Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess this can go here because soon I will be applying for serious jobs but how do you become close with your professor so you can use him on references w/o being a total brown noser?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:46 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I guess this can go here because soon I will be applying for serious jobs but how do you become close with your professor so you can use him on references w/o being a total brown noser?
Just make an effort to be active in class and be personable when you see him on campus. I never even approached some of my instructors about it and had 2 of them tell me they would be more than willing to write a letter of reccommendation or would be fine with me using them as a reference if I would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:56 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Just make an effort to be active in class and be personable when you see him on campus. I never even approached some of my instructors about it and had 2 of them tell me they would be more than willing to write a letter of reccommendation or would be fine with me using them as a reference if I would like.
I guess that they thought it was the least that they could do after you had sex with them.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:16 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm using you guys as references when I start my career search.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:03 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
I guess that they thought it was the least that they could do after you had sex with them.
Horrid images just popped in my head. Thanks, dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Most profs are more than willing to write you a letter of recommendation or recommendation, you won't need to go out of your way assuming you were/are a good student. The only advice I can give you however is if they sound even slightly hesitant, just move on. A lukewarm recommendation is pointless. Also, talking to them about your specific plans and goals will allow them to tailor their recommendations, which should help.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we should totally just use each other as references. that'd be incredible. and time saving. and awesome.

also, on that note, looking for teaching jobs is a horrid life experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:49 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Horrid images just popped in my head. Thanks, dick.
Just know that I'm always here for you.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 PM    (permalink
StickSkills
Veteran

StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I'm starting at Penn State this summer. Plan on getting an engineering management masters degree to compliment my work experience. Now that i've joined the darkside of engineering I need the educational requirements to support my work experience.
I'm jealous. I'll be graduating in August, but all my summer courses are online (except for 1 which is a 1 week GHA in May). Summer at PSU is the best and it's not even close.

Quote:
Thats pretty sweet, I saw you post that in the RDT. What would you be doing for the Mets? Just ticket sales or?

I grew up playing against a kid who's dad is the owner of the Spokane Indians (short season A for the Rangers). I talked with him about possibly doing some marketing stuff for the team, and he said all he could offer me was a ticket sales job and he really encouraged me not to do that. Just old me to stay at my current job and get back to him when I have more experience.

However, I wish I would have taken it because I know I can sell baseball tickets, and it would give me an in to work myself up into the marketing position eventually.
Nah, I'd be an Event Logistics Assistant for their non-gameday events (so like Color Run, Weddings, Corporate meetings, concerts at the stadium, etc). It literally is nearly identical to what I did as the Distribution Management Director for Penn State Homecoming this past year (we had over 16 events, with like 12 of them crammed into one week including the largest collegiate homecoming parade in the nation).

I have a very diverse experience background. On one side, I have a very analytic/logistical background from starting out as an Industrial Engineering major, and on the other side I have a sports marketing heavy based background from my work with the athletic department (marketing intern for 2+ years, PR/Marketing Chair for Nittany Nation, and President of Nittany Nation).

I wouldn't mind doing ticket sales. One thing I've found out about myself is that I'm not amazing at talking in front of large groups of people, but if I get in a 1v1 convo or even 3v1 convo, I can get people to do nearly anything.
StickSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
I'm using you guys as references when I start my career search.
Unless you're trying to get hired at Costco I wouldn't use this bunch for references.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:19 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For professors, just find one or two that you like and go kick it in their office hours. You can begin talking about a topic that you are interested in and then usually pretty easily go into a normal conversation (if the professor is normal/cool).

As far as jobs go, I work in television production. Our season is ending soon though and I think I might try to make a change. It's been solid experience and I have met some REALLY good people, but my work/life balance is awful and I want that to change. Looking towards a possible move into advertising.

I'm also pushing hard for a job in London for personal reasons so that makes things a bit more tricky. Would be sweet if it all worked out though.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:34 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will be using some of you with really long job titles for references.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:35 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
we should totally just use each other as references. that'd be incredible. and time saving. and awesome.

also, on that note, looking for teaching jobs is a horrid life experience
Here you go:

Scottyboy is a wonderfully positive person. He posts with sincerity and is appreciated by the rest of his community for his good humor and witty banter. He is also extremely hirsute. I feel that these qualities allow him to be a great teacher. Especially the part about the hair.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:38 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

buy real estate, become rich, f*** bitches.

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Here you go:

Scottyboy is a wonderfully positive person. He posts with sincerity and is appreciated by the rest of his community for his good humor and witty banter. He is also extremely hirsute. I feel that these qualities allow him to be a great teacher. Especially the part about the hair.
I had to look up the word, "hirsute". Thanks, I learned something today.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:46 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do sales for TCF Bank. I don't know how much I really like it and I definitely don't want to do sales forever, but I'm pretty good at it and there's opportunities for advancement within the company which is in my target industry, so I'm cool with it for now.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:47 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

should i put my rep count on my resume

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
should i put my rep count on my resume
That's how I landed my job. Swapped out the boring old GPA line for REP.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:12 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I work in radio.

I'd rather work in television. Just not local television.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:32 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I had to look up the word, "hirsute". Thanks, I learned something today.
No problem. I like using underused words to jazz up my posts.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:33 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
I do sales for TCF Bank. I don't know how much I really like it and I definitely don't want to do sales forever, but I'm pretty good at it and there's opportunities for advancement within the company which is in my target industry, so I'm cool with it for now.
What kind of sales? Also, make sure you document your process and the company's process. Extremely useful down the road.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:37 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a baseball information specialist and statistician working for MLB in New York City

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post
I'm a baseball information specialist and statistician working for MLB in New York City
I think you are winning so far in this thing.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:57 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a Chartered Accountant and just got back from 6 and a bit months holidays and found that apparently my resume is recruiter krptonite as I got multiple job offers within a week of hitting the market.

It's really easy to find a job right now for me which is nice. Got the nice pay jump that starting somewhere new gets you as well just for shits and giggles!

As for the job, accounting is as boring as the stereotypes would imply but it's very easy, pays very well and has great long term prospects as well as being an outstanding foundation for just about any kind of business career. It's not intellectually rewarding or anything like that and it certainly isn't fun but it's still quiet a decent career and allows me to live a pretty good life and it's great knowing that you can drop it for sustained periods and come back to it and easily find a job.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickSkills View Post
I'm jealous. I'll be graduating in August, but all my summer courses are online (except for 1 which is a 1 week GHA in May). Summer at PSU is the best and it's not even close.
Na I won't be on campus. I'm part of their online campus. They had the best online program I could find at a reasonable price and the great thing is I can log in my course hours while at work, which is incredibly convenient for me.

They have a good engineering program there for a state university so I'm looking forward to it.