his range/instincts/hard hitting style of play. FSU has him playing in the slot which is great because it gives us some insight into what we could expect from him there. But similar to Brandon Boykin, his height limitations will probably cause him to fall farther than the hype would suggest. In fact, you could even argue that it's a reach for us to take him here considering our needs at other positions... but watching our defense give up 400 passing yards a game makes me think we'll make use of him right away whether that's at CB or FS.

Arie isn't as hyped up as his little brother, Cyrus but if he continues to play as good as I've seen him then I'm loving the value we could get if his value really is between Round 3-4 as I have seen. Multiple knee surgeries in the past could be the reason or raise red flags, but he completely seals off defenders in the run game creating massive holes and improving the run game is a focus we need to concentrate on in looking at OG prospects. We've never been a team to shy away from injuries on a promising player, so I like the match.

R5: DEVON KENNARD
DE - USC - 6'3, 260 - RS SR

Kennard missed last season with a torn pectoral muscle and received a medical redshirt. A guy who always had promise, Kennard is making most of his senior season. So far in 9 games this year he has 7 sacks, 9 TFL, 6 QBH, 4 PBU and a FR. Most rankings and mocks have him low in the Round 6-7 range, but I'm a fan and I think he'll rise through the process so I'm making this pick here because the guy can rush the passer and I would welcome him to our rotation. As defensive team captain, he fits Garrett's RKG approach. Between Ware, Selvie, Brown, Kennard, Wilber, Wynn, Hatcher, Hageman, Austin, Hayden and Crawford we should have a healthy dose of competition entering next season.

R6: ISAIAH LEWIS
FS - MICHIGAN ST - 5'11, 204

Michigan St is 3rd in the country in pass defense. They have studs all over that secondary... CB Darqueze Dennard... SS Kurtis Drummond... but Lewis is an unsung hero who is the quarterback of the secondary. Dude plays safety but has the skills of a corner. I have a feeling before all is said and done that this guy will rise up the draft but he's flying under the radar right now. Certainly seems to have the skills and recognition to potentially develop into a very solid NFL player.

R7: ZACH FULTON

I like it when we spend our late picks on guys who have raw ability, but for some reason or another couldn't put it together or didn't capture the attention they deserved because they played on a bad team. These are guys that can be coached up! I'm not sure what the case is with Fulton, but he fits the type of mold that we seem to be attracted to. BIG and POWERFUL.
Oh I know Pocketaces is going to be torn up about a 2nd RD rb projection, ha.

Big fan of Hageman, he is a very solid player with exponential pass rush potential once he puts some moves in his repertoire. I still think he is more of a NT prospect in our scheme but he can certainly moved around.

Joyner is a top 50 pick imo, his size might scare off some teams but he can pretty much plug and play anywhere in the secondary. I'll even go out on a limb and say he could go as high as the 1st if someone really falls in love with his versatility. I'd keep an eye on the Patriots as a team that would snatch him off the board early.

USC lineman are really hard to read imo because of the heavy rotation they use (much like Marinelli likes to employ). What type of ceiling does the kid have?
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:28 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OH im excited to add a fresh player to the converstation. This guy has prefect 3 tech measurables at 6'3 298lbs and timed running sub 4.9, he has reaked havok in opponents backfields and been overshadowed by a high profile teamate. Who could it be....

Old 11-07-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Oh I know Pocketaces is going to be torn up about a 2nd RD rb projection, ha.

Big fan of Hageman, he is a very solid player with exponential pass rush potential once he puts some moves in his repertoire. I still think he is more of a NT prospect in our scheme but he can certainly moved around.

Joyner is a top 50 pick imo, his size might scare off some teams but he can pretty much plug and play anywhere in the secondary. I'll even go out on a limb and say he could go as high as the 1st if someone really falls in love with his versatility. I'd keep an eye on the Patriots as a team that would snatch him off the board early.

USC lineman are really hard to read imo because of the heavy rotation they use (much like Marinelli likes to employ). What type of ceiling does the kid have?
Hmm.... Joyner has the hype, I don't disagree. I see him in some posters mocks in Round 1 or 2. But I looked back to see who the last DB standing 5'8 to get drafted in the first 2 rounds, and I had to go back to 2004 when the Colts took Bob Sanders. I really think that will end up causing a fall. These days big WRs line up in the slot too. ...and Sanders short career might've also had an impact in the minds of GMs/scouts. We'll see. If he went high, I wouldn't be surprised. If he fell, I wouldn't be surprised. I just remember being REALLY horny for Brandon Boykin who I feel is a similar player to Joyner and he got taken in Round 5. He had hype and was mocked early, but the NFL had different ideas. But Boykin has been a baller for Philly, so I think Joyner could be a player too.

As for Kennard and USC, I understand where you're coming from. But this team has been hammered by sanctions and they don't have the depth they are used to having. Kennard and Uko are 2 players on their line that have been playing good football. I think his drop will occur due to his 40 time which isn't expected to be good. But he has a nose for the ball and knack for making plays.

Last edited by D-Unit : 11-07-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:35 PM    (permalink
boogeydown
Rookie

boogeydown is a cocksman.boogeydown is a cocksman.boogeydown is a cocksman.
Default My New Mock

1st. DT Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame
I'm assuming that Hageman is already drafted by the time we pick so I'm slotting Tuitt to us plus it'll switch up the mocks. Rushing for Marinelli I believe he'll do great as a replacement for Hatcher who for cost and age I doubt we keep.

2nd. DE Dominque Easley, Florida
One DE coming off injury to replace an another guy in Spencer who I don't expect back either. Easley is coming off a knee injury but the Cowboys have a tendency to take chances on injury prone type of players (Lee, Carter, Murray). Easley has a non stop motor and gives us more size at DE, he could be our Red Bryant assuming Kiffin is still trying to make us like Seattle's defense.

3rd. OG Tre Jackson, Florida State
He's done a nice job protecting Winston and opening up running lanes for the FSU stable of backs. He's not a sexy name but his very solid and compares pretty favorably to Brian Waters.

4th. RB Marion Grice, ASU
The guy has a nose for the end zone. Solid size but could add some bulk and he is a great pass catcher out of the backfield. Murray is great when he's healthy but he can't be counted for a full season and its tough to gage whether we commit long term to him. Randle I see as nothing more than a career back ala Tashard Choice.

5th. OT Morgan Moses, Virginia
Doug Free has rebounded this year into a decent RT and I expect him back next year however it's time to atleast draft and start grooming his eventual replacement. I haven't watched any Virginia games but the 5th round seems to be the consensus on around where he expects to be drafted.

6th. FB Ryan Hewitt, Stanford
It seems Murray runs better with an actual FB blocking for him, plus where are these Patriot like 2 TE offensive plays featuring Escobar I heard all summer about? Lets get a road grader for Murray that actually caught 34 passes from Andrew Luck in 2011.

7th. ILB Caleb Lavey, OK State
At this point he could compete to backup Sean Lee.

I'm also hoping the Cowboys wise up and sign Jarius Byrd to play FS for us this offseason hence no secondary help in this draft. I expect JJ Wilcox to replace Church as the other starter in our secondary.

Last edited by boogeydown : 11-07-2013 at 10:38 PM.
boogeydown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

1) Kelcy Quarles DT, South Carolina-Quarles has really burst onto the scene this season with 7 sacks and 11 TFL with plenty of season to go. At 6-3 298lbs he has prototypical 3 tech size and has estimated 4.8 forty speed. I expect a strong finish and good combine to rocket him up in the top 20.

2) De'Anthony Thomas RB, Oregon- It is tough to project Thomas because his stock is mostly based off of his athletic potential not overwhelming production. Teams will also have to factor his durability at the next level measuring in at 5'9 175 lbs. That being said he has the home run ability that the team wanted to add when they had Tavon Austin high on the big board.

3) Xavier Su'a Filo OG, UCLA- Guard is once again an area of need especially if Waters decides to fade back into retirement after going on IR. Filo is an interesting prospect who who has a nice blend of athleticism and raw strength for his size. Even though he is a red shirt junior he will be 23 at the time of the draft after taking two years to do missionary work.

4) Tre Boston FS, UNC- Platooning two undrafted FA rookies at FS is unacceptable but due to injuries that is what we have seen. Wilcox has a bright future but is more of a SS imo and we can not count on Matt Johnson to get on the field. Boston is a battle tested DB who is a converted CB and has played ever position in the secondary.

5) Kareem Martin DE, UNC- Dipping back into the UNC the Boys grab up an experienced senior who at one time looked to be a day one pick in the draft. While his final season isn't the showcase most experts projected Martin still has the skills to turn into a solid pro at the next level.

6) J.C. Copeland FB, LSU I mentioned in my early mock that I feel that having a natural full back on the roster is a must for short yardage situations. At 5'11 270 Copeland is a load in the hole and can open up lanes between the tackles. Also LSU players are well known for being solid Special teams contributors.

7) Wesley Johnson OT, Vanderbilt Undersized limited athlete that has become an overachiever because of his work ethic. Understands his limitations and blocking assignments to find a way to get it done. Good prospectto bring to camp and see what the team can get out of.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aside from Thomas being in the 2nd round I love that mock.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1) Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame
Has DE quickness and speed in a DT's body. Nightmare matchup. Can play across the line. Regardless of who we sign, or resign, in free agency adding Tuitt allows us to do a number of things on defense. He can play SDE. He can play Elephant end, he can play 3-tech. He has also taken snaps at the nose so in a pinch he could play 1-tech.

2) Lamarcus Joyner, FS, Florida State
We. Need. A. Free. Safety. Joyner can be the rangy FS the franchise has lacked for a loooonnnngggg time. Joyner is a playmaker who EXCELS at read-and-react. He has the "Sean Lee" diagnosis skills. Has the range, agility, and intelligence to play center-field and is more than willing to deliver a hit. His downfall is that he's 5'8". Smart bet would be to utilize all three safeties (Joyner, Wilcox, and Church) in a array of packages depending on down and distance.

3) Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
Strong enough for drive-blocking while athletically gifted to make zone blocking scheme a fit as well. Yes please! He's powerful and has the quickness to immediately overwhelm defensive lineman. When he drops his technique he loses some battles but that's why you have offensive line coaches. STEAL if he ends up in the 3rd. I wouldn't be adverse to taking him in the 2nd.

4) James Gayle, DE, Virginia Tech
This class is LOADED with pass rushers. Gayle was on a lot of lists as far as potential 1st round pass rushers. He has the quickness and raw power to dominant but hasn't been the beast off the edge that was expected. Gayle needs more pass rushing moves but his raw athleticism leads to sacks. He also has the "D-Ware" sack-strip on lockdown.

5) Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
Fast release. Excellent pocket mobility. NFL arm strength but not a cannon. No I'm not describing another Eastern Illinois QB Tony Romo. Introducing Jimmy Garoppolo.

We have 3 7ths and zero 6ths.

7) Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State
Call this a lottery ticket. He's a MASSIVE human being that moves very well for his size. Problem is despite having all of that raw power and athleticism he blocks like a TE and has horrible technique. If you can refine his technique and get him to utilize proper leverage you could be very good at either RT in a drive-man scheme or kicked inside to guard.

7)Marcus Williams, CB, South Dakota State
Small school ball-hawk with a knack for taking it to the house. Kickoff returning monster with ST experience as well.

7) Glenn Carson, ILB, Penn State
Tackling machine. Excellent run defender. Team leader.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
1) Kelcy Quarles DT, South Carolina-Quarles has really burst onto the scene this season with 7 sacks and 11 TFL with plenty of season to go. At 6-3 298lbs he has prototypical 3 tech size and has estimated 4.8 forty speed. I expect a strong finish and good combine to rocket him up in the top 20.

2) De'Anthony Thomas RB, Oregon- It is tough to project Thomas because his stock is mostly based off of his athletic potential not overwhelming production. Teams will also have to factor his durability at the next level measuring in at 5'9 175 lbs. That being said he has the home run ability that the team wanted to add when they had Tavon Austin high on the big board.

3) Xavier Su'a Filo OG, UCLA- Guard is once again an area of need especially if Waters decides to fade back into retirement after going on IR. Filo is an interesting prospect who who has a nice blend of athleticism and raw strength for his size. Even though he is a red shirt junior he will be 23 at the time of the draft after taking two years to do missionary work.

4) Tre Boston FS, UNC- Platooning two undrafted FA rookies at FS is unacceptable but due to injuries that is what we have seen. Wilcox has a bright future but is more of a SS imo and we can not count on Matt Johnson to get on the field. Boston is a battle tested DB who is a converted CB and has played ever position in the secondary.

5) Kareem Martin DE, UNC- Dipping back into the UNC the Boys grab up an experienced senior who at one time looked to be a day one pick in the draft. While his final season isn't the showcase most experts projected Martin still has the skills to turn into a solid pro at the next level.

6) J.C. Copeland FB, LSU I mentioned in my early mock that I feel that having a natural full back on the roster is a must for short yardage situations. At 5'11 270 Copeland is a load in the hole and can open up lanes between the tackles. Also LSU players are well known for being solid Special teams contributors.

7) Wesley Johnson OT, Vanderbilt Undersized limited athlete that has become an overachiever because of his work ethic. Understands his limitations and blocking assignments to find a way to get it done. Good prospectto bring to camp and see what the team can get out of.
Will have to start following your boy Kelcy. :) Too early for Thomas for my liking but I do love his skills. He could be a real weapon if he gets his body right. I remember Jacquiz Rogers at OSU and he was a tiny little thing, but he bulked up and carved himself a nice nitche at ATL. If he did that Thomas could be crazy good. But I would still have my doubts unless we have a new HC. I've never seen us use our RBs consistently used in the passing game with Garrett. Sua Filo is too soft for my liking. I think we need maulers. Has Boston been playing well of late? I had promise in him before the season started, but he hasn't quite taken off like I had though he might.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Will have to start following your boy Kelcy. :) Too early for Thomas for my liking but I do love his skills. He could be a real weapon if he gets his body right. I remember Jacquiz Rogers at OSU and he was a tiny little thing, but he bulked up and carved himself a nice nitche at ATL. If he did that Thomas could be crazy good. But I would still have my doubts unless we have a new HC. I've never seen us use our RBs consistently used in the passing game with Garrett. Sua Filo is too soft for my liking. I think we need maulers. Has Boston been playing well of late? I had promise in him before the season started, but he hasn't quite taken off like I had though he might.
If you get a chance to catch a Gamecocks game take a look, I think you will like what you see. Really nice off the snap and stays active even when he is blocked up. Thomas is all over the place when it comes to projections. I think he can be similar to Darren Sproles with his ability to break down underneath coverages and exploiting defenders in space. He also compares favorably to Tavon Austin's skill set, who was rumored to be a top target last year. Although you are right that the pick would make ZERO since if Garrett used him as much as he uses Escobar. I think we have our best runs getting our lineman out in space rather then grinding the gaps. Sua Filo fits that profile with his zone experience and hopefully we see more zone stretch built into the playbook. Boston has been much better over the last four games, he is actually playing SS this year and forced to play in the box more then coverage. Against NC state he was matched up against their tightend most of the game and had 3 passes defended, also had int's against Miami and Virginia.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
If you get a chance to catch a Gamecocks game take a look, I think you will like what you see. Really nice off the snap and stays active even when he is blocked up. Thomas is all over the place when it comes to projections. I think he can be similar to Darren Sproles with his ability to break down underneath coverages and exploiting defenders in space. He also compares favorably to Tavon Austin's skill set, who was rumored to be a top target last year. Although you are right that the pick would make ZERO since if Garrett used him as much as he uses Escobar. I think we have our best runs getting our lineman out in space rather then grinding the gaps. Sua Filo fits that profile with his zone experience and hopefully we see more zone stretch built into the playbook. Boston has been much better over the last four games, he is actually playing SS this year and forced to play in the box more then coverage. Against NC state he was matched up against their tightend most of the game and had 3 passes defended, also had int's against Miami and Virginia.
Yeah, I guess at this point, I'm just really hoping that Garrett is fired and we bring in a new offense here. An offense with creativity and guts that keeps opposing defenses on their heels. I agree we're better in space and zone concepts is a good idea for us. It's why I was excited to give Callahan a chance since he came in preaching we were gonna do that. But then we've hardly even seen it.

The other thing I wanted to point out was your mention of the FB. It's so obvious why we continue to see failures in the run game. All the good running teams employ a FB.... Seattle, San Fran... heck even the Saints who you would think is a pass heavy offense obliterated us in the run game using their FB! We NEED to get back to basics and that includes having a good FB who can help in the run game. JC Copeland would be a DREAM pick up for us.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Also, does anyone else have thoughts on Melvin Gordon?
Old 11-12-2013, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Also, does anyone else have thoughts on Melvin Gordon?
I love him but like all Wisconsin running backs it is REALLY hard to fairly grade them. He's been a home run hitter though and is averaging almost a first down per carry. LOL that's just silly. He also has something that we don't have... vision.

Definitely one to keep an eye on.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
I love him but like all Wisconsin running backs it is REALLY hard to fairly grade them. He's been a home run hitter though and is averaging almost a first down per carry. LOL that's just silly. He also has something that we don't have... vision.

Definitely one to keep an eye on.
Yeah, his YPC is just silly. Thing is the Wisconsin OL isn't laden with top tier NFL talent so more kudos to MG3 for the job he's doing.

Since you commented on that, I'll comment on your mock too. :) I don't comment on mocks unless mine get commented on as well. hah

Tuitt would be another satisfying selection for us. Apparently he's a turnstile against the run, but really if he wasn't I think he'd be way out of our range. 2nd round for Joyner should secure us with the selection and I would welcome it with OPENED ARMS! Our safeties are just killin this team's moral and ability to compete fairly. I notice you like Jimmy Garoppolo a whole lot. I'm not into developing mid-late round QBs anymore. I think that's a thing of the past. When it becomes time for us to get a QB, we need to tank a year and draft an elite prospect. They are more ready than ever before to start on day 1. I want our next QB to be drafted in Round 1. Hopefully we take advantage of that whole "top QB slides due to lack of need" type of story.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, his YPC is just silly. Thing is the Wisconsin OL isn't laden with top tier NFL talent so more kudos to MG3 for the job he's doing.

Since you commented on that, I'll comment on your mock too. :) I don't comment on mocks unless mine get commented on as well. hah

Tuitt would be another satisfying selection for us. Apparently he's a turnstile against the run, but really if he wasn't I think he'd be way out of our range. 2nd round for Joyner should secure us with the selection and I would welcome it with OPENED ARMS! Our safeties are just killin this team's moral and ability to compete fairly. I notice you like Jimmy Garoppolo a whole lot. I'm not into developing mid-late round QBs anymore. I think that's a thing of the past. When it becomes time for us to get a QB, we need to tank a year and draft an elite prospect. They are more ready than ever before to start on day 1. I want our next QB to be drafted in Round 1. Hopefully we take advantage of that whole "top QB slides due to lack of need" type of story.
I really like Tuitt if we keep Marinelli and this scheme. If we decide to go another direction or Rod gets hired elsewhere for a DC position I would pass. He has all the talent in the world but he needs to be "coached up" imo and in any scheme that might ask him to 2 gap he will struggle.

I'm a fan of Joyner but I have that feeling the team likes Wilcox and Church enough to wait until the mid rounds. Once again that goes out the window if the staffing changes and want an upgrade.

We are locked into Romo until 2016 at the very least so grabbing a QB to sit the bench for 3-4 years is tough if you want to grab 2nd tier talent. Garoppolo is nice because he has a good cieling but might be available in the 4th round where the value of the pick balances out the developmental window. If you want to snatch up a guy in the second round it is best to look in the 2015/ 2016 draft since that prospect should be better equipt to develop faster.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I really like Tuitt if we keep Marinelli and this scheme. If we decide to go another direction or Rod gets hired elsewhere for a DC position I would pass. He has all the talent in the world but he needs to be "coached up" imo and in any scheme that might ask him to 2 gap he will struggle.

I'm a fan of Joyner but I have that feeling the team likes Wilcox and Church enough to wait until the mid rounds. Once again that goes out the window if the staffing changes and want an upgrade.

We are locked into Romo until 2016 at the very least so grabbing a QB to sit the bench for 3-4 years is tough if you want to grab 2nd tier talent. Garoppolo is nice because he has a good cieling but might be available in the 4th round where the value of the pick balances out the developmental window. If you want to snatch up a guy in the second round it is best to look in the 2015/ 2016 draft since that prospect should be better equipt to develop faster.
If we wait till the 3rd or 4th for S then I'd gladly take Joyner's backfield buddy Terrance Brooks who's been playing FS for the Noles at a very high level but not getting the draft love for some reason.

As for the 2015/2016 QB window... is it too early to put up banners that say "Don't win for Winston"?

Last edited by D-Unit : 11-12-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

1)Hesean "haha" Clinton-Dix FS, Alabama- The team is in desperate need for a play maker in the secondary. Clinton-Dix has the ball skills as range to become a very good centerfielder. Barry Church is ok in the scheme we are in but will struggle if asked to pick up coverage assignments under a different regime. Drafting Dix would allow Church to shift back to SS to provide insurance for Wilcox as he continues to develop.

2)Travis Swanson G/C, Arkansas- Swanson appears to be on the rise because of his ability to pull and get to the second level. At 6'4 318lbs he has nice size to anchor in pass protection and get wall off defenders in the run game. Plays center for the Razorbacks only adding to his versatility and ability to read line assignments.

3)Aaron Donald DT, Pittsburgh- Donald is having an absolute monster season totalling 9 sacks, 19.5 tfl and 3ff thus far this season. Motor runs hot throughout the game and works to get up the field to penetrate in the backfield. Unfortunately his size is going to limit what schemes will fit his skill set. Teams running the 3-4 or any scheme that asks the interior line to two gap won't have him very high on their board.

4)James Gayle DE, Virginia- Potential Potential Potential. Gayle has the athletic gifts of a first round pick but hasn't quite put it together in the field. Reminds me of Cornelius Washington of Georgia last season as guys who are going to go in the mid rounds after the combine explosion. Should be a nice option as the wide end if we stay with a similar d-scheme.

5)Morgan Moses OT, Virginia- This might be wishful thinking that Moses will be available in the 5th round. Moses is a poor mans version of DJ Fluker.. not quite as explosive but has more experience then DJ had last season. Nice size to drive block and deceptive quickness to kick back in pass protection.

7)Spencer Long OG, Nebraska- All Big ten and second team all american. Would be a day two selection had his season not been cut short with a serious knee injury. If he returns to form the gamble is well worth the risk at this point of the draft, especially when the position was addressed earlier in the draft.

7)via SD(lissemore)Charles Sawyer CB, Ole Miss Chippy player with experience at both FS and CB at the college level. Undersized and only an average athlete knock him down the boards as teams do not view him as a outside corner at the next level. Also has taken a hit in the character dept after being arrested for a DUI on campus.

7)via KC(jones)Jay Prosch FB, Auburn RKG who lives in the weight room and has a reputation as one of the strongest pound for pound players on the team. Has decent speed for a guy running around at 260lbs, hits the hole hard and paves the way for his runnig back to get some wiggle room.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
1)Hesean "haha" Clinton-Dix FS, Alabama- The team is in desperate need for a play maker in the secondary. Clinton-Dix has the ball skills as range to become a very good centerfielder. Barry Church is ok in the scheme we are in but will struggle if asked to pick up coverage assignments under a different regime. Drafting Dix would allow Church to shift back to SS to provide insurance for Wilcox as he continues to develop.

2)Travis Swanson G/C, Arkansas- Swanson appears to be on the rise because of his ability to pull and get to the second level. At 6'4 318lbs he has nice size to anchor in pass protection and get wall off defenders in the run game. Plays center for the Razorbacks only adding to his versatility and ability to read line assignments.

3)Aaron Donald DT, Pittsburgh- Donald is having an absolute monster season totalling 9 sacks, 19.5 tfl and 3ff thus far this season. Motor runs hot throughout the game and works to get up the field to penetrate in the backfield. Unfortunately his size is going to limit what schemes will fit his skill set. Teams running the 3-4 or any scheme that asks the interior line to two gap won't have him very high on their board.

4)James Gayle DE, Virginia- Potential Potential Potential. Gayle has the athletic gifts of a first round pick but hasn't quite put it together in the field. Reminds me of Cornelius Washington of Georgia last season as guys who are going to go in the mid rounds after the combine explosion. Should be a nice option as the wide end if we stay with a similar d-scheme.

5)Morgan Moses OT, Virginia- This might be wishful thinking that Moses will be available in the 5th round. Moses is a poor mans version of DJ Fluker.. not quite as explosive but has more experience then DJ had last season. Nice size to drive block and deceptive quickness to kick back in pass protection.

7)Spencer Long OG, Nebraska- All Big ten and second team all american. Would be a day two selection had his season not been cut short with a serious knee injury. If he returns to form the gamble is well worth the risk at this point of the draft, especially when the position was addressed earlier in the draft.

7)via SD(lissemore)Charles Sawyer CB, Ole Miss Chippy player with experience at both FS and CB at the college level. Undersized and only an average athlete knock him down the boards as teams do not view him as a outside corner at the next level. Also has taken a hit in the character dept after being arrested for a DUI on campus.

7)via KC(jones)Jay Prosch FB, Auburn RKG who lives in the weight room and has a reputation as one of the strongest pound for pound players on the team. Has decent speed for a guy running around at 260lbs, hits the hole hard and paves the way for his runnig back to get some wiggle room.
What I'm liking about this mock is that it's concentrated our our biggest needs first. There's no going around the fact that our Safety position is just killing us. We can't blame Wilcox being hurt as being the sole reason why we are so porous back there. I believe in our CBs Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Webb (based on potential)....but watching us field Church, Heath, Hamilton, Pernelli (or whatever his name is).... we suck so bad there. The only thing about HCD is that I think while he is the most hyped FS in this class, I'm not sure if he's the best.

Is Swanson worth a 2nd rounder? Those are eye popping stats for Donald!

Once again overall a great mock! Love reading your stuff.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

DALLAS COWBOYS MOCK DRAFT 5

R1: BRADLEY ROBY
FS - OHIO STATE - 5'11, 197 - JR

Had a hard time passing on Hageman, but our Safety position is so dire that I feel like I had to bump up the need. Roby has been one of my favorite CB prospects, but without the need I didn't really consider him for us. Lately, he's been getting some mention as a Safety on the next level and THAT has repiked my interest. The more I think about it, I also have a feeling that Hageman is going to be long gone by the time we pick. Seriously, he plays like a black JJ Watt. I would be thrilled to land Roby though. Just so tough and instinctive. With him and Wilcox back there, all of a sudden I have extreme confidence in our secondary. I like that feeling.

R2: RYAN CARRETHERS
DT - ARKANSAS ST - 6'2, 320 - SR

Most places have this guy around the 4th round range, but is there another team that reaches for small school guys harder than the Dallas Cowboys? I have my doubts. Always trying to outwit competitors we have both hit big and busted big.

Quote:
A 2012 First Team All-Sun Belt Conference player, Carrethers certainly seems like he could be a force at any league in college football. The redshirt senior, who will be playing for his fourth head coach this fall, isn't just some sloppy, bad-body guy. His 16 percent body fat for a guy measuring in at 6-2, 332 is impressive. As are his 400-pound power clean, his 664-pound squat and 400-pound incline bench press.

"Ryan was a state champion heavyweight wrestler in Tennessee his senior year, which has translated to him being a fantastic defensive lineman that has started for three years on the championship Red Wolves teams," said Jeff Pitman, Arkansas State's strength coach. "Ryan can more than hang with former all freak team members I have coached. Examples are Daryn Colledge at Boise State and Nate Solder at the University of Colorado. Both [players] have had great NFL careers."
So far this season he has 4 sacks, 8 TFL, 1 blocked kick... and get this... 85 TACKLES!!! CRAZY for a DT! He will definitely be a 0 tech for us, but he will attract double teams and can be counted on to stuff the run. That 85 tackles this season blows my mind. Nothing must get past him.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/player/...e/gamelog.html

Another good read (includes stuff about T. Frederick): http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...verage-gym-guy

R3: D'ANTHONY THOMAS
WEAPON - OREGON - 5'9, 170 - SR

I can't forget the image of Jason Garrett pounding his fist on the table when Tavon Austin was selected by the Rams. Thomas has a lot of the same qualities as a game breaker (+similar size/speed) and while his position decription is RB, he really is an all around weapon for Oregon lining up all over the field in the slot or even out wide since he has great hands as a receiver. If Murray stays around as I expect more and more as the weeks go by, then a complimentary back like Thomas would be a crazy exciting toy for Garrett to have to pair with him, and with Miles Austin eroding and possibly gone, Garrett can line also line D'Anthony up in Austin's slot position and watch defenses go crazy trying to cover us!

Still love the value at this pick. He's not getting the draft attention that he deserves, but that's ok with me! Bama OL is hitting their stride right now and dominating. My only worry is if he's not here. With every healthy game, Arie continues to erase doubts about his history of knee injury.

R5: BOSEKO LOKOMBO
OLB - OREGON - 6'3, 230 - SR

Boseko Lokombo... Gotta love the name, right! Well the dude is pretty nasty too. In looking at LB canditates for us, I wanted to find an agile LB adept at dropping back in coverage since we ask of that lot from our LBs. Lokombo has the length you love - at 6'3 he has the height to counter TEs, but he's also agile and quick at 230 pounds rather than a lumbering 250 pound LB. He should be a killer in the Tampa 2 with his skillset. A big play LB, highly athletic with range, has returned 4 TDs in his career. Been hot of late with 3 Sacks in the last 4 games and an INT. His downfall is taking on blockers against the run. Oregon had no answer for Stanford's rush attack and Lokombo didn't show up either.

R6: ZACH FULTON

Bumped Zach up a rounds from my last mock. Learning more about how recognizable he really is. Between Arie and Zach I think we bolstered our young talent on the interior OL. Sorry Arkin, you had your chance. Say bye to your roster spot.

R7: KYE STALEY
FB - OKLAHOMA ST - 5'10, 236

So who else watched OSU vs Baylor last weekend... saw this guy and said... "HELLLLLL YEAH!!!!"

Dude's a beast of a FB! Gimme Gimme!

Last edited by D-Unit : 11-28-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

DALLAS COWBOYS MOCK DRAFT 6

R1: JUSTIN GILBERT
DB - OKLAHOMA STATE - 6'0, 200 - JR

Safety is my #1 concern this offseason. Getting a legit playmaking FS rises to the top of the chase. Reason I like Gilbert is that his game is based off SPEED. He's got wheels that are electrifying in the return game and that kind of speed has allowed him to break out this year as a CB. Last year he had 0 INTs, this year he's got 6. As the mental part of the game has developed this year, so has his ability to get to the ball. Spread offenses define the Big12 and Gilbert has passed his test this season. I'd be well on board in making him our top pick.

R2: AARON DONALD
DT - PITT - 6'0, 285 - SR

He probably doesn't last this far in real life, but right now the possibility exists. Makes him fair game. Yeah, he's an animal and wreaking ball on the field... and yes, he has put his name on the front page of newspapers, but NFL teams may be wary about whether or not his size will limit him seeing similar production on the next level. What I like is his combination of lower body girth and his ability to change direction. It's rare to see that in a DL. Got some nice rip moves too. Very Jay Ratliff like.

R3: D'ANTHONY THOMAS
WEAPON - OREGON - 5'9, 170 - SR

No change.

R4: BOSEKO LOKOMBO
OLB - OREGON - 6'3, 230 - SR

Bumped up a round.

R5: DEMARCUS LAWRENCE
DE - BOISE ST - 6'3, 245

To have one DeMarcus groom another would be so fitting. D-Law is flying under the radar this year. He already has 18.5 TFL and 10.5 Sacks. I really like Boise St players though. They seem to translate well into the NFL. This pick and value screams perfection. Adding a situational pass rusher is exactly what we need to add to our rotation.

R6: RYAN GROY
OG - WISCONSIN - 6'5, 320

Groy made a move from LT to LG this season and it's paying off. He himself admits he feels more at home. Groy isn't your athletic freak, but he is one of those good ole fashion country boys who brings their hard hat and lunch pail to work. He pulls with power and is a mauler in the run game. Brought up in one of the best OL systems in college footballl...and should hit it off with Frederick from the start. Leary might've started off at LG because of Waters' spot at RG, but I think the future is RG for Leary.

R7: KYE STALEY
FB - OKLAHOMA ST - 5'10, 236

No change.

Last edited by D-Unit : 12-03-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's going on with Ed Reynolds? I haven't been able to watch as much college ball as I'd like this year, but he seems to have taken a slight slide from where he was projected to go in the pre-season. I know I liked him a lot coming into the year.

Craig Loston is another guy I've tried to keep an eye on, like the potential he showed as a Jr. How's his Senior campaign going?

Nickoe Whitley had ACL surgery, but we've shown in the past we're willing to gamble on talent if the value is right. He played all year on a bad knee and pushed off surgery that was recommended to be done before the season. He's been a stud at MSU the past few years, plays with the same kind of reckless abandon as Swearinger but seems to be more capable in coverage.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 12-05-2013 at 10:34 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
What's going on with Ed Reynolds? I haven't been able to watch as much college ball as I'd like this year, but he seems to have taken a slight slide from where he was projected to go in the pre-season. I know I liked him a lot coming into the year.

Craig Loston is another guy I've tried to keep an eye on, like the potential he showed as a Jr. How's his Senior campaign going?

Nickoe Whitley had ACL surgery, but we've shown in the past we're willing to gamble on talent if the value is right. He played all year on a bad knee and pushed off surgery that was recommended to be done before the season. He's been a stud at MSU the past few years, plays with the same kind of reckless abandon as Swearinger but seems to be more capable in coverage.
Reynolds is still playing solid. Teams are making an effort to throw away from his side of the field and in turn his stats don't look a pretty as last season. The one knock on his game is that he doesn't have elite range to make plays outside of his assigned area. Still he is a very smart guy who reads the field well and does a nice job of putting himself in position to make plays. At the end of the day I'd say he goes in 2nd to 3rd round.

Craig Loston is a wrecking ball, just a guy who is finds a way to get in the action play in and play out. I think he is at his best playing downhill where he can use his aggressive nature to attack the ball. He can play some zone and makes plays when the ball is in front of him. Deep coverage isn't his strong suit but he is athletic and can play over the top as the safety valve in help defense. Prefers to make a hit on a WR then attempt to make a play on the ball in the air. His style of play limits him to SS imo, between Wilcox and Church I think we are solid in the dept.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post

He's still hanging around. I don't think anybody is talking about him in Round 1 anymore. After 6 INTs last season and 1 this season, the pizzaz has started to wear off a little. If we're looking for a homerun hit at FS, I don't know if he's the guy. But he still seems like a solid FS prospect in the Round 2/3 range.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind Hageman and Reynolds in the first two rounds and a guard in the 3rd at this point.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote