Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-23-2014, 09:48 AM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Yup a 4th for jackson makes a whole lot of sense because that means we can address wr in the 3rd round and go safty and cb or even o-line for our first two picks. Plus jackson is a hr threat and we could use that considering we havent had anyone like that in quit awhile
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:13 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather have Cooks in the first than DJax for a 4th and his salary.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:34 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Despite the fact that the Jets have $30M in cap space? I believe he's easy to cut too.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:38 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well he's already bitching about his current contract, and cutting him next year would cost 4M in dead money. The year after that it's easy to cut him though.

It's not that bad. I just like Cooks a lot. And there's a reason why they're getting rid of him. He's also not a very tough receiver and is kinda limited. He's older.

I'd just rather have Cooks. If it was Cooks and ******* DRC like it should have been we wouldn't have any problems.

DJax and a first-round CB makes my heart hurt. Not a bad move though, espeically if that CB is Verrett. Hmm.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:51 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The attitude/whining about money concerns I completely understand. But with their current cap I don't think the contract is a huge deal. Compensation wise with those issues and the lack of a market for him I wouldn't go higher than a 4 and I'd prefer a 5, which means based on past experience if it gets done they'll probably do it for a 3.

With the receiver heavy draft (I like Cooks a lot too, but it would be nice to get a proven commodity there and have the premium pick) and the lack of teams with the space to fit his contract, I can't see there being a huge market of teams who want to give Philly something substantial. And if Oakland steps up and offers a 3, let him go there. No issue with letting him go elsewhere, but if you can get it done for peanuts and think you can keep him in check then why not?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets won't hold any dead money unless the contract is reworked or extended by Jets.

Jets have about 29m left in cap space but after rookie salary and performance bonuses, I would say it is 20m available into the regular season.

If Texans actually cut Jonathan Joseph then Idzik should have no problem to get him since he would expect to collect 7.5m from Texans if he was on the roster. Idzik offered 6m to DRC so I can see that 6m would be the highest offer Joseph had got. Getting both Jackson and Joseph would cost Jets 17.75m. It is very doable as I would give Jets' off-season a big thumbs up.

For a giggle, if Jets actually drafted Greg Robinson in 1st and Marcus Martin in 2nd then Idzik would have no problem to dump Ferguson and Mangold and take a hit of 19m and a change as dead money.

Last edited by YotoJets007 : 03-23-2014 at 12:49 PM.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Why not both???

WR's normally take a couple of years to develop. The Jets will understand that if they take a chance on DJax, that it could be a one or two year deal because of his history with contract demands. Draft a premier WR to develop and pair with Decker.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:44 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

That's a loooooooooot of resources on WRs for a team without an accurate QB that wants to run the ball a lot.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:45 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Looks like Woody Johnson is getting a little too involved.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:08 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Looks like Woody Johnson is getting a little too involved.
Haha right? Hope it's something calculated. We'll see.

EDIT: Listening to the non-NY Media reporting on it, sounds like it'll only happen if he gets cut, but that at that point it almost certainly will. Or something like that. I don't know. If we don't draft a WR I like though I won't be pleased.

I think it's interesting how he's talking about how he doesn't want to wait anymore and wants to win now. Kind of scary. Hope he doesn't force Idzik into something he doesn't want to do (or something he already did). This also might just be him setting it up to tell Rex he has to have a playoff season this next year.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 03-23-2014 at 04:12 PM.
thetedginnshow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:08 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'm not sure Woody's smart enough to do something calculated haha.

It's an interesting situation. If the team's in win-now mode, why not make a bigger push for a corner or a guy like Byrd? Not sure Idzik and Woody are on the same page here. Though if it's sending a message to Rex I guess it's okay.

I'll be disappointed if they don't draft a WR somewhere too. Doesn't have to be in the first round, but one of the top 10-12 or so guys should end up in green even if they get Jackson to add to Decker. It's not like WR's often tear up the league upon geting drafted. And Jackson's what now, 27? Not like he's got a diverse skill set, once he loses a step he'll be done.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Had to share this from Rotoworld:

[The Eagles are interested in Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks, "with head coach Chip Kelly particularly interested in the wideout," reports Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ.com.
It's no surprise that Cooks has caught Kelly's eye, and he could become DeSean Jackson's replacement. Coming out of college, the players were the same height (5-foot-10), but Cooks is 14 pounds heavier (189 to 175) and a smidgen faster (4.33 forty to 4.35). Cooks also put up far superior numbers despite playing in only two more games (226 catches/3,272 yards/24 TDs compared to Jackson's 162/2,423/22 touchdown). ]

Wouldn't that be bitter sweet !!!
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:39 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think everyone has interest in Cooks. I know we do. Despite the combine numbers though, I don't really think he's as fast on the field as DJax, but his short-area quickness seems better (which would make him a perfect WCO fit).

Heard a rumor we are offering TB's 4th and our 5th for him, but we'll see how that all ends up.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:12 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Cimini does bring up a good point about how if Geno struggled early and we had DJax, that might cause a stir in the locker room since he loves Vick. And, of course, the whole "greatest receiver draft in a while" thing that we might be excluded from upon another big signing at the position. Cimini's been on fire lately. I wonder if he was asked to take a different side to balance out with some of the NY media.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:53 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It looks like Jets won't have a chance to pick up Johnathan Joseph or DeSean Jackson or both.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:41 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Once again, media lies to me. DeSean Jackson is now available for a contract. The fun begins now.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:41 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I'd rather have Joseph than DJax.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:48 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'd rather have Joseph than DJax.
No way to skip Jackson and wait for Joseph to be a free agent.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:02 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Very possible Joseph gets cut, but I'm not sure when he's due a roster bonus so that might not be for a while, if it happens.

Very telling if the Eagles, Chiefs, and Jets all don't want DJax. Must be a real cause for concern for what he brings to a locker room (kind of doubt the gang stuff is the issue).

I'm just glad because this all but locks us in to take a WR at some point in the first two rounds. Just hoping we make the right choice!

Anyone see about the new CB we picked up? Essentially another draft pick for us, since he's only a year removed from college having sat out last year with an injury. Don't really know how good he'll be, but he ran a 4.29 40, so that has to count for something. They're bringing in a lot of really fast, average sized corners. I wonder if that's specifically to combat a certain type of WR, or at least to be useful in a certain way in Rex's defense.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:33 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Nice signings! Ford at the very least is worth a look as a KR, and Patterson if healthy was one of the better options available at the start of FA. The key will be keeping him healthy, but now we definitely don't need to go CB early.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:23 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Signing Patterson won't prevent us from drafting CB that high. I would go to CB if there is no WR or TE available for right value in either of first 2 rounds.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I like the focus on the draft. It's how good franchises are built. The key though, is that Idzik needs to continue to draft well and the coaching staff needs to develop the young guys who are brought in.

It'll be interesting to see how last year's late round picks develop. Obviously Idzik hit a home run with Richardson and the returns on Milliner late in the season were positive. Whether or not Geno works out, it was a gamble well worth taking in the second round. Winters seemed to improve as the season went on.

If Milliner and Winters build on their late season success and one of Campbell/Aboushi develops into a starter, it's a huge draft. But if not, the big pick was Richardson and the building through the draft might not work out with all of the comp picks that Idzik's picking up if he's not going to draft player who are successful with the franchise. Obviously this draft will be huge.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Looks like CJ2K is in town.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 AM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Looks like CJ2K is in town.
Supposedly taking a physical. That might just be protocol but you have to think Johnson's agents called up Idzik trying to swing a deal after seeing the market deplete.
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Bleh. I don't like CJ, and I hope the Jets take a RB in the middle rounds. But for a short, cheap deal I guess you could take a shot and still take a RB in the draft. I hope he's not an issue in the locker room though.