Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
njx, if you guys hadn't landed the biggest free agent to ever hit free agency, you'd probably be speaking wistfully of Jay Cutler right now.
i mean, if we hadn't signed peyton, i'd rather we get steve deberg back up out of his wheelchair, than watch what likely would've been our qb. but that's neither here nor there.

i'd still rather, at this point, that we were trying to get better than just staying stagnant and mediocre (actually, that sort of parallels the situation when we drafted cutler in the first place, and to be fair, a lot of broncos thought cutler was a terrible pick because jake plummer wasn't the worst qb in the nfl sometimes).
Old 01-02-2014, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
You know Ness, just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this.....AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF.
Wait, wait. You Brodeur are calling me dumb? Oh my goodness.

Yeah, you deserve to be a Lions fan. Perhaps you should just stop talking all together.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 01-02-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Wait, wait. You Brodeur are calling me dumb? Oh my goodness.

Yeah, you deserve to be a Lions fan.
It was a compliment and a joke reference, way to be a dick. Yeesh.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
It was a compliment and a joke reference, way to be a dick. Yeesh.
Hmmm...was it now? Well then forget my rebuttal if that is the case.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hey guys CALM THE **** DOWN

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:09 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Veteran

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How does one miss a dumb and dumber reference?
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post

Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:06 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Reborn View Post
How does one miss a dumb and dumber reference?
yeah I'd say it's like one in a million.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
yeah I'd say it's like one in a million.
Soooo youre telling me theres a chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok, so the real Cutler contract is 3 years, 54 million, 100% guaranteed.

After that, it's just base salaries for 4 years. He didn't get a signing bonus, so he can be cut in three years with zero cap penalty.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

i laugh a bit less. i still think that's way too much when i think mccown could comfortably game manage that team just as far as cutler can. but a three year deal isn't too bad.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really Cutler is getting 54 mil ? damn ..
Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Really Cutler is getting 54 mil ? damn ..
Eh, that actually seems like shrewd business from the Bears. The Bears couldn't try to pay Cutler like an average QB because some desperate team would pay him higher. That's how the market works for basically every position. Only, with QB it is magnified. $18m is actually quite decent.

If Cutler doesn't improve or the Bears don't progress any further in 3 years Cutler will be 33 and have no cap hit to cutting him. That would be easier to swallow as a decision maker and even a fan than just letting him walk with no backup plan.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:52 AM    (permalink
MidwestJimmy
Veteran

MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I'm the Bears, I would have tried hard to re-sign Jay Cutler. But if he asked me for the kind of money he wound up actually getting, I would have told him and his agent to either come down quite a bit or take a big walk.
MidwestJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:04 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
If I'm the Bears, I would have tried hard to re-sign Jay Cutler. But if he asked me for the kind of money he wound up actually getting, I would have told him and his agent to either come down quite a bit or take a big walk.
Then why even bother trying to resign him?

How do you "try hard" to re-sign someone if you're not going to give them anything close to market value? Total waste of time.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cutler probably could have gotten more from another team to be honest, it would be scary to see how much a team would have paid for him with how little the open market talent is.

I'm assuming Cutler didn't want to get franchise tagged, so he was fine with taking a little bit less than trying to go to free agency. I'm also assuming the Bears realize Cutler could be great for them and has been good, and that he is a much better option than anything else available.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
Yeah, that's a sure way for the GM to get fired. Cutler did them a favour staying, he could have got way more on the open market. He obviously likes what he sees about the Bear's offense. Great RB, two very, very solid WR's, good TE and an improving OL. That is why he stayed.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think the franchise tag would have been the most prudent move for Cutler. With McCown in the fold he has no leverage to holdout and not sign the tag, and even if they tagged him for 3 concurrent years, they would only end up paying $8 million more than they are now, plus they get the flexibility to get rid of him whenever they would want.

Seeing as how he only has a very small sample of leading an effective offense, I see no reason to commit to 3 years when they didn't have to.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:12 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cutler's basic salary breakdown:

2014 - $22.5m
2015 - $15.5m
2016 - $16m
2017 - $12.5m
2018 - $13.5m
2019 - $17.5m
2020 - $19.2m

Add $2.5m each year from 2017-20 for his Cap Figure.

* 2014-15 salaries guarantee 3/14/2014 ($38 million)
* $10 million of 2016 salary guarantees in March 2015
* $6 million of 2016 salary guarantees in March 2016
* Roster Bonus: $2.5 million per year 2017-20 ($156,250 each game on active roster)
* Workout: $500,000 annual de-escalator from base salary for failure to show up to offseason workout program

By guaranteeing his 2014-16 salaries it means there will be no prorated signing bonus money and no dead money in the last 4 years of the deal. It is effectively a $54m deal over 3 years with a series of one-year options after that. Chicago are actually in very good shape for the 2014 cap. They still have $23.5m in cap space even with Cutler's $22.5m added to the books, and can save another $10m by cutting Peppers.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cutler probably could have gotten more at another team. I like that he stayed with the Bears though. I think he is more interested in winning than cash.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bears have plenty of cap space in 2014 to afford paying Cutler $22.5m, and then reduce the cap figure the following two years. If the QB franchise tag for 2014 was $15m (it was $14.896m in 2013) and they tagged Cutler for the next three seasons, Chicago would have to pay him a 20% increase to $18m in 2015 and a 44% increase to $25.9m in 2016. If they can afford to frontload the cap money onto 2014 then the Bears are taking the sensible approach.

Last edited by boknows34 : 01-03-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:10 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
The Bears have plenty of cap space in 2014 to afford paying Cutler $22.5m, and then reduce the cap figure the following two years. If the QB franchise tag for 2014 was $15m (it was $14.896m in 2013) and they tagged Cutler for the next three seasons, Chicago would have to pay him a 20% increase to $18m in 2015 and a 44% increase to $25.9m in 2016. If they can afford to frontload the cap money onto 2014 then the Bears are taking the sensible approach.
I'd absolutely take the potential of having to pay a bit more in later years to have the flexibility to dump Cutler if something better came along. If Cutler plays well they could have franchised him again in 2015 and signed him to an extension then.

Cutler has been far too erratic in his career to warrant a 3 year extension with that much guaranteed money.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:10 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

The 2013 Saints are the first team in NFL history to have four players with 70-plus receptions. Jimmy Graham led the team with 86 catches, runner-up Pierre Thomas was on 77, Marques Colston tallied 75, and Darren Sproles had 71. "Spread the wealth," said a smiling Drew Brees when told of the stat.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
The 2013 Saints are the first team in NFL history to have four players with 70-plus receptions. Jimmy Graham led the team with 86 catches, runner-up Pierre Thomas was on 77, Marques Colston tallied 75, and Darren Sproles had 71. "Spread the wealth," said a smiling Drew Brees when told of the stat.
"Unless it's outside, **** that ****" continued Brees as the recorder went off.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote