Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 05-18-2014, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
This is a strange opinion to me. He's rarely been an OC and while he got Flacco going as I mentioned above, his real strengths have always been more in his leadership a lot more than playcalling. Working with QBs and leading men.
seriously stop before my eyes bleed

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So what will it take for Stafford to get back to 2011 form.

Some interesting things I found. Stafford had 10 picks for 4 losses in 2011(at Chi,GB,at NO, at GB) and in 2013 (at Pit,TB, Bal and NYG). All the other picks were in Detroit wins. 6 in 2011 and 9 in 2013.

Stafford had 29 TDs in 2013 compared to 41 in 2011. The Lions defense had 12 less turnovers forced (22 compared to 34) in 2013 compared to 2011. Is that a coincidence? Detroit also had 8 more fumbles lost in 2013 compared to 2011 (15 to 7).

The drop % was 2.1 % lower in 2011 compared to 2013. None of Staffords receiving weapons got hurt in 2011 (Calvin,Nate,Titus,Pettigrew,Scheffler) Plenty of injuries with Burleosn,Broyles,Calvin and Pettigrew in 2013.

Big year from Stafford in 2014 coming. Coaches should be better and Tate/Ebron/Pettigrew should be better than Burleson/Young/Pettigrew. Bell/Bush 16 games should be better than Best for 6 games too.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
seriously stop before my eyes bleed
lmao, you believe whatever you need to
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
So what will it take for Stafford to get back to 2011 form.

Some interesting things I found. Stafford had 10 picks for 4 losses in 2011(at Chi,GB,at NO, at GB) and in 2013 (at Pit,TB, Bal and NYG). All the other picks were in Detroit wins. 6 in 2011 and 9 in 2013.

Stafford had 29 TDs in 2013 compared to 41 in 2011. The Lions defense had 12 less turnovers forced (22 compared to 34) in 2013 compared to 2011. Is that a coincidence? Detroit also had 8 more fumbles lost in 2013 compared to 2011 (15 to 7).

The drop % was 2.1 % lower in 2011 compared to 2013. None of Staffords receiving weapons got hurt in 2011 (Calvin,Nate,Titus,Pettigrew,Scheffler) Plenty of injuries with Burleosn,Broyles,Calvin and Pettigrew in 2013.

Big year from Stafford in 2014 coming. Coaches should be better and Tate/Ebron/Pettigrew should be better than Burleson/Young/Pettigrew. Bell/Bush 16 games should be better than Best for 6 games too.
I think Stafford is fine. He's 25 and certainly needs some refining. I hope he cleans up his footwork and throws side arm less, but he's also good enough to take us a long way as he is. With the(IMO) elite weapons we now have, I have few worries about how he'll perform.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:13 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So far I have CB and OL high on my draft needs list. That can obviously change with what happens with Suh/Fairley. But I am starting to think there is a greater chance that Suh will be here next year than Calvin will. I know it sounds crazy, but this defense is why we are good and that starts and stops with the Suh/Fairley in the middle. You cannot replace them. We are 4-2 with really only 2-3 weeks out of Calvin, and we should be 5-1.

Right now priority number 1 is resign suh. Everything is clicking with the defense and that is with a lacking secondary. Fairley still concerns me with his inconsistency and weight fluctuations and I question his whether his dedication is for a contract or to be a quality player. But hopefully we can sign him to a reasonable deal.

If you can retain those guys I'm hoping for a DB in round 1 and OL in round 2 and possibly even 3. Sims must be replaced ASAP and the jury is out on Waddle.

The strategy of this team must shift from the pass happy mess we have been to focusing on winning our games with defense. If we do not make that transition this offseason we are going to take a large step back. Add talent to the secondary and keep the improvement going. Then fix the online so we can run the ball and protect our QB and we will have a very good team for years to come.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:00 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another guy I am starting to really want is La'el Collins. We obviously need to shore up this Oline and he could immediately start at LG for Sims and give us flexibility moving forward with his ability to play OT. Mayhew has done a good job so far rebuilding this Oline, especially with later round picks so I am not opposed to continuing this route. But LG and RT are question marks. Hopefully Waddle picks up his play now that he is healthy and solidifies RT, but Collins gives us a starting OG and an insurance policy on Waddle.

I hate the idea of addressing offense in the first and would love to get another playmaker in the secondary (Mathis won't play forever). But fixing the oline also allows us to be a better running team which indirectly helps the defense as well.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:57 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

I know I am the only one posting in this thread but that won't stop me.

After watching that packers loss our needs are very clear to me. We need to address 2 areas in the draft IMO. That is CB and Oline. I'd love to take a RB early but until we have an oline that can support a power running game, that may have to wait. We need a replacement for Sims and we need a RT who will atleast be a serviceable replacement for injuries. Our Oline sucks plain and simple. We need to establish a running game because Stafford is not a guy who can win us games consistently or on the road. Not saying he sucks, but we need to be able to rely on our running game to win us games and that requires an oline.

It is about time we invest heavily in our secondary. We need a big CB to go across from Slay. Our defense is good but flawed because we rely too much on our front 4 getting pressure. As we just saw, if that doesn't go our defense doesn't work. We would be very lucky if Mathis is back again, but even if he is we need to start developing another CB ASAP or else we will have huge issues soon.

Invest in the defense and our oline and stay the course we are on. We need to establish this team as a running offense. Stafford is a good QB, but if we continue to rely on him to win us games we will never be the elite team we are so close to being.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:02 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say OL has to be top priority and maybe DT a big need if u lose the big free agents
Old 12-30-2014, 07:47 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Agreed. OL CB and DL are the 3 big areas for me. DT goes away if we can keep Suh and Mosley.

I will say though that if we lose Suh and Fairley, I think we could make a switch to a 3-4 which would alter needs as well. But regardless of what happens with that, OL needs to be addressed.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:35 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also losing the DC who will interview for several jobs could change and make Def more of a need espically if you lose the DC and Sue. That would be a huge loss. I would also add another mid round HB since Bush will
be cut maybe even someone like Todd Gurley in round 2 or 3.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:23 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

Unless someone like Ogbuehi falls to end of the first, I really don't see us going OL in the first round. We'll definitely add a player or two in the draft, but the biggest thing the offensive line needs is consistency. I wouldn't be surprised if we bring back Sims on a team friendly deal.

Interested to see how the draft process turns out, this is a draft position where I'd love to be able to trade back.
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I said OL last year, but you guys kept telling me that our OL was one of the top in the NFL. So I certainly agree that OL is a high priority. WE are drafting pretty late, so I think it will have to be an OG. It's a thin draft, so there is no way I would trade back.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I said OL last year, but you guys kept telling me that our OL was one of the top in the NFL. So I certainly agree that OL is a high priority. WE are drafting pretty late, so I think it will have to be an OG. It's a thin draft, so there is no way I would trade back.
I know you did and I know I argued heavily. But we also didn't plan to get hit hard by injuries to our right side.

I also am not too sure we will go OL in round 1. I think we need to get a OC or OG depending on how we view Swanson and an OT to atleast be an insurance policy. I do not think Lucas looks like a guy who we should rely on. Ideally we can get a guy like La'el Colins or Erving who we can fit into a couple different positions to give us the most flexibility.

We have had success lately with getting quality OL in round 3 and I think we will see that continue. I wouldn't be shocked to see us go D in round one and OL round 2 and 3. The only glaring spot that must be addressed is either LG or OC. But RT is a large ? and Warford's injuries are piling up where we need to have some competent insurance options.

I do not think Sims will be back. I thought he was pretty terrible this year (atleast early on) and is on the wrong side of his career.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
Also losing the DC who will interview for several jobs could change and make Def more of a need espically if you lose the DC and Sue. That would be a huge loss. I would also add another mid round HB since Bush will
be cut maybe even someone like Todd Gurley in round 2 or 3.
I'm not convinced we will lose Austin this year. I think we have him for one more year. There are more established guys out there this year and I just don't think he will get hired over guys like Bowles, Del Rio, Rex after being a DC for one year.

That said, defense is a huge need and DT becomes need #1 if Suh and Fairley leave without a doubt. I think we will see a switch to a 3-4 if that happens with some good DT's in this draft that can play NT. a 3-4 should optimize the talents of our LBs and Ansah so that just makes sense to me. Along with Jason jones being a 3-4 DE fit we would only be a few pieces off to make the transition. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though as I still hope to see Suh and Ansah terrorize QBs for the next 5 years.

We are going to have more needs we can fill. I still believe Calvin will not be here next year unless he takes a large pay cut. So WR is a potential need. CB is still a need with Mathis nearing retirement and the cupboard is pretty bare behind him. I would love Gurley but I feel like we have much larger needs in the first 3 rounds to warrant that pick.

I hope to see us continue to transition towards a defense oriented team and build a power running game. That is what will keep us as contenders. We are not a high powered offense and will never outscore GB in a shootout to win this division.

Last edited by detroit4life : 01-05-2015 at 09:03 AM.
detroit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:20 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

Maybe it was just the OL but the running game was 28th in the NFL this year and Reggie Bush is likely gone. I know Reddick is in line to fill in for Bush but still at worse a solid vet or mid round back is needed.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:41 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Maybe it was just the OL but the running game was 28th in the NFL this year and Reggie Bush is likely gone. I know Reddick is in line to fill in for Bush but still at worse a solid vet or mid round back is needed.
I agree with that but I still attribute our running issues to our Oline first and foremost. Good Olines produce good RBs and while a very good RB can be good behind a shoddy line, it's more important to have a good Oline IMO.

I'd rather solidify our line and have another year of Bell as our lead back with Theo as a complementary than take a RB high. I personally liked how Bell ran in the last few games. While he doesn't do anything great, I view him as a poor mans Lacy, he can do everything. Right now I simply view other areas as much larger needs than RB.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:22 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

I agree that at this point OL,DL and CB are bigger needs but the coaching staff obviously doesn't trust the running game and that has to change. If they did would have gone for it on 4th and 1.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:24 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I agree that at this point OL,DL and CB are bigger needs but the coaching staff obviously doesn't trust the running game and that has to change. If they did would have gone for it on 4th and 1.
That's where I disagree. They didn't trust the oline to get the push because we had a 3rd string RG and an undrafted rookie RT playing at the time. Going out and getting 1 yard with the game on the line comes down to your oline getting the needed push, not the talent level of your RB.
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
That's where I disagree. They didn't trust the oline to get the push because we had a 3rd string RG and an undrafted rookie RT playing at the time. Going out and getting 1 yard with the game on the line comes down to your oline getting the needed push, not the talent level of your RB.
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Old 01-12-2015, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Waddle and Warford injuries were big. Bell finished 4.4 YPC in second half of season though. Swanson is the future center after Week 17. Mayhew mentioned injuries when talking about Oline at end of year. I could see a new LG and that's it and rolling with Waddle/Lucas growth and health and Warford health and Swanson at center of course.

Hilliard back cheap too means less reliance on Lucas. But got the injury risk there too.

Reiff had his worst game of career on the wrong day though.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Even if we bring Mathis back, I want a CB after seeing Vaughn get toasted against Dallas. Plus Bentley is a consant injury risk and Lawson injury was nasty. Got lucky Slay/Mathis/Quin stayed healthy all year though after all the injuries in past years, we deserved some secondary health for once. Still missed Ihedigbo for 3 weeks and two nickels all year. I'll take that.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:39 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Agreed with all the above. But at this point Waddle hasn't been able to stay healthy at all so we need to have atleast a better insurance policy. Same goes for Warford, he hurt both knees this year. Ideally we can get a LG and then another guy with the ability to play OG or LG for insurance. Regardless I think we need to get some young talent in their atleast as insurance to continued injuries. Our depth at the position simply was not adequate enough.

Other guy to keep an eye on is Michael Williams, we converted him from TE to OT last summer and after a year in the weight room I think he can be a factor. He was a great blocking TE at Bama and has the athleticism, but couldn't get the weight on fast enough last year to complete the conversion.

We can certainly use more depth in the secondary, but I am hoping we take a flyer on claiborne and if we do I am fine with Slay/Mathis/Claiborne/Lawson as our top 4 next year. Not great but it'd allow us to focus on some other areas of need and I think that group could hold up. This CB class is deep so it's not out of the question we still draft another guy.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Hilliard,Lucas and Williams should be plenty of depth at T. One idea that would be interesting would be trying to move up for a LT and moving Reiff to G or RT with Waddle at the other spot. I think Waddle might be a dominant G, but an above average RT at best. I could be wrong though, as Waddle came out of a funky system and has room to develop.

Last edited by Nastradamus : 01-13-2015 at 10:41 AM.