Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shazier would be perfect for us. I like Skov too, but he'd sit behind Beason for awhile, unless we can move him to SAM.

But Shazier in the 2nd would be perfect. I like Van Noy a lot too.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pass on LBs. Give me OL, OL, OL early and often. And DBs. I'd rather have stud safeties like Seattle.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to see what we do in FA. If we get some OL help in FA, then maybe we don't need back to back OLmen in the draft.

That would give us options.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, we don't need to do back to back. I mainly just want OL and if their are some good safeties in this class I want a safety.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I rather have a CB than a safety honestly. I think we need a lockdown CB.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Beason was way more than mediocre this year. Not sure why you're downplaying his LB play all of a sudden.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
I doubt we upgrade the LB corps. That's a pipe dream.
The draft is deep at LB, it all depends on what we do in free agency
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Pass on LBs. Give me OL, OL, OL early and often. And DBs. I'd rather have stud safeties like Seattle.
This year's draft is loaded with Oline, we may be able to get quality talent in the mid rounds.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:29 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I want to see what we do in FA. If we get some OL help in FA, then maybe we don't need back to back OLmen in the draft.

That would give us options.
If it means going all out to get Eli a good OL then I don't care about back to back. WR really need to see how FA turns out though. If teams keep their OL talent then I don't want to sign the locklears and Andrews type people.

Go all out and fix the line.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If it means going all out to get Eli a good OL then I don't care about back to back. WR really need to see how FA turns out though. If teams keep their OL talent then I don't want to sign the locklears and Andrews type people.

Totally agree, the Oline needs to be a priotity.

I could see us going with lower profile solutions in free agency such as Evans-Dietrich, Schwartz, Saffold etc.

There will be excellent RB, LB, WR and DB depth this year as well.

The thinnest areas in the draft seem to be DE and DT.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Beason was way more than mediocre this year. Not sure why you're downplaying his LB play all of a sudden.
He wasn't. He had 2 really really good games, 1 very good game, and 5 or so awful games. Vs Dallas he was downright awful. We just remember him for his great games bc we're not used to seeing that so it stands out to us, but when you look at his whole body of work he was very mediocre.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:36 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:

I'm not saying we don't fix the OL. That's the biggest priority of this offseason.

I'm just saying that there may be a situation where we don't have to force our hand in the draft if we address it in FA. If we nab Anthony Collins to play LT or RT, or Oher to play RT, and another FA interior OLmen then we wouldn't need back to back OLmen.

Heck, if we get an OT and a C/G in FA, we might be able to just get a OLmen in the 2nd round and not be forced to take one in the 1st. We have options, it's really going to come down to how we approach FA.

We don't know what our draft needs are until we tackle FA first.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not saying we don't fix the OL. That's the biggest priority of this offseason.

I'm just saying that there may be a situation where we don't have to force our hand in the draft if we address it in FA. If we nab Anthony Collins to play LT or RT, or Oher to play RT, and another FA interior OLmen then we wouldn't need back to back OLmen.

Heck, if we get an OT and a C/G in FA, we might be able to just get a OLmen in the 2nd round and not be forced to take one in the 1st. We have options, it's really going to come down to how we approach FA.

We don't know what our draft needs are until we tackle FA first.
Oher will demand significant money and i'm not sure we want to base our future on Anthony Collins holding down either tackle spot for us for the next 5 years. He is an average tackle. I think we should be making plays for interior olineman honestly and draft a tackle 1st rd. Underratedly we need a center like no one's business.

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:15 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I rather have a CB than a safety honestly. I think we need a lockdown CB.
I agree. Will Hill showed a lot this year and i assume we will re-sign Stevie Brown (at a discount price due to his injury). We really need another CB, badly. I think that is something we deeply misevaulated this past yr. Webster is done and while Turk McBride did ok at times, he should be around for depth, not as a starter.

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I think we are fine at safety at the moment

We have Rolle set, plus Hill. We should resign Stevie Brown and Terrell Thomas (who played in our three safety sets) plus we have Cooper Taylor

I don't see a whole lot of need.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:45 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I don't necessarily think we're fine at safety. It's a gamble to assume that. Will Hill has shown he can't be trusted, and Stevie Brown is coming off an ACL and is a FA. Rolle might not be back if he doesn't restructure, and Cooper Taylor hasn't done dick so he shouldn't even be mentioned.

So I'd say safety could very well be an urgent need.

However, I think that CB is a bigger need. Because outside of Prince, we don't have dick there either. Thomas is still a wild card and also a FA, Webster is washed up and most likely cut, McBride is just a mediocre nickel, Hoseley hasn't lived up to expectations.

So basically our secondary could be downright awful next year. But I think CB is in need of an upgrade moreso than safety.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Yeah, safety is DEFINITELY not set and can be upgraded big time. Hill cannot be relied on in anyway. I pretty much would just be under the assumption he'll get banned again. Rolle is old and will be gone soon. I want a deep safety who can cover tons of ground, ala Earl Thomas. I wanted Thomas SO bad that year too. Too bad it was never likely to happen.

Corner could use an upgrade too. I actually thought McBride did really well. Hosley is just injury prone, so who knows what he can do. I like what TT did but it's just hard to rely on him with injuries. Corner is a definite need.

If I had my choice (of course, depending on what is available when we pick too) I'd go:

1st - OL
2nd - Safety
3rd - CB
4th - OL/DE
5th - LB
6th - BPA
7th - BPA

Do we have a 5th round pick? I can never keep track of that stuff.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

It brings up an interesting question: If we can't restructure Rolle and we cut him, do we go after Jarius Byrd?

You want that deep FS, there he is. And Fewell will obviously love him since he was DROY under Perry.

What ya think?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Eh, Byrd is not QUITE the deep/rangy safety I'm looking for. He is very good, but I really just want a stud guy with top notch range. I feel like he isn't quite there.

I want Kenny pre-knee injury and Earl Thomas type range. I am so sad about Kenny. He was one of my favorite picks/players ever. Thought he was going to be that awesome deep/rangy safety for us. Still, even with his injury issues he was a really good player for us.

Likewise, I'd rather spend money on OL if we're going to do anything this off-season. Byrd will probably get overpaid because there is less talent available at his position.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Kenny was probably going to wind up being my favorite player if he never had that knee. It's a shame bc he was going to be so special.

Is there a safety that fits that mold in the draft though? I haven't really looked into it, but no one stands out like last year. Last year was a great year to get a safety, but this class doesn't seem too hot superficially at least.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I really think Anthony Collins might be the best bang for buck FA OLmen available. Brandon Albert will be expensive, Oher is strictly a RT.

Collins can play LT and RT, and can even slide in at G. He won't be overly expensive, and I think his versatility gives us flexibility. He was very good and very underrated on Cinncy.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Kenny was probably going to wind up being my favorite player if he never had that knee. It's a shame bc he was going to be so special.

Is there a safety that fits that mold in the draft though? I haven't really looked into it, but no one stands out like last year. Last year was a great year to get a safety, but this class doesn't seem too hot superficially at least.
I honestly don't know about the safety class. I need to look into it more. Truthfully, I cannot remember the last time a truly stud safety came out since Earl Thomas. Vaccarro was supposedly really good in his rookie season and was a guy I really wanted. Still, seems like we have not had one of those crazy good safeties in a long time. I miss those days.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I honestly don't know about the safety class. I need to look into it more. Truthfully, I cannot remember the last time a truly stud safety came out since Earl Thomas. Vaccarro was supposedly really good in his rookie season and was a guy I really wanted. Still, seems like we have not had one of those crazy good safeties in a long time. I miss those days.
I liked Vaccaro a lot. This was a loaded Safety class. If SF doesn't move up, we would have taken Eric Reid, who's also a stud. Tyron Matheiu was looking very good too, but I knew we wouldn't take him.

If we keep Rolle, we might just have to roll (no pun) with what we have at safety. We can't address everything this year, there are some holes that are just gonna have to remain holes.

Keep Rolle, hope that the combination of Hill/Brown works out, draft a mid round safety, and just pray. That's probably all we could do at this point.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Yeah, I think S is a position we can live at for another, but if a stud safety falls into our lap I would not hesitate to grab him.

Although honestly, every year we've said "we can make it for another year this position" it's come back to bite us in the ass that year.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I know. I agree. Part of me wants to address OL as much as possible in FA so we can go into the draft with a BPA mindset. That way we don't pass up on a great talent just bc we have to take an OLmen at 12. I feel like that's handcuffing us right now.

If I was a patient man (I'm not, I'm the furthest thing from patient you ever seen) I'd say forget FA altogether and just build through the draft with a strict BPA philosophy and hope that 2 good drafts rebuilds this team, but I don't want to waste anymore years of Eli.