Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-09-2014, 05:38 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State

No one seems to really be talking about this guy. I think he has a good chance to succeed at the next level in the NFL. He led the nation in catches and touchdowns last season. Sure he plays in the Mountain West and in an offense that passes the ball a lot, but the guy has talent. I've heard some comparisons to Keenan Allen of the Chargers. Both have about the same size. Wouldn't mind if we got him for the 49ers. I've heard he could go as early as the second round. What are your thoughts on him?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:14 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's not a burner and that limits me in thinking he'd be a number 1. I'd like to see him run more routes than he does. But overall, I like him and think he'd be a nice compliment to Crab and Boldin(if resigned).
Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 AM    (permalink
Bearfan21
Rookie

Bearfan21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearfan21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearfan21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearfan21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearfan21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearfan21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearfan21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearfan21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearfan21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearfan21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearfan21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im very interested to see how Adams performs at the Combine. Right now I see a player who who has great size and a great catching radius. There are not many WR's out there that can go up and get the ball like he can.

What worries me about him is when watching film on him most of his routes are either go routes or screens . You dont see him running all the routes he will be asked to run in the Nfl. He is not a burner but looks to have more build up speed then anything. I think his draft position will greatly hinge on how fast he runs in Indianapolis.

Right now I have him as a mid-late 2nd rounder.
Bearfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:20 AM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have him behind guys like Landry and Beckham. Toward the back end of the 2nd-tier WR's or toward the top of the 3rd tier.
E_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Camp Arm
Rookie

Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Camp Arm is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would be one of the receivers i would like the seahawks to target late in round one, they need a big jump ball target in the passing game especially in the redzone.
Camp Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adams is tricky, when I've watched him he can go up and make plays when coverage is tight but when the DB has ball skills and actually gets his head around he doesn't look nearly as good. Part of that is he does a pretty good job not showing his hands until late, but I don't know how impressed I am when he's actually contested for catches. Definitely not a burner but he does have some wiggle, and I wonder how much he benefited from having Carr as his QB. Good college receiver I want to watch more of because I'm not sure exactly how well the skill set he showed the few times I watched him.

As an aside, Allen Robinson reminds me of Keenan Allen more than Adams does.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am afraid that Adams might become the next Robert Meachem though. Finesse receiver that won't be able to hack it at the next level. Adams also seems to work the sidelines for the most part. I don't think he saw that much action across the middle. Or he wasn't given that many opportunities to do so in Fresno's offense. Maybe I'm wrong though. Didn't see every one of their games.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 02-09-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like a nice, balanced receiver but his ceiling may be a low-end #2. Good hands but everything else looks average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty much all he runs are screens, shallow crosses, and fades. Not a fan at all, I wouldn't be surprised if he were the Rashaun Woods type of guy who posted huge numbers in school and doesn't do anything in the NFL. Tools look decent but it's hard to tell what he really offers or which routes he can run well because of what a staggering volume of his production came on the types I mentioned earlier.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:18 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He doesn't seem to be particularly good at anything except for being big. He seems very slow-footed and for whatever reason, it seems like he has a bad attitude. But I don't have much basis for that. I'm particularly against those WRs that have only been playing for two years, though. I wouldn't touch him.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:49 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Pretty much all he runs are screens, shallow crosses, and fades. Not a fan at all, I wouldn't be surprised if he were the Rashaun Woods type of guy who posted huge numbers in school and doesn't do anything in the NFL. Tools look decent but it's hard to tell what he really offers or which routes he can run well because of what a staggering volume of his production came on the types I mentioned earlier.
Not necessarily debating over whether you like him or not, and this guy has a completely different body type but that basically sums up Deymarius Thomas in the NFL. An NFL WR does not need to be able to run the entire route tree to be successful. Hell, Julio Jones doesn't run that many routes either and both he and Thomas are likely top 5 WRs in the NFL.

I think for where he is projected to go he is a good player and could make a lot of teams better. I actually think he would fit in in New England and if they got him at the end of the 2nd i actually think the value is pretty decent.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:22 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
How do you grade Sammy Watkins out? I think the same arguement can be made that a ton of his yardarge was accumulated on similar routes.

I agree that he might not be a fit for every team but there are plenty of offenses designed around these concepts. KC comes to mind off the top of my head, Andy has always had a ton of different screens built into his scheme.

Last edited by Witten4HOF : 02-10-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:59 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of good points made about Davonte above.

First, his combine numbers were faster than Sammy Watkins in both the shuttle and the 3-cone, but a bit slower in the straight line 40.
His vertical was almost a half-foot higher than Watkins at 39.5 to 34.

They have almost identical size. Good, solid size. Not a monster like Megatron or Brandon Marshall.
But not tiny guys like Tavon Austin or DeSean Jackson.

That solid size, and spectacular vertical, comes in handy sometimes.
Part of the reason he led America with 131 catches, and 24 TDs.

http://packersinsider.com/2014/05/da...ound-2-wr-gem/

This was a great pick for the Packers, in round 2.
Greg Jennings, Randall Cobb, and Jordy Nelson were all 2nd round picks for Green Bay.
Davonte Adams is next.
And he's a good guy, not a bad character/attitude person as one person guessed earlier.

There will be a bunch of WRs who went in round 1 who do less than Adams will, in time. For now, he's behind 3 good WR's already on the team.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:51 AM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree that its a great pick for Green Bay. Fits in perfectly with what they do and what they have already. I love Watkins, but the more I think about it...is he really that much better than all these other guys? Considering the value at WR in the 2nd round, Watkins in the top 5 might be too high in retrospect. Wouldn't be surprised at all if guys like Jordan Matthews or Davante Adams have better careers, especially given the situations.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:54 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For GB, I think he will be a huge threat in the RZ. Probably will fit in well as a 3rd option.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
For GB, I think he will be a huge threat in the RZ. Probably will fit in well as a 3rd option.
He'll probably start as the 4th receiver behind Boykin. If Adams plays well maybe we let Jordyzzzz go, although that would be depressing.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
He'll probably start as the 4th receiver behind Boykin. If Adams plays well maybe we let Jordyzzzz go, although that would be depressing.
I think they would/should let Cobb go over Nelson.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:03 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
I see your thinking, but Cobb I think is about 4 years younger.... which seems to matter much to the GM's thinking.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:12 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
That would be terrible. Jordy is 30 next off-season, if we give him a big contract he's gonna be on the decline for half of it and we'll end up letting him go when it's finished. Cobb is 23. We can have him for the next 10 years. And Nelson isn't even significantly better than Cobb.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:49 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nelson isn't going anywhere, he'll get his money from us on a 3-4 year deal. To pay him over Cobb isn't even close to what the Packers do. See Greg Jennings.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:10 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

For any West Coasters, or anyone who's watched Fresno play, tell me your comps on Davante.

I have just read tons of articles and stuff on him from during his season, and leading into the draft, and seen comps from Michael Crabtree to James Jones to Victor Cruz to Josh Gordon.

I honestly don't know, and I admit each evaluator can see someone totally differently.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:05 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

From what I saw he played outside the numbers. Pretty good hands. Can make the tough grab on contested throws. Decent separation I guess. Wanted him here badly on SF. At the combine he had a 39.5" vertical. I think the big question remains if he'll be able to get off the jam consistently at the next level. Hopefully, for your sake, he's the next Torry Holt and not the next Robert Meachem.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2014, 04:12 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wasn't a huge fan because he basically ran a bunch of simple routes and an incredible amount of screens, but he obviously has some physical talent based on the Combine, and he is a reliable catcher as well. I think he'll work out well in Green Bay's offense.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Nelson isn't going anywhere, he'll get his money from us on a 3-4 year deal. To pay him over Cobb isn't even close to what the Packers do. See Greg Jennings.
Jordy signed his last contract extension right before he broke out. He's been an absolute steal for several years and he's never publicly complained or asked to renegotiate. On a per-dollar basis, he's probably the best veteran WR in the NFL by a pretty wide margin, so I'm not counting on any type of hometown discount this time around. I wouldn't blame him one bit if he went into Free Agency and took the highest offer. This is going to be his last chance to break the bank.

As for Adams, I think he could be like Jordy and take a few years to really get some momentum going in the NFL. Both of them ran a limited route tree in college and that can slow down progress for young receivers. I still love the pick though, because he's a great fit for what the Packers like to do. I also love that 40" vertical. That type of explosion is going to help him get off the line in the NFL.

Last edited by WCH : 05-13-2014 at 08:25 AM.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote