Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-08-2014, 07:49 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
One guy I really like this year is Anthony Spencer, who should be available for cheap after the knee surgery. He's very similar to fellow Purdue alum Rob Ninkovich in terms of being able to play different positions; he fits well as a 4-3 defensive end, 4-3 strongside linebacker, or 3-4 outside linebacker. In 2012, he was PFF's top 3-4 outside linebacker, the best run defender at the position and someone who also recorded eleven sacks, two hits, and twenty-seven hurries.

Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich played more snaps than any other 4-3 defensive ends last year, so bringing in a third end would make sense; instead of those two playing another 2250 snaps or so, each of the three could play around 700, which is more in line with guys like CHarles Johnson, Cameron Wake, and DeMarcus Ware. That way, if either end or Jamie Collins got hurt, there'd be someone to plug in. I think Spencer could be had on a one-year deal worth $3-4 million.
The Pats don't have $3-4 million to spend on a depth play who is a carbon copy of their 2 current starters. The Pats need to use their bigger free agency signings to add dimensions to their team, not add depth. It's the $3-4 million a year type signings that just end up wasting cap space for us. Fells, Ocho, Lloyd, Fanene, F. Taylor, Amendola, A. Wilson, ect. were all added because of "depth" or "veteran presence". What ends up happening most of the time, is a younger cheaper option emerges, or a year or 2 later this player's contract is too bloated and we get rid of it to save salary cap space.

I like the idea of either drafting an end high, or signing a free agent to share the workload, but adding another guy who is extremely similar doesn't give much of a value proposition. Even adding a low veteran minimum type guy like a Mark Anderson or a T. Scott does arguably as much for the team as a Spencer would because it diversifies the skillset of our players vs. just reducing the workload of our players.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:10 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That Sam Shields contract might have completely screwed the Pats in bringing back Talib.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:00 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was thinking the exact same thing. Shocked how much Griffen from the Vikings got as well, you see contracts like that and you kind of want to back out of FA and just go the draft pick route
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:06 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patriots release WR TJ Moe :(

His torn ACL must have sapped his athleticism or Edelman must be close to resigning.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moar place for Moncrief.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked Moe in college and hope he sticks on a roster, but yes another opening for Moncreif.

What are your guys thoughts on Brandin Cooks? I am almost always against us drafting another small receiver, but I would love for us to draft Cooks. Moncrief is obviously my favorite, but I am a huge fan of Cooks.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heard Steve Smith might be cut. Would love to see him team up with Brady if he is. He seems like the perfect veteran to bring in at WR if he is available. He had a decent season this past year. But more than anything I just want Brady to have an experienced veteran WR who he can throw to.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Revis is getting cut, now we can sign him and not give up picks, please, please, please
Old 03-11-2014, 12:14 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Shields got 39m what's Revis gonna get?
Old 03-11-2014, 04:53 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
If Shields got 39m what's Revis gonna get?
Wouldn't be surprised if it was still well over $10m a year, he's far better than any other corner on the market.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:58 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steve Smith seems worth investigating though, I think I'd offer a fourth or fifth-round pick if he were willing to lower his salary to $4-5 million a year. As I posted earlier, I think adding a veteran wide receiver makes much more sense than bringing in another rookie who will take time to coach up, as we already have projects in Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, etc. I'd be okay with Smith/Amendola/Dobson/Thompkins/Boyce/Slater going into next season. It seems like the only other short-term fix around lately is Hakeem Nicks, and I would be very skeptical about bringing in someone who hasn't been good for years.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:58 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if it was still well over $10m a year, he's far better than any other corner on the market.
Yeah Revis will still want to be in or around the $16m he is currently getting, but I think he would get no less than $12m

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:51 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys we've seen the Steve Smith movie before (Galloway, Holt, Ocho) gambling on a mid-late 30's receiver to find his game again is a losing proposition. I definitely would not trade raft picks for him, and using a good chunk of our available cap space doesn't seem like a good move.

I like Smith, and maybe if he came here without draft picks on a 1 year $2 million contract I'd do it, but he won't come here for that.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
Was thinking the exact same thing. Shocked how much Griffen from the Vikings got as well, you see contracts like that and you kind of want to back out of FA and just go the draft pick route
When other teams sign players to contracts like that, the Pats will sit back and wait for the dumb teams to have used their cap room inefficiently. Just hope something's left when they go to make a move.

I think they'll get Talib back, but Revis is the healthier option and would likely cost the same.

And if the Panthers are flat-out cutting Smith, there's something wrong with him. He was so vital to their offense the past couple years... I don't really see how he fits with Brady, anyway.

Last edited by nepg : 03-11-2014 at 08:59 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lot of revis specualtion. Interesting that in almost every rumor regarding him were the front runner. Makes me curious as to whether were letting talib go. Idk how wed have the cap for Revis' contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any of you guys would be up for a draft party in the New England area ?

If we land Revis I'm gonna party for the whole week.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 03-11-2014, 10:40 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No doubt the Pats will use the money Brady saved with his contract to get Revis. Just like they did last year in resigning Welker. Oh, wait . . . nvmd.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:40 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootylicous View Post
Any of you guys would be up for a draft party in the New England area ?

If we land Revis I'm gonna party for the whole week.
Sure. Can I bring all 3 kids? Mrs. Elvis will likely be working.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm down wooty.

And lets be honest, BB and Welker vs BB and a premier shut down corner back. Large disparity there.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:02 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I'm down wooty.

And lets be honest, BB and Welker vs BB and a premier shut down corner back. Large disparity there.
No doubt. Still, don't get your hopes up.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:08 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

sounds like the Pats are close to resigning Talib and they offered a 3 year deal to Julian and want an answer before 4pm (sunds like they have a back up incase he declines)
Old 03-11-2014, 11:12 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Wesley Woodyard scheduled a visit to NE.

Like this a lot, speed versatile, great ST players, nickel backer who played inside/outside.

another note

Owen Daniels is released, could get on a 1 year, good move TE
Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I know we wont get Revis. Fun to think about.

No to edeleman, yes to Talib. We don't need more system pieces taking up cap space.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I know we wont get Revis. Fun to think about.

No to edeleman, yes to Talib. We don't need more system pieces taking up cap space.
This guy gets it.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Landing TJ Ward would be pretty awesome too.

#MoncriefArmy