Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-06-2013, 11:51 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
absolutely no doubt they advance out of their group but i think you overrate them. they got a great draw so your scenario is entirely possible.
I'm hearing that a lot but we'll see, the Swiss have a level of coaching, chemistry and unity that is hard for smaller nations to achieve since so many of their players either played together for Basel, or play together now in napoli. Add a strong backline and midfield with exciting young creative types, and I see a good squad on paper who will continue to be a lot more than just the sum of it's quality parts. Which is rare at the nt level. I wouldn't favor them over Portugal or Belgium, but they can absolutely make it past them to the semis if they top France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:53 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
I'm hearing that a lot but we'll see, the Swiss have a level of coaching, chemistry and unity that is hard for smaller nations to achieve since so many of their players either played together for Basel, or play together now in napoli. Add a strong backline and midfield with exciting young creative types, and I see a good squad on paper who will continue to be a lot more than just the sum of it's quality parts. Which is rare at the nt level. I wouldn't favor them over Portugal or Belgium, but they can absolutely make it past them to the semis if they top France.
i'm a big napoli fan and i know how solid the midfield trio are. inler is a really underexposed quality player, one of my favs at the club and a key key part of napoli. the swiss are where they are at as a seeded team because of the many intangibles you listed, the longtime chemistry between the players and hitzfield's managerial ability. what i don't like is their lack of a critical dangerman. i consider shaqiri their best talent in attack but he won't have much opportunities to get in top form like when he was with basel because of the wealth of options ahead of him at BM. the others you listed have bright futures but the team as a whole just lacks the attacking oomph and the international tournament pedigree (i'm not counting u20 tourneys because the world cup/euros are just a whole 'nother animal). they could be a much bigger dark horse threat in 2018.

the lack of experience and the number of key young players for the swiss and belgium could unravel them imo. i think having hitzfield will ease that shortcoming for the swiss but screw belgium. i hate that i have to start disliking belgium but i hope they choke. sorry naga :/

Last edited by thefalconer : 12-07-2013 at 01:55 AM.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:34 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Quote:
according to fifa, USA haven't played Portugal since the 02 World Cup.
Thanks... that's kind of what I felt like.
Interesting this WILL be the first time the USA has ever had to deal with the wizard Ronaldo.
I first saw CR in 2004 at EuroCup2004 and was immediately a fan.

This will be weird, for me (I know many of you hate that guy) as I always have rooted for him since then. NOT this time! But I expect him to score at least once, probably twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
The United States are not only in the group of death, but they have to play a game in the frickin Amazon. I looked up where they play, and their game against Portugal is in Manaus, a city in the middle of no where that requires a ferry to get to unless you fly. It's very far from the rest of the World Cup host cities.
Yeah what a jungle, but let me ask this: Is Portugal not also playing the game in the same place?
Both teams, as far as I can tell, have to travel there and deal with the rainforest climate.
I don't want to hear anyone whining about it.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:04 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

newcastleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:04 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where are all the Newcastle fans this morning?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post

Life is so good.

RIP themaninblack
Old 12-07-2013, 09:55 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i'm a big napoli fan and i know how solid the midfield trio are. inler is a really underexposed quality player, one of my favs at the club and a key key part of napoli. the swiss are where they are at as a seeded team because of the many intangibles you listed, the longtime chemistry between the players and hitzfield's managerial ability. what i don't like is their lack of a critical dangerman. i consider shaqiri their best talent in attack but he won't have much opportunities to get in top form like when he was with basel because of the wealth of options ahead of him at BM. the others you listed have bright futures but the team as a whole just lacks the attacking oomph and the international tournament pedigree (i'm not counting u20 tourneys because the world cup/euros are just a whole 'nother animal). they could be a much bigger dark horse threat in 2018.

the lack of experience and the number of key young players for the swiss and belgium could unravel them imo. i think having hitzfield will ease that shortcoming for the swiss but screw belgium. i hate that i have to start disliking belgium but i hope they choke. sorry naga :/
Xhaka's having a strong season at gladbach and is a great talent, he and Shaqiri are an excellent creative duo, Schar and Inler are high quality deeper play makers, and Seferovic is a quality modern striker. They don't have big name fire power, but they're a very dangerous team. With that experienced core for the kids to lean on when they have to, the lesser pressure of everyone under-rating them, and all of the other things I mentioned, I'm expecting them to be very tough to knockout by any team.

Quote:

Last edited by cgf (Rosebud) : 12-07-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:55 AM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Liverpool with the win while United & Chelsea go down. Ahhhh what a start to my day!!

#3 Duke Blue Devils (0-0)
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stoke! Yes!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

RVP,

Old 12-07-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

And now the moral dilemma of whether or not to root for the scum.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

SP, what is your best case scenario for Newcastle this season?

As much as I want to play in Europe again, it probably isn't for the best....I do want them to give the FA cup a proper go though.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:18 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
SP, what is your best case scenario for Newcastle this season?

As much as I want to play in Europe again, it probably isn't for the best....I do want them to give the FA cup a proper go though.
I loved the Europa League last season; even though we lost, those two games against Benfica were amazing. And it might help us hold onto some players (Cabaye, Remy) and possibly invest a bit more. Ashley would've hopefully learnt from his mistakes last year, trying to compete in both Europe and the league with a paper thin squad. I don't know how realistic it is, however. It looks like there's 8 teams fighting for the 7 European spots, and we're probably the weakest from that group. But you never know, if we can finish 5th with a similar squad...

So yeah, i'd love Europe. An FA Cup run would be awesome, as well. Pray we don't get Brighton again.

RIP themaninblack
Old 12-07-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I freaking loved Europa too! I just hope Ashley would invest if we made it again. We'd absolutely need to keep Remy if we qualified. I give us a decent shot of finishing ahead of Everton though, especially if they lose Baines to Utd. in January.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Old 12-07-2013, 01:30 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Yeah, I think getting into Europe would give Ashley the incentive to spend a bit more. If we don't get in, we'll probably just have the same amount of nothing. We need Europe to progress on to bigger and better things.

RIP themaninblack
Old 12-07-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Yeah, I think getting into Europe would give Ashley the incentive to spend a bit more. If we don't get in, we'll probably just have the same amount of nothing. We need Europe to progress on to bigger and better things.
If Cabs has a great World Cup, I could see us getting Andy Carroll money for him which would hopefully be reinvested. We just really need to keep Remy. I don't understand the situation with our 'right to buy'....apparently we have it, but based on all of the surrounding noise it seems like there must be something weird about it.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good too see Spurs getting some results. A good effort against Liverpool should really help solidify the next month.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:45 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Woo you know I love you Newcastle boys!

Expected the road draw against the Saints. Next week will be a fun one, and hopefully they can show something against Bayern, as well. Weren't too inspiring today, though. Silva will be nice to have back.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

osvaldo's beautiful curler. he killed kompany on the play.

cheeky bit of team play by BM

Old 12-07-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

rosebud, are you in favor of signing sam to schalke? is draxler gone in the summer?
Old 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

Quote:
rosebud, are you in favor of signing sam to schalke? is draxler gone in the summer?
If Madrid fail to win this year who knows, but Schalke should buy Sam regardless, they have like no experienced depth and Sam could let them play KPB deeper in midfield more often to better link their team.

Quote:
Old 12-07-2013, 05:08 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, that was a great play by Osvaldo. You could definitely feel that one was coming, I guess that's one way to do it.

They won't have many sequences in the schedule as easy as this, but Palace has suddenly won 3 of 4 under Pulis.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote