Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-05-2014, 08:01 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For 1st round pick, I can see Idzik will use BPA plan no matter what positions (except DL, of course).

Bridgewater or Watkins falling onto 18 would be ******* SICK. lol.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
I was wondering about WR situation. Why should Jets pay a lot of money to revamp WR corp if they said that Geno Smith is not a lock for 2014?

Decker and Jones may not want to play for Jets due to QB and coaching stability situations. Maclin may be since he knows MM but he will ask for big money.
As someone who has never managed to record a single thousand yard season, I would hope he's not looking for big money (although I suppose that depends on the definition of 'big money'). He might due to a lack of supply, but if he does that I'd hope the Jets don't cave in.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe more than Mario Manningham. WCO spread uses many weapons and he reached 850 yards for 3 years in row before he was out of season in 2013. Also, he is a touchdown machine. He will ask big bucks for sure.

If he could not find a deal, Jets could sweep in for right price. I suppose.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
For 1st round pick, I can see Idzik will use BPA plan no matter what positions (except DL, of course).

Bridgewater or Watkins falling onto 18 would be ******* SICK. lol.
Agreed. Depending on how free agency goes, I could see OL not being strongly considered either. I guess there's a scenario where guard could make sense, but I'm not sure the value is there unless they want to kick someone like Martin inside. But if the starters are set, you're basically drafting a guy to sit on the bench, and I don't think they go into the draft without a realistic starting option at RG or RT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
As someone who has never managed to record a single thousand yard season, I would hope he's not looking for big money (although I suppose that depends on the definition of 'big money'). He might due to a lack of supply, but if he does that I'd hope the Jets don't cave in.
Yeah, I think coming off an ACL injury Maclin's going to be looking for a one year prove it deal. And playing as a de-facto #1 in an offense he's familiar with could be appealing, particularly if the Jets make a competitive offer.

I definitely don't think the Jets should go out of control trying to bring in a WR. A guy like Decker I think gets overpaid, and the Jets should avoid. If they can get a 700-800 yard a season type #2 WR for reasonable money that should be sufficient. Or a guy like Maclin on a one year deal. Just someone to solidify things a bit.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:01 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

OL is definitely a concern because Idzik is committed to young OL. Winters at LG is fine but Campbell at RG and Aboushi at RT are warranted a girl scream.

Bringing Howard back so Campbell and Aboushi would compete at RG but I can see Idzik keep drafting OL in late round until he finds a gem.

Getting Boldin and Maclin for 5-6m altogether would be wonderful.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:08 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Agreed. Depending on how free agency goes, I could see OL not being strongly considered either. I guess there's a scenario where guard could make sense, but I'm not sure the value is there unless they want to kick someone like Martin inside. But if the starters are set, you're basically drafting a guy to sit on the bench, and I don't think they go into the draft without a realistic starting option at RG or RT.

I have been thinking about trading down and getting Martin to play LG with Winters at RG. Can Martin get by at RT? Maybe start him there until he clearly can't play outside.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Dream Scenario #1

Hiring Mike Munchak to take over OL coach.

Offering the second assistant head coach to Edge Bennett in addition to WR coach.

Hiring Chad Pennington as QB coach.

Signing Boldin to 3 years (first 2 years majorly guaranteed)

Signing Maclin to 1 year turning into 5 years. 8m roster bonus which will convert into last 4 years.

Trading down from 18 to 23-25 to get 3rd round pick.

Drafting Zach Martin in 1st Round.

Drafting Morgan Moses in 2nd Round.

Drafting CB and S in 3rd Round (No Bucs pick)

Offense Side-

LT- Ferguson.
LG- Martin.
C- Mangold.
RG- Winters.
RT- Moses.

WR- Maclin.
WR- Boldin.
WR- Kerley.
TE- Cumberland.
QB- Smith.

How much does the offense improve?

Last edited by YotoJets007 : 01-05-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:32 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I played the draft simulator (provided in Draft Thread) thrice. First time, I went BPA all the way and I did not like it because I had not drafted a freaking WR until 6th.

2nd time: Playmaking Upgrade and Balanced Defense.

18-WR ALLEN ROBINSON, PENN STATE
49-OLB KYLE VAN NOY, BYU
69-CB E.J. GAINES, MISSOURI
80-WR DEVANTE PARKER, LOUISVILLE
111-ILB YAWIN SMALLWOOD, UCONN
142-RB DE’ANTHONY THOMAS, OREGON
179-DE J.R. COLLINS, VIRGINIA TECH
210-TE CROCKETT GILMORE, COLORADO STATE

3rd time: Trench and Idzik's Preference?

18-OT JAKE MATTHEWS, TEXAS A&M
49-OG ZACK MARTIN, NOTRE DAME
69-DE TREVOR REILLY, UTAH
80-CB ANTONE EXUM, VIRIGNIA TECH
111-WR ROBERT HERRON, WYOMING
142-WR RYAN GRANT, TULANE
179-TE ROB BLANCHFLOWER, UMASS
210-ILB GLENN CARSON, PENN STATE
Old 01-06-2014, 04:54 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was playing with that yesterday too. Re-did it today and ended up pretty close. Here's what I landed:

R1 - OLB KHALIL MACK, BUFFALO
R2 - TE AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS, WASHINGTON
R3 - WR DONTE MONCRIEF, MISSISSIPPI
R3 - S CALVIN PRYOR, LOUISVILLE
R4 - QB BRETT SMITH, WYOMING
R5 - RB DE’ANTHONY THOMAS, OREGON
R6 - CB RASHAAD REYNOLDS, OREGON STATE
R7 - OG JON HALAPIO, FLORIDA

And a different one:
R1 - OT GREG ROBINSON, AUBURN
R2 - WR PAUL RICHARDSON, COLORADO
R3 - OLB JEREMIAH ATTAOCHU, GEORGIA TECH
R3 - CB E.J. GAINES, MISSOURI
R4 - TE C.J. FIEDOROWICZ, IOWA
R5 - RB DE’ANTHONY THOMAS, OREGON
R6 - S SEAN PARKER, WASHINGTON
R7 - QB BRYN RENNER, NORTH CAROLINA

Fun way to look at different possibilities.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Idzik won't bother to trade up and get Sammy Watkins. We are doomed.

God, I can't wait to FA period to find out what direction Idzik approaches for revamping WR corp.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Apparently Cro expects to be a cap casualty, but also would like to re-sign. Would like to see them work something out, bring back one or two of their slot/ST guys, and draft one in the mid-late rounds.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:32 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Rex Ryan stays until 2016. DC is next.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

At this point as long as Karl Dunbar is back coaching the DL I'll be a happy camper. Wouldn't mind him getting promoted to DC either, but losing him would be rough.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:01 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

This will be the last certifiably crazy mock draft. After that, I will merely group up prospects I like. It is easier. lol.

----Movements to be expected:-----

1// Cut WR Santonio Holmes.
2// Cut CB Antonio Cromartie.
3// Cut QB Mark Sanchez.
4// Re-sign RT Austin Howard.
5// Re-sign CB Darrin Walls.
6// Re-sign TE Jeff Cumberland.
7// Re-sign OLB Calvin Pace.
8// Re-sign DE Leger Douzable.

9// Extend DE Muhammad Wilkerson *** If Jets don't make a big splash in free agency***

----Draft:----

1..18- (Traded to 49ers for 1..30-32 and 2.56[Chiefs]) - CB Darqueze Dennard, MSU.

1..30-32 (49ers)- FS Ed Reynolds, Stanford.

***Rex Ryan always has low value for S but GM John Idzik is going to want to have a leadership and fittable FS because there is no true leader on the defensive squad. With right coaching and handling, Reynolds would play up to a full package.

2..49- CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech.

***Pass defense had struggled big time last season and GM Idzik has been threatening to upgrade the secondary and its coaches. Fuller is naturally ball hawker with good enough man coverage. He has been very productive when he was on the field for the Hokies.

2..56(49ers via Chiefs)- WR Brandin Cooks, Oregon State.

***Very smooth runner without a top notch speed. Cooks is able to create a separate from defender within 15 yards from LOS. Very ideal for WCO or Spread.

3..69 (Buccaneers)- WR Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin.

***I can't help it but I think he is next James Jones. Strong body without a blaze speed. He is skillfully able to beat speedy CB. Next Eric Decker? I don't see why he can't.

3..80- G Chris Watt, Notre Dame.

***Colon had surgery so I have no idea whether or not Idzik wants him back. Plus, Jets have a several raw talented OL on the roster that won't clearly upgrade to Colon. Watt offers well around skill set at LG for the Fighting Irish so he could be ready to take over RG or LG with Winters sliding to RG.

4- CB Shaq Richardson, Arizona.

***Another CB? Sure. Beefing up the secondary with better physical man coverage. Richardson could end up in 2nd round if he continue impressing scouts throughout this winter. Cromartie is gone and Milliner is a knack for a roller coaster performance.

4c- TE Alex Bayer, Bowling Green.

***Can't afford to get cute with TE value. Bayer may be a last TE that can do all around offense in this draft. Cumberland showed some improvement at blocking but his receiving skill is not there as he may be limited to red zone work. Bayer can help Jets move the chains with his hands and legs.

5- QB Keith Wenning, Ball State.

***I know Jets are looking for a veteran and already signed Matt Simms but Wenning will beat Simms and any veteran during this training camp. Easily. Wenning knows how to use TE, FB, RB, vertical WR in pass offense. Solid arm strength with precise accuracy to be a top WCO qb, hands down.

5c- WR Shaquelle Evans, UCLA.

*** The more WR, the merrier for Geno Smith. Right now, I can see him a 3rd down WR threat but he can play well to be number 1 or 2. If Ryan wants to have a solid pass offense then be aggressive and bulking up WR depth with draftees. Jets had drafted 7 WRs before 6th round since 2000 so 3 from this draft is a good push.

6- OLB/DE Denico Autry, Mississippi State.

***I like Trevor Reilly for either first 2 rounds but the priority is in effect. Get Autry for Reilly's swinging role (OLB, LEO, DE).

6c- DE Ben Gardner, Stanford.

***He is a very good pass rusher as 270 DE in 3-4 for the Cardinals.
He can be useful if Idzik wants to switch the defense to 4-3. Pass down DL for now with high upside.

7- K Chris Boswell, Rice.
7c- P Pat O'Donnell, Miami-Fl.

*** Locked up P and K for 4 years. Both display powerful legs just in case if Jets offense struggles AGAIN.

Conclusion:

Since we have 13 freaking draft picks for 2014 I have no qualms to take 3 WR, 4 DB, 2 ST and a QB. Granted, I don't guarantee their success for Ryan but they are good enough to be at least 2nd team for next 3 years.

I can see Jets trade few picks for either veteran players or Sammy Watkins but without a foreseeable free agency movements, I use draftees to bolster the team to next level. Ryan is under contract until 2016 so there will be a good continuity under Idzik's term.

2015 plan may be regarding to LT, C, MLB or ILB and SS. If Jets opt to invest draftees to fill out the roster then Mangold should be covered in 2015. Ferguson cut will save us measly 2.69m in 2015 if he continues under-performing. Harris will be a free agent after 2014. Landry may be cut next off season.

**No need to make a fuss. I merely predict a high round projection for each "pressing" position.

LT - Cameron Erving (FSU), Cedric Ogbuehi (TA&M), maybe La'el Collins (LSU).
3-4 ILB -A.J. Johnson (UT)
4-3 MLB - AJ Tarpley (Stanford)
SS - Corey Moore (UGA)
C - Brandon Vitabile (NW)
Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.

Had some fun with the draft simulator.
First time:
1-18) Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech
2-49) Calvin Pryor S Louisville
3-69) Jared Abbrederis WR Wisconsin
3-80) Morgan Breslin OLB USC (was a good value but I don't know if he's 3-4)
4-111) Andre Williams RB Boston College
5-142) Austin Wentworth OT Fresno State
6-179) Chris Davis CB Auburn
7-210) Jay Bromley DT Syracuse

Happy with the playmaker infusion at TE and WR, along with nabbing Pryor in the 2nd - seen him going in the 1st in some mocks. Williams was dynamic when healthy at BC, and Bromley is a solid depth, maybe allows Idzik to flip Kenrick Ellis.

Edit: here's the link to the simulator: http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/
Nebkreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebkreb View Post
Bromley is a solid depth, maybe allows Idzik to flip Kenrick Ellis.
I would hope not considering Ellis plays 3-4 NT and Bromley really doesn't fit that role.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:19 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Looks like Dunbar re-upped with the team. Was hopeful since it's got to be fun to work with such a young, talented group - but definitely nice to hear.

The draft simulator is interesting. I still can't figure out what makes sense for the Jets to do in the first round. My one critique is that Williams doesn't catch passes and I think that's the Jets' biggest need in the backfield.

And not necessarily for the first round, but I found a cool article that presents some interesting facts about wide receiver evaluation. Apparently speed and leaping ability aren't necessarily well correlated to finding successful NFL wide receivers. Not that fast guys who can jump are bad - but that they're overvalued because of their measurables and can tend to bust. The biggest characteristics that successful wide receiver selections had were that they're slightly younger, slightly heavier, and had a very high percentage of their respective team's receiving yardage and touchdowns.

Obviously that's not the be all end all of evaluations, but it does give a kind of interesting lens to look at guys through as the draft process continues.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

2nd time through (went to get lunch!). For some of the later round guys, I honestly don't know much about so I am going by positional need.

1) Eric Ebron TE
2) LaMarcus Joyner S
3) Brandin Cooks WR
3) Brandon Coleman WR
4) Telvin Smith OLB
5) Joel Bitonio OT
6) Terrance Mitchell CB
7) Silas Redd RB
Old 01-18-2014, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

The main thing I seem to be picking up from it is that it looks like there are 5 offensive playmakers that could fall to us at 18: Watkins, Evans, Lee, Amaro and Ebron. I would be happy with any of them, though the chances of Watkins falling to 18 is so low. If they all get picked, then I would be okay with a pass-rushing OLB
Old 01-18-2014, 03:07 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebkreb View Post
The main thing I seem to be picking up from it is that it looks like there are 5 offensive playmakers that could fall to us at 18: Watkins, Evans, Lee, Amaro and Ebron. I would be happy with any of them, though the chances of Watkins falling to 18 is so low. If they all get picked, then I would be okay with a pass-rushing OLB
I thought OLB might be a realistic option before Vic Beasley went back to school, now I'm not so sure. Now I think it's really only on the table if Mack or (if he really tumbles) Barr is sitting there at 18. I think they need somebody who's can stand up even in 4-3 looks with Coples at the other OLB spot going to be putting his hand in the dirt. Maybe Attaochu flies up draft boards, but as of now he's more of a day 2 guy as far as we know.

The safety position looks to be another potential option at 18 with a lot of people thinking Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor are both first round picks. And depending on what happens with Cromartie it's probably early to rule out a CB.

Of course if a WR or a TE is BPA at 18 that would be ideal. But it's not like this team didn't need offensive skill talent last year, and Idzik passed on some pass catchers for Sheldon Richardson at 13. That looks like a great selection, and I wouldn't be surprised if they stick to their board again this year.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:45 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

For Senior Bowl, I focus on receiving corp. Never mind trench or defense. Since our qb Geno Smith has generated strong and tight spiral football I would like to find a good size hand at first. There is the list of mentioned prospects whom I have checked on occasionally.

WR:

Jared Abbrederis 9-5/8 = Acceptable.
Kain Colter 10 = Solid.
Shaquelle Evans 9-3/8 = Disappointed.
Robert Herron 9-5/8 = Acceptable.
Josh Huff 9-1/8 = Disappointed.
Jeff Janis 8-7/8 = Huh? Passed.
Mike Davis 10-1/8 = Excellent.
Ryan Grant 9-5/8 = Acceptable.
Cody Hoffman 9-7/8 = Solid.
Kevin Norwood 10-1/8 = Excellent.
Jordan Matthews 10-1/2 = Freaking Outstanding.

TE:

C.J. Fiedorowicz 10-5/8 = Freaking Outstanding.
Marcel Jensen 10-1/8 = Excellent.
Arthur Lynch 10-1/8 = Excellent.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:27 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

About that time again. Good to be back and see familiar faces. I will post thoughts on things as time goes by...
Old 01-23-2014, 01:39 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Shrine and Senior rosters offer nothing buzz about TE. Damn it.

Jets liked Mingo and Austin last year so could they target Van Noy and Herron for this upcoming draft?

Out of Senior club, I like

Jordan Matthews
Jared Abbrederis
Robert Herron
Christian Jones
Kyle Van Noy
Jeremiah Attaochu
Jimmie Ward

Hold CB due to windy condition. Ward is the exception because he moved around lining up against different receivers for Falcons' coaches.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:09 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Definitely on board with your Senior Bowl guys Yoto. Dee Ford seems intriguing as well, but I think I prefer the OLB's you listed. Someone who would be comfortable standing up in 4-3 looks but can also rush the passer would be ideal.

I'm willing to hold off on CB's as well, though I think it could be worthwhile for them to draft a raw but talented guy like Desir in the mid-rounds. Think the big guys who can press fit both what Ryan wants and what Idzik saw be successful in Seattle. Obviously at that position what they run and how they do in agility drills are critical too though.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:09 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys with your mock drafts are all funny listing no QBs.

There are more than 10 draftable talented QB prospects in this draft. If you think Idzik, who came from Seattle, isn't going to take at least ONE at some point with all their picks, you're nuts. Aaron Murray in the 3rd or 4th sounds good.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote