Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 04-30-2014, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Gilbert's hips are too stiff for my liking.
I agree. I don't like him at all.

Cooks or Beckham would be interesting but I doubt it happens. I would guess we're more likely to reach on a TE. I also think Ward, Mosley and Shazier will all be on the board; making a WR pick awful gutsy.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since Teddy has had great success as our GM by using his 2nd & 3rd round picks on WRs, I see no reason why he will be using our 1st round pick now on one, when we have no safety at all and our ILB play sucks, and our TE stable is as bad as ever.

Now if Teddy has a WR ranked super high, and he's the one WR who slips down to him at #21, then maybe. But I'd bet heavily against it.

Remember, we were told that in 2009 he had Michael Crabtree rated highest on his board than anyone left, but he went with BJ Raji instead because he doesn't totally draft the BPA. He factors needs.

In 2010, we also heard that he had Dez Bryant rated higher than Bulaga. Who knows if that's true, but he does seem to do just fine with finding specimens in the 2nd or 3rd round and I wouldn't expect him to deviate from that MO next week. Not when this defense still needs help.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How scary would our offense be with Crabtree and Dez?

:(
Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Smokey
Veteran

Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post

Cooks or Beckham would be interesting but I doubt it happens. I would guess we're more likely to reach on a TE. .
ASJ seems like a Thompson pick but 21 seems early. I'm hoping we take a defensive piece for the years to come, even a D Lineman or OLB if a really good one falls.

Last edited by Smokey : 04-30-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:36 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jordan Matthews seems to be the forgotten receiver in this process. He has the most receptions and receiving yardage in the entire history of the SEC, and while I'm not huge stats guy, those can't be ignored considering the school and talent, or lack thereof, around him. He has a great work ethic, is a large receiver and has some huge mitts. In a trade down, much like 2008 when we took Nelson, I could see the Packers taking Matthews towards the top of round two.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:14 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jordan Matthews seems to be the forgotten receiver in this process. He has the most receptions and receiving yardage in the entire history of the SEC, and while I'm not huge stats guy, those can't be ignored considering the school and talent, or lack thereof, around him. He has a great work ethic, is a large receiver and has some huge mitts. In a trade down, much like 2008 when we took Nelson, I could see the Packers taking Matthews towards the top of round two.
I very much like Matthews. He's my favorite 2nd or 3rd.round option by far. Trading back into the 2nd and getting something like Borland, Matthews, Niklas and Bailey would blow my mind.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:42 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One week to go!

Old 05-01-2014, 08:53 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
I very much like Matthews. He's my favorite 2nd or 3rd.round option by far. Trading back into the 2nd and getting something like Borland, Matthews, Niklas and Bailey would blow my mind.
I like Matthews as a target for us too. Seems like hand size is an overlooked attribute in receiver...at least by draftniks. Those 'huge mitts' come in handy when Rodgers is firing footballs into tight windows and back shoulder throws.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:05 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
How scary would our offense be with Crabtree and Dez?

:(
Instead of Raji and Bulaga.

But, I doubt we win that one Super Bowl without those 2 guys.
Our WRs were already great with Jennings, Jordy, Driver, Jones.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:08 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
I very much like Matthews. He's my favorite 2nd or 3rd.round option by far.
If we can get Air Jordan in the 3rd round, I would be shocked as hell.
That would be a coup.

I like the other options you mention too. Really love Niklas, except for the fact that the NFL now is strongly encouraging safeties to rip their knees/legs apart on defenseless catches down the seems.

PF, I can definitely see Teddy trading down, like 6 years ago when he parlayed those 2 second rounders into Jordy Nelson and Brian Brohm.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

I think I've settled on the following as my ideal 1st round picks, in order.

1. Haha
2. Mosley
3. Barr
4. Shazier
5. Pryor
6. Cooks
7. Beckham

I've seen Barr drop to 21 in some mocks recently and I don't know how we'd pass him up.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 05-01-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:20 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think I've settled on the following as my ideal 1st round picks, in order.

1. Haha
2. Mosley
3. Barr
4. Shazier
5. Pryor
6. Cooks
7. Beckham

I've seen Barr drop to 21 in some mocks recently and I don't know how we'd pass him up.
If Barr is there, he's got to be #1 at least on my board. I know a lot of you guys don't like him and he's still raw, but the long term potential would be too great to pass up in my opinion.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:02 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
If Barr is there, he's got to be #1 at least on my board. I know a lot of you guys don't like him and he's still raw, but the long term potential would be too great to pass up in my opinion.
I have not given up on Nick Perry, at all.
I think he's shown that he is capable of being good+.
When healthy.

It took Neal until last year to stay on the field.
Maybe Perry is this year.

Those 2 opposite Matthews, or with Matthews, and now Peppers, there's not room for another rushback type.

My order for who I hope we get if we pick at #21:

Pryor
Mosley
Shazier
Ward
Bucannon
Borland

The only reason I have Borland lower is I heard more about his shoulder concerns. I'm a bit worried there. Of course, that could have been BS.

I believe our ILB play could be SO much better, and if it is, we will see an overall huge improvement on our defense.

Same is almost true at safety.

The reason I have Pryor number one is, even though he's not a super fast free safety, I just believe his physicality is TOTALLY what we lack back there. I saw first hand what Vacarro did for the back end of the Saints defense last year. I think Pryor is a stronger version of Vacarro.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:03 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Old 05-01-2014, 05:24 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
If we can get Air Jordan in the 3rd round, I would be shocked as hell.
That would be a coup.

I like the other options you mention too. Really love Niklas, except for the fact that the NFL now is strongly encouraging safeties to rip their knees/legs apart on defenseless catches down the seems.

PF, I can definitely see Teddy trading down, like 6 years ago when he parlayed those 2 second rounders into Jordy Nelson and Brian Brohm.
Speaking of Niklas. I didn't realize he was related to Clay. How about that gene pool?

Bruce, Clay Jr., Clay III, Jake, Casey, and now Niklas.

Also Jake's younger brother Mike is likely to be one of the top OC in 2016.

Last edited by TimmG6376 : 05-01-2014 at 05:28 PM.
TimmG6376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Lots of reports that Jimmie Ward is some combination of lazy and a douche. Not good.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:57 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Lots of reports that Jimmie Ward is some combination of lazy and a douche. Not good.
Maybe have to move Terrence Brooks ahead of him now.
Bucannon is the question mark for me.

Did you guys see the Mel Kiper-McShay mock last night?

They picked for each team who THEY would take, alternating Kiper, McShay, Kiper, McShay.

For us, here's what we got:

#1- CJ Mosley, ILB
#2- Louis Nix, NT
#3- Brock Vereen, FS
#3b- CJ Fiedorowicz, TE

I'll tell you what, I bet I won't be as happy with the real one next week as I would that one.
Vereen might be a steal with his combination of speed and smarts. Plus he's strong.
The others are great fits too. Nix that low is a super steal. He might be better than Raji, if healthy, who was a #9 overall pick.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Would Louis Nix offer us more as a two down player than what we potentially have in Josh Boyd?

Old 05-02-2014, 08:54 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Would Louis Nix offer us more as a two down player than what we potentially have in Josh Boyd?
I like Josh, but yes absolutely.
Nix is a class above Boyd.

COMPARES TO: B.J. Raji, Packers -- Nix is light on his feet and carries his weight tremendously for a 340+ pounder with range to make plays up and down the line of scrimmage.--Dane Brugler/Rob Rang (1/14/14)

Nix was highly recruited out of high school and chose Notre Dame over several in-state programs, including Florida, Florida State and Miami (Fla.). After redshirting in 2010, he started 11 games as a first-year player at the nose guard position, anchoring the middle of the Irish's three-man front. Nix finished with 45 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and a half-sack. After a breakthrough 2012, Nix was overweight to start the '13 season. Just as he started to round into shape, he missed two games with knee tendinitis that ultimately turned out to be a torn meniscus. When healthy, Nix displayed the unique blend of power and burst that has earned him first round buzz throughout much of his career.

Nix has struggled with the pressure and expectations of playing for a high-profile program away from home, but he also flashes a rare skill-set for a player his size and strength. Add the hustle, competitive drive and love of football and Nix presents an enticing prospect for NFL evaluators and he will receive attention by teams drafting in the top-10. The knee injury does create some concern, but few prospects have his combination of fluid athleticism, natural power and sheer size.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...7206/louis-nix
Great video piece on Nix here.

THIS GETTING NIX IN ROUND 2 IS A PIPE DREAM.
I can't believe it played out like that last night for Kiper & McShay.
That's a dream getting someone that talented & rare of a skill set for a 340 pound dude, to fall down to that spot.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:36 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Possible Undrafted FA tight end?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/packers...34994-nfl.html
Old 05-02-2014, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
THIS GETTING NIX IN ROUND 2 IS A PIPE DREAM.
I can't believe it played out like that last night for Kiper & McShay.
That's a dream getting someone that talented & rare of a skill set for a 340 pound dude, to fall down to that spot.
Not necessarily. If teams view him strictly as a 2 down NT he'll almost certainly drop. Every year those players are projected as fringe first rounders and go in the 4th or 6th, especially if they have injury concerns. Like Centers In basketball, you start to get extra concerned when those 330# plus guys start to get injuries; very often snowballs from there.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:19 PM    (permalink
cuzifelt1ikeit
Veteran

cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Maybe have to move Terrence Brooks ahead of him now.
Bucannon is the question mark for me.

Did you guys see the Mel Kiper-McShay mock last night?

They picked for each team who THEY would take, alternating Kiper, McShay, Kiper, McShay.

For us, here's what we got:

#1- CJ Mosley, ILB
#2- Louis Nix, NT
#3- Brock Vereen, FS
#3b- CJ Fiedorowicz, TE

I'll tell you what, I bet I won't be as happy with the real one next week as I would that one.
Vereen might be a steal with his combination of speed and smarts. Plus he's strong.
The others are great fits too. Nix that low is a super steal. He might be better than Raji, if healthy, who was a #9 overall pick.
Nix in the second? That would be cool. I think I am alone here, but I think I want us to trade down. It's going to be an exciting day next Thursday regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigNall4MVP
biigest mistake packers ever make was geting rid of craig nall he beter then bret faver
cuzifelt1ikeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:59 PM    (permalink
Smokey
Veteran

Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzifelt1ikeit View Post
Nix in the second? That would be cool. I think I am alone here, but I think I want us to trade down. It's going to be an exciting day next Thursday regardless.
I'm with you. A deep draft. Trading down makes our 4 picks in the top 100 5 picks, maybe even picking up an extra 1st in 2015 depending on whose trading up or vaulting themselves back into the 1st.

Thompson was quoted several days ago as saying he likes having more picks as it increases the odds of more hits than misses.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:18 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
I'm with you. A deep draft. Trading down makes our 4 picks in the top 100 5 picks, maybe even picking up an extra 1st in 2015 depending on whose trading up or vaulting themselves back into the 1st.
Teddy is always willing to trade down and all other teams know this, so, and but, he's not the type of GM who is going to get someone's #1 NEXT year.

Like you, I wish that. That would be awesome. Look at the Rams right now, getting a #2 and #13 pick in the draft. Able to fill 2 big holes.

But they did that because they had the #2 pick which was for RG3. Serious chip there. Our #21 pick doesn't command that type of ammo.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:17 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

In such a deep draft, I would prefer to have picks from this draft than trading for future picks.