Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Buffalo Bills Team Forum

Buffalo Bills Team Forum Discuss the Bills

Old 03-13-2014, 07:21 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bills made, by most accounts, an offer with more guaranteed money, which is the big thing nowadays. It was at the very least, just as good an offer. I'm pretty sure Byrd wanted to leave.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:24 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessrussian View Post
No. But i'll meet you there with a bottle of whiskey.

The Williams signing is even worse with the fact that the giants picked up Schwartz for relatively nothing more. Makes me sick.
I prefer Jameson, unless you like more of a Bourbon, then I can do Jimmy B.

Williams 4/13.5/5.5
Schwartz 4/16.8/6.2

Sick indeed, make it two bottles...

Although I do like the Keith Rivers and Corey Graham signings announced last night, potential starter at LB and solid depth at both CB and LB regardless IMO.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:31 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Bills made, by most accounts, an offer with more guaranteed money, which is the big thing nowadays. It was at the very least, just as good an offer. I'm pretty sure Byrd wanted to leave.
I think it may have been in reality as good if not close, although the Saints offer I would imagine from what I have heard, looks like more money, but is inflated with money he'll never see in the back end. It will be interesting when the details are released to see if his Saints contract is proped up with "fake" money to make the deal look better than it is. Maybe he got more money, until the Bills offer is known, I'll just keep on speculating.

Regardless, I think your right, especially on Byrd wanted to leave.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think from what they said on NFL.com, that he got 1 million a year more than what the Bills offered. They said it was all about money for Byrd, he would have stayed in Buffalo if they had met his demands, but Wilson chose not to. A 9 million+ a year, he is getting more than a franchise tag price which is only 8.433 million, making him probably the highest paid Safety in the NFL.

IMO, Williams might turnout to be a decent pickup, sometimes schemes don't suit every player and maybe he'll fit in better here. Cannot hurt aqnd he was likely cheap.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I think from what they said on NFL.com, that he got 1 million a year more than what the Bills offered. They said it was all about money for Byrd, he would have stayed in Buffalo if they had met his demands, but Wilson chose not to. A 9 million+ a year, he is getting more than a franchise tag price which is only 8.433 million, making him probably the highest paid Safety in the NFL.

IMO, Williams might turnout to be a decent pickup, sometimes schemes don't suit every player and maybe he'll fit in better here. Cannot hurt aqnd he was likely cheap.
They also said the contract is back loaded, really a 3 year deal, and there is a alot of money he'll never see. The truth to it all I dont know, just going off what I hear, but they also (nfl network talking heads) said that the Saints will have to release him after 3 years or restructure his contract then as it is back loaded.

Buffalo offered more gauranted money according to them and about everyone else as well, over the same 3 year period. The salary perameters IDK.

Byrd's own comments since signing with NOLA, and what I am hearing about contract details, lead me to believe he wanted to leave, Buffalo knew he wanted to leave, offered him a comparible contract with more gauranteed money (NOLA's contract "looks" like 9 million a year on average, but the fine print might not be structured that way), to entice him to stay and he left. Which I think he wanted the whole time. IMO.

As for his demands, he apparently demanded 28 million, but turned down 30??

Im using the 3 year length as a basis here, per the talking heads.
Gauranteed $$:
Buffalo - $10,000,000 a year + Salary
NOLA - $9,333,333 a year + Salary

Without knowing Buffalo's true offer (which we'll likely never know), going off what the talking heads have said. Buffalo offered more real money, and like the "100 Million dollar/6 year/40 million dollar bonus" contract Vick signed in 2011, I think NOLA's offer looks better on paper, but in reality its not as good as the 9+ a year looks or really averages over the "6 years".

Wilson might not have met his "on paper/9 million plus a year", demand, but he certainly it would appear met his "real money" demand.

Williams could certainly work out here, his name sake certainly would lead one to think guys named "Williams" seem to work out recently, circa post Mike "Willimas"...
I just dont know how he has never really IMO improved since being drafted, not even been attempted to be retained by either the Rams or Bears, despite both teams needing help along the oline, and its not like Fisher and Marrone's shemes are all that different as I see it.They didnt break the bank for him, but I didnt hear anyone say they were bidding against anyone other than themselves...
Old 03-14-2014, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poz51 View Post
They also said the contract is back loaded, really a 3 year deal, and there is a alot of money he'll never see. The truth to it all I dont know, just going off what I hear, but they also (nfl network talking heads) said that the Saints will have to release him after 3 years or restructure his contract then as it is back loaded.

Buffalo offered more gauranted money according to them and about everyone else as well, over the same 3 year period. The salary perameters IDK.

Byrd's own comments since signing with NOLA, and what I am hearing about contract details, lead me to believe he wanted to leave, Buffalo knew he wanted to leave, offered him a comparible contract with more gauranteed money (NOLA's contract "looks" like 9 million a year on average, but the fine print might not be structured that way), to entice him to stay and he left. Which I think he wanted the whole time. IMO.

As for his demands, he apparently demanded 28 million, but turned down 30??

Im using the 3 year length as a basis here, per the talking heads.
Gauranteed $$:
Buffalo - $10,000,000 a year + Salary
NOLA - $9,333,333 a year + Salary

Without knowing Buffalo's true offer (which we'll likely never know), going off what the talking heads have said. Buffalo offered more real money, and like the "100 Million dollar/6 year/40 million dollar bonus" contract Vick signed in 2011, I think NOLA's offer looks better on paper, but in reality its not as good as the 9+ a year looks or really averages over the "6 years".

Wilson might not have met his "on paper/9 million plus a year", demand, but he certainly it would appear met his "real money" demand.

Williams could certainly work out here, his name sake certainly would lead one to think guys named "Williams" seem to work out recently, circa post Mike "Willimas"...
I just dont know how he has never really IMO improved since being drafted, not even been attempted to be retained by either the Rams or Bears, despite both teams needing help along the oline, and its not like Fisher and Marrone's shemes are all that different as I see it.They didnt break the bank for him, but I didnt hear anyone say they were bidding against anyone other than themselves...
I'm not going to argue about what eventually was the better deal, it is the pattern that worries me, Clemons, Whitfield, Peters, Whitner, Lynch, Poz and Byrd etc. You cannot deny that we have lost a lot of star players to FA/trades, who went on to have solid to great careers for other teams, it's just too common a trend not to think financials are a serious problem for Buffalo. In a way, you cannot put all the blame on Wilson, money talks and our revenue base limits that and puts Wilson between a rock and a hard place. However, the revenue base in Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Minnesota, Indy, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Kansas City, Oakland and I believe San Diego, is pretty well even and ownership and the management team have to be excellent to remain competitive. I just think Wilson's overall performance has not been up to snuff and things can only get better when we have a new owner.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:01 AM    (permalink
ruthlessrussian
Rookie

ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.

I hear you Iam. Though I feel that is just the way the NFL is now. Dallas brings in twice the money Buffalo does yet you can hardly say they have been more successful over the last 15 years. I know you bring up the fact that we have to draft to replace lost veterans. This is true. However most teams do this too. New England, for example, is very cold blooded and has cut many of their stars over the years. They just replace their talent better. Lawyer Milloy is cut, they get Rodney Harrison.. or Brandon Merriweather. You know? Vince Wilfork is the next to go. Teams have to adapt and balance. The Bills just haven't been able to do it recently. Maybe i'm wrong but this is what I see.

As far as Byrd goes.. 9 million dollars for a safety is absurd. If we had a cheaper defensive line than yeah you pay up. But the money is invested there and we have to balance around that. 54 million is not balancing. Bringing in Rivers, James, and Spikes is. (By the way Poz, because of these last 3 i'm gonna shelve the whiskey for when we make it to the superbowl.)
Old 03-16-2014, 07:34 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Enjoy Spikes guys. He was one of my favorite players in NE. Just come in with the expectation that he will contribute <0% in the passing game. He's the best box run defense linebacker in football.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:04 AM    (permalink
ruthlessrussian
Rookie

ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.ruthlessrussian is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Enjoy Spikes guys. He was one of my favorite players in NE. Just come in with the expectation that he will contribute <0% in the passing game. He's the best box run defense linebacker in football.
We'll take it for sure.

