Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-25-2014, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What I really find interesting is that there are so many ways we can go.

Usually we know how NYG generally likes to draft, but that may not be the case this year, pretty much everything is up in the air.

I just hope we draft well and there are none of the wtf style picks that we have had far too many of in the first couple of days of the draft. And rolling the dice to much on potential/upside on day 3
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm still on the Donald train. get at me
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
i'm still on the Donald train. get at me
I certainly don't mind Donald at all, but I can also see us going in quite a lot of ways, really this year is wide open.

The other difference with this year is the depth of talent at some positions. Do you wait to address certain positions a little later?

It is all going to depend on our draft board and who shakes loose at 12 or whether a team is willing to trade up.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Donald or Evans are my top two at the moment unless someone falls that we don't expect.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:35 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope it's not Donald. That's 1 pick I don't want. I'd rather take Evans or Gilbert.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gilbert? With all they just put into CB? No... He wouldn't see the field on defense in an ideal world. He'd start the season off as the No. 4 CB.

I don't see them passing on Ebron if he's there. They are going into the draft basically admitting they are going to draft a TE high. They went out and filled a bunch of other needs in FA. Value meets need if he's there at 12. I think that's what they're hoping, and I think he'll make it past BUF, DET, and TEN. Plus, Reese loves ACC players.

If they don't get him, they're starting the season with a huge question mark at a very important position. And it's very tough to be confident with Niklas starting.

I'd even go as far as to say Amaro is a possibility at 12 (or on a trade-down), if Ebron is gone and they project him as a guy who can play inline (which he has the disposition for).
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:03 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you advocate breaking the bank for Prince when he is a FA? If so, then no, I agree. If it's like LinJo, and we let Prince go, then yeah you're going to need another Cb. I am not big on DRC, so just him as our guy worries me.

Plus not only that we go through Cbs like an incontinent person goes through clothes.

Last edited by NY+Giants=NYG : 03-25-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Prince plays at a high level, yes, I advocate paying him.

If he doesn't, they still have Thurmond and McBride as possibilities. I think Hosley is bad.

I just highly doubt they spend that much on CBs in FA then use a pick on one.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
If Prince plays at a high level, yes, I advocate paying him.

If he doesn't, they still have Thurmond and McBride as possibilities. I think Hosley is bad.

I just highly doubt they spend that much on CBs in FA then use a pick on one.
You're going to have 2 high priced Cbs then. I want to keep Prince too, but I am curious to see what his asking price is. Thurmond is one off the field issue or substance issue from another suspension. McBride is depth and Hosley is always hurt. That's not factoring injuries which happens every year at CB.

Basically you'd be breaking in Gilbert just in case Prince hits the road. Plus you need 3 Cbs anyways. You can always play Gilbert and let his contract run out. And if by chance DRC stinks, then go from there.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind CB either but it's a little harder to defend.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

CB could be an option if we stay at 12 and they are the best player available, but I do think we will have higher value options.

Prince, Thurmond and James are off contract after this season and McBride and Hosley come off contract after 2015.

DRC deal has options after a couple of years, he is no lock to see out his entire deal.

It seems to me there is an opportunity to develop a quality CB for the future.

Don't forget that Rolle, Brown and Hill all come off contract after this season, there could be scope to move Prince to safety.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 03-25-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Now MM, was that directed at me? If so that's not accurate in the least bit.
Yes, it was directed at you.
Mike Maycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I certainly don't mind Donald at all, but I can also see us going in quite a lot of ways, really this year is wide open.

The other difference with this year is the depth of talent at some positions. Do you wait to address certain positions a little later?

It is all going to depend on our draft board and who shakes loose at 12 or whether a team is willing to trade up.
Yea I agree. And I've always wondered if teams factor in the depth at positions when selecting.

I got my fingers crossed for a trade down. I don't see anyone as a must have at 12. I'm just hoping one team loves a guy enough to come up for him.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:46 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maycock View Post
Yes, it was directed at you.
Well like I said then that's not even close to accurate.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

I can't see us taking a corner in the first but definitely in rounds 2 or 3.

Ebron doesn't do it for me but I'm not totally opposed to it. I prefer Amaro or Niklas, I think they just fit Eli better.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:13 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Evans and Niklas mmmmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Evans and Niklas mmmmmm
Yes please!!!!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-25-2014, 10:50 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Here is some interesting comments on our new signings by their former coaches

Quote:
So I went to some of their former coaches and asked away. Here's what I found:

Broncos coach John Fox on why CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie had a bounce-back season:
"That was his doing. I think guys when you break it down for them, and each year you do, this is your profession. What are they going to remember you for?"

"He sat next to Champ [Bailey]. Champ was a great leader for us the three years I've been here. He sat next to him. I'll give DRC that. He was smart enough to have that seat. He got better. He's a very talented player."

John Harbaugh on LB Jameel McClain:
"He came back midseason from that injury, so there is probably some transition there. By the end of the year, I think he was the same player, and he'll be even better next year, back to his old self probably. You're getting a physical player, a very physical run-stopper. You're getting a very smart player, he understands coverage schemes and you're getting a tremendous, great, high-character guy. He'll be a great mentor for the young players. He's just a top-shelf person."

Why he didn't return to Baltimore:
"It was strictly money. Jameel had a contract and -- we were hoping we could balance the books a bit -- and maybe get him back. But we had to re-sign Daryl Smith and it was a casualty of the process ... unfortunately for us."

Chiefs coach Andy Reid on OL Geoff Schwartz:
"They get a great person, first of all. Highly, highly intelligent and loves to play the game."

"He also has the biggest foot on the team. A size 18 foot. He's a big man. He can play anywhere across the board, all the spot. He was a solid player for us."

"I did play him at tackle. I played him at both tackles, both guards. He was kind of the John Havlichek there."

"We would have loved to have him back. But he got a better opportunity a better deal with the Giants. I wish him the best. I'm pulling for him."

Raiders coach Dennis Allen on RB Rashad Jennings:
"He played well for us. He played really well for us. He was a back that you'd seen a little bit in Jacksonville but you hadn't really seen a lot of. So you weren't really sure exactly what you had in him. He was a pleasant surprise. The thing I was most impressed with him was that he was a big back that ran big. I think that is important. But yet he still had the speed to break off a long explosive run."

"He had special team ability. That is where he made his first impact for us, on special teams. The more touches you gave to him, the more you got a chance to see he had good ability as a runner."

On whether he's a feature back:
"He became our feature back but there are very few nowadays. I don't think those are the days you live in now. I think you have to have more than one option at the running back position."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2..._signings.html
Old 03-25-2014, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I think Evans is definately an option if he is available at 12.

I would not be surprised if the front office rates Anthony Barr quite highly. Sure he is raw but has plenty of physical tools and can get to the QB. We could use him either as a RDE or SLB.

Barr has very good balance, lateral agility and acceleration, with long arms, excellent burst off the ball and explosive closing ability. He seems a little similar to JPP coming into the draft.

I also think at this point Barr is getting a little over-analysed. I have a gut feeling that our front office really likes him quite a bit.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 AM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Barr reminds me too much of Aaron curry, Aaron maybin. I'm very skeptical of him.

Mack is my #1 LB and Shazier my #2
Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem with Mack is the scheme fit. Also, doesn't it scare anyone that Mack played against a bunch of scrubs at Buffalo? Did he ever even go up against a quality 1st round caliber OT his entire season?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

You can say that about any player that comes from a small college BBD. Did it bother you that Osi and Ware came from Troy?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-26-2014, 07:50 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
You can say that about any player that comes from a small college BBD. Did it bother you that Osi and Ware came from Troy?
No it didn't. I didn't care with JPP either. That's a fair point.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

They do have a little more to prove but as always yo just have trust our evals on these players. Lately it's hard to do that but keep the faith.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-26-2014, 07:53 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
They do have a little more to prove but as always yo just have trust our evals on these players. Lately it's hard to do that but keep the faith.
Our evals have been pretty rock solid from rounds 1-3 even during our bad drafts.

It's round 4 where everything goes to ****. Even with last year's draft potentially being a good one (Pugh, Hank, Moore) after round 3 we laid another egg (Nassib, Taylor, Hermans all probably suck).

That's very concerning. I was in denial about it for awhile but it's true. We might need to redo the scouting department.