Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think one position the Patriots should address in free agency is the tight end position. I'm not a huge fan of the tight ends in this year's class as first-round prospects outside of Ebron, who won't be available when New England picks. Selecting someone like Jace Amaro, Troy Niklas, or Austin Seferian-Jenkins seems like a reach unless the team can trade down about twenty picks. However, I think the team could find a reliable receiving option for fairly cheap given the availability of guys like Scott Chandler, Dallas Clark, Fred Davis, Jermichael Finley, Garrett Graham, Dustin Keller, Anthony McCoy, Brandon Myers, Brandon Pettigrew, Tony Scheffler, Kellen Winslow, etc. at the position.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
If somehow Teddy Bridgewater fell to us at 29, Would you be upset if the Patriots drafted him and put him behind Brady for a few years?
It doesn't make sense to draft a quarterback this year, especially in the first round. Brady's got four years left on his deal, and Mallett one. Carrying three quarterbacks is a waste, and a rookie we'd draft would be on a four-year deal, meaning their contract would expire at the same time as Brady's would. Even if Brady fell off in the fourth season, you'd need to decide whether or not to give the draft pick a new contract to be your starting quarterback without seeing whether or not they could play first.

Next year makes more sense, as Mallett probably won't be back and a rookie would have an additional year on their contract compared to Brady's. That way, you can develop them for three years and if Brady needs to be replaced, you have the drafted player on a rookie contract for one more year, essentially allowing you to assess their viability as a starter before extending them. It would also be a mistake to come out of the first round without someone who could potentially contribute to a championship team during Brady's deal.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:00 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I think one position the Patriots should address in free agency is the tight end position. I'm not a huge fan of the tight ends in this year's class as first-round prospects outside of Ebron, who won't be available when New England picks. Selecting someone like Jace Amaro, Troy Niklas, or Austin Seferian-Jenkins seems like a reach unless the team can trade down about twenty picks. However, I think the team could find a reliable receiving option for fairly cheap given the availability of guys like Scott Chandler, Dallas Clark, Fred Davis, Jermichael Finley, Garrett Graham, Dustin Keller, Anthony McCoy, Brandon Myers, Brandon Pettigrew, Tony Scheffler, Kellen Winslow, etc. at the position.
I'm warming to Dustin Keller, he had some decent years despite spending his prime years in the Sanchez disaster. In fact Sanchez's QB rating was about 15 points higher than average when throwing to Dustin Keller than the rest of his targets. Considering he's coming off a 1 year deal and an injury he'll probably be able to be had on a cheap 1 year deal. Plus he adds a dimension to our team we don't already have.

The rest of them besides a couple are all going to get that awkward multi-year veteran contract that we need to avoid like the plague.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 03-08-2014 at 09:49 AM.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:08 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I'm warming to Dustin Keller, he had some decent years despite spending his prime years in the Sanchez disaster. In fact Sanchez's QB rating was about 15 points higher than average when throwing to Dustin Keller than the rest of his targets. Considering he's coming off a 1 year deal and an injury he'll probably be able to be had on a cheap 1 year deal. Plus he adds a dimension to our team we don't already have.

The rest of them besides a couple are all going to get that awkward multi-year veteran contract that we need to avoid like the plague.
Fred Davis is a classic 'prove it' contract guy. I'd like to see him here on that deal. McCoy is a guy I'd like to see b/c I feel like he was a breakout candidate in a TE-killer offense. I can't see him costing much, tbh, so I'd be fine with him, too. Those two and Keller all look like classic NE targets with low cost, high upside value.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Keller would be a good get in FA.

If Talib is gone obviously CB becomes the biggest need.

I would give Antonio Cromartie or Peanut Tillman a 1 year deal and draft a CB like Roby/Verrett/Fuller in round 1
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami

Last edited by RWills : 03-10-2014 at 08:22 AM.
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:31 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I agree that we need to attack FA but I am not sure I agree on the value of the TEs in this draft. Ebron as you mentioned will be gone, although in saying that he has some big weaknesses in his game. High ceiling/low floor kind of player to me.

Amaro I think fits right in around that 25-35 range. Offers a lot of flexibility out of the slot.

ASJ is a guy who is now a second rounder but could be a steal. The most physically impressive TE in the draft but didn't show the necessary explosion last year. Dropping some weight should help him.

Niklas is a guy I find it hard to put a true value on. He blocks like a tackle and can do some damage in the passing game. I think he is definitely a poor man's Gronk and may be a bit redundant in our scheme, although I can see an argument for having both guys and playing some power football. Although, for that to work we need another outside threat because we can't get by with small slot guys if we are playing 12 formation consistently.

All in all I wouldn't be upset if they took a TE at 29. I am not a big fan of the TEs in FA. Scott Chandler is someone I think they could kick the tyres on because BB has a history of getting guys who have had success against the Patriots in the past. But let's look at it for a moment. Chandler had good games against NE but when he did well he was often covered by Spikes. He isn't a move TE and all he does well to me is get down the seam.

Keller is coming back from the knee and you don't know what his lateral agility will be. I think looking at his skillset he would be top of my list but I would preach caution with him.

Not interested in either Davis or Finley for what appear to me to be obvious reasons.

Winslow didn't work out already and Dallas Clark really doesn't have much of anything left. Graham or Myers could be 2 guys I would look at if the money is right, but I don't think it's a great group to be honest

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:46 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just a heads up here are some names the Pats have worked out. 2 ASU players I wonder if the hiden meaning is Will Sutton who looks like has fallen to day 3 consideration

QB - Kenny Guiton - Ohio State
QB - Conor Shaw - South Carolina
RB - Marice Grice - Arizona State
WR - Robert Herron - Wyoming
WR - Bruce Ellington - South Carolina
LB - Jordan Tripp - Montana
LB - Brooky Coyle - Montana
CB - Shaq Richardson - Arizona
FS - Alden Derby - Arizona State

Last edited by RWills : 03-18-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm starting to think more and more the Pats will look at 2 defensive guys hard in the first and then look at the offensive depth in the next rounds.

Ryan Shazier and Jimmie Ward are the 2 guys I think they will love. The emergence of Collins and the fact they tried to sign Woodyard lead me to think BB wants to get more athletic at LB and Shazier's numbers are pretty similar to Collins' from an athletic standpoint.

Ward could be the finishing touch to what could be an awesome secondary.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:14 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
Just a heads up here are some names the Pats have worked out. 2 ASU players I wonder if the hiden meaning is Will Sutton who looks like has fallen to day 3 consideration

QB - Kenny Guiton - Ohio State
QB - Conor Shaw - South Carolina
RB - Marice Grice - Arizona State
WR - Robert Herron - Wyoming
WR - Bruce Ellington - South Carolina
LB - Jordan Tripp - Montana
LB - Brooky Coyle - Montana
CB - Shaq Richardson - Arizona
FS - Alden Derby - Arizona State
add

FB - Nikita Whitlock - Wake Forest
WR - Jeremy Gallon - Michigan
WR - Kevin Norwood - Alabama
DE - Dee Ford - Auburn
Old 03-25-2014, 05:51 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Pats don't do as much smoke and mirrors as they used to. Very few hidden meanings behind the guys they workout lately.

Last edited by nepg : 03-25-2014 at 05:56 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dee Ford plz

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:41 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So apparently Belichick was present for New England's private workout for Kelvin Benjamin. With Brady's accuracy, he'd be a beast in their offense.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:42 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
add

FB - Nikita Whitlock - Wake Forest

WR - Jeremy Gallon - Michigan
WR - Kevin Norwood - Alabama
DE - Dee Ford - Auburn
Whitlock was a NG at Wake Forest. He could be a great situational player in the NFL, but moving him to FB would be just wrong.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
Whitlock was a NG at Wake Forest. He could be a great situational player in the NFL, but moving him to FB would be just wrong.
He is 5'11 260 pounds and worked out as a FB...he is making a position change...to a FB
Old 03-26-2014, 09:09 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
So apparently Belichick was present for New England's private workout for Kelvin Benjamin. With Brady's accuracy, he'd be a beast in their offense.
+6 other staff members it would be a gamble that I thought I would never see BB make
Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

4.61 40, and drops a ton of balls. That worries me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:20 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Yeah put me down in the category that just isn't that impressed with Benjamin. I think if you are going to go WR early there are about 10 other guys I would rather have.

But, I have been wrong before and who knows what could happen. The Pats haven't had a guy with his size at the position and he could be that threat outside.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:12 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
4.61 40, and drops a ton of balls. That worries me.
That long, long stride really negates the importance of his top end speed. And with his size and proper ball placement (for him anything within the range of a school bus) and separation isn't a big issue. The number of drops is a bit overstated as well, but again Terrell Owens always had the same issues and was still a HOF caliber WR who was among the elite in the NFL at his best.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:28 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Benjamin criticisms right now are people falling into the common pre-draft traps. I liken his situation to Tyrann Mathieu last year. Personal problems aside, most people were not talking about him as a first round pick even before **** hit the fan. It was "he's too small, he's to slow, his man-to-man skills aren't that good", people completely ignored the traits he flashed again and again on film. He made the transition to the NFL and was still the same type of player he was in college, an exceptional tackler with a nose for the football.

Benjamin is much the same way. People are questioning his production, hands, and top end speed. However, people are ignoring the things that got him in the first round conversation in the first place. He had the highest red-zone success rate of any major receiver in this class, he's a dominating blocker, and he's a load to bring down running after the catch. Not to mention his hands fall into the inconsistent category rather than the bad category, he'll make difficult catches, but drop some easy ones.

Right now he's the kind of receiver we need. We were absolutely dreadful in the red zone last year despite having one of the better power running games in the NFL. If Gronk isn't available there isn't really a solution on the roster. Benjamin isn't my first choice in round 1, but I certainly get why there would be interest. I don't really get the new prevailing sense that Moncrief, Beckham, ect. are all superior prospects, and that Benjamin deserves to be the #10 type guy on the board. Watching Benjamin last year, and now looking at how people view him doesn't really sync up to me.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Completely hypothetical, but the potential of Logan Ryan to FS has peaked my imagination. St. Louis's main needs are safety and OT.

Lets say we could trade:

Devin McCourty
Marcus Cannon
pick 29
pick 61

for:

Pick 2 (Clowney)

The money evens out, St. Louis fills their 2 biggest needs with players in their mid-20's, including one who was a 2nd team all pro, and adds picks. The Pats could turn their pass rush into a strength, and get a potential franchise player in Clowney. Would you do it?

Last edited by cmarq83 : 03-27-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:24 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Completely hypothetical, but the potential of Logan Ryan to FS has peaked my imagination. St. Louis's main needs are safety and OT.

Lets say we could trade:

Devin McCourty
Marcus Cannon
pick 29
pick 88

for:

Pick 2 (Clowney)

The money evens out, St. Louis fills their 2 biggest needs with players in their mid-20's, including one who was a 2nd team all pro, and adds picks. The Pats could turn their pass rush into a strength, and get a potential franchise player in Clowney. Would you do it?
I would do it for sure but I am not sure if either team would feel the same way to be honest.

I don't like the talk of Logan Ryan to FS over McCourty. Ryan has better ball skills but nowhere close to the range and I would like to see bump and run cover 1 all day.

Losing McCourty and Cannon and the 1st and 3rd rounder for Clowney I think is worth it and it helps out financially as McCourty will liekly command $8m per.

For the Rams, I think they would like McCourty but I don't see the benefit Cannon gives them other than what he is for the Pats...a decent swing tackle who can also play OG.

If the Pats had a selection in the high teens or low 20s I think they would be more inclined but then BB would probably not be.

Really interesting hypothetical that I would be in favor of but not likely IMO.

If they are serious about moving Ryan to FS I wouldn't be surprised to see McCourty being floated as trade bait for a low first, high second though

Old 03-27-2014, 10:42 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

I ninja edited it to a 2nd while you were responding, but yeah I know it's incredibly unlikely. I just think it's an interesting opportunity that we have aligned strengths and weaknesses at this moment.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
I ninja edited it to a 2nd while you were responding, but yeah I know it's incredibly unlikely. I just think it's an interesting opportunity that we have aligned strengths and weaknesses at this moment.
To be honest with you I would be happy with something like McCourty and 29 for 13 if a guy like Mike Evans is still on the board

Old 03-27-2014, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watching tape on Benjamin last night, the drops is certainly a fair criticism, and just what we dont need more at this damn position. We were first in drops last year by a pretty good margin if I recall correctly. His blocking didn't impress me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:12 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Benjamin certainly has potential but I do agree with you. He seems like the kind of guy who needs more time to develop his game and really that's not something we have the luxury to do right now.

I appreciate that he would help the red zone offense, but in a perfect world with Gronk and Dobson you have sufficient size, especially if they can add another TE.

Benjamin is not a finished product and could be really good in the future, but if there is one thing our coaches have shown an inability to do is develop WRs