Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-07-2014, 01:18 AM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Rip Bcs (1998-2014)

You've been in my life for twice as many years as you weren't, and now you're gone. I will never forget all of the great memories.

*Cue "Show Me The Meaning of Being Lonely" by The Backstreet Boys*

Previous to your inception, our hearts yearned for you. "Give us the two best teams, that's all we want" was cried out by many a college football fan, fueled by the intrigue of having the two best teams play in a Championship game every year.

It wasn't until the Miami dynasty had captivated the world that it truly felt like you've arrived, then a double overtime game that still is talked about as one of the greatest games in college football history, romanticized in a way that we usually don't talk about football games, ended it in spectacular fashion. We had experienced what you were bringing to the table, and we loved every minute of it at this point.

Shortly thereafter, controversy struck, showing flaws in your system that led to a split national championship. People tried to break us apart, barely a year from the beginning of a beautiful relationship between fans and finality, because they thought there was better to be had in the world. I still resent the SEC for this (Did USC have to vacate that half of a national title from 2004?) and for being habitual knife-twisters.

So, we adapted the formula and you rewarded us with USC and Texas in the Rose Bowl two years later, set up as nearly an exact replication of 2002, one Dynasty trying to preserve their legacy and an adversary trying to create their own. It was great, some say better than it had ever been. Then, just like before, the SEC had to ruin everything.

We added the +1 system that people yearned for, capitalizing on our love affair that had not yet even matured 10 years for a few extra millions of dollars and spectacle, and once again we nodded and agreed, knowing that each time we had conceded a part of what had been a dysfunctional, but loving, relationship we had been rewarded with a classic. In 2011, we got a great game with a great ending, but things were different. We knew there was someone else.

That same SEC that had wanted for years to ruin our love affair did so, with tremendous defenses and low scoring, boring offenses (sans Tebow, but he's estranged from us now) or two loss LSU teams, and it looked like they were finally about to do it. Cam Newton saved us all, but my cable was out that night so it's like that game didn't happen (and in a couple years if/when Auburn is stripped of it, the record books will agree with me) and the damage had already been done. This wasn't going to last.

Finally, in the culmination of 15 seasons, ranging from great to insufferable, you give us one more classic, to remind us of what we once were and what we're leaving behind to go into a bold new frontier, filled with playoffs and committees. I'll never forget the good times and do my best to forget about the bad ones.

Thank you, Bowl Championship Series, for everything.

May you rest in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Last edited by jballa838 : 01-07-2014 at 01:23 AM.
jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:45 AM    (permalink
DcmRulz
Pro Bowler

DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was 7 when the last non-BCS game came about, so don't really remember a time before it.

But I do remember one constant. It, more often than not, sucked. The idea was to get a 1 vs 2, but for the most part, that #2 spot was a big war, filled with lobbying by the coaches to get them in, computers not taking timing or impressive wins into account, and SOS either being too important or not important enough, leading up to the mess that was 2003, where Auburn got shafted, 2004, where there was a split championship, or 2011, where Alabama played LSU for the title because the schedule called for it. (and it was .01 points away from that LSU/Bama match being the 2nd time a rematch would be for the title)

I for one am happy to see the BCS go away. The non-championship Bowls will still be around, as far as I see, but this time, there will be a much more satisfying championship game each year, since they would have proven themselves by defeating at least 1 top 5 team.

RIP BCS...Hail to the plus one!
DcmRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:39 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm glad to see the playoff system because of the years where the BCS system left us feeling unsatisfied that the true champion had been crowned, but 2006 USC vs Texas was one of the best games of all time.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:32 AM    (permalink
freak_of_nature
Rookie

freak_of_nature hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The best team in the country won all but a few times during the BCS era.
freak_of_nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak_of_nature View Post
The best team in the country won all but a few times during the BCS era.
I'd say rubbish to that. I can only think of a handful of NCG's where the 2 beast teams met.

Good riddance to the BCS mess. Bring on the playoffs which I never thought I'd get to see.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:18 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I'd say rubbish to that. I can only think of a handful of NCG's where the 2 beast teams met.

Good riddance to the BCS mess. Bring on the playoffs which I never thought I'd get to see.
I actually ran the numbers and the best two teams met more often than not during the BCS era (according to humans vs. computers) so that's just not true at all.

Quote:
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The BCS was not a great system but it was better than the Bowl Alliance and most definitely better than the chaos before that.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:12 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more I read about the playoff system the less I like it. They're trying to have it both ways.

-What's the point of trying to keep the old bowl allegiances in tact when the vast majority of time the league champions are going to be in these playoff bowls every year?

-Having the semi-final games at a neutral game is going to be a disaster. If I'm an Alabama fan, am I going to spend over a thousand dollars to go to the Rose Bowl to see a semi-final game, or am I going to save that money hoping that my team makes the championship game in Dallas? It's the problem that conference championship games have now, but with even greater travel difficulties, and I think we're looking at a Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl with empty seats all over the place. This is why NFL teams only play the Superbowl at a neutral location.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:16 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
The more I read about the playoff system the less I like it. They're trying to have it both ways.

-What's the point of trying to keep the old bowl allegiances in tact when the vast majority of time the league champions are going to be in these playoff bowls every year?

-Having the semi-final games at a neutral game is going to be a disaster. If I'm an Alabama fan, am I going to spend over a thousand dollars to go to the Rose Bowl to see a semi-final game, or am I going to save that money hoping that my team makes the championship game in Dallas? It's the problem that conference championship games have now, but with even greater travel difficulties, and I think we're looking at a Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl with empty seats all over the place. This is why NFL teams only play the Superbowl at a neutral location.
Point two is so spot on.

Quote:

Old 01-07-2014, 02:18 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Would it really be that hard to take the Top 4 teams after the bowl games are played by currently contracted leagues. So the Rose Bowl would have been MSU/Stanford, the Champion's Bowl (the new B12/SEC game) would have been Auburn/Baylor, and the Orange Bowl either FSU/Alabama or Ohio State. After those games are played, it's just 2 more. Not asking them to play anymore games the FCS champions is it?
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:06 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
Would it really be that hard to take the Top 4 teams after the bowl games are played by currently contracted leagues. So the Rose Bowl would have been MSU/Stanford, the Champion's Bowl (the new B12/SEC game) would have been Auburn/Baylor, and the Orange Bowl either FSU/Alabama or Ohio State. After those games are played, it's just 2 more. Not asking them to play anymore games the FCS champions is it?
Yes, because you now have these games happening weeks into the spring semester, as opposed to one week, tops, for the National Championship system now. It's tougher to do eligibility for those early semester matchups because of enrollment and stuff like that.

Quote:

Old 01-07-2014, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa838 View Post
I actually ran the numbers and the best two teams met more often than not during the BCS era (according to humans vs. computers) so that's just not true at all.
Seen them all and I beg to differ.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:

The NFL cannot absolutely guarantee that the SB will be played at a neutral site. They award the game a few years in advance and have no way of knowing who will play in the game.

There was zero chance that a playoff system wouldn't encompass the major Bowl sites and I seriously doubt there will be any empty seats. There are enough wealthy alumni to full every seat in every playoff game. The NCAA really doesn't care about making the games available for the poor, they are drooling at the revenue they expect to get and likely will.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:59 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
The NFL cannot absolutely guarantee that the SB will be played at a neutral site. They award the game a few years in advance and have no way of knowing who will play in the game.

There was zero chance that a playoff system wouldn't encompass the major Bowl sites and I seriously doubt there will be any empty seats. There are enough wealthy alumni to full every seat in every playoff game. The NCAA really doesn't care about making the games available for the poor, they are drooling at the revenue they expect to get and likely will.
*shakes head*

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote