Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks

Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks Discuss the Seahawks

Old 02-27-2014, 02:31 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2014 NFL Draft Thread - Picking 32nd for the first time in Seahawks History

Needs:

5tech (in house options aren't strong)
LEO (Avril starting LEO - he's used to LE; Irvin?; Schofield?
WR (depending on Tate; still need developmental guy regardless - preferably tall
Big DT (depending on McDonald/McDaniel)
OG (LG or RG could be upgraded, but Bailey, Bowie and Carpenter still have life)
RT (depending on Giacomini and Bailey/Bowie's outlook)
TE (depending on Miller)
Nickel CB competition (depending on Lane's outlook)
S depth
outside CB depth
ST LB
PR (depending on Tate)
K (depending on Hauschka)
Long-term FB
Long-term backup QB
backup C

I think that covers it. A few thoughts:

- The OL was the weakest positional unit on the team last year and while they could use an upgrade or two, they have 6-guys under contract from next year and all of them have starting experience and/or potential to be solid. Theoretically, they could re-sign Giacomini and not use a single draft pick on OL. Unlikely, but perhaps OL isn't a need they'll address in the first two rounds. The point is that you could make a case that the coaches need to find the right configuration with what they have and that THESE OL need to play better as opposed to adding talent. You could make that case. I probably wouldn't though. A XFS or Zack Martin at 32 would be a plug-n-play.

- Some sort of defensive lineman will probably be taken in the first two rounds (unless they are able to re-sign one of the McD's, Bennett AND a guy like Arthur Jones). They need a run-stuffer more on paper, but big slugs inside aren't that difficult to find (and motivate if you have a good rotation), and you can never have enough pass rushers. O'Brien Schofield also has LEO potential. This might not be a pressing need either. After FA they may only "need" one guy.

- The fun WR pick is coming. So is the fun TE pick. If they lose Tate and sign everyone else, they could get both in the first two rounds. Regardless of whether or not they get a WR in the first two rounds, expect at least one late round pick to be used on a WR in this loaded WR class.

- Using a 1st or 2nd on a CB or FS would be very concerning for obvious reasons. But using a 4th on either position would make us all fight with each other and read way too far into things. Please just wait until the 5th, Schneider...

FA is going to be very interesting and will likely tell A LOT about direction in the draft. Looking over the roster, if they're able to keep Tate, Baldwin, and Bennett (after cutting Rice/Bryant/Miller/Clemons), they'll have very few pressing needs. And there are a bunch of fringe guys who could be back including Zach Miller, Tony McDaniel, Clinton McDonald, and Breno Giacomini. I expect WTIII to walk and get paid. And they can afford to sign ETIII AND Sherman to extensions and still get things done. If they don't come to an extension - do those two hold out? They certainly have grounds to... that's a big storyline. Extending neither would allow the Seahawks to add at least one legit outside FA.

But the best part of this regime is the WTF picks the past few years. I pride myself on being open minded with the draft and thinking outside the box for each team - so I'm rarely truly surprised with a pick. But Bruce Irvin and Christine Michael both SHOCKED me. I'm not going to let that happen this year, Schneider!

Here are some WTF options for me at No. 32:

- Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson (H/W/S with upside)
- Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State (NO ONE will predict adding another smurf to an all-smurf receiving corps)
- Lamarcus Joyner, DB, Florida State (a high quality special teamer and nickel back for a team with few glaring needs in a passing league)
- Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame (value blocking, and you can't teach that size)

And then the most WTF pick of them all - a completely predictable, commonly valued as a 1st-round pick, actually mocked to them, OL, DL, WR, or TE. I'm on to you Seahawks! I know you're preparing to counter me trying to pick the shocker correctly that you'll go and switch the program and shock me by taking a predictable player! I've caught up!

Truly the only REAL WTF pick would be a backup QB at No. 32. I just needed to write that to cover it. Just in case. Just... in... case. Please don't.

In all seriousness, I think they're either going to look to trade down (might be a great spot for a QB or really any of the studs available late in a deep draft class), or just take who falls. For example, Cordarrelle Patterson and Shariff Floyd "fell" last year. The Seahawks could get that type of value. Here are some guys I feel the Seahawks could take at No. 32 because they fell or "fell":

Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame
Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
Marqise Lee, WR, USC
Dee Ford, LEO, Auburn
Zack Martin, OL, Notre Dame
Mike Evans, WR, TAMU (long-shot only if character takes him off boards)
Anthony Barr, LEO, UCLA

I also think it's very possible that Calvin Pryor, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Darqueze Dennard, or could fall. But please refrain from that PCJS because that would give us all panic attacks for months.

And keep in mind, these types of draft-day "falls" happen each and every year. You never know how wrong the draftniks are in slotting certain guys.

So where I've finally landed, NO ONE would surprise me except another RB (don't... do it..).

And there's a hotspot of guys that I'll post at a later date that would match need with important Seahawks traits and current draftnik value. Those would be the expected picks. For me it starts with XFS, Moses, Crichton, and Allen Robinson, and ends with Yankey, Tuitt and Gabe Jackson.

And then of course they could trade up... doubtful but just imagine some insanely unprecedented move to catch a falling Clowney or Watkins? If any roster could withstand making two multi-pick investments in singular players in consecutive offseasons, it's the SB Champ with the best roster in the league featuring tons of low-round picks and UDFA...
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've got this weird feeling Pete Carroll's got a thing for Andre Williams.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 05-02-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought this was a cool Seahawks-specific graphic from FieldGulls. Think the yellow is supposed to be players the creator thinks are good/relatively likely fits, and green are the plausible selections that he's really hoping for somewhere in the first two rounds.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 05-02-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote