Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-14-2014, 05:30 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Aaron Murray Will Participate at UGA Pro Day

https://twitter.com/Eric_Edholm/stat...84961823465472

I haven't dived into extensive QB work yet, but from the games I have watched over the years, Murray is the guy that intrigues me in this class - especially from a value standpoint.

He's not the most gifted, and he doesn't have the size you want, but I think he's a better player than McCarron for starters. Based on simply the eye test over the years watching SEC football.

So far this offseason he's rehabbed this quickly from a torn ACL, plus attended the Senior Bowl even while injured. The "winner" label is stupid... ...when it applies to a prospect you don't like. But for Russell Wilson. Now Murray didn't win Nat'l Titles or even SEC Titles like McCarron. But he won a whole heck of a lot in the SEC.

Anybody think THIS is actually the overlooked franchise QB?
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think if you're looking for that diamond in the rough 3rd round type it could be Murray. Reminds me of Russell Wilson in some ways.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope Murray is successful, but I don't believe he'll be anything more than a serviceable backup. I just don't think he has the tools.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:15 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Murray as well, I don't care about his size, I'd be more concerned about his decision making.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:42 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Murray will be a high level backup for some team with outside starting potential. He should earn an NFL paycheck for a while.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:46 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd consider him in the 4th

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:20 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt he gets out of the second round but that is as high as I see him going. He's an intriguing prospect with enough skill to be a starting NFL QB. I think the interview process is extremely important for him. Before he got injured this past season, he had answered a lot of question marks thrown his way about the ability to win the big games, unfortunately, the injury ended his season early.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:36 PM    (permalink
JDB7821
Rookie

JDB7821 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
I really like Murray as well, I don't care about his size, I'd be more concerned about his decision making.
Bingo. I live outside of Atlanta and have watched him play a lot. I just hate when quarterbacks look to the sideline for their audible and that's what Murray did quite often. It shows a lack of control and intelligence to me. That said, I think he'll be a low end starter or a great backup.
JDB7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's easier to make good decisions when you can see over the people in front of you.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:36 PM    (permalink
polska78
Rookie

polska78 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

My concern with Murray would be how he handles pressure. I recall him looking real uncomfortable and breaking down mechanically when getting heavy pressure.
polska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:59 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB7821 View Post
Bingo. I live outside of Atlanta and have watched him play a lot. I just hate when quarterbacks look to the sideline for their audible and that's what Murray did quite often. It shows a lack of control and intelligence to me. That said, I think he'll be a low end starter or a great backup.
Sam Bradford parlayed looking to the sidelines for audibles into being the first pick in the draft.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:12 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I think Murray is overlooked. But he's "overlooked" for a reason.

Height is kind of overrated in a lot of instances, but not for Murray. Unlike Wilson or Brees, Murray's height really does have a negative impact that manifests on the field. He'll have to make a lot of adjustments at the next level.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 AM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've always liked Murray and think of him as a poor-man's Drew Brees (speaking of Brees as a prospect coming out of Purdue). In the right situation, I think he has the chance to develop into a good starting QB. He'll almost certainly get time to sit and develop, and that's a good thing. More than likely he'll be a backup, but I think he has a much better chance than most QB's that get that career-backup designation.
E_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Huh, that is what the Georgia HC expected him to do, that is the system that Georgia uses for its QB's. It isn't in Murray's game plan for him to make those decisions.

Outside of maybe Peyton Manning, most NFL QB's are instructed to look to the sidelines or receive their instructions through their helmut, they don't make a whole lot of changes that haven't been worked out with the OC's. I'd guess that 99% of college QB's receive their instructions from the sidelines, so why would Murray be any different.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Huh, that is what the Georgia HC expected him to do, that is the system that Georgia uses for its QB's. It isn't in Murray's game plan for him to make those decisions.
FYI Matt Stafford didnt look to the sidelines for audibiles and Murray did.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:50 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
FYI Matt Stafford didnt look to the sidelines for audibiles and Murray did.
It's not that big a deal. It's just a recent trend in college football.
Cam Newton did it. So did RG3. And it's the same system I believe Chip Kelly ran at Oregon.

It doesn't mean a QB prospect is intellectually deficient for the position, it's more an effort to simplify the playcalling and verbiage for the entire offense.

Sometimes OCs love complexity for the sake of being difficult to understand.

Anything that can take some of the weight off a QB's shoulders and allow him to react instead of over-thinking IMO is a good change in the game.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's absolutely the system and tells very little (or probably nothing) about Murray's command of the offense and mental football acumen.

In fact there was a great quote from an OC about calling audibles from the sideline. Completely paraphrasing and don't even remember who said it or if he was quoted anonymously. Something along the lines of:

"I'm not risking my job and family's livelihood on the decision-making of a 19-year old kid - I don't care who he is."

It's not a bad point if you think about it.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:20 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I always rooted for him, but he almost always came up short (especially that goal line pass in the SEC Championship). He doesn't quite have it all there when asked to make quick decisions, and he doesn't have the plus physical traits to make up for it. But, he's a great competitor and I think if some team gave him 3 years to be the back-up and learn a good system, he could really make himself into one of those Cassel/Flynn hot commodities.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I always rooted for him, but he almost always came up short (especially that goal line pass in the SEC Championship). He doesn't quite have it all there when asked to make quick decisions, and he doesn't have the plus physical traits to make up for it. But, he's a great competitor and I think if some team gave him 3 years to be the back-up and learn a good system, he could really make himself into one of those Cassel/Flynn hot commodities.
Yes, early in his career he seemed to lack the ability to win big games, but I think he answered those question marks last year when he was physically able to play. As a senior, he started to win the big games on his schedule till he got hurt. We'll never know if he would have continued on that course if he had finished the season and that is why he is only getting 2nd round consideration. If he had stayed healthy and led Georgia to the NCG, he might be getting a lot more 1st round talk.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:50 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Pretty much this. He's a guy I've always wanted to succeed, but I just don't see it with him. He put up some solid numbers and you know he is going to leave it all on the field, but he just doesn't have "it". I think he will be a good number two QB for sombebody but I can't see being a long term answer as a starter in this league.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

I still think he is an intriguing prospect who will be closely watched and interviewed at his Pro Day.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Oilers4ever
Rookie

Oilers4ever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Murray graduated in under 3 years. I have never once heard anyone talk about his lack of intelligence. And you live outside of Atlanta...this is a surprising one to me.
Oilers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote