Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 12-05-2013, 08:40 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Collins has looked, adequate in coverage and rushing the QB thus far in his brief playing time. I hope he can take the next step come 2014. Another pick I may end up being totally wrong about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:16 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do think he has potential to be pretty good in this system. He still looks as though he is thinking too much on the field but that is often expected from a rookie. Hopefully he can take the next step as you mention and become a staple of the defense going forward

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Also re Hightower, props to cmarq on calling it from the start. I don't know about the rest of you guys but I kind of went blind in praising the pick.

Belichick doesn't normally draft bust LBs and Hightower had plus size and a great pedigree. But he is stiff, a liability in coverage and hesitant against the run. Really he is a very poor man's Brandon Spikes.

He offers nothing as a coverage LB and he doesn't bring the power that Spikes does in the run game.

Right now I think we would be better suited giving Fletcher more snaps and blooding Collins in
That is how I was on draft day. I convinced myself he was a great fit because he was a captian under Saban and he had that combonation of size and speed. I thought he would develop into a stud in the pro's even though it was sort of a luxury pick for us at the time. Can't write Hightower off yet, but it hasn't looked good so far.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
That is how I was on draft day. I convinced myself he was a great fit because he was a captian under Saban and he had that combonation of size and speed. I thought he would develop into a stud in the pro's even though it was sort of a luxury pick for us at the time. Can't write Hightower off yet, but it hasn't looked good so far.
It's actually something I have looked at recently. People say that playing in a pro style system, especially under someone like Saban is a positive, and while it may well be, it probably shows us a guy's ceiling at an early stage. They receive such good coaching that they don't really have much more development in them.

That may be what we are seeing with Hightower. He is a big, physical guy with decent speed but is very straight line-ish. He may never turn into anything more than what he was in college. I do hope I am wrong, but right now I am not confident.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Austin Collie is back for one week bitches!

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:34 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Austin Collie is back for one week bitches!
#championship!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:37 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

On this note I really wouldn't be surprised to see Dobson head to IR. Worrying he hasn't practiced since he hurt his foot and the Pats don't have the depth to carry anyone right now

Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Chess Piece comment is spot on for Hightower. I, too, thought he'd be able to do lots of things well without being great at anything. Not the case so far, unfortunately.

EE was adamantly against that pick and I'm pretty sure that was part of his need for a sabbatical. Sorry, bud!

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't necessarily like the value of the Hightower pick, but I was excited to see Belichick targeting the front seven, especially given the obvious parallels between Saban and Belichick as coaches. However, I also feel that the team's scheme and lack of quality coverage linebackers has forced Hightower to do a lot of things more often than he should be doing them. In my opinion, it's fair to wonder whether or not his failure to develop into a quality starter so far is because he's not talented enough to become one, or because the coaching staff has not emphasized his strengths and masked his weaknesses with the scheme. When you draft a 270-pound who's supposed to set the edge and occasionally rush the passer (ideally suited, in my opinion, to the elephant role in our previous 3-4) and you've got him regularly dropping into man coverage twenty yards downfield against H-Backs, there are going to be problems.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've said my peace about Hightower already.

That being said, I feel the same way about run first defenders (sans NT's) as most people do about RB's who can't catch. Stay away from them in the first round. In today's NFL you're in nickel >50% of the time. If you can reasonably deduce that said prospect does not have the potential to be a plus player in that set, stay away from him.

It's the reason why I feel entirely different about a Shazier type in the first round than I do about a Hightower type. You can backfill run defenders later in the draft.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I know cmarq is holding out hope that Shazier will be available (which seems highly unlikely at this point), but which other prospects do you all have your eye on as potential first-round targets?
Old 12-07-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I like Hageman if he's there. If not I would love Ebron though that's a pipe dream. HaHa too would be nice. But at the end of the day if Cyril Richardson is there I would be banging the table for him

Old 12-07-2013, 09:03 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I just want to reiterate the fact I'm eating crow on the Hightower pick, and say cmarq was on the money with that one. He is a liability in almost every aspect of the game.
He was good last year or maybe I was imaging it...
Old 12-07-2013, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

He had some moments last year yes, but being forced to step into a larger role and break away from being a situational player has exposed his weaknesses in Mayo's absence. I thought Mayo sucked in coverage......

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-08-2013, 01:37 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dear god what an atrocious half.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Our season is totally without question over.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-08-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, today could not have gone any worse.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OH MY GOD WTF JUST HAPPENED. I walk away from my iPad after the Browns score, I go back a few minutes later to change the game, and see the Patriots are going for two and have the lead. HOLY ****.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is crazy. Onside kick no less.

News from PFT is not encouraging on Gronk.
That will be all but a death knell for us.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't even know what to say... about that game.
As for Gronk, my super bowl hopes rest in his health.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Gronk is def out for the season, and career is starting to become worriesome with these injuries.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-08-2013, 03:54 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Best case for Gronk is MCL sprain where he may be back for playoffs, but it looks like a tear to me. Offense gonna rest on the rookie WRs Edelman, Amendola and the RBs. Not Gonna lie with how bad the line has played I don't think they can last against the good teams. I had my doubts even with gronk

Old 12-08-2013, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Without gronk we have no shot, plain and simple.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-08-2013, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Apparently someone saw Dobson in a walking boot. How long he's gonna be out for.