Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 01-08-2014, 01:35 PM    (permalink
CBFAlex
Rookie

CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Do Browns need a first round QB

DO you think Browns can afford to pass on a first round QB, I do bot saying they should but i wouldnt be against it, if we draft Watkins and a lineman then we can trust hoyer or a late round qb like Mccaron or boyd

even if you dont have a lot of faith in hoyer give him watkins gordon and cameron and he'll have success
CBFAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hoyer is a career backup who can give you 1 or 2 solid games here and there but will never take you to the playoffs.

If we don't get a QB with the 4th pick, it will be at least another 3 years of mediocrity. Personally, I just cannot wait that long because the way this franchise operates, we could be looking at another decade before we ever strike it rich.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:27 AM    (permalink
lacotomo
Rookie

lacotomo hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would be ok with that draft depending on how the QB's shake out. I am not sold on Carr, Bortles, Manziel, or even Bridgewater as being the anchor we need. The Browns have missed on the Andrew Luck's too long, and I don't think any of the QBs this year are that sure of a thing.

I think they could fill a lot of the holes they have with the picks available and then pick up someone to develop with Hoyer. I am not completely sold on Hoyer, but his play before injury tells me that he deserves a shot. Getting a solid QB later in a deep QB draft and letting him push/learn/develop with Hoyer sounds OK to me.
lacotomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacotomo View Post
I would be ok with that draft depending on how the QB's shake out. I am not sold on Carr, Bortles, Manziel, or even Bridgewater as being the anchor we need. The Browns have missed on the Andrew Luck's too long, and I don't think any of the QBs this year are that sure of a thing.

I think they could fill a lot of the holes they have with the picks available and then pick up someone to develop with Hoyer. I am not completely sold on Hoyer, but his play before injury tells me that he deserves a shot. Getting a solid QB later in a deep QB draft and letting him push/learn/develop with Hoyer sounds OK to me.
IMO, it would be suicide if Cleveland doesn't get a top 5 QB in this year's draft, the Luck's of this world only come around once a decade so you have to settle for less talented guys who can still be playoff QB's. The fact that it clearly looks like we will draft a QB by possibly trading up to the #2 spot with the Rams, pretty well tells you they don't believe Hoyer can get the job done.

As for drafting a successful QB in round 2, it isn't impossible that he succeeds but realistically, you only have about a 10% chance at getting a good one and you could be drafting QB every year for a decade in round 2 and still have 0 success with those odds. The rule of thumb in the NFL is, just keep drafting QB's with your #1 pick until you get it right no matter how many failures occur, waiting is simply a road to disaster.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:57 AM    (permalink
lacotomo
Rookie

I realize that most QBs are first rounders, but I guess I just don't like the thought of Carr and whoever else you want to name who is 'climbing' up boards being an option with #4. If you run down the starters in the NFL, most all of them are guys you knew before. Not, Mathews, Garappolo, Carr. I don't want the guy that somehow, every expert in the game didn't see coming.

I am good with the big guns being mentioned, but those other 2nd tier guys that might move up into the first round I can't get behind. Now give me one of those guys who shows promise in the second round, let him develop and show he has it, then fine. I am not dumping on the guys from smaller schools too, but frankly the starters who came from those schools were at the top to begin with(Flacco, Rothlesburger to name only two). I don't want Christian Ponder....

So I guess if two of the big 3 go in the first 2 picks, we should pay to move up....
Old 02-21-2014, 01:32 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacotomo View Post
I realize that most QBs are first rounders, but I guess I just don't like the thought of Carr and whoever else you want to name who is 'climbing' up boards being an option with #4. If you run down the starters in the NFL, most all of them are guys you knew before. Not, Mathews, Garappolo, Carr. I don't want the guy that somehow, every expert in the game didn't see coming.

I am good with the big guns being mentioned, but those other 2nd tier guys that might move up into the first round I can't get behind. Now give me one of those guys who shows promise in the second round, let him develop and show he has it, then fine. I am not dumping on the guys from smaller schools too, but frankly the starters who came from those schools were at the top to begin with(Flacco, Rothlesburger to name only two). I don't want Christian Ponder....

So I guess if two of the big 3 go in the first 2 picks, we should pay to move up....
Every team drafting in the top 5 wants a QB except the Rams so our only chance to move up is with them. You cannot wait till the 3rd pick to decide, Jacksonville is going to take a QB themselves so you cannot trade up with them. I'd guess that Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa and Minny will all make offers to the Rams, they are all QB desperate, our only advantage is that we are in a position to offer more picks because we stockpiled them for this draft. The other factor favouring us, is the fact that likely the Rams don't want to trade back too far risking losing the non QB who they want, likely a LT. So we are in an excellent position to make that trade.

Of course, we were in an excellent spot to acquire RG111 but the front office blew it and we lost out, so nothing is fixed in stone. I don't think Cleveland has any interest in Carr or any other QB, if we lose out on the second pick of the Rams, it could be years before we find a decent QB.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 AM    (permalink
lacotomo
Rookie

Just for discussion sake, does anyone have interest in Kirk Cousins?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ng-redskins-qb

The Cleveland Browns are a possibility with Kyle Shanahan, the Redskins' former offensive coordinator, taking over the same position. However, with Washington still light on draft picks following its 2012 trade for Robert Griffin III, Cousins will likely go wherever his value is the highest.

Let him and Hoyer battle it out and address needs everywhere else? Maybe Watkins and insert need at the other 1st round pick?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

I have zero interest in Cousins. He and Hoyer are career backups and nothing more. They can give you occasionally, 2 or 3 games a season but won't survive over a longer period when their weaknesses become apparent.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:06 AM    (permalink
CBFAlex
Rookie

CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CBFAlex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Id rather make a deal for cousins or mallett to compete with hoyer, I feel if they take Watkins the offense would be set for any average qb to succeed, Mallet and cousins both hs had some expierience in the nfl, and pairded with weapons like Gordon Cameron and watkins would be great
CBFAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFAlex View Post
Id rather make a deal for cousins or mallett to compete with hoyer, I feel if they take Watkins the offense would be set for any average qb to succeed, Mallet and cousins both hs had some expierience in the nfl, and pairded with weapons like Gordon Cameron and watkins would be great
And if none of the 3 are any good, I'm not seeing anybody rushing to get them, what good are all the weapons if your QB cannot get them the ball? The NFL is a QB league, if you don't have a good one, you can kiss the playoffs goodbye even if you have studs everywhere else. Now, if the Browns decide there is no stud QB worth drafting, then everything is open to drafting a position player, however I just don't see it happening this year as I feel there is a QB who they want badly, going to be available.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:01 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

jriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Have to get a QB, period, and I think the top 3 are being knocked a little unfairly.

This situation while, not exactly the same, is similar enough to compare to the 2002-2005 seasons. We had a QB who played a few good games, Holcomb, who the fans latched on to and said was good enough if we just gave him weapons. In the next few drafts we passed on Aaron Rodgers, who slid on draft day, for Braylon Edwards. Bridgewater reminds me of Rodgers when he came out, and the biggest knock on both was their slight frame. The following year we took Winslow over Roethlisberger.

Point is, Rodgers nor Roethlisberger were considered can't miss like Peyton Manning, or Andrew Luck, and you can't wait around for a guy like that. Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Kaepernick, Brady, Cam Newton all had their flaws coming out of college but that should not deter one from picking him.

Other positions bust too, especially, DL, OL, and WR at the top of the draft.

IMO we cannot puss out and dodge a QB at the top, this crop is better and much more highly qualified than the gabbert, locker, ponder draft.

I am in favor of Bridgewater, he's done nothing except have a bad pro day, big fing deal, that justifies this plummet of his stock. He's accurate, competitive, polished, a leader, tough, driven and plays best when the pressure is on.

Tell me where JJ WATT and Andre Johnson took the texans this year. Arguably the top player at their positions on the same team. What about Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Damarcus Ware, Von Miller, How many super bowls do they have?

If you don't have a QB pull out all the stops to find one, and we do not have one.

What's wrong with having Hoyer and Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel? We've had no QB for 20 years, would it be so bad to have 2?

sig by BoneKrusher
jriles0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriles0522 View Post
Have to get a QB, period, and I think the top 3 are being knocked a little unfairly.

This situation while, not exactly the same, is similar enough to compare to the 2002-2005 seasons. We had a QB who played a few good games, Holcomb, who the fans latched on to and said was good enough if we just gave him weapons. In the next few drafts we passed on Aaron Rodgers, who slid on draft day, for Braylon Edwards. Bridgewater reminds me of Rodgers when he came out, and the biggest knock on both was their slight frame. The following year we took Winslow over Roethlisberger.

Point is, Rodgers nor Roethlisberger were considered can't miss like Peyton Manning, or Andrew Luck, and you can't wait around for a guy like that. Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Kaepernick, Brady, Cam Newton all had their flaws coming out of college but that should not deter one from picking him.

Other positions bust too, especially, DL, OL, and WR at the top of the draft.

IMO we cannot puss out and dodge a QB at the top, this crop is better and much more highly qualified than the gabbert, locker, ponder draft.

I am in favor of Bridgewater, he's done nothing except have a bad pro day, big fing deal, that justifies this plummet of his stock. He's accurate, competitive, polished, a leader, tough, driven and plays best when the pressure is on.

Tell me where JJ WATT and Andre Johnson took the texans this year. Arguably the top player at their positions on the same team. What about Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Damarcus Ware, Von Miller, How many super bowls do they have?

If you don't have a QB pull out all the stops to find one, and we do not have one.

What's wrong with having Hoyer and Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel? We've had no QB for 20 years, would it be so bad to have 2?
Couldn't agree more, passing on a franchise QB for a position player is franchise suicide if there is a top 5 QB available when you draft. Ask Miami how it turned out when they passed on Matt Ryan for a LT, Atlanta went to the playoffs the next few years and Miami has done squat since.