Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Oakland Raiders Team Forum

Oakland Raiders Team Forum Discuss the Raiders

Old 03-21-2014, 10:54 PM    (permalink
Donno
Veteran

Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
6th for Schaub isn't bad at all, interesting to see who leaves McGloin or Pryor?
Interesting indeed. I think Schaub was picked up as an insurance policy. I think he's still got some left in the tank. I would still like to see them grab a QB but I wouldn't mind seeing them grab Mack or Clowney or Watkins.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:16 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel like everything out of Oakland is a smokescreen right now. The Raiders are being to declarative with their QB situation. Allen said he feels like Schaub can stay a long time in Oakland. And reports are that the Raiders regime really likes McGloINT as a long term backup.

It's almost TOO open. Like they want to put the Vikings at ease so they don't jump the Raiders to draft a QB.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:12 AM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully Schaub can be a decent stopgap. I wouldn't mind still taking a QB somewhere in rounds 2-4, but I was never very high on this years QB class. I wouldn't mind taking Watkins in the 1st, it's been a while since we had a legitimate #1 WR (or at least someone with that potential in Watkins case).
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:42 AM    (permalink
AJP19
Rookie

AJP19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AJP19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AJP19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AJP19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AJP19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AJP19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AJP19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AJP19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AJP19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AJP19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AJP19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bearing in mind that Mcgloin spent a lot of camp feasting on the scraps in terms of reps, can he be definitively ruled out as a starting option?
AJP19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:45 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only 1 who's feeling like Mack is our best option at 5 after Clowney and the top 3 QB's?

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Draft2014
Rookie

Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Am I the only 1 who's feeling like Mack is our best option at 5 after Clowney and the top 3 QB's?
I'd take Mack or Watkins there.
Draft2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:09 AM    (permalink
ios3fa
Rookie

ios3fa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Macks film/athleticism/potential scream 3 down, 3 tool LB capable of playing any role in the front 7 save for DT. hes the perfect piece for the hybrid defense Tarver wants to run... but who he does he send to the bench? Sio, Roach, or Burnett? & how do u put Mack, Sio, & Woodley on the field at the same time?
ios3fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:39 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mack looks like he will not only be the BPA at 5, but still give us a player that we don't have on this defense. Mack is so versatile being able to play stand up OLB, hand on the ground DE and drop into coverage. Sio Moore and Mack can complement each other very well and still learn from Lamarr Woodley, Tuck, Smith and others on the dline. The depth/talent we will have in the front 7 will be vastly improved to go with the additions made on the oline, QB and WR.

DE Woodley/Mack
DT McGee
DT Smith
DE Tuck/Crawford

SLB Moore/Mack
ILB Roach/Maiava
WLB Burnett/Burris

Tuck can play time at DT as well to give the look of Woodley, Mack and Moore all on the field together. Tarver will has a field day putting different combinations together on defense to give us a more productive unit. I hope we resign Pat Sims to give depth behind McGee at NT, we can run 3-4 looks with that type of talent:

DE Smith
NT McGee/Sims
DE Tuck/Crawford

OLB Woodley/Moore
ILB Roach/Maiava
ILB Burnett/Burris
OLB Mack/Moore

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

Last edited by RaiderNation : 03-23-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:46 PM    (permalink
ios3fa
Rookie

I think Burnett, Roach, and Woodley are the exact kind of veterans u put around rookies like Moore and Mack.

anybody else like Lamarcus Joyner tho?
Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Joyner has impact talent but not with our 2nd round pick. I want us to hopefully add a TE to further add weapons for Schaub but in the 3rd Joyner would be nice to add into the secondary as a nickle CB plus FS.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

Old 03-25-2014, 01:05 AM    (permalink
ios3fa
Rookie

If the 49ers call offering their 1st and one of their 2s.. maybe a 3 as well, how quickly Reggie accept? With 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, theyre bound to move up for an offensive difference maker like Watkins.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:31 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Rumors keep circulating that we love Derek Carr but won't take him at #5. I like the other 3 prospects much more but trading down to get more picks plus Carr isn't a bad move at all in my book.

Also the projected starting oline is now suppose to be:

LT Penn
LG Boothe
C Wiz
RG Howard
RT Watson

Of course it is still only March, but RM said yesterday he thinks Watson and Hayden will play starting roles.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 PM    (permalink
ZoneMaster67
Rookie

ZoneMaster67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Rumors keep circulating that we love Derek Carr but won't take him at #5. I like the other 3 prospects much more but trading down to get more picks plus Carr isn't a bad move at all in my book.

Also the projected starting oline is now suppose to be:

LT Penn
LG Boothe
C Wiz
RG Howard
RT Watson

Of course it is still only March, but RM said yesterday he thinks Watson and Hayden will play starting roles.
Penn I feel is best suited for the right side more so than the left(probably would make an even better guard), from the sound of things people are thinking Watson will be the LT. I like the idea of Howard as a guard, he'll benefit from playing next to Wiz, and with his size he could end up with the success Alex Boone has had from moving inside. Boothe is a very good backup for the interior three spots, but is average at best as a starter IMO.
ZoneMaster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

As long at Watson works out at either LT or RT this year we should have a much improved oline as a whole. I agree Boothe is average at best, and will likely come down to him, Barnes and Bergstrom for the final starting spot likely at LG. Rumors are Brisiel might retire...

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

Old 03-26-2014, 03:03 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From NFL.com

Reggie McKenzie was criticized when the Oakland Raiders didn't fight to retain Jared Veldheer, a talented left tackle who might have been the best player on a barren roster.

Now the Raiders' general manager has shed some light onto why the team didn't try to re-sign Veldheer, who eventually signed a multiyear deal with the Arizona Cardinals. Vic Tarfur of the Bay Area News Group asked McKenzie if the botched signing of offensive tackle Rodger Saffold was a setback that prevented the Raiders from pursuing other options in the first day of free agency.

McKenzie's answer pointed back to Veldheer.

"No," McKenzie said. "It really wasn't a setback. ... The setback was the one that got away from us. Losing Veldheer was a blow to me. He didn't want to come back. It wasn't about finances.

"The kid didn't want to play for the Raiders anymore, and I struggled with that."

McKenzie added that defensive end Lamarr Houston -- another dynamic player who fled as a free agent -- was "in the same boat" as Veldheer, though Houston "was a little more sincere about wanting to come back."

Houston told McKenzie he wanted to sign with the Chicago Bears (which he did for $35 million over five years) because they were more settled at the quarterback position.

"In the end, it's the player's decision," McKenzie said.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:44 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

My biggest question to RM would be then why didn't you franchise Veldheer for atleast another year?

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

Old 03-26-2014, 08:38 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My biggest question to RM would be then why didn't you franchise Veldheer for atleast another year?
"We don't want someone who is going to be here for just one year, we want someone who is going to be here for a while."

If it's franchise Veldheer for 1 year or sign Saffold for 5 years, RM chose Door #2.

Blech...

To me that is lose-lose.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If our good young players not wanting to re-sign here is a continuing trend, we are pretty much ******.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:26 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
"We don't want someone who is going to be here for just one year, we want someone who is going to be here for a while."

If it's franchise Veldheer for 1 year or sign Saffold for 5 years, RM chose Door #2.

Blech...

To me that is lose-lose.
I would have chose Veldheer easily, we knew we were adding improvements with our cap situation and that likely would have made him want to stay more. I like what we have done this off season especially on the oline, but Veldheer would still be the best player on our team if he were still in Oakland.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

MJD, Sims and Wilson signed today, all very solid depth additions. MJD and McFadden behind our new our oline will be crucial to us winning games. The defense should throw more 3-4 looks with McGee and sims at NT, Smith and Tuck at DE with Woodley and Moore rushing the passer. Imagine if Mack is drafted to go with this group!

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

Old 03-28-2014, 09:00 PM    (permalink
ios3fa
Rookie

With MJD & DMC together I wouldnt be too mad if we added a Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews.. we got the NFC West this year, we need to match their physicality if we gonna have a shot
Old 03-30-2014, 06:15 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

We shouldn't add another olinemen, we have plenty of talent/depth there and should instead add a playmaker on either side of the ball.

I've seen reports saying Oakland likely is the front runner to sign DeSean Jackson but he will visit the Redskins first(who don't have much cap left). DJax, JJ, Streater and Moore is something to take note of if things work out our way.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

Old 03-30-2014, 06:35 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
We shouldn't add another olinemen, we have plenty of talent/depth there and should instead add a playmaker on either side of the ball.

I've seen reports saying Oakland likely is the front runner to sign DeSean Jackson but he will visit the Redskins first(who don't have much cap left). DJax, JJ, Streater and Moore is something to take note of if things work out our way.
Disagree. The Raiders could use another BAMF at OG.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:55 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Disagree. The Raiders could use another BAMF at OG.
The plan is to have Howard at RG, and Barnes/Boothe/Bergstrom at LG. That's some solid depth and Penn and Watson are the starting LT and RT with Wiz of course at C. There are plenty of other areas we could address like a pass rusher, WR and CB.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
The plan is to have Howard at RG, and Barnes/Boothe/Bergstrom at LG. That's some solid depth and Penn and Watson are the starting LT and RT with Wiz of course at C.
And that's exactly why the Raiders need another guard. Raiders need an identity. The easiest identity is beef on the Oline. Can't afford to take chances with random depth when the Raiders clearly are trying to put emphasis on a smash mouth running game.

Address WR with DJax.
Take CB later in draft.

QB
Pass rusher
OG
CB
NT

Oldie but a goodie.