Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I agree completely, we need a tight end who can impact the passing game in the worst kind of way. He won't be Hernandez but he could fill the role of our move tight end. Plus it doesn't look like there are many great options for us in this draft class, we need to sign this guy.
Really? Amaro or Ebron could both be studs in our system imo. The onyl issue is I wouldnt want to use a first round pick on Amaro, and Ebron will be gone by then and Amaro wont last until our second pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:28 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We simply can't afford to cut the TE out of our passing game if Gronk is unable to go. We only targeted our non-Gronk TE's 22 times last year despite Gronk missing 9.5 games. That's pitiful, even if Keller can't run anymore it's hard to imagine he wouldn't at least be more useful in the passing game than Hooman.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
We simply can't afford to cut the TE out of our passing game if Gronk is unable to go. We only targeted our non-Gronk TE's 22 times last year despite Gronk missing 9.5 games. That's pitiful, even if Keller can't run anymore it's hard to imagine he wouldn't at least be more useful in the passing game than Hooman.
Which is why I could see either of those guys being good adds. I havent watched as much tape on Ebron as I have Amaro since most mock drafts have the former gone and the latter going to us. I'd have to think both would give us more production than Keller while giving us a solid option behind Gronk at the position.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Really? Amaro or Ebron could both be studs in our system imo. The onyl issue is I wouldnt want to use a first round pick on Amaro, and Ebron will be gone by then and Amaro wont last until our second pick.
I agree, but tbh I'd rather fill this spot with a veteran guy, and let us use our top picks elsewhere. The interior offensive line isn't going to fix itself unless we want to keep plugging in the UDFA Koppen's, Wendell's, and Connolly's of the world.
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah that was under the assumption that Ebron will be gone. Other than Ebron, Amaro is really the only guy I see as a sure fit for what we really need but I don't think we will use a first on him. I like ASJ but I don't know if he will be immediately ready to contribute as the receiver we need. Talent wise Lyerla would be a match but he is a headcase/dbag and I don't think we will go near him.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:31 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Which is why I could see either of those guys being good adds. I havent watched as much tape on Ebron as I have Amaro since most mock drafts have the former gone and the latter going to us. I'd have to think both would give us more production than Keller while giving us a solid option behind Gronk at the position.
I think it all depends on where Keller is at post his injury. If he's near his NYJ level he's nothing to scoff at. He was a substantially more efficient player on the Jets than any other receiver they had during his tenure there.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

This is going to be an interesting draft one way or the other for us. Like Don posted, I have no clue where were going to go, but I guess thats the norm for us Pats fans. I'm reluctant to think Keller will be anything more than depth for this team if we sign him.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-30-2014, 10:39 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wory about Amaro, he is not athletic as first thought and feel he too advantage of slow LB's and small CB's where in the NFL might be pushed around too much and might not be able to seperate
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:40 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Keller plus a draftee is what we need, imo. I don't see it as one or the other. Keller needs time to see if he's got anything left and we have a massive issue with our TE talent compared to our TE use. We have Gronk, Hooman, and DJ Williams (who couldn't carve out a a role with Finley oft broken). Hooman should be a TE4. Add 2 or 3 more between now and draft day and let's have some camp battles at the position that has become most important in our offense.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I agree, but tbh I'd rather fill this spot with a veteran guy, and let us use our top picks elsewhere. The interior offensive line isn't going to fix itself unless we want to keep plugging in the UDFA Koppen's, Wendell's, and Connolly's of the world.
I'm not sure the team is as concerned about it seeing we just resigned Wendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
I wory about Amaro, he is not athletic as first thought and feel he too advantage of slow LB's and small CB's where in the NFL might be pushed around too much and might not be able to seperate
You could literally say the same thing about Gronk, only with the added injury disclaimer. Which has proven to be the only real issue.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Jvig43 : 04-30-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:49 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

I just think we need to address interior offensive line sooner rather than later. Having a quality competition for our 2-3 TE is less important to me than saving ~$10+ million against the cap next year while improving the interior line.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You could literally say the same thing about Gronk, only with the added injury disclaimer. Which has proven to be the only real issue.
2 different types.

Gronk was always an inline blocker who is very athletic for his size.

Amaro is a slot reciever who dissapoined when tested athletically
Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm not sure the team is as concerned about it seeing we just resigned Wendell.
His contract is pretty disposable, but I really hope the team has an improvement strategy there because Wendell/Connolly doesn't cut it, and Mankins contract is prohibitively expensive.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Any pass catcher would be an upgrade outside of Gronk at this point. I'd welcome Amaro here with open arms. Especially if we could snag him in the second somehow.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-30-2014, 11:06 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

And edelmen. I guess thats super disingenuous to ignore him as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
And edelmen. I guess thats super disingenuous to ignore him as well.
I'm hoping by the end of this year we can add Vereen to the list as well. The man caught 47 passes in 8 games, and that was with 7 drops which may or may not have been because of his cast. Had he played the entire year at the pace he was on, he'd be getting a lot more pub. That's why I want to resign him and lock him into a lower rate before he ends up catching 80 balls next year and exploding his market.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:31 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

I would be fine with Amaro in the second, just not the first. What does Edelman have to do with the TE position.

I agree with CMarq83, Mankins, Connolly, Wendel and Cannon all could be questionable to be on this team next season so it wouldn't shock me if they brought in 3-5 lineman drafted or undrafted

Brandon Thomas would be a nice redshirt gift in round 4
Old 04-30-2014, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
I would be fine with Amaro in the second, just not the first. What does Edelman have to do with the TE position.

I agree with CMarq83, Mankins, Connolly, Wendel and Cannon all could be questionable to be on this team next season so it wouldn't shock me if they brought in 3-5 lineman drafted or undrafted

Brandon Thomas would be a nice redshirt gift in round 4
Refer to previous post.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-30-2014, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually liked DJ Williams coming out of Arkansas, he was a great player in the SEC for a few years. They had a lot of talent at WR and RB around Mallett but Williams was the safety valve and a good one at that. He got compared to Hernandez a little bit due to his size, production, and just the fact he broke out when Hernandez got to the NFL but he just isn't the same kind of athlete.

What about Trey Burton? Yes he is very undersized but he lined up everywhere for the Gators and was really like Hernandez/Jordan Reed. He simply doesn't have the size to be a tight end but he could be a fit for us, I don't think we've talked about him. He did it all for Florida. I actually wanted us to take a look at Jordan Reed last year if he was around late.

AC Leonard is another possibility, he is a serious athlete.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:06 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Burton has some wheels too but he is under 230 pounds

AC Leonard also has a red flag for off field and can't think off the top of my head and too lazy to look it up sorry. BUT, the guy is talented and fast I think it was Florida where he transferred from but again the laziness has set in for the day
Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Lee would look slick as hell in a Pats uniform. This is a guy who would've been top 5 last year, he is a gamebreaker that could slip in anywhere on the Pats O.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Keller would be a great signing if he can still run. It gives an added veteran presence but also gives more flexibility for the type of TE we could go for. As many have said Ebron will be gone by our first round pick and Amaro won't last to the 2nd round pick but isn't good value at 29.

However, if Keller can play the move role then guys like ASJ and Niklas are more likely to be there in the 2nd or Fiedorowicz in the 3rd. Those guys are better value than Amaro in the 1st or a move up for Ebron.

I also like the upside of ASJ and Niklas way more than Amaro because from a size and pass catching potential both guys blow him out of the water.

I feel with Amaro what you see is what you get. I'm not sure he will develop much as a player. ASJ and Niklas can both develop as complete TEs but both will straight away help in the red zone and Niklas in particular can run over people.

For our 1st round pick I have seen a lot of rumors saying the Pats could be one of the teams who consider Dom Easley as a 1st rounder. I have stated previously I don't think DT is as big a need as some make out and if we go that way early I want to swing for the fences on a guy with major upside. Easley fits that mold. He would be a top 10 player without the injuries and apparently his recent medical showed he should be good for training camp

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:42 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

I would love seeing Easley lined up next to Wilfork, could even play some DE on obvious run downs. There have been players who have bounced back with 2 ACL tears at a young age
Old 05-01-2014, 08:28 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-01-2014, 10:31 AM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

any possibility that the aggressive nature of our offseason will lead to an aggressive draft? any chance we move up to get the guy we want?

I personally think this year has a better chance of that happening than most years.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote