Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 AM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dix is another in a long line of great college DBs under Nick Saban who translate to average NFL players. Honestly if he didn't play for Alabama he would not viewed so highly.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:22 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
Dix is another in a long line of great college DBs under Nick Saban who translate to average NFL players. Honestly if he didn't play for Alabama he would not viewed so highly.
I don't think that's true. 6'2", rangy safeties are viewed highly at all times.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 PM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Pryor - just - but both play very deep and so pretty much impossible to be confident from TV scouting - FS is the hardest position.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
I'm curious to hear a more thorough explanation of why you feel this way.

I've watched a lot of tape on Haha and found myself impressed. He's a disciplined deep safety with excellent athleticism (his straight line speed might only be good and not elite, but he has fantastic hips, a very efficient backpedal and elite burst.)

I thought he did a really superb job of not letting receivers get behind him and closing quickly on throws.

I think he's a much, much better cover prospect than Barron was (who had terrible hips and moved like an average linebacker to me.)

I'm really just curious for a good, thought out counter-argument from the posters saying they really don't like him. WHY don't you like him? What makes him so average to you guys?

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:46 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
I'm curious to hear a more thorough explanation of why you feel this way.

I've watched a lot of tape on Haha and found myself impressed. He's a disciplined deep safety with excellent athleticism (his straight line speed might only be good and not elite, but he has fantastic hips, a very efficient backpedal and elite burst.)

I thought he did a really superb job of not letting receivers get behind him and closing quickly on throws.

I think he's a much, much better cover prospect than Barron was (who had terrible hips and moved like an average linebacker to me.)

I'm really just curious for a good, thought out counter-argument from the posters saying they really don't like him. WHY don't you like him? What makes him so average to you guys?
Alright I don't have a lot of time to write out a really in-depth analysis and I certainly don't speak for everyone but I'll try to explain why I personally prefer Pryor.

If you asked me right now who I'd rather have playing single high FS in the NFL it would certainly be HaHa. He makes less mistakes in coverage and is a good last line of defense. The reason I like Pryor more is that I believe in a year or two he'll be the better player as he has higher upside. I believe he has better range, he's more instinctive and aggressive attacking the football, and I believe he's a better playmaker. He just needs to learn to play a little smarter and to understand when it's right to take risks and when you need to make the safe play. I believe it's easier to teach a guy to be more conservative than it is to teach a guy to be more aggressive.

I have little doubt that HaHa will be a solid NFL FS but I don't see him being a guy who changes games. I think that Pryor has that potential although he's going to need some work to get there. Personally, I'd take the chance on Pryor and hope I can mold him into something special.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meh on both Haha and Pryor in the first, Pryor has the higher ceiling for sure though. He had some flashes of balls skills but clearly prefers attacking the target rather then going after the ball. Needs to clean up his form on tackling or he is going to draw a ton of targeting penalties and missed tackles from throwing flying shoulders without wrapping up. Clearly has the athleticism to play FS but I think his game translates better to SS. Could develop into a more athletic version of Mark Barron or a poor mans Polamalu.

Haha is smooth to a fault, looks like he plays at one speed no matter the urgency of the play. Has more then enough burst to play half of the field in coverage and does a nice of job getting his hands on the ball. Average tackler who won't skirt around guys but isn't an intimidator coming down hill.

I have a preference for guys with the ability to play some man coverage so I have Joyner/ Ward ranked higher then both.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see HCD as a bigger Earl Thomas while Pryor is more of a Chancellor type.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:01 PM    (permalink
SRogers92
Rookie

SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just watched three games of Pryor and think he's pretty good in zone coverage and short-intermediate coverage. For the person saying that Pryor plays deep way too often so it's hard to "TV Scout" him, that's nonsense. He played within 10-15 yards of the LOS way, way more then a Dix or even a Jimmie Ward. Took some bad angles on deeper passes and was often a step late. For all of the love I hear on his tackling, he doesn't seem to wrap up(much like Dix) and seems more of a hitter than a tackler.

I heard a comparison to Bob Sanders and I don't see the elite level explosiveness of Sanders and I question Pryor's instincts at times. I think Pryor is more on the Louis Delmas level than Bob Sanders. Don't me wrong, Delmas was a good player(prior to injury), but not someone you'd take until very late first or early second round. Dix has way more upside and flashes that next level instincts that you can't teach.
SRogers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 PM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRogers92 View Post
I just watched three games of Pryor and think he's pretty good in zone coverage and short-intermediate coverage. For the person saying that Pryor plays deep way too often so it's hard to "TV Scout" him, that's nonsense. He played within 10-15 yards of the LOS way, way more then a Dix or even a Jimmie Ward. Took some bad angles on deeper passes and was often a step late. For all of the love I hear on his tackling, he doesn't seem to wrap up(much like Dix) and seems more of a hitter than a tackler.

I heard a comparison to Bob Sanders and I don't see the elite level explosiveness of Sanders and I question Pryor's instincts at times. I think Pryor is more on the Louis Delmas level than Bob Sanders. Don't me wrong, Delmas was a good player(prior to injury), but not someone you'd take until very late first or early second round. Dix has way more upside and flashes that next level instincts that you can't teach.
Good take on Pryor.
E_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:07 PM    (permalink
D-Shiznit
Rookie

D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Shiznit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Breaking down Louisville safety Calvin Pryor

http://www.nfl.com/v...wn-Calvin-Pryor

"A complete safety prospect"

D-Shiznit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRogers92 View Post

For the most part, I agree with this. Pryor's pass coverage is overrated at this point; he's probably around the 6th or 7th best safety in pass coverage in this draft.

He's also a hitter more than tackler and I have major concerns about him getting penalties and fines in the NFL. I also think his athleticism isn't as good as Sanders but in terms of straight line speed and burst, he's very good. His hips aren't great, though.

He's a guy that's moving up because his play is flashy but his actual skillset isn't quite as good. Still a very good prospect but not the top 15 guy some people are saying now (could he go top 15? yes. Is he one of the 15 best prospects this year? No.)

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:47 PM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Shiznit View Post
Breaking down Louisville safety Calvin Pryor

http://www.nfl.com/v...wn-Calvin-Pryor

"A complete safety prospect"
Someone said it. It must be true!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:34 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When you have guys ranked this close together, the Combine usually sorts it out. Obviously, the one who gets drafted first will be the one who plays the style of the first team to draft a Safety. If they want a Safety who is best in pass coverage, Clinton-Dix will be the choice, if they are looking for a tough Safety, it will be Pryor.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:02 PM    (permalink
MrSmith88
Rookie

MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.MrSmith88 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
I see HCD as a bigger Earl Thomas while Pryor is more of a Chancellor type.
Everyone wants to make comparisons to the Seahawks safeties now. Both of them are better suited for single high safety or deep half. Pryor is only similar to Chancellor because they're both viscous.
MrSmith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:39 PM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmith88 View Post
Everyone wants to make comparisons to the Seahawks safeties now. Both of them are better suited for single high safety or deep half. Pryor is only similar to Chancellor because they're both viscous.
If your'e playing Pryor in single-high, you better make sure all your sins are forgiven.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:24 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
Clinton Dix reminds me of Roman Harper.
Who else sees Roman Harper in Clinton-Dix?

Anyone see Kenny Phillips?
How about Ed Reed?
What about Jairus Byrd?
Brandon Merriweather?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 AM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

Dix is hard to place, but maybe a bigger version of Antoine Bethea (when he was in his prime).