Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-03-2007, 01:42 AM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What do the Geeeeeee-Men need to add?

I think we need to add another corner, and a big time safety

Besides that, I think were set. I really hope the rumored Kevin Shaffer trade goes down and we will be set.

I liked our draft a good deal. DeOssie and Ross (I like DeOssie that much) are potentially all stars, and Smith is gonna be a very solid player for a long time imo.

I think we are just a Safety and another cornerback away from having a rock solid defense like the defenses of old.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:44 AM    (permalink
moc182
All-Pro

moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.

We need a centerfielder, and I'd still like a true will, but beyond that we're in decent shape. I still don't think we're going to make the playoffs next year but Reese is pointing us in the right direction.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmitt Smith
Donít quit, donít even quit.
moc182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:50 AM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moc182 View Post
We need a centerfielder, and I'd still like a true will, but beyond that we're in decent shape. I still don't think we're going to make the playoffs next year but Reese is pointing us in the right direction.
Really? Giants fans are way too down on this team in my opinion. We should be able to make the playoffs for sure. Probably go somewhere from 9-7 to 11-5
Old 05-03-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need a FS, possibly a SS, although I think we'll be ok at SS, maybe an upgrade at DT depending on how our guys play, an LT.

Of course, you never know until you see that in house talent develop. What if Whimper steps up? What if Wilkinson bombs? What if Underwood pans out?

We have no idea at this moment whats gonna be what.

One thing I strongly believe in however, is that we need a FS. We have no one on the roster who can be a legitimate threat at FS. We passed up on Nelson, I hope we don't regret it.

Theres always a new batch of talents available every year though, let's see what this year brings to the table.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:56 PM    (permalink
liquidswords
Rookie

liquidswords hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Demps started off horribly, but he played ok the last two games of the season. Maybe he'll step it up this season. And you never know about Michael Johnson... he was projected as a 4th round pick, so maybe we have a future starter.

Xbox GT: LiquidSwords55
liquidswords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidswords View Post
Demps started off horribly, but he played ok the last two games of the season. Maybe he'll step it up this season. And you never know about Michael Johnson... he was projected as a 4th round pick, so maybe we have a future starter.
Yeah, but he'd be a SS, not a FS.

And Demps, he's also more of a SS, not a FS. I think we're in need of a true center fielder. We don't have one right now.

I think if Johnson does pan out, that means that unless Gibril has a killer year, he'll probably be let go.

I don't mind it, Ive never been as big on Wilson as most Giant fans. I think he's a skinny version of Roy Williams. Not a big fan at all.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:37 PM    (permalink
DI
Veteran

DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still not to sold on our DT situation. Would've like to add another capable and solid body in their to go with Cofield and Big Fred. DT and other than that, what was said before, which was a center field, ball hawking safety and Schaeffer would be perfect at tackle, just don't give up too much for him.
DI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gibril sounds really motivated this offseason to get his game back together. It's to the point where he is real pissed off that he hasn't played as well as he did his rookie year. I think Lewis scheme limited him a little too much the last couple of years so I think Wilson will improve.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Gibril sounds really motivated this offseason to get his game back together. It's to the point where he is real pissed off that he hasn't played as well as he did his rookie year. I think Lewis scheme limited him a little too much the last couple of years so I think Wilson will improve.
If Wilson can show me he can cover the TE in man coverage, then he'll be acceptable. If not, then he needs to go. To me, thats gonna determine his value this year. His TE coverage.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
If Wilson can show me he can cover the TE in man coverage, then he'll be acceptable. If not, then he needs to go. To me, thats gonna determine his value this year. His TE coverage.
this year he wont have to cover everyone though. last year with webster playing zone(d@mn u tim lewis), madison hurt and demps still not 100% and having emmons in there and no pass rush with hurt DE's, gibril had to really do everything in the secondary. i honestly expect huge things from him this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think in Spags new system Wilson will be asked to do that as much. Obviously on deep routes he's going to be asked too especially with Witten and Smith in the division. I'm thinking we're going to be using the OLB's a lot more to cover the TE's. One thing I never want to see though is Pierce streaking down the field trying to cover one of those guys.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-03-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Na, Spags defense puts heavy emphasis on the secondary being primarily responsible for coverage.

The OLBs blitz alot, and it puts extra pressure on the CBs to hold up in man coverage, and the SS to hold up in man coverage with the TE. And the FS has to hold up in a deep zone all by himself.

Basically, you need a real good secondary with this new scheme. Coverage will largely fall on their shoulders.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Na, Spags defense puts heavy emphasis on the secondary being primarily responsible for coverage.

The OLBs blitz alot, and it puts extra pressure on the CBs to hold up in man coverage, and the SS to hold up in man coverage with the TE. And the FS has to hold up in a deep zone all by himself.

Basically, you need a real good secondary with this new scheme. Coverage will largely fall on their shoulders.
well we know kiwi will blitz alot. but still, i feel team health will really help gibril in particular. demps, is really a SS playing FS, should be better with his knee. madison should be healthy, and ross could be a great player in our... lets call it... well slow and aging CB corps. i honestly feel gibril is the best player in our secondary. he made very nice plays last year, but took hits for the secondary woes. it would look like he got beat, when in reality he was just there trying to cover a man who beat a different defender. then when the WR/TE caught it, gibril was the closest guy and got blamed.
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:

What I meant was I think he's going to ask Demps to hold up on the TE's more than Wilson. I think we are going to see Wilson in the Dawkins role either playing that deep zone or coming in to blitz. I think Demps has more of that wide bigger body that would allow him to cover the TE's more than Wilson. I know Demps coverage skills last year were pretty horiffic but I see him improving. Also, I'm not sure why I thought the OLB's would cover the TE as much that was just dumb on my part.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-03-2007, 03:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
well we know kiwi will blitz alot. but still, i feel team health will really help gibril in particular. demps, is really a SS playing FS, should be better with his knee. madison should be healthy, and ross could be a great player in our... lets call it... well slow and aging CB corps. i honestly feel gibril is the best player in our secondary. he made very nice plays last year, but took hits for the secondary woes. it would look like he got beat, when in reality he was just there trying to cover a man who beat a different defender. then when the WR/TE caught it, gibril was the closest guy and got blamed.
To be honest, that sounds exactly like an argument a Cowboys fan would make for Roy Williams.

Which is why I constantly compare the 2. Both us with Gibril, and them with Roy have overinflated views of their respective abilities.

Gibril's responsibilities haven't changed much since his rookie year. He's been a Cover 2 SS since the day he got here. But after having a great first 8 games of his career, his production fell off dramatically.

My biggest issue with him is speed. For a guy so small, he's not very fast at all. And in this man coverage scheme, he better have great instincts because he he gets juked, he's in trouble.

Being the best player in our secondary doesn't say much quite frankly. Our secondary was poop. Of course the scheme change will help, and Ross, Madison in man coverage, and Underwood should help things, but its still not a great secondary. Not until they prove it on the field.

I hope he proves me wrong, but Im not banking on it. I think his play will improve with the scheme change, but him being in a contract year makes me question if he's worth resigning. Especially since we already have 2 SS in the depth chart that can replace him.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
What I meant was I think he's going to ask Demps to hold up on the TE's more than Wilson. I think we are going to see Wilson in the Dawkins role either playing that deep zone or coming in to blitz. I think Demps has more of that wide bigger body that would allow him to cover the TE's more than Wilson. I know Demps coverage skills last year were pretty horiffic but I see him improving. Also, I'm not sure why I thought the OLB's would cover the TE as much that was just dumb on my part.
I don't know...its tough, bc we don't have a true center fielder, something this defensive system needs.

I mean, I don't know who I trust as centerfielder more, Demps or Wilson? Neither will do a great job at it, but I think I trust Demps a little more. He has better recovery speed than Wilson.

We wont see the 46, and we won't see an exact duplicate of what we see in Philly, so who knows.

Maybe Spags will rely on more TE double teams and OLB man coverages than Philly does.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:35 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
To be honest, that sounds exactly like an argument a Cowboys fan would make for Roy Williams.

Which is why I constantly compare the 2. Both us with Gibril, and them with Roy have overinflated views of their respective abilities.

Gibril's responsibilities haven't changed much since his rookie year. He's been a Cover 2 SS since the day he got here. But after having a great first 8 games of his career, his production fell off dramatically.

My biggest issue with him is speed. For a guy so small, he's not very fast at all. And in this man coverage scheme, he better have great instincts because he he gets juked, he's in trouble.

Being the best player in our secondary doesn't say much quite frankly. Our secondary was poop. Of course the scheme change will help, and Ross, Madison in man coverage, and Underwood should help things, but its still not a great secondary. Not until they prove it on the field.

I hope he proves me wrong, but Im not banking on it. I think his play will improve with the scheme change, but him being in a contract year makes me question if he's worth resigning. Especially since we already have 2 SS in the depth chart that can replace him.
BBD, you're exactly right. i defend gibril alot cuz he's one of my favorites but he really needs to show something this year. and calling our secondary poop is a vast understatement. I mean when Freddy Robbins has more