Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 04-29-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Post-Draft thoughs

Okay, so now that the draft is over we have a little better picture as to what our roster will look like and what not...Thought we could use this thread to address our own feelings and evaluations of the draft.

Round 1, Pick 30- Craig Davis, WR, LSU
As a player, Davis will make a good fit for us, the only concern I have is to the value with which we picked him at. Although he could've been gone mid-second it might have been easier for us to pick Weddle in the first and trade up for less to get Davis in the second. As a player he's good but the pick was a bit of a reach.

Round 2, Pick 37- Eric Weddle, S, Utah
I liked Weddle going into the draft and he can be a stud. He was a pretty big playmaker at Utah, and he could bring the flash we need to our secondary. Again the pick is good, but I would have to question the value with which we gave up. We basically gave away our comp picks and the day 1 pick next year...the jury will still be out on if Weddle will be worth the trade.

Round 3, Pick 96-Anthony Waters, LB, Clemson
Waters was a decent pick, and he gave us some good depth at LB, which we needed. Probably won't start, or at least right away, but may work in a rotation like Wilhelm had been doing the past couple years. Sometime down the road could be a starter, but a solid, depth pick.

Round 4, Pick 129-Scott Chandler, TE, Iowa
Chandler is huge at 6-7, 257 pounds. I think this pick is being used to replace Manu when Manu is no longer with the Chargers. In that case it's a pretty decent pick, as Manu plays a significant role in our offense. He'll also be good depth at TE, and a good player to take over the reign from Manu in 2 TE sets when we he is gone.

Round 5, Pick 172-Legedu Nannee, WR, Boise State
This is the only pick I really don't understand. We have a bunch of WR's on the roster already, and Davis was already picked to be the speed guy we needed. I don't know much about Nannee but I think this pick could have been better used to address depth on the O-Line, rather then on a position we already have VJ, Davis, Parker, Floyd, Osgood, and Camarillo at, considering five of those guys will almost certainly make the roster.

Round 7, Pick 240-Brandon Siler, LB, Florida
Love this pick. Great value on Siler, and the guy could be a stud in the NFL. He's got good size and looked good at Florida. Of course he has some concerns, which dropped him to the seventh round, but this pick makes the whole draft look a little bit better. Siler may also get some reps in with Waters, like Wilhelm and Cooper had been doing for Edwards and Godfrey.

Overall I would grade this draft a B-. We got a lot of players we needed and addressed the positions we needed, its just that the value does not really add up to what it should in order to get a higher grade. If AJ wasn't running the show I would be a little nervous, but given his track record, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...

On a side note, looks like Turner will be a Charger in 07. Interesting, but we now know LT will be fresh when we hopefully are going into the playoffs, in addition to have the KR duties under control.

Now, that I typed all that out, what do you guys think about the draft, and what moves would you like to see made between now and opening day?
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
ncst8fan83
Pro Bowler

ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i would give this draft a C just because we didn't address quality DL and OL depth, especially at OG. I think that Naanee pick could have been used on an OG and would be a significant help next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman
Titty sprinkles
ncst8fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:56 AM    (permalink
zdh87
Rookie

zdh87 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I give the draft a B+. I don't agree with us giving up so much for Eric Weddle, considering we don't really have a pressing need and he was the best S by far left on the board. I would have been okay with Anthony Gonzalez, but a burner is what we needed at WR. Michael Turner, I believe, will not be a Charger in 07. If you'll remember, Steve McNair did not get traded till mid-May last year. Tennessee also did not draft a top-flite RB and GB did not get Marshawn Lynch.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:55 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdh87 View Post
I give the draft a B+. I don't agree with us giving up so much for Eric Weddle, considering we don't really have a pressing need and he was the best S by far left on the board. I would have been okay with Anthony Gonzalez, but a burner is what we needed at WR. Michael Turner, I believe, will not be a Charger in 07. If you'll remember, Steve McNair did not get traded till mid-May last year. Tennessee also did not draft a top-flite RB and GB did not get Marshawn Lynch.
Both teams addressed RB in the second round though, and there are no teams who really still have a need for RB. The situation around Steve McNair was a lot different last year too then the MT situation this year.

As for the Weddle comment, I'm confused with what you meant...Do you mean we didn't have a pressing need at safety, or that we don't have many pressing needs so its okay to give up the picks?

If it's the first, thats ridiculous. If its the second then yeah, thats how I tried justifying it to myself.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:56 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncst8fan83 View Post
i would give this draft a C just because we didn't address quality DL and OL depth, especially at OG. I think that Naanee pick could have been used on an OG and would be a significant help next year.
Thats my biggest problem with the draft....I think we were all expecting to get some depth up front and on the d-line and instead we got a WR who does not have a role on our team, and traded away the picks (although to get Weddle) that could've been used for that.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:56 AM    (permalink
constant cough
Rookie

constant cough hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Davis > Gonzalez IMO.

Davis is a senior with experince Gonzo didn't even start till his junior year and wasn't even recruited as a wide out he's raw. Craig Davis along with Dwayne Bowe and Jamarcus Russell went down to the Manning Passing Academy this past summer and during the camp Davis was Peyton Mannings favorite target, he raved about Buster. Craig Davis's athletic director in high school was Reggie Wayne's dad. Had the Chargers not picked Davis, Peyton Manning and the Colts would have.

He's very underrated and will be this drafts Reggie Wayne.
constant cough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:08 PM    (permalink
UncleHulka
Rookie

UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.

Solid, if unspectacular looking draft. I'd have liked to seen Beekman taken over Chandler. He's just way too slight to be a good blocking TE at this stage. And why would this team spend a mid pick on a developmental TE? But we had some obvious needs and filled them. I don't really have any major complaints.

BTW, I still can't believe that Fisher thinks taking Chrissy Henry in the second round makes more sense than trading next year's first for Turner.

Last edited by UncleHulka : 04-30-2007 at 07:11 PM.
UncleHulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

I was a little disapointed with Craig Davis at first....well thats an understatement.

Maybe I'm just being a homer here, but has anyone else felt that the more we get away from the actaul selection, the better this pick seems like it can be. After hearing how other teams have valued him and seeing some more footage, he may live up to being chosen that highly afterall. A couple posters in other threads have said the Colts would surely have taken him at 32. If that's the case I can see why AJ may have hopped on him early.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a huge fan of both of the ILBs they drafted. Should instantly fix their gaping hole at ILB
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
I'm a huge fan of both of the ILBs they drafted. Should instantly fix their gaping hole at ILB
If Waters can overcome that ACL injury he's a pretty great pick for us in the third round as is Siler in the seventh...the guy was projected as early as the third round by some, including Scott himself in his player evaluations.

No starts out of those guys this year definitely, but adds some solid depth and takes it away as a serious need for the future, assuming these guys make the roster and can contribute on special teams, situational plays, etc.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:37 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
If Waters can overcome that ACL injury he's a pretty great pick for us in the third round as is Siler in the seventh...the guy was projected as early as the third round by some, including Scott himself in his player evaluations.

No starts out of those guys this year definitely, but adds some solid depth and takes it away as a serious need for the future, assuming these guys make the roster and can contribute on special teams, situational plays, etc.
i don't know. I can see one of these guys breaking the starting lineup
Old 05-01-2007, 06:07 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
i don't know. I can see one of these guys breaking the starting lineup
In the future I can too....but I was talking more this year...unless did you think this year they could?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:01 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
In the future I can too....but I was talking more this year...unless did you think this year they could?
I did mean this year. Wilhelm and Cooper aren't surefire starters and I think by midseason one of these rookies could end up starting
Old 05-01-2007, 11:30 AM    (permalink
SDSupaChargers
Rookie

SDSupaChargers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SDSupaChargers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Round 1: Craig Davis. I personally love Davis. I did when this draft started. I think he fits what we need perfectly. However, I do think that it was a little early for him. In defense of AJ though, he may not have been able to find a trading partner and there were a lot of teams looking for a WR in the top of the second and that's probably where he would have gone. Grade: B+

Round 2: Eric Weddle. I don't have a huge problem trading up to get him or giving up as much as we did. After WR it was our one last desperate need. However I feel like there were some good safeties that we could have waited on. The one thing Weddle does have over most of the other safeties is a great football knowledge and knowledge of the system we run so he should have no problems starting right away, which is what we need. Grade: C+

Round 3: Anthony Waters. Great pick. Another player that has been one of my favorite prospects throughout the draft process. Obviously he had the injury last year, but I don't think that will be a big deal and I believe he could have been a late first/early second rounder otherwise. He will start games this season and I think possibly from day one. Grade: A-

Round 4: Scott Chandler. Not a fan of this pick at all. We already have Antonio and Brandon. If we need depth just for the rare case that they get injured I would rather have someone from FA who can just sit on the bench and get limited playing time when the time calls for it. There is no need in having 3 quality TE's. Besides Chandler is not a good blocker. I think that depth was much more necessary at other positions. Grade: D

Round 5: Legendu Naanee. Not a fan again. I understand that he could develop very nicely, but we already have young receivers (VJ and MF) who are developing very nicely, not to mention that we got one in the first round. If he becomes a star then I would definitely feel differently, but really, what are the chances of that? Grade: D+

Round 7: Brandon Siler. My favorite pick of the draft. This is the only pick that I was immediately cheering about. I have wanted him since the beginning of the college football season. No one will ever no how he dropped that far. He is a great leader and a thumper. Was compared to Kirk Morrisson who is a very solid MLB. I actually think he has a chance of starting this year if he plays better than Waters in preseason and training camp (I think that one of them will take Wilhelm's spot). Is not very good in coverage, but that can be worked on. He could be a star. Grade: A+

UDFA: We made some ok pick ups. Mike Jones and Anthony Arline are my two favorites. I think that they may be the only two that make the team. Arline should have been drafted and has great athleticism. Will give Gordon some competition for the fourth corner spot. Jones could provide some depth at Oline that all of us wanted. He is not very mobile which could be a big hit on him cause we like pulling our guards. A sleeper candidate to make the team is Race who might be the future replacement of Turner. He can really pound the ball up the middle. I would have liked to see some of the bigger named UDFA's signed. There was some good talent available and I think the only really good player we got was Arline. Grade: B-

Overall: I think it could have gone better for us. We all would have liked to see some depth on both lines. A NT to back up Jamal the Wall is going to be necessary. He is the foundation to our outstanding front seven. I also would have liked to see a corner drafted maybe instead of Chandler, but I think Arline will add that secondary depth. We spent too many picks on receivers (3) when really only 1 was probably needed. We did fill our two greatest positions of need with two players who fit very well in what we were looking for. Grade: C+
Old 05-01-2007, 01:23 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I did mean this year. Wilhelm and Cooper aren't surefire starters and I think by midseason one of these rookies could end up starting
I don't know about that...I could see Cooper not starting but the Chargers are big on Wilhelm, and he was just given a contract extension (six years I believe)...He almost started last year too. Now, he hasn't really had extensvie experience, so maybe he won't live up to expectations, in which case one of those other guys might be able to slide in. As of right now though, those two are the ones I want on the field...this season at least.