Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 04-15-2014, 12:13 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
Does Khalil Mack get any consideration at #1? It's ideal to think you can move up but moving up to #1 simply does not happen often historically. If you don't take Clowney #1 your options dwindle down to Bortles or Manziel if you believe in them, and then maybe Robinson. Other than that it's tough to say.
I would rather have Mack than Clowney or Bortles. Granted, I would rather trade down, get a 2015 first rounder, and also get Mack a few picks down. I think if we stayed number 1 and passed on Clowney and a QB that it should be Robinson or Matthews.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:45 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys,

Quick question. My buddy moved down to Katy and my buddies and I are coming to visit in September for the Bills/Texans game. How much do Texans tickets usually run?

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:31 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind us taking Mack 1st overall. I see Clowney's projected as more of a phenom than Peppers or Williams, but at the end of the day he remains in that mold. I'm just not convinced that this guys ceiling is as high as people project it to be. I've no doubt he'll be a solid to great pickup for any team, but I don't see him as being one of the best in history. Obviously if we pick him I hope I'm wrong.

Mack on the other hand seems to have an instinct that can't be coached. He has great technique and purpose in what he does. Polishing the tools he already possesses will allow him to apply them against any level of competition. He has a motor and a drive that no one questions, I for one love that. It fits better with the mentality and drive shown by Watt and Cushing, to me he is a better fit. I love both players' potential, but the intangibles that Mack brings to the table make him a much more desirable talent to have on the Texans.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:33 PM    (permalink
touchdownmaker
Rookie

touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
Mack on the other hand seems to have an instinct that can't be coached. He has great technique and purpose in what he does. Polishing the tools he already possesses will allow him to apply them against any level of competition. He has a motor and a drive that no one questions, I for one love that. It fits better with the mentality and drive shown by Watt and Cushing, to me he is a better fit. I love both players' potential, but the intangibles that Mack brings to the table make him a much more desirable talent to have on the Texans.
I think you hit the nail on the head on this. Mack makes your pass rush equally as scarry, but he would be able to do more. You can have him on the field for more than just passing sitautions. You trade down, get your guy and get some picks. I'm not sold on Bortles. Get a 2015 pick to trade up for the QBs next year. Pick a QB in the second. Hell Bridgewater might be there, which is ridiculous considering that he has three years worth of good tape.

As for him being cocky, all I have heard is that he is a quite dude that, as Mayock put it, "is missing the it factor". Its important to note that scouts don't question his study habits. At worst he will be a game manager, which is a floor that none of the other QBs have. With that team you got, you could get away with playing monster D (especially with Mack) and run the ball, while avoiding pick 6s.
touchdownmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:05 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post
Hey guys,

Quick question. My buddy moved down to Katy and my buddies and I are coming to visit in September for the Bills/Texans game. How much do Texans tickets usually run?
That is tough to answer because Houston is filled with bandwagon fans and scalpers. They need the team to be good so they can resell the seats for a profit. Last year, you could get seats for practically nothing on stubhub after a few weeks into the season and we started to suck. Granted, the year before they were really expensive.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:08 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

I miss the all day Saturday draft. It is draft day and I am not nearly as excited as I used to be.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:39 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
I miss the all day Saturday draft. It is draft day and I am not nearly as excited as I used to be.
That's crazy - the draft will always be exciting.

Still looks like no team will forfeit what we're looking for so Clowney will likely be the pick. In my opinion, there is no truly "safe" pick so you might as well swing for the fences. Worst case scenario, we're bad again next year with a much better crop of QBs. Missing on a DE won't set us back nearly as much as missing on a QB.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:47 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
That's crazy - the draft will always be exciting.

Still looks like no team will forfeit what we're looking for so Clowney will likely be the pick. In my opinion, there is no truly "safe" pick so you might as well swing for the fences. Worst case scenario, we're bad again next year with a much better crop of QBs. Missing on a DE won't set us back nearly as much as missing on a QB.
I am still excited but I will forever miss the all day draft Saturdays.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

I wonder if we got any offers for the number 1 pick and what they were for. I would have preferred a 2015 first rounder but I am glad Clowney was the pick over Bortles/Manziel. Now I just have to hope Romeo can come up with a scheme where JJ and Clowney fit in well.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 05-09-2014 at 02:22 AM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:21 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
A buddy of mine is high on Carr as well. Some could probably recirculate jerseys!

I too think a trade down is the way to go, if it will be available. And I think it will.
I didn't think it would happen but we are in position to get Carr! :)
Old 05-10-2014, 10:15 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am so glad we did not get Carr. Overall I am happy with our haul. They were all good value, stout, solid players. Filled our needs, I like the direction that the team is headed.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:56 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
I am so glad we did not get Carr. Overall I am happy with our haul. They were all good value, stout, solid players. Filled our needs, I like the direction that the team is headed.
Why? I'm guessing because of David being his brother? That seems to be the main reason no one wanted him in Houston. He is leaps and bounds better than Yates, Keenum, and Savage combined.

I didn't care for this draft.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:56 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why? I'm guessing because of David being his brother? That seems to be the main reason no one wanted him in Houston. He is leaps and bounds better than Yates, Keenum, and Savage combined.

As much as it pained me at the time - I was also hoping for Carr with our second round pick. I honestly haven't seen much tape on Savage but I know many were high on him so I'm happy with the value in that pick.

I have to think something's in the works to trade for a qb. Otherwise we're locked in for some serious Fitzmagic this season.

Overall I'm happy with our draft, but still don't feel like we've adequately addressed QB.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:08 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
As much as it pained me at the time - I was also hoping for Carr with our second round pick. I honestly haven't seen much tape on Savage but I know many were high on him so I'm happy with the value in that pick.

I have to think something's in the works to trade for a qb. Otherwise we're locked in for some serious Fitzmagic this season.

Overall I'm happy with our draft, but still don't feel like we've adequately addressed QB.
It doesn't make sense. Why trade Schaub for practically nothing if we weren't going to get a qb within the first two rounds, or get an extra 2015 first round pick to make a move at Mariota next year, or trade for a qb? We get rid of Schaub and the best we have done is get Fitz and Savage.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:00 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also think Matt Schaub would have been a better fit for O'Brien's offense than Fitzpatrick.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:56 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Quote:

He has sloppy footwork, he worked out of a spread offense, and he was bad under pressure. That his brother played for us just adds to it.

I just don't think QB's working in the spread offense make smooth transitions into pro-style systems that are run in the NFL.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:01 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Getting rid of Schaub helps our Cap next year. Schaub was broken as a QB this yr. he was not going to get his confidence back in Houston. There's no guarantee he will get it back in Oakland or that he'll have any success. He operated in a very QB friendly system, I don't know much about Oaklands offensive system, but I doubt Matt makes us regret getting rid of him.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:59 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Getting rid of Schaub helps our Cap next year. Schaub was broken as a QB this yr. he was not going to get his confidence back in Houston. There's no guarantee he will get it back in Oakland or that he'll have any success. He operated in a very QB friendly system, I don't know much about Oaklands offensive system, but I doubt Matt makes us regret getting rid of him.
Brees threw 20 INTs two seasons ago and the Saints didn't get rid of him for being "broken." Schaub has one bad year and we ditch him. JJ is the only big contract coming up and we have already ditched Antonio Smith and Owen Daniels. If cap space was our main concern then why not go all in and let Andre go because he is already considering it?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:11 AM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Quote:
Brees threw 20 INTs two seasons ago and the Saints didn't get rid of him for being "broken." Schaub has one bad year and we ditch him. JJ is the only big contract coming up and we have already ditched Antonio Smith and Owen Daniels. If cap space was our main concern then why not go all in and let Andre go because he is already considering it?
Brees was not "Broken" he may have thrown 22 Ints. but he still threw for 33 TDs. Since 2004 Brees has only thrown for less than 25 TDs once, since being a Texan Schaub has thrown for more than 25 TDs only once. Schaubs TD/INT ratio has never been impressive, nor have his mechanics, ball protection, pocket awareness, or ability to extend a play. He doesn't have a trait that one could say trumps his shortcomings. The only thing he had going for him was moving the ball between the 20's and racking up yards, in the red zone he didn't get it done. It isn't about having one bad season it's about not having enough good seasons.

I don't think cap was the main reason, but it was a factor.

AJ on the other hand has always been a solid contributor regardless of the system or QB throwing to him. His route running is exceptional, he is a physical specimen, his hands are polished, and he is consistently in the top third of receivers in stats. The only stat where he suffers is TD production and again that has to do with our coaching and QBs unable to get it done in the red zone. Hell, Kubiak used to not have AJ in goal line formations! Where one can find a number of faults in Schaubs game one is hard pressed to do the same with AJ.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Brees was not "Broken" he may have thrown 22 Ints. but he still threw for 33 TDs. Since 2004 Brees has only thrown for less than 25 TDs once, since being a Texan Schaub has thrown for more than 25 TDs only once. Schaubs TD/INT ratio has never been impressive, nor have his mechanics, ball protection, pocket awareness, or ability to extend a play. He doesn't have a trait that one could say trumps his shortcomings. The only thing he had going for him was moving the ball between the 20's and racking up yards, in the red zone he didn't get it done. It isn't about having one bad season it's about not having enough good seasons.

I don't think cap was the main reason, but it was a factor.

AJ on the other hand has always been a solid contributor regardless of the system or QB throwing to him. His route running is exceptional, he is a physical specimen, his hands are polished, and he is consistently in the top third of receivers in stats. The only stat where he suffers is TD production and again that has to do with our coaching and QBs unable to get it done in the red zone. Hell, Kubiak used to not have AJ in goal line formations! Where one can find a number of faults in Schaubs game one is hard pressed to do the same with AJ.
The Saints don't hand it off to the RB 100,000 times a year like Schaub has done with Foster/Tate. Our offense isn't the hail marry type of offense that Brees gets to deal with. 20 INTs isn't something you want from your QB but they didn't quit on Brees. Schaub is bad for 6 games and we quit on him, and for what? All we do is bring in a 4th round qb and Fitzpatrick. It doesn't make sense other than for the fact that management got Schaub out because our fans enjoyed booing the heck out of him.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

I like the progress the team is making so far. I'm disappointed we lost Clowney, but on the bright side the injury doesn't seem too serious. One of the surprising things is how our lines are winning the battles in the trenches. I like how BoB is gameplanning for the opposing teams. I think this team has a shot at being better than expected. Our weak schedule and division will help us this season, but being 2-0 and sitting on top of the division is nice.

There is a different vibe about this team this year and our guys are practicing better technique. I hope this season sees us develop into a solid team and future perennial contender.

Giants can be a challenge, they have their backs against the wall and need this win. It'll be tough for them as some of their players have gone down with injury. I think Beason will miss some time and he seemed to me to be the heart of their D. I hope we come out 3-0 and have an injury free game.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:58 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Quote:
The Saints don't hand it off to the RB 100,000 times a year like Schaub has done with Foster/Tate. Our offense isn't the hail marry type of offense that Brees gets to deal with. 20 INTs isn't something you want from your QB but they didn't quit on Brees. Schaub is bad for 6 games and we quit on him, and for what? All we do is bring in a 4th round qb and Fitzpatrick. It doesn't make sense other than for the fact that management got Schaub out because our fans enjoyed booing the heck out of him.
Schaub is now riding the bench behind a rookie in Oakland. Fitzpatrick is 2nd behind Manning in QB rating has not been sacked or intercepted yet. He's not spectacular, but he's serviceable. We brought in Mallet as a back up who can step in if needed and Savage is developing. Not the best QB situation for us, but at this time it's doing it's job. I don't know how long Fitzy will keep producing, but overall I think it's going better than expected.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:27 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Schaub is now riding the bench behind a rookie in Oakland. Fitzpatrick is 2nd behind Manning in QB rating has not been sacked or intercepted yet. He's not spectacular, but he's serviceable. We brought in Mallet as a back up who can step in if needed and Savage is developing. Not the best QB situation for us, but at this time it's doing it's job. I don't know how long Fitzy will keep producing, but overall I think it's going better than expected.
Still want to live up to that post? The last 2 weeks he has 5 picks. Fitzy isn't even in the top half in QB rating now. We won today because JJ was being JJ and not anything our offense did. JJ has 2 less touchdowns than Fitzy has throwing. Schaub could do better. Oakland is in rebuilding mode which is why Carr is out there and that is coming from a big Carr fan.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:55 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Quote:
Still want to live up to that post? The last 2 weeks he has 5 picks. Fitzy isn't even in the top half in QB rating now. We won today because JJ was being JJ and not anything our offense did. JJ has 2 less touchdowns than Fitzy has throwing. Schaub could do better. Oakland is in rebuilding mode which is why Carr is out there and that is coming from a big Carr fan.
I'm not sure what you mean by live up to the post, but I still stand by what I said. He's serviceable and is still producing. He showed some guts today with some of the plays he made to keep drives alive. I'm not saying they were smart, I don't like how he doesn't slide feet first when he goes down, but I'm not expecting great things from him.

Hmm, we won by 6 so I'd say that the 7 points from the 35 yd. TD to Hopkins had something to do with the win. Getting us in position to make field goals also seems to be on the offense. Our offense had a hand in this win. It's a team win. I love Watt, the guys is epic, but as great as he is he can't win on his own.

Schaub is gone, nothing you say will change that. I for one am glad he is. I don't understand what you base your statement on that Schaub would do a better job.

I don't understand what you being a big Carr fan has to do with the last sentence or what the Raiders being in rebuilding mode has to do with Carr being the starter. Would you elaborate?
Old 10-08-2014, 05:42 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by live up to the post, but I still stand by what I said. He's serviceable and is still producing. He showed some guts today with some of the plays he made to keep drives alive. I'm not saying they were smart, I don't like how he doesn't slide feet first when he goes down, but I'm not expecting great things from him.

Hmm, we won by 6 so I'd say that the 7 points from the 35 yd. TD to Hopkins had something to do with the win. Getting us in position to make field goals also seems to be on the offense. Our offense had a hand in this win. It's a team win. I love Watt, the guys is epic, but as great as he is he can't win on his own.

Schaub is gone, nothing you say will change that. I for one am glad he is. I don't understand what you base your statement on that Schaub would do a better job.

I don't understand what you being a big Carr fan has to do with the last sentence or what the Raiders being in rebuilding mode has to do with Carr being the starter. Would you elaborate?
Your example to show that Fitzgerald is a serviceable QB is that he is second in the league in QB ratings. Now he is in the bottom of the league.

Yes we won by 6 but Fitzy had 2 picks to his one Td. The defense had more td's than Fitzy and the offense. Even O'Brien doesn't trust him and that is why you saw every pass against Dallas ended up being a screen pass or a small pass over the middle. He still ended up with an interception.

I for one isn't glad he is gone. He had one forgetable year and everyone bailed on him. He recently went to the Pro Bowl.

In my opinion, Carr is playing because the Raiders have nothing to lose. I mentioned that I was a fan so it wouldn't seem like I am biased for Carr playing. You mentioned in an earlier post that schaub got benched for a rookie. Well, Fitzy got released for a rookie.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 10-08-2014 at 05:48 AM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote