Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
D'Angelo is incredible. He is the essence of the Wire.
And I didn't love him so maybe thats why I'm not enjoying it. I don't hate him, be he didn't even become overly interesting until the last three episodes where he had a moral dilemma to face about which direction to choose. Other than that, he did very little but sit around lecturing young kids about the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not exactly a controversial opinion, but The Wire is a better and more productive show than Breaking Bad.

edit: they are still both God Tier
Old 01-14-2014, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It really isnt- thus far that is. BB accomplishes as much in one episode as the wire does in an entire season. A season which I didn't need to see the streets of Baltimore and the offices of the PD to such an extent to understand the concepts they were trying to convey. I'm sorry, its just boring.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Your 2nd sentence is a massive exaggeration. As far as season rankings go, I'd put it 3-4-1-5-2.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

I will say I did find the first 2-3 episodes boring. I've even said as much. I stopped watching for a year, then only continued again after being hounded by people saying to give it a shot. After that I was hooked.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Of course its an exaggeration, but when you spend an hour of your life watching a show you should get more development with the story outside of "Avon decided to move around to use pay phones". THeres literally episodes where things as insignificant as that are the ONLY thing significant moving the plot forward. There were several times I pointed out that if I had skipped a few particular episodes I would be nowhere near missing out on anything or lost if I just watched the next episode. Thats completely inexcusable for a show many deem the best drama ever.

And people said that I would be hooked half way through S1, and after finishing I'm still wondering what Im missing. The last 3 episodes were very good. The others......meh.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Then again, I should note that that model seems to be a trend for HBO shows. GoT's last season had like two significant episodes.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
D'Angelo is incredible. He is the essence of the Wire.
Even though D was a great character I don't think he was a perfect example of what the wire was all about.

After I finished season 4 I think wee-bay and Colvin are what Simon was trying to say. Look at the meeting they had regarding Namond being a drug dealer. They both seemed to agree that they wasted their lives. Simon was trying to say the streets and the game just keep rolling no matter what. Having a high ranking officer and the best soldier in baltimore for a point pretty much agreed to that at the same time.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bunny Colvin is an amazing character. The Amsterdam stuff in season three is some of the best scenes put on television. I just love seasons 3 and 4. The pacing of the show while at times very slow is completely necessary.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Being Human is back on. yessss..... first episode last night was a great way to start the season

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Bunny Colvin is an amazing character. The Amsterdam stuff in season three is some of the best scenes put on television. I just love seasons 3 and 4. The pacing of the show while at times very slow is completely necessary.
yeah really underrated but Colvin makes season 4 IMO. But then again every time I re watch the wire I have different theories and opinions on what character makes the series. There are so many story lines going on and it all comes together perfectly with Marlo standing their on the corner.

Im glad I don't have the wire up at school or I would never get any school work done. Im such a wire junkie I have season 6 mapped out in my head if Simon ever wanted to come out of retirement and make another season.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 PM    (permalink
ncst8fan83
Pro Bowler

ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I want to do it. I'd appreciate it if someone would help me organize or co-run it. I'm in the midst of a busy week.

I posted my suggested parameters a few days back. Do we need to add any stipulations?
I could start it. With or without a draft? Off Topic or Fantasy forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman
Titty sprinkles
ncst8fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:42 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Of course its an exaggeration, but when you spend an hour of your life watching a show you should get more development with the story outside of "Avon decided to move around to use pay phones". THeres literally episodes where things as insignificant as that are the ONLY thing significant moving the plot forward. There were several times I pointed out that if I had skipped a few particular episodes I would be nowhere near missing out on anything or lost if I just watched the next episode. Thats completely inexcusable for a show many deem the best drama ever.

And people said that I would be hooked half way through S1, and after finishing I'm still wondering what Im missing. The last 3 episodes were very good. The others......meh.
The show is very detail-oriented. There are very few wasted scenes in The Wire. It took me awhile to get into it because I don't particularly care for crime dramas, but I definitely say it's better than Breaking Bad. There are many reasons, but the key being that you don't have to suspend disbelief for The Wire to work.

It might just not be your thing.

My favorite scene...

And Bunk is the best...
Old 01-14-2014, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncst8fan83 View Post
I could start it. With or without a draft? Off Topic or Fantasy forum?
I've got time right this second, so I'll create the thread. It'll be up to you guys to get the contest rolling. Thread is in the Off Topic.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry for the delay, guys. Here is the previously discussed "Create Your Own TV Show Contest" Thread:

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...76#post3546776
Old 01-15-2014, 08:31 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

favorite scene last night

Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:47 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Avon is in Justified now? sweet.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-15-2014, 09:37 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I love justified so much. Although I'd like to see them develop where this season is going with Raylan a bit quicker (although I suppose we got a hint at that towards the end of the episode). Luckily Boyd's story is doing great. I honestly can't think of a better show on tv right now outside of maybe mad men (which I'm not caught up on so Im not sure how thats doing still) and I have yet to watch true detective on HBO.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

last season of mad men was great

bob benson ftmfw

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

White Collar was the tits last night.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Then again, I should note that that model seems to be a trend for HBO shows. GoT's last season had like two significant episodes.
Game of Thrones is definitely one of those shows that they could show me those characters doing anything and I'd watch. Combined that with some shocking episodes and the constant wonder of what can happen next and you've got quite a series. I've started reading the books out of boredom but I've only kept up with the show and I feel like that made me like it more.

I hate seeing something compared to Breaking Bad. It's just an impossible standard. Definitely my favorite tv series ever.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
Game of Thrones is definitely one of those shows that they could show me those characters doing anything and I'd watch. Combined that with some shocking episodes and the constant wonder of what can happen next and you've got quite a series. I've started reading the books out of boredom but I've only kept up with the show and I feel like that made me like it more.

I hate seeing something compared to Breaking Bad. It's just an impossible standard. Definitely my favorite tv series ever.
It wasn't terrible, but last season was overly insignificant in moving things forward (and especially hearing that some of the more significant events I hear don't even end up going anywhere). I think SP did a perfect job of parodying this show. When you hint at a huge zombie invasion in the first five minutes of the first episode, and then don't even truly come back ot it for three seasons, youre getting into Lost level territory.

Luckily GoT has several characters I love so i don't mind the snail pace half as much as in The Wire, but its a fair complaint.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-17-2014, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't help but read it in his voice.

Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Being Human is back on. yessss..... first episode last night was a great way to start the season
Another Being Human fan.

I thought I was all alone...

I keep expecting it to get canceled since no one ever talks about it.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just started watching The Wire for the 5th time a couple of days ago. My all time favourite show. I feel the same way as the first highlighted part, but if I had to choose, for me Boadie and his story is the essence of the show imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
yeah really underrated but Colvin makes season 4 IMO. But then again every time I re watch the wire I have different theories and opinions on what character makes the series. There are so many story lines going on and it all comes together perfectly with Marlo standing their on the corner.

Im glad I don't have the wire up at school or I would never get any school work done. Im such a wire junkie I have season 6 mapped out in my head if Simon ever wanted to come out of retirement and make another season.
I would love to hear what kind of storylines you have.