Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-31-2014, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Giants have signed CB Zach Bowman (Bears) and resigned Mike Patterson
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

update on the Giants salary cap as of the MArch 19 signing of John Jerry

Quote:
Connor Hughes of SB Nation provides a succinct but accurate assessment of the Giants' salary cap situation as of March 19, which was before the signing of guard John Jerry.

“the New York Giants now sit $4.57 million under the cap, according to updated numbers from the NFLPA…The Giants will get an additional $5 million in space on June 2, when the cut of David Baas becomes official, but that money is expected to be used to pay New York's 2014 rookie draft class. ”

Jerry’s cap hit for 2014 is $635,000, but per the NFL’s “Top 51” rule, which stipulates that only the 51 highest salaries count towards a team’s cap in the offseason, he actually only decreases the Giants cap space $65,000. This is because his cap hit bumps out Dallas Reynolds’ $570,000 cap hit from the top 51 salaries, per Spotrac.com.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...of-free-agency
Old 03-31-2014, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Some good sections from an article from giants.com with some good insights on Chris Snee, it may be too early for people to write him off completely.

Quote:
“I spoke with Jerry Reese when he put me on I.R.,” Snee said. “He said, ‘Take your time, see how the recovery goes, see if you feel as good as the doctors say you’re going to feel.’ My hip recovered quickly, I felt great. I had the elbow procedure done and it was a slow recovery. I guess that’s normal, but I’m used to bouncing back and having upper body strength. I’m still trying to build all that back up. There came a time in January when the swelling was out of my elbow and I could start lifting again and I got that itch to be in here training and watching all of the playoff games. I was fired up for it.

“I feel like I can still play and play at a high level. I went up and I had meetings and got opinions from guys that I respect and they all felt that I could play and they wanted me here. So I’m here.”

Another opinion he sought was that of Tom Coughlin, who has not only been his lone NFL head coach, but is his father-in-law.

“I had a meeting with him, too,” Snee said. “I wanted to update him and Jerry as to what my thinking was and also to get their opinions. Two guys that I respect, great football minds and talent evaluators. I asked him the same questions I asked Jerry. I wanted to know if they thought I could play. The answer was unanimous. I was wanted here.”

Six months ago, Snee wasn’t certain he’d be capable of performing such physical feats. After the 2012 season, he had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left hip. Not fully healed, Snee opened training camp on the reserve/physically unable to perform list. Pretty soon, his other hip began to hurt. So did his elbow.

“I was all out of whack the whole time, I think from trying so hard to get back for the start of the season,” Snee said. “I was here every day, but I couldn’t run until the end of June. You’re racing against a deadline and I wanted to get back into camp as soon as possible, they wouldn’t allow that to happen. I wasn’t ready. I probably overcompensated for it and tore the labrum in the other hip. When I came back, my elbow had started to hurt by the first game.”

“I played the first game and I knocked off some more bone in my right elbow, had an MRI done of that,” Snee said. “It was not a good situation. I tried to push through it, I always try to push through it, and it just gets harder to do as you get older.”

It became impossible after the Giants’ Week 3 game at Carolina. The 38-0 loss was bad enough. Snee’s distress was exacerbated when he was forced from the game, never to return in 2013.

“Going into that game, I just kept trying to think that on Sunday when I woke up it wouldn’t hurt,” he said. “But even in pregame warm-ups, when I was in shorts, I couldn’t get in my stance without that pop. I kept trying to tell myself, ‘I can tough through it, I can tough through it.’ But then it got to the point where you’re looking at 0-3 and you’ve got to be honest with the trainers. For the first time in a long time, I had to say I couldn’t go.”

Snee was placed on injured reserve on Oct. 4, the day the Giants acquired linebacker Jon Beason. Hip and then elbow surgery soon followed. So did speculation that Snee had played his last football game.

Snee was unsure what the future held – and the present was excruciating, because the Giants were in the midst of a 0-6 start and a 7-9 season.

“That was very difficult,” Snee said. “When we weren’t playing well, to be one of the leaders on the team and not help in any way was very difficult for me. I’ve always been accountable and reliable. Even as I’ve gotten older, I’ve been a guy that you know what you’re going to get out of me. I’ll be out there fighting every game. I couldn’t fight.”

He can now. Snee has worked tirelessly to return to the field. He has added 15 pounds in offseason workouts and wants to put on 10 more. “I was close to 280,” Snee said. “I was very, very light for a lineman and I realized that I had to make a decision (about playing), because if I got any lower, I don’t know if I’d be able to get it all back.”

His weight is heading to where it should be and Snee is confident he can produce the outstanding play that has been a hallmark of his career.

“That’s why I’m in here training every day,” he said. “I feel really good. I’ve been running outside. They put those GPS units on me and the guy told me he was amazed with how well I was running. My focus is to get all of the strength back in my upper body, my leg strength is where it needs to be, and then we’ll see as time goes and as I go through camp, we’ll see how I hold up.”

If this is Snee’s last season, he’s not going to spend a lot of time being reflective or nostalgic.

“I’ll give it another two months and then I don’t want to talk about it,” he said. “When my last training camp is over, will I celebrate with a nice cold one? Probably. But once the season starts, I don’t want to even think about it, I don’t want to talk about it. As the season goes along, if it becomes apparent that that will be my last home game, it will be tough.”

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...0-8816932436d3
Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's just a fluff article. Don't read into them too much. They come out every offseason. Player A is in the best shape of his life, player B knows the playbook and is confident, player C is finally healthy etc. Happens every offseason and it's complete crap almost all the time.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
That's just a fluff article. Don't read into them too much. They come out every offseason. Player A is in the best shape of his life, player B knows the playbook and is confident, player C is finally healthy etc. Happens every offseason and it's complete crap almost all the time.
I hate fluff articles.
Mel Pipeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:15 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Giants sign Tackle Charles Brown

Old 04-01-2014, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTgiants View Post

This is a nice solid signing. Reese and co have done a good job of overhauling the offensive line.

I can't see much happening in the draft on the oline.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
All I am taking out of it is some of the circumstances behind Snee's injuries last season and how far along he is progressing this season.

It seems his sip is fine and if he has been able to do weights since january then his elbow is well on the way too. There is every reason to think that Snee will be able to contribute this year, we will have to see how that shapes up
Old 04-01-2014, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only one not too excited with the Giants moves this year. It seems like they are trying to go make or break this year, but I would honestly prefer to try and start to rebuild.

I think our defense is gross and I still think offensively we are a black hole. I just pray McAdoo fixes that, although that has yet to be seen.

I get that Eli is also getting older but, our team is really barren in terms of high end talent honestly. In terms of marquee players we have:

Eli
Cruz
Healthy JPP? Everyone else is a JAG/below average.

I might be being really pessimistic.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTgiants View Post
Glad we got our back up swing tackle and potential starter if Beatty can't recover in time or continues to struggle. He could even start at RT if we choose to move Pugh inside to C or G.

I'd say we're set at T and G now. We should add a center in the draft to compete with Walton.

But I'm extremely happy with what we've done at corner and along the oline.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:13 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
HAHA! You summed it up perfectly! That pretty much is what happens every year.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
Am I the only one not too excited with the Giants moves this year. It seems like they are trying to go make or break this year, but I would honestly prefer to try and start to rebuild.

I think our defense is gross and I still think offensively we are a black hole. I just pray McAdoo fixes that, although that has yet to be seen.

I get that Eli is also getting older but, our team is really barren in terms of high end talent honestly. In terms of marquee players we have:

Eli
Cruz

With Eli and Coughlin near the end it's do or die. Also, we had a lot of FAs so we knew we'd be active.

Even though our defensive ranking was high it was fake. I'm glad they made an effort to improve the secondary. More could be done on the Dline tho and I'm almost certain that will be thru the draft.

There's no way you can be upset with the improvements on the oline.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Pipeher View Post
Glad we got our back up swing tackle and potential starter if Beatty can't recover in time or continues to struggle. He could even start at RT if we choose to move Pugh inside to C or G.

I'd say we're set at T and G now. We should add a center in the draft to compete with Walton.

But I'm extremely happy with what we've done at corner and along the oline.
I totally agree ;)
Old 04-01-2014, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Pipeher View Post
With Eli and Coughlin near the end it's do or die. Also, we had a lot of FAs so we knew we'd be active.

Even though our defensive ranking was high it was fake. I'm glad they made an effort to improve the secondary. More could be done on the Dline tho and I'm almost certain that will be thru the draft.

There's no way you can be upset with the improvements on the oline.
No, don't me wrong the o-line signing might be the thing I am happiest about.

I think Eli can keep it up for another four years. He knows how to take a hit and has been pretty healthy throughout his career. I can definitely see him playing at a moderately high level at 37/38.

Coughlin is the one on the out. I'm pretty sure its his last year and he wants to go out with fireworks. I can't blame the guy, but I question the long-term success of these kinds of moves.

Before the moves I saw as a 6-10/7-9 team. Now I see us as a fringe playoff contender with a 9-7 record is that's enough for wildcard, doubtful, but it should be enough to be competitive within the NFC east.

Sure the O-line is patched up, but Jennings and Wilson at RB don't convince me, Cruz, Randle and a bunch of nobodies (at least McAdoo might allow at least one of those nobodies to shine), plus Randle hasn't really proven much yet, and literally no one at TE. The offense looks bad and will only be worse if Eli isn't in sync with a new system.

Anytime Perry Fewell is calling the defense I worry a bit. Although we look improved here especially in the secondary, losing Linval will hurt, I thought he was out best and most consistent d-lineman last year. We will really need Hankins to step up. Can Beason keep it up? I pray he can or else we again have nobodies for linebackers. Most pivotal are Moore and JPP, can these guys play at a high level or what? If the answer is yes, then our D might be surprisingly good, at least against the pass.

I won't overlook special teams, we definitely added some positives to this unit, however Tom Quinn still heads this unit and though we have won super bowls with him, its usually been in spite of his unit.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:24 AM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

We had Robert Ayers in for a visit.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eli for another 4 years is in the air. If we have another bad year or worse the wheels come completely off for whatever reason, I can see Eli and TC being phased out. All the coaches are on a 1 year deal basically even though it's a 2 year deal.

The fact we haven't touched Elis contract tells me it's a wait and see game. If he does poorly, we probably let him play out his contract and as Reese says, "Earn the right to hit free agency."

So that's why I am saying this year is vital for everyone that we be successful.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:53 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post

Eli
Cruz

I would normally agree with you but everyone we signed are relatively young, can contribute, and were signed to very reasonable contracts. We didn't cripple our future cap with any of these signings and we didn't reach for aging talent either. We did well in FA.

So we can use them to hold the fort while we continue to rebuild the roster. It needs a massive overhaul that will take a couple of years, these moves allow us to remain competitive in the mean time while not jeopardizing the future.

I'm pleased with it. The only concern I have is, the more FAs we sign, the less confident I feel about this front office because it pretty much means almost all of the young players we've drafted over the past 4 years have been flops. That's not a good sign and is very concerning.

Even this last draft, we laid another egg after round 3. Our inability to hit after round 3 is starting to become a serious problem.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Moore gets his shot now. We need to play the guys we drafted and see if they can play. It would be nice if the later round picks contributed too. Ross has a big test this year. We can't afford to swing and miss in this years draft. In fact, with the talent in this class, this is the most important draft in years. If Ross messes this up, I hope he gets fired. How does he get promoted for not having success?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm glad Moore is going to see meaningful snaps, but we still need a 3rd rotational guy.

I hope we don't start Kiwi over Moore. But of course we will.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like this Ayers signing is going to happen so there is your guy.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:20 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm glad Moore is going to see meaningful snaps, but we still need a 3rd rotational guy.

I hope we don't start Kiwi over Moore. But of course we will.
Ayers who is here may be that guy.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:23 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Yuck. Ayers sucks. I don't like that signing.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're going to need a dossier the first game of the season with all these new players.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:26 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually don't mind Ayers at all, solid rotational piece. Just hope we don't expect him to be the starter.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

So basically on offense our in house talent moving forward will be Eli, Randle, Cruz, Pugh and mayyybe Jernigan. That's it.

On defense, JPP, Moore, Prince, maaaybe Hill, Hank...and that's it.

Wow. That speaks volumes. It really does.