EDIT: and by James I meant Corey Graham. No clue where I got James.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I hear you Iam. Though I feel that is just the way the NFL is now. Dallas brings in twice the money Buffalo does yet you can hardly say they have been more successful over the last 15 years. I know you bring up the fact that we have to draft to replace lost veterans. This is true. However most teams do this too. New England, for example, is very cold blooded and has cut many of their stars over the years. They just replace their talent better. Lawyer Milloy is cut, they get Rodney Harrison.. or Brandon Merriweather. You know? Vince Wilfork is the next to go. Teams have to adapt and balance. The Bills just haven't been able to do it recently. Maybe i'm wrong but this is what I see.

As far as Byrd goes.. 9 million dollars for a safety is absurd. If we had a cheaper defensive line than yeah you pay up. But the money is invested there and we have to balance around that. 54 million is not balancing. Bringing in Rivers, James, and Spikes is. (By the way Poz, because of these last 3 i'm gonna shelve the whiskey for when we make it to the superbowl.)
I cannot resist repeating myself, you need a solid owner who hires a solid management team to be competitive, that holds for rich teams as well and Jerry Jones has proven in the last 18 years that he is hardly that.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sad time to be a Bills fan, gents. RIP Ralph. Get well, Jim.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Smokey
Veteran

Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rest in Peace

Here's to one of the old guard!
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Well, he lived a long life and I'm sad he passed, but as a Bills fan, we need new blood at ownership pretty badly, let's hope our new owner gets this franchise out of the morbid stage and into being competitive. I'm tired of losing.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:50 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, he lived a long life and I'm sad he passed, but as a Bills fan, we need new blood at ownership pretty badly, let's hope our new owner gets this franchise out of the morbid stage and into being competitive. I'm tired of losing.
So Ralph dies today and that's how you respond...First of all, I was never sure which team your allegiances actually lies with. The Browns, the Lions, hell, even our Bills, I've seen you claim each on more than one occasion. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying. ****, I'd love to see the Bills win again. The timing of it all is egregiously insensitive...

I'm looking at things pessimistically here, but do all of you realize how utterly ****** we are? With Jim Kelly's cancer in recurrence and Ralph Wilson passed, we are suddenly thrust into a state of ambiguity as far as ownership and future franchise security. There is no plan of succession. Despite Jim's promises to keep the Bills in Buffalo, he could only do so much without a group lined up to take control, and that said, he must be focused on his own health. Russ Brandon can only do so much at this point and in the future. There's little money in Western New York, and what's around in the area comes from across the border. Not to mention, despite being a Western New York native himself, we have a mecha-commissioner who'll seemingly work to no end to proliferate the small market in the NFL.

Ralph Wilson was the penultimate force behind keeping professional football in Buffalo. As an aging owner, he was an easy scapegoat for our losing tradition. But 54 years ago, Ralph was the first to "Billieve", and he led the charge every year. May a great man rest easy tonight and forever...

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:21 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Look, I'm 70 years old and was brought up in Toronto and lived there till I was 48. I was originally a die hard Cleveland fan because the only NFL team on our TV back then, was the Browns and I was privileged to watch every game Jimmy Brown ever played. There was no Buffalo franchise back then.

When Buffalo came into the league, the Browns went off our TV and was replaced by Buffalo in its hey days, so I became a fan of both teams. I currently live a short distance from Detroit since I moved here at 49 and slowly added Detroit to my favourite teams list, sorry if that doesn't meet with your approval. I can tell you, nobody would choose 3 modern day rotten franchises to be their favourite teams, unless they truly loved them.

I see, you can complain about the state of the franchise after Wilson's death but I can't. He lived to be 95, that's a pretty full life to me, but our record since FA came into being, just happens to be the worst in the NFL and I'm tired of it and want something better for the Bills.

I don't see where the NFL has it in for low revenue cities, the only recent franchise moves have been, Houston to Tennessee, The Rams from L.A. to St. Louis and Oakland back and forth between L.A. and Oakland. Houston is a bigger market than Tennessee, L.A. is a far bigger market than St. Louis and Oakland is a much smaller market than L.A., so I'm nor seeing any negative pattern that could effect Buffalo.

Our ownership is up for grabs but that doesn't necessarily spell the end for Buffalo, it could turnout to be a very positive transition, it cannot get any worse. Maybe our new glory years are just around the corner.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:10 AM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Look, I'm 70 years old and was brought up in Toronto and lived there till I was 48. I was originally a die hard Cleveland fan because the only NFL team on our TV back then, was the Browns and I was privileged to watch every game Jimmy Brown ever played. There was no Buffalo franchise back then.

When Buffalo came into the league, the Browns went off our TV and was replaced by Buffalo in its hey days, so I became a fan of both teams. I currently live a short distance from Detroit since I moved here at 49 and slowly added Detroit to my favourite teams list, sorry if that doesn't meet with your approval. I can tell you, nobody would choose 3 modern day rotten franchises to be their favourite teams, unless they truly loved them.

I see, you can complain about the state of the franchise after Wilson's death but I can't. He lived to be 95, that's a pretty full life to me, but our record since FA came into being, just happens to be the worst in the NFL and I'm tired of it and want something better for the Bills.

I don't see where the NFL has it in for low revenue cities, the only recent franchise moves have been, Houston to Tennessee, The Rams from L.A. to St. Louis and Oakland back and forth between L.A. and Oakland. Houston is a bigger market than Tennessee, L.A. is a far bigger market than St. Louis and Oakland is a much smaller market than L.A., so I'm nor seeing any negative pattern that could effect Buffalo.

Our ownership is up for grabs but that doesn't necessarily spell the end for Buffalo, it could turnout to be a very positive transition, it cannot get any worse. Maybe our new glory years are just around the corner.
First off, I'd like to apologize for insulting your fandom. I just find it hard that someone, in a league like the NFL, or any sport for that matter, can be affiliated with not one, but three teams.

Secondly, how can you say that small market teams aren't at risk? The Rams, Raiders and Titans moves all came in the 1990s. Its 2014, there's a new commissioner and its a brand new league at this point. Goodell has repeatedly sought to bring an NFL team to multiple large market towns, including Los Angeles, to which he had "promised" a franchise in 2010. The Bills have always been named as a "threatened" franchise when league analysts speculate about Los Angeles. Couple that with the Toronto Series, which, constructed by the NFL, has taken one home game a year away from Buffalo since 2008. Thankfully, the Toronto Series has turned out to be a major failure, resulting in a declining attendance since 2008 and a 1-5 record for the Bills. As much as I love the city of Toronto, the market is too diverse to support the Bills. Even watching the Toronto games on TV was an embarrassment, as the Bills lost home field advantage being surrounded by fans, in a climate controlled, domed stadium, wearing the colors of every single NFL team. The lease at the Ralph is set to expire in 2023, with a buyout in 2020. Hopefully that's enough to keep the Bills in town until then...

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post
First off, I'd like to apologize for insulting your fandom. I just find it hard that someone, in a league like the NFL, or any sport for that matter, can be affiliated with not one, but three teams.

Secondly, how can you say that small market teams aren't at risk? The Rams, Raiders and Titans moves all came in the 1990s. Its 2014, there's a new commissioner and its a brand new league at this point. Goodell has repeatedly sought to bring an NFL team to multiple large market towns, including Los Angeles, to which he had "promised" a franchise in 2010. The Bills have always been named as a "threatened" franchise when league analysts speculate about Los Angeles. Couple that with the Toronto Series, which, constructed by the NFL, has taken one home game a year away from Buffalo since 2008. Thankfully, the Toronto Series has turned out to be a major failure, resulting in a declining attendance since 2008 and a 1-5 record for the Bills. As much as I love the city of Toronto, the market is too diverse to support the Bills. Even watching the Toronto games on TV was an embarrassment, as the Bills lost home field advantage being surrounded by fans, in a climate controlled, domed stadium, wearing the colors of every single NFL team. The lease at the Ralph is set to expire in 2023, with a buyout in 2020. Hopefully that's enough to keep the Bills in town until then...
Well, when your as old as me and have seen the NFL grow from practically nothing into what it is today, a lot can simply happen to change your loyalties. If Buffalo had been there from the beginning, I would probably be strictly a Buffalo fan all the way, but when you can no longer get their games on local TV, it's hard to remain loyal to just one team, Cleveland went off Toronto's TV completely after Buffalo came into being, so I had to watch Buffalo every Sunday, so I think it was a natural progression to become a Buffalo fan, although I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Cleveland. As I said, I live close to Detroit now and get to watch all their games, so after a while, I added them to the teams I love. Basically, all the franchises I love, have absolutely stunk for at least a decade if not longer, but I have stuck by them nevertheless. Oh yeah, I'm still strictly a Toronto fan in Baseball, Basketball and Hockey because I began with them right from my youth and was born and raised in Toronto.

Well, I wouldn't rule out a Buffalo move as you suggested, a new ownership always carries some risk, especially if they cannot find rich local people to be owners. As for LA, I think every Commish would want a team in the television market that is LA's, in a league that depends on TV money to survive.. It is an embarrassment to the league not to have a team there.

I disagree about Toronto, it would support its own franchise, just wasn't interested in a one game deal. It is also one of the largest TV markets in North America, which of course, interests the NFL. Toronto just spent 110 million dollars to improve its soccer franchise, so it is an attractive market.

If they came to Toronto from where I'm from, I guess I wouldn't be as sad as a Buffalo resident would be, after all a lot of Toronto fans travel to home games in Buffalo, I certainly did, and at least Buffalo fans, could come to Toronto to see a game. Still, I'd like the team to be successful in Buffalo if it is possible, will require a solid owner hiring a solid management team for that to ever happen.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 03-26-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:12 PM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is one of the saddest things that I have seen recently.

Tough times for you Bills fans
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:21 AM    (permalink
ruthlessrussian
Rookie

Being a Bills fan is tough right now with Ralph's passing, Jim's fight with cancer, and all the talk of moving the team. I think most of all, for me personally, seeing the pic The_Dude posted hit me the hardest. My dad just over a year ago finished chemo. It was a hard time in our lives but he fought it and pulled through. I talked with him about his experiences during and after the treatment. He told me what kept him going is having his family around and his general passion for life; "there is still so much more I want to do" he said. I see this when I read about Jim's progress. How he still has so much love for the Bills organization and it's pursuit of a Superbowl. Reading articles about his desire to still pursue ownership of the team is amazing. As a fan for the last 25 years I have never been more proud than right now to support them. Seeing so many people fight to keep the team in Western New York really is inspiring. I feel there is no better time than right now to make a run at the Superbowl. The beginning of this run starts in less than two weeks!

With that said, let's talk about the draft.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:24 AM    (permalink
ruthlessrussian
Rookie

Now that predraft visits are just about done, it is interesting to see who came and how that will relate to draft day.

With our first four picks last year only EJ Manuel had made a predraft visit to ODB. Though each of the next three picks were of positions we heavily scouted. Lastly both Stephon Gilmore and Cordy Glenn had visited the Bills. With that said it would be safe to assume that we will take one of our visitors with our first pick.

If this is true and we stay put at 9 the pick would most likely be one of these gentlemen:

Sammy Watkins
Mike Evans
Jake Matthews
Eric Ebron

Nothing new here. I think most people would be satisfied with any one of the four. It really would be hard to argue against the pick and what the player would add to the team. However, there remains a real possibility that all four players will be gone by pick 9. Unless we trade up (which has been rumored), who would we go with? Here is a list of the second tier players:

Odell Beckham Jr.
Zack Martin
CJ Mosely
Ryan Shazier
Kyle Fuller
Cyrus Kouandijo

Of these players Zack Martin would probably be the best and fills the biggest need. Interesting to note that we didn't bring in Taylor Lewan. I think it really goes to show the character concerns that he has. A quick google search and you will find some pretty disturbing claims made against him while at UM. Frankly, i'm glad he appears to be out of the question. Both LBs could be used right away at times and take over for Spikes after next year, though I feel we could draft one of the two of them in the second round. Beckham Jr.'s stock has been rising but with the addition of Mike Williams I feel we will look else where. Fuller is also too much of a reach for my taste but the Bills seem to have a interest in him. Lastly is Kouandijo. He is the most intriguing to me out of this group. I specifically remember reading somewhere that a Bills scout said he wasn't a first round talent because of injury concerns and appearing sluggish during workouts. Yet here he is coming into ODB. Could it be subterfuge on the part of the Bills? Maybe. Will they draft him at 9? I hope not. But if they do and he plays anywhere near as good his Alabama teammate DJ Fluker did last year than I am down.

A combination of either Watkins, Evans, or Ebron paired with Kouandijo in the second round would be quite the haul for the Bills.

If Jake Matthews is taken I think the second pick will be ASJ or Niklas. Though I would love to see Mosely or Shazier personally.

Lastly, if Gabe Jackson is there in the third and we pass on him I am going to punch my tv. The guy is going to make one hell of a right guard and we would be fools to pass on him at that point.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

I'm basing my estimation on 3 QB's going top 8 plus Watkins, Clowney, Mack, Robinson and Evans.

Leaving Matthews Barr, Lewan, Gilbert and Evron as value at #9..

To tell you the truth, everyone of those prospects have great potential, but I'd take Matthews, he has HoF potential IMO and our OL would go from a huge weakness to an absolute strength, but in all honestly, I could live with any of them. I don't see anyway we come out of this draft without a stud and if we go WR in round 2, our offense will have enough in place that if Manual develops, we could compete. However, unfortunately, I'm not even remotely sold on Manual.

As for Gabe Jackson, I'm not a fan. He will be there in round 3, maybe even round 4, simply because he has never gotten himself into playing shape and those types often eat themselves out of the NFL. Great wasted talent, because he could be a star if he ever committed to actually getting into shape.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 04-28-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Now that predraft visits are just about done, it is interesting to see who came and how that will relate to draft day.

With our first four picks last year only EJ Manuel had made a predraft visit to ODB. Though each of the next three picks were of positions we heavily scouted. Lastly both Stephon Gilmore and Cordy Glenn had visited the Bills. With that said it would be safe to assume that we will take one of our visitors with our first pick.

If this is true and we stay put at 9 the pick would most likely be one of these gentlemen:

Sammy Watkins
Mike Evans
Jake Matthews
Eric Ebron

Nothing new here. I think most people would be satisfied with any one of the four. It really would be hard to argue against the pick and what the player would add to the team. However, there remains a real possibility that all four players will be gone by pick 9. Unless we trade up (which has been rumored), who would we go with? Here is a list of the second tier players:

Odell Beckham Jr.
Zack Martin
CJ Mosely
Ryan Shazier
Kyle Fuller
Cyrus Kouandijo

Of these players Zack Martin would probably be the best and fills the biggest need. Interesting to note that we didn't bring in Taylor Lewan. I think it really goes to show the character concerns that he has. A quick google search and you will find some pretty disturbing claims made against him while at UM. Frankly, i'm glad he appears to be out of the question. Both LBs could be used right away at times and take over for Spikes after next year, though I feel we could draft one of the two of them in the second round. Beckham Jr.'s stock has been rising but with the addition of Mike Williams I feel we will look else where. Fuller is also too much of a reach for my taste but the Bills seem to have a interest in him. Lastly is Kouandijo. He is the most intriguing to me out of this group. I specifically remember reading somewhere that a Bills scout said he wasn't a first round talent because of injury concerns and appearing sluggish during workouts. Yet here he is coming into ODB. Could it be subterfuge on the part of the Bills? Maybe. Will they draft him at 9? I hope not. But if they do and he plays anywhere near as good his Alabama teammate DJ Fluker did last year than I am down.

A combination of either Watkins, Evans, or Ebron paired with Kouandijo in the second round would be quite the haul for the Bills.

If Jake Matthews is taken I think the second pick will be ASJ or Niklas. Though I would love to see Mosely or Shazier personally.

Lastly, if Gabe Jackson is there in the third and we pass on him I am going to punch my tv. The guy is going to make one hell of a right guard and we would be fools to pass on him at that point.
Two good articles IMO off the Bills website and WGR:
1 - http://www.wgr550.com/two-bills-drive/18888097
2 - http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...a-c7894aa3b9ff

I was going to post today some pre-draft thoughts and these articles, glad to see someone else is thinking along these lines.

1st;
Thoughts; Similar to you russian, my thoughts on the Bills being a fan and seeing the support has been inspiring, I hope the Bills are a part of WNY for the long haul, Jimbo (The Dude's pic was heart wrenching) gets better and the draft in two weeks is the building block for future success. Sorry to hear about your father, tough times for everyone, I am glad to hear he is still with your family.

Football;
Both articles re-inforced many of my thoughts;
1 - The trade for M. Williams will not stop them from taking a WR with the 9th pick, if Evans or Watkins is there at 9 and is the BPA they will be a Bill if Matthews and Robinson are off the board. Add in S. Johnson's cap #s vs. Production does not match up and he is a cap casualty within a year. M. Williams was traded for a 6th Rounder, brought in on a cheap one year trial then can be cut with minimal loss cap wise, what is a temperary "strength" can be a long term weakness still. Graham has proved nothing, Woods is hear to stay and is Goodwin, these two are the only long term WR's on the roster. M. Evans is in play at 9, no doubt in my mind.
2 - RT while historically being undervalued, is in the process of changing and becoming more valuable, and the Bills are on the curve thought wise or ahead of it. RT is becoming more valuable than most people I have seen thought, defenses attack from eveywhere now and LT is not the primary pass protection side any more. Matthews at 9 comes in at RT and starts, the Glenn to RT crap has no merit or basis, they may plan on doing so, but have given no indication. Glenn is an ascending LT, and the future contract situation of moving him to RT could be a nightmare, why? bother??? More snaps than any offensive player in the league last year, yet 1.5 sacks allowed...
3 - Drafting a FS at 9 is slim to none, there are 9 better players in the draft than Dix, Pryor or whomever. I dont think they are remotely thinking FS at 9. .1% chance IMO, their board would have to be decemated, completely for it to be a thought.

1st Pick IMO will be one of the following:
Order of preference for Buffalo:
1 - Watkins (Gone by 9)
2 - Matthews (The sprint to the podium if he's on the board, slim chance he's there)
3 - Evans (Gone by 9)
4 - Ebron (I think will be the only one available)

Dark horses:
5 - Barr then Mosley (Barr is every bit the player coming out that D. Ware was, and Mosley could start at SAM on 1st and 2nd Down and play with Kiko in Nickel.)

I would be shocked baring a trade if one of those 6 players is not the pick at 9.

2nd Tier, all if they trade down:
Odell Beckham Jr.
Zack Martin
Ryan Shazier
Kyle Fuller
Cyrus Kouandijo

I could not agree more on your thoughts russian aside from adding Mosley and Barr into the #9 mix. Very well said.

I do think they will add a QB in the first 4/5 rounds (likely 4 or 5) to give them some competition with EJ and Thad. If Bortles is there at 9 I would think they think about taking him (In fact I would, I have him as #9 prospect overall), that is me though, interesting to see if Houston takes Clowney at 1, then Buffalo and Houston work out a trade if Bortles is there at 9. Sliiiiiiim possibility but, I could see Houston holding onto Clowney then working out a trade w/someone later in the draft more than trading for 1 then seeing what falls to them where ever they would trade down.

I like your player pick combinations, I personally would love to see Matthews then a trade up for Mosley or Shazier myself, the nickel/subpackage defensive personnel would be obsurd at LB with Kiko, and future would be bright as well with all LB/scheme personel/package combinations. Mosley would be my choice, although I have Shazier rated higher (WILL IMO, which Kiko is manning currently).

I am also a big Jackson supporter and with NFL coaching is a phone both mauler at the next level, I have been comparing him to Larry Warford for long time and would love to see him in Buffalo, although I think he is prime for INDY at the end of the 2nd round, he is a perfect scheme fit for them IMO. I would love to see him to Buffalo in the 3rd Round. Diet (Ive worked at Bills camp before, and if an NFL diet program can keep Sam Adams in NFL shape/weight, it can do the same for Jackson) can me managed, and his power and athleticism, in addition to his physical dimensions is hard to overlook. He has all the ability to open up run lanes and keep a QB's feet clean in pass pro.

Last edited by Poz51 : 04-28-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Poz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

The franchise is about to be sold, so it is likely in limbo as far as spending money is concerned. Franchises that are about to be sold often gut the team so the new owner isn't stuck with players and salary he doesn't want.

I'm not saying that will be the case with the Bills, but I don't expect them to take on extra high picks in this year's draft unless the franchise changes hands before the draft. I expect, they will be pretty passive and be on a fairly tight budget, because the old owner won't want to put one extra cent of their own money into the franchise they are about to sell.

I'm hoping the new owner will have deep pockets, but until he actually owns the team, I really see no way we will be in a position to take on salary.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The franchise is about to be sold, so it is likely in limbo as far as spending money is concerned. Franchises that are about to be sold often gut the team so the new owner isn't stuck with players and salary he doesn't want.

I'm not saying that will be the case with the Bills, but I don't expect them to take on extra high picks in this year's draft unless the franchise changes hands before the draft. I expect, they will be pretty passive and be on a fairly tight budget, because the old owner won't want to put one extra cent of their own money into the franchise they are about to sell.

I'm hoping the new owner will have deep pockets, but until he actually owns the team, I really see no way we will be in a position to take on salary.
I honestly think the new owner would want the best players on his team to win, gutting the team and getting a loser, would not be good for business. I don't think that has any bearing on the draft regardless, these guys can't be concerned with future owners, they still have a reputation to build. Who would care what a future owner wants?

Rumors abound that Buffalo is the most active team in the top ten trying to move up. I don't think the current ownership situation has much bearing on the draft, the league usually is actively involved in this type of stuff, and I have heard nothing along the lines you are indicating. The team should have enough shared revenue to cover any draft related personnel moves.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:12 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poz51 View Post
I honestly think the new owner would want the best players on his team to win, gutting the team and getting a loser, would not be good for business. I don't think that has any bearing on the draft regardless, these guys can't be concerned with future owners, they still have a reputation to build. Who would care what a future owner wants?

Rumors abound that Buffalo is the most active team in the top ten trying to move up. I don't think the current ownership situation has much bearing on the draft, the league usually is actively involved in this type of stuff, and I have heard nothing along the lines you are indicating. The team should have enough shared revenue to cover any draft related personnel moves.
Rumors this time of the year are usually total junk. With a new owner on the horizon, the team's budget will be very tight. The GM may not care about money, but the owner selling will. I've seen enough teams sold to know the marching orders for GM's.

I'm not saying they will gut the team, but unfortunately it is a possibility, but I've never see a change in ownership where the finances don't get frozen to some degree. The old owner won't want to make any financial decisions about the future of the team, they will leave that up to the new owner.

The Byrd decisions could have come down to something like that and how active were we in FA.

We just have to accept the fact that when a team changes owners, it can be a messy time, but we all hope the long term situation will greatly improve our team's future.