Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-02-2014, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bergevin and Therrien love jerking Subban around for some reason and I donít quite understand it.

If itís true that Subban is asking around $8.5 million AAV long-term, and Iím not completely convinced that it is, then itís a no-brainer. You sign him. Do I think heís ďworthĒ it in the sense that heís the best defenseman in the NHL and his contract should reflect that? No. But heís a clear game-changer on the blue line in an evolving cap environment. You donít offer Moen and Prust overgenerous, inflexible four-year contracts and then nickel and dime your star player.

As far as I can tell, they donít have many options. They can keep him for two more years and then watch him leave as an unrestricted free agent. They can trade him and likely receive pennies on the dollar in return. Or they can pay him more than they want short-term, but keep one of their franchise cornerstones long-term with a contract that will only get friendlier.

Instead, Bergevin submitted $5.250 million as an arbitration number, which is $500K less than the contract he recently signed Markov to, and minimized the prospect of hurt feelings. I donít see why he didnít just submit $6.5 million or $7 million, simply say Subban is one of the best young, right-handed defensemen at the hearing, and then hammer out an extension.

Something along the lines of:

2014-2015: $7 million
2015-2016: $7 million
2016-2017: $9-10 million
2017-2018: $9-10 million
2018-2019: $9-10 million
2019-2020: $9-10 million
2020-2021: $9-10 million
2021-2022: $9-10 million

Thatís a $68-74 million, 8-year contract. Between $8.5 million and $9.250 million AAV. Give him a no-movement clause if itís needed. Just donít see the upside of dragging these negotiations on.

I hope this isnít Johansenís future.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:15 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Subban got sorted. As for Johansen, that situation really got blown up publicly. You see the risk of the bridge, you can kind of understand it with just one big year off a rookie contract, but with an obvious talent like that you have to think it could just be best to give him a contract in the vein of Tavares/Skinner, which is actually quite close to what they just gave Dubinsky. It might just be Jarmo's MO, seems like he was giving away a few 2-year deals that end with RFA status to a handful of depth guys this summer. That would line up those more borderline players along with Jenner, Murray, and potentially Johansen as RFA in two years.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:31 AM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcGee View Post
Well Subban got sorted. As for Johansen, that situation really got blown up publicly. You see the risk of the bridge, you can kind of understand it with just one big year off a rookie contract, but with an obvious talent like that you have to think it could just be best to give him a contract in the vein of Tavares/Skinner, which is actually quite close to what they just gave Dubinsky. It might just be Jarmo's MO, seems like he was giving away a few 2-year deals that end with RFA status to a handful of depth guys this summer. That would line up those more borderline players along with Jenner, Murray, and potentially Johansen as RFA in two years.
Yeah, it does seem like itís how Davidson and Jarmo want to conduct their business. Like you said, I can understand the allure of a bridge deal for Johansen. Heís always been a big, talented kid with two-way upside, but hasnít consistently demonstrated the attitude or game-to-game application. Itís easy to forget he was a healthy scratch in the AHL playoffs last year in Springfield. Naturally, itís unnerving when a player with suspect motivation finally engages himself in a contract year. Then weíve got the Twitter comments about the second-line center getting a lucrative extension, the reported $3 million gap in negotiations, etc. Itís certainly got a lot of contentious potential.

That said, Johansen is the most important, unique skater in Columbusí top six. As much as I love gritty players like Dubinsky, Jenner, and Foligno, theyíre not overly dynamic talents. Johansen owns a legitimate two hundred foot skill set. Even though the Blue Jackets are trying to build a deep, relentless forward group thatís greater than the sum of its parts, that special centerpiece is obviously coveted.

Iím guessing the Blue Jackets dug in around the $4 million mark and Johansen and his agent want $7 million. It seems like a bridge is the likeliest outcome at this point. Iím not convinced it alleviates any long-term headache concerns though. If theyíre real, and youíre seriously worried about his maturity as a 21-year old, then whatís next if heís motivated and performs? Youíve got little leverage and heíll still be a 23-year old kid. Thereís no guarantee he will mature in that time. Except that third contract is going to be a massive, long-term deal given the rising cap and could even include a no-trade clause that limits future movability, so the stakes to make a correct decision at this juncture are high.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:22 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Going to be strange having someone other than Corsi coaching goalies, but I can't help but get a little giddy at the thought of Irbe and his bland equipment. Latvia takeover.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcGee View Post
Going to be strange having someone other than Corsi coaching goalies, but I can't help but get a little giddy at the thought of Irbe and his bland equipment. Latvia takeover.
Speaking of Buffaloís Latvian takeover, how is Zemgus developing? Admittedly, I can't say I've seen too much of the Sabres, or any of the WHL, but I found myself liking the idea of a Reinhart-Girgensons one-two punch during the draft.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:59 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

He seems to be developing pretty well. As much as I originally wanted him to play some NCAA he finished his AHL season pretty strong and was a solid presence all over the ice last year. The offensive talent has become more noticeable as time goes on. Take any sampling of Sabres fans and I'm guessing 90% say he's their favorite player, somebody who a lot want to see as captain in the future. I just don't want the expectations to get too crazy for him. He'll be solid, but some people are expecting him to be a Landeskog to Reinhart's MacKinnon and I just don't think his ceiling is quite that high. Maybe they know it's a poor man's comparison and I'm just not giving them credit because hockey fans are stupid, but whatever. He's played a lot of wing in his pro career, I'd say the expectation is for him to be in the middle but that could be a pretty fluid situation.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:57 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

There are entirely too many national stories about Kane playing rec league.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see what happens with Kevin Hayes not looking likely to sign with Chicago. Speaking of Kane, Chicago has only gotten 31 games from all of their first round picks since Kane, having at least one in each draft. Beach, Olson, and now Hayes will all no longer be in their system, all for various reasons. Not that they're hurting from any of this.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:56 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some rumors Rangers will go after Hayes if he doesn't sign by Sat. We have the same issue as the Blackhawks getting next to nothing from first round picks lately. Hopefully Kreider (already has a bit) can change that.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:49 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Yeah, Boston and New York always seem like popular destinations for college free agents.

Kreider is very good, Miller can still be good. Hated the McIlrath pick. Del Zotto's career kind of fell off a cliff. Skjei has promise. Haven't really had any high picks, lately, but you wouldn't be expecting much from those guys even if they did. A pretty typical haul for a team that's never really picking high in the draft.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is the year for Miller, hopefully they let him center the 3rd line.

God I hate MDZ, I thought he was going to be awesome.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:13 AM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked MDZ a lot to start his career, too. I wouldn't mind a good team signing him and giving him a stint in the A to develop a semblance of defensive awareness. His offensive skills are decent.

Also, Extraskater.com being down is the worst.
AHungryWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:23 AM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kreider and Hagelin both look like they will be 2nd-3rd liners at the very least and I have faith in both of them to turn into quality contributors. One of McIlrath and Allen will pan out, and Miller has flashed when healthy. In all honesty, this team has 3, maybe 4 years left to win a Cup with Henrik. That's why they signed a guy like Danny Boyle and traded Cally for Marty, they're in win now mode. If Hank doesn't get a ring by the end of his career the Rangers organization failed him miserably.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nobody has anything to say about the Holland extension? Or were my fellow Wings fans too upset to talk about it?
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:10 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
Nobody has anything to say about the Holland extension? Or were my fellow Wings fans too upset to talk about it?
It'll be more interesting to see if this ensures Mike Babcock signs an extension. Holland returning was absolutely inevitable so long as Ilitch is alive.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Hayes expected to pick from Colorado Avalanche, Nashville Predators, Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins, and New York Rangers today.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:45 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Go Nashville Go!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

A month ago the Avs were rumored to be the front runner, so we'll see if thats still true.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:28 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Nashville actually has ~13 NHL forwards, for once. They're just super underwhelming and on inconsiderable contracts. I'd like for them to add any offensive talent. Not that Hayes needs a regular NHL spot right now, but I'm guessing it's something he's looking for in this process, especially if the team is Nashville.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

The idea of a big contract for MacArthur still comes off as slightly odd to me, but he's gotten better since leaving here quite a while ago. The aav reflects his productivity, good for him, though I wouldn't say he's really anything special as a top-6 player. Fine player to have, though.

Ottawa on the whole, tough to imagine them being much better this year. Swap out Spezza (and a bit of Hemsky) for Legwand and Chiasson. Add in whatever Swede-like improvement you get from Zibanejad and Lehner, maybe some Mark Stone? Nothing will surprise me in the body of the East, but it's not the most inspiring group.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

https://twitter.com/DannyPicard/stat...01548428976128

Hayes reportedly to the Rangers.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is nice. But doesn't apply to the McDavid draft.

Quote:
Starting in 2016, the NHL draft will then have a lottery for each of the top three picks. 30th place team could end up with fourth overall.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:28 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Ha, Buffalo would lose its **** so hard if that was applied to the next draft. Looks like we're even going to be hosting at least one Erie Otters game this year. We'll probably end up picking third.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:26 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

I like Krejci a whole bunch, but I didn't expect 7+ for him. Would run until he's 35.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Veteran

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For some reason, I was looking at the Coyotes' first round picks history. Ouch.

1996: Dan Focht (11th overall) & Daniel Briere (24th overall)*
1997: None
1998: Patrick DesRochers (14th overall)
1999: Scott Kelman (15th overall) & Kirill Safronov (19th overall)
2000: Krystofer Kolanos (19th overall)
2001: Fredrik Sjostrom (11th overall)
2002: Jakub Koreis (19th overall) & Ben Eager (23rd overall)
2003: None
2004: Blake Wheeler (5th overall)
2005: Martin Hanzal (17th overall)
2006: Peter Mueller (8th overall) & Chris Summers (29th overall)
2007: Kyle Turris (3rd overall) & Nick Ross (30th overall)
2008: Mikkel Boedker (8th overall) & Viktor Tikhonov (28th Overall)
2009: Oliver Ekman-Larsson (6th overall)
2010: Brandon Gormley (13th overall) & Mark Visentin (27th overall)

They seem to have started turning things around in 2008 with Boedker, OEL, Gormley all being okay to nice picks, but damn. Has there ever been a worse return on investment in a 10 year span?

From 1996 to 2007, the only players worth something they drafted in the first round are :

Danny BriŤre - Played two years with the Coyotes before being traded for Chris Gratton (of all people) and a pick that turned into Liam Reddox.

Blake Wheeler - Never signed with the team.

Martin Hanzal - Average player.

Peter Mueller - Had a nice rookie year, then became a scrub.

Kyle Turris - Was crap in Phoenix before being traded for scrub/bust David Rundblad.

Find me a worse team.

Edit : Just realized the Habs were equally terrible from 1994 1988 to 2004, which isn't a surprise really.

Last edited by Job Reborn : 09-05-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:42 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

heh heh heh Gratton for Briere

Turris and Wheeler bitched their way out of Phoenix, which doesn't exactly help their reputation. Hanzal is okay for mid-1st. Tikhonov's North American career all happened pretty fast. Mueller was always injured and inconsistent, a shame because he showed talent in both Phoenix and Colorado. We seem to just now be getting to the point of seeing whether their defensive investments will pay off. Krys Kolanos for life. Also pretty sure Kirill Safronov was always my lowest rated player in some NHL game.