Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 02-10-2014, 03:31 PM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
The more I think about it I think we'll be ok with whoever we pick. I think if FS is there, we take him regardless of what we think of Commings.
WR we'll probably look at Free Agency. Maybe Maclin will want too much money but I bet Sidney Rice will be available. Given his injury history he might not be worth too much cash flow.
The Chiefs can certainly go a lot of different positions with that first pick. I just want them to get the best available player at a position of need that provides the biggest impact relative to the position he plays.

My issue with Rice and Maclin are injuries. Not saying that if we sign them they'll be hurt. But that has to be taken into consideration. Either could come in and play and never have another serious injury where they miss time. But the flip is that is that either comes in here and they aren't the same as they were before and we have money and a roster spot tied up with a player that isn't helping us. But, we could draft a WR and he gets hurt. So there is that.

But, back to the draft, for me, not knowing what the Chiefs will do in FA, it comes down to the best pass rusher (be it a pass rushing tackle, end or OLB) or WR they can get their hands on with that first pick.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:06 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IN the "this should surprise nobody" category per La Canfora Chiefs are negotiating an extension with Justin Houston. PAY THAT MAN!!!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:23 PM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It'll be interesting to see how Houston's contract affects Tamba after the 2014 season. I'm sure Houston is going to want to get paid like some of the better pass rushers in the league. Tamba already is. Can the Chiefs afford both long-term with Berry's deal coming due after next season AND probably having to pay Alex Smith at least $15 million/year? It'll be interesting to see how that play out.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:35 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneMarko View Post
It'll be interesting to see how Houston's contract affects Tamba after the 2014 season. I'm sure Houston is going to want to get paid like some of the better pass rushers in the league. Tamba already is. Can the Chiefs afford both long-term with Berry's deal coming due after next season AND probably having to pay Alex Smith at least $15 million/year? It'll be interesting to see how that play out.
Yes, I suspect he will and I hope the Chiefs understand that his stats are inflated by the competition we played against. As I recall, at least 7.5 of his 11 sacks came against rookie OTs. 3 against Joeckel, 4.5 against Lane Johnson.

Now I'm not saying he shouldn't be signed long term but another cap-busting contract (like what Bowe got) would cripple the club.
TheMatriculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:46 PM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatriculator View Post
Yes, I suspect he will and I hope the Chiefs understand that his stats are inflated by the competition we played against. As I recall, at least 7.5 of his 11 sacks came against rookie OTs. 3 against Joeckel, 4.5 against Lane Johnson.

Now I'm not saying he shouldn't be signed long term but another cap-busting contract (like what Bowe got) would cripple the club.
Good point. I'm a Justin Houston fan. But what you said has a lot of truth to it. And is exactly why I don't think the Chiefs should be out of the interior OR outside pass rusher market in free agency or the draft.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty worried about the OL moving forward. We all knew Albert was gone but I was not expecting to loss both Jon Asamoah and Geoff Schwartz.

I mean I thought Eric Fisher stepped up his game from mid season and on but he is still a question mark at LT.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
I'm pretty worried about the OL moving forward. We all knew Albert was gone but I was not expecting to loss both Jon Asamoah and Geoff Schwartz.

I mean I thought Eric Fisher stepped up his game from mid season and on but he is still a question mark at LT.
^This.

Currently our starting RG is Rokevious Watkins
Old 03-12-2014, 03:10 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3 of the top 7 offensive linemen from last year are gone. I had thought the Chiefs were in a good position to build on what they accomplished in 2013, but with the way the cap looks, massive hits to the offensive line, plus the loss of Jackson and what should prove to be a much tougher schedule probably means 2014 is going to be a long year.

I think it's safe to say virtually every position is in play for the Chiefs in the draft. The existing needs haven't changed, they still need a receiver, they still need a free safety, they already needed one defensive end but now they probably need two. I think Stephenson and Fisher are an adequate tackle combo, but with Fisher's injury history and the fact that the Chiefs have 2 tackles on the roster is worrisome. I thought Stephenson played well enough to deserve first crack at left tackle. I also thought the 2 young guards, Johnson and Watkins, played well in limited duty.

The Chiefs probably need to hit best player available offensive line, defensive end, free safety, wide receiver in the first, especially if they can't trade down. Resigning Alex Smith should become top priority, if it isn't already. That second round pick would come in handy right now.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:06 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On one hand losing 3 players on the line is rough, but on the other hand it's not like the offensive line was a bright spot for the Chiefs last year.

Would of liked to have kept Schwartz, but it seems the Giants will be giving him starting Right Tackle money and we wouldn't.

We need to trade down in May, real bad.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:17 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGfortheTD View Post
On one hand losing 3 players on the line is rough, but on the other hand it's not like the offensive line was a bright spot for the Chiefs last year.

Would of liked to have kept Schwartz, but it seems the Giants will be giving him starting Right Tackle money and we wouldn't.

We need to trade down in May, real bad.
The Chiefs, I feel, are losing their weakest link in Asamoah, the upgrade in Schwartz, and the veteran stabilizer in Albert. They need to pick up one or two of those older guards on a cheap deal. It's make it break it season for Hudson.

The Chiefs need to trade down every year. Hope they can this year.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:38 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's clear that the two biggest needs right now are OG (RG, specifically) and FS. If we can come out of the first three rounds with starters at each position I'd be ecstatic.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:01 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel like I never say this enough, so let me get caught up a little bit:

**** the Broncos
Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

John Elway has been trolling the Chiefs for about 100 years.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:39 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGfortheTD View Post
I feel like I never say this enough, so let me get caught up a little bit:

**** the Broncos
I still need to make good on my threat to nuke Denver if they signed Peyton Manning. They just keep deserving it more and more.

That said, Emmanuel Sanders would've been a good signing in KC, but I'm not mad at him for wanting to catch Peyton's passes. I'm mad at his agent for being a troll, if such rumors are true.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:41 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Also, I really like the Joe Mays signing. I thought he looked real good with Denver a couple of years ago. Vance Walker looked good with the Raiders last year. I have no idea about Linkenbach, but he sounds similar to Schwartz last year and that turned out well.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:07 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

In a mock draft I've been working on tonight, I've got the Chiefs picking:

1. Xavier Su'a-Filo G - UCLA
3. Jeff Janis WR - Saginaw Valley St.
4. Dontae Johnson DB - North Carolina St.

I figure between Reid and Dorsey's propensity to pick linemen, one will be picked at 23 if they can't move down.

I didn't like the run of receivers going in the 3rd so I pulled the trigger on Janis. Big, fast, I'm going to draw the Jordy Nelson comparison due to the measurables and because their both white.

In the 4th, I didn't like any of the safeties available, or the defensive ends, so I took Johnson, who has some size to him which I thought would fit the scheme or he could possibly slide back to free.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:41 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

I think if I were the Chiefs I'd see if the Eagles would take a 4th-conditionaled to a 3rd in 2015 for DeSean Jackson. I think Jackson would be a perfect complement to Bowe and would provide that spark on the outside that the Chiefs lack. Plus he'd be set up to replace McCluster on punt returns.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:35 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

Default Keep Drafting QBs

IMO, the Chiefs need to draft a QB at some point in this draft. GMs talk a big game about drafting and developing QBs. But few actually do it. Pioli always talked about constantly drafting QBs is "good business". But in 4 years he only did it once (Stanzi). John Dorsey has said something similar about the need to keep drafting and developing young arms. I need to see him stick to those words.

Now, this isn't an Alex Smith post. This is a post about changing the culture of the Chiefs from constantly relying on trading for other teams' leftover and start getting teams to start trading for OUR leftovers.

Now, I'm a Tyler Bray fan. But I'm not so much of a fan that I'm blind to the statistical fact that he might not work out. I'm a Mizzou guy but I'm also not blind to the notion that he's probably not going to be here long-term. Especially at $3M/year. And Alex Smith only has one more year left on his deal...

We always hear about "pitching being the currency of baseball". Well, IMO, QBs are the currency of football. You draft them, develop them, and even if they aren't long-term for your program, you maybe flip them for future, potentially, more valuable picks. That's how you profit.

Now, relative to the Chiefs, as mentioned, the Chiefs currently don't have an extension in place for Alex Smith. Who is counting something like $8M against the cap. And it's well documented that the Chiefs are VERY low on cap space. Can they even afford to extend Alex Smith? IDK. What if they can't...?

If they cannot extend Alex Smith by draft time, IMO it becomes increasingly important that the Chiefs prepare themselves at that position for the chance that they might not be able to keep Smith beyond the 2014/15 season. Meaning get another QB in here and see if between that prospect, Bray and maybe Chase Daniel they have a guy they can build around long term.

Now, I'm not saying the Chiefs need to draft a QB in the first round (although if what Daniel Jeremiah is saying about Bridgewater falling into the 20s is true, then the Chiefs would be wise to draft him if he's still there at 23). But if come the 5th, 6th, or 7th round, there's a QB there with some potential, then the Chiefs need to SERIOUSLY consider pulling the trigger there. If for no other reason than the potential that between he and Bray, maybe the Chiefs can part ways with Daniel and save some cap space...? IDK.

IDK, but I just know that the Chiefs need to get in the habit of drafting QBs, no worse than, every other year. And maybe even some periods QBs in back to back years. Draft them, develop them, if you have multiple good ones that other teams might want, flip them for picks (or make them your starter).

Now, like I said, if Bridgewater, by some Aaron Rodgers like fluke, drops to 23, the Chiefs need to have a SERIOUS discussion. But, for instance, come the 5th or 6th round, Tom Savage from Pitt is there or Jeff Mathews from Cornell is there, the Chiefs need maybe pull the trigger. I know we're down a pick this year due to the Alex Smith deal. But, like I said, the Chiefs need to get in the habit of investing in that position and drafting their OWN QBs. Then get to the point where teams are throwing us picks for OUR leftovers.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:05 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would really like the Desean Jackson signing if it happens.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

Unfortunately, according to reports, the Chiefs are no longer pursuing DeSean Jackson.

Looks like if the Chiefs want an upgrade at WR, it's going to have to be in the draft. And if they do go WR in the first, I hope it's Beckham.

Although I really hope the Chiefs don't rule out a pass-rusher like Kony Ealy in the 1st. I think the Chiefs really need to upgrade the pass-rush. AND, for financial reasons, they may have to make a tough decision on Tamba after this year. And if they have to part ways, better to already have his replacement on the roster and with a bit of experience instead of having to scramble after the fact to replace him.

And, if Jeremiah's predictions comes to fruition and Bridgewater falls to the 20s...the Chiefs probably need to grab him and not look back.

Last edited by KaneMarko : 03-31-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:12 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

If Teddy is there at 23 and they pass on him I'll be inconsolable. No kidding. Probably for a long time too.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:18 PM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

Same here. If he falls to 23 and the Chiefs don't take him, it'll prove to me, once and for all, that the Chiefs have absolutely no desire to EVER draft and develop their own franchise QB.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:21 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

not that it would have worked out for the Chiefs, but i remember having the SAME thought on Brady Quinn (i have had a lot of family attend ND and its my 2nd fav college team to root for). its actually ironic how similar the circumstances are. the Chiefs were drafting 23rd in 2007. Brady had hopes of #1 overall early in the process. a bigger, more raw talent moved ahead of him with a great pro day. i was watching the draft @ The Flamingo Casino and when Brady's drop started, i told a friend, "i hope he falls to 23." we REALLY needed a QB. Dallas had the 22nd pick and had no use for a new QB. Romo was young and promising. i just knew we were going to take him next. "The Dallas Cowboys have traded the 22nd pick to the Cleveland Browns." DAMN!!! a team that was inline to take him with the #3 overall pick. only thing stopping them was a future all pro LT. Cleveland was definitely going to take Brady.

the one thing about this Chiefs organization right now vs any time in the past is these guys have a history of taking QBs. Ried loves QBs. Dorsey has been with the Packers and they draft a ton of QBs. not drafting 1 this year wouldnt mean they dont want to develop 1. it means we have a lot of holes to fill, no money to spend in FA, no 2nd round pick and a win now philosophy/fan base. those dont add up to a luxury pick of a QB in the 1st couple rounds.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 AM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan View Post
not that it would have worked out for the Chiefs, but i remember having the SAME thought on Brady Quinn (i have had a lot of family attend ND and its my 2nd fav college team to root for). its actually ironic how similar the circumstances are. the Chiefs were drafting 23rd in 2007. Brady had hopes of #1 overall early in the process. a bigger, more raw talent moved ahead of him with a great pro day. i was watching the draft @ The Flamingo Casino and when Brady's drop started, i told a friend, "i hope he falls to 23." we REALLY needed a QB. Dallas had the 22nd pick and had no use for a new QB. Romo was young and promising. i just knew we were going to take him next. "The Dallas Cowboys have traded the 22nd pick to the Cleveland Browns." DAMN!!! a team that was inline to take him with the #3 overall pick. only thing stopping them was a future all pro LT. Cleveland was definitely going to take Brady.

the one thing about this Chiefs organization right now vs any time in the past is these guys have a history of taking QBs. Ried loves QBs. Dorsey has been with the Packers and they draft a ton of QBs. not drafting 1 this year wouldnt mean they dont want to develop 1. it means we have a lot of holes to fill, no money to spend in FA, no 2nd round pick and a win now philosophy/fan base. those dont add up to a luxury pick of a QB in the 1st couple rounds.
An idea that bears repeating. The Chiefs really are not in a position to spend a 1st round choice on a QB. Not unless you guys are willing to sit through another 4-12 season and a starter who is looking toward free agency. With a much tougher schedule and teams knowing how to game plan us now, they need to address some pressing needs.

Personally, I'd like to see them take an open mind into the draft. Don't focus exclusively on one position and take the best player that can improve the team. If some like CJ Mosley slides to 23, take him. Sure plays he same position as DJ but DJ will be 32 this season, Nico hasn't been that impressive and Frank Zombo is just a guy (until proven otherwise).

Finally, as to Bridgewater...no. He too quick too complain and too quick to make excuses for my tastes. That's not what leaders do. Now if Jimmy Garoppolo (and his quick release) was available in the 4th round, that's different.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:23 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

There's never going to be the perfect time to draft a QB. There's always going to be a reason why you can't or shouldn't do it. History tells us that the vast majority of SB winners are winning with QBs they've drafted and/or developed. Yes, there are exceptions i.e. Drew Brees. But history tells us that it's typically done with QBs that do the vast majority of their development in your system (guys like Favre/Young may not have been drafted by the Packers/49ers but they were developed by those teams).

Now, with regards to Teddy Bridgewater, before the combine people were talking about him like he may be taken at or near the top of the draft. The combine rolls around and now all of a sudden there are some saying he's going to fall to the 20s and maybe beyond. That tells me that the kid, at least on game film, looked like a good enough QB to be considered that high. Now, I'm not in his interviews. So maybe there are some character red flags. IDK.

The real point isn't really about Bridgewater, per se, it's about that long post I posted last week about the Chiefs getting away from relying on other teams to develop QBs for them and start trying to develop their own. Because the former hasn't yielded great success.

I "like" Alex Smith, but I also think the Chiefs need to have a plan beyond him because:

A.) He's not contracted beyond this year
B.) We don't even know if we can afford him beyond this year
C.) Even though the last 2.5 years of his career have been solid, we still don't know what Alex Smith is. Last year we had a pretty cake schedule (least for the first half). So what is Alex Smith?

I don't view drafting a QB at any point in this draft as a "luxury". Yes, the Chiefs have holes to fill. But they are always going to have holes to fill. Next year when Berry and Houston are up for new contracts and we have to let one of them go, then we're going to have to fill that hole. And so forth and so on. So there is always going to be holes. To which, if for no other reason, there may be a hole at QB next year if we cannot get Alex re-upped....OR...He reverts back to his pre-Harbaugh days. Regardless, I don't think the Chiefs should be out of the QB market. Be it in the first round or waiting and taking shots at guys like Murray, Savage, or Mathews later. I just think it'd be wise for them to make some kind of investment there.

Now, having said all of that, the Chiefs won't draft a QB this year. I just think, philosophically, they really need to get into the habit of drafting QBs on somewhat of a regular basis. That position is too important to not invest heavily in and not take calculated chances on. Especially if you aren't 100% sure the guy you have is "THE" guy.

JMO

Last edited by KaneMarko : 04-07-2014 at 10:49 AM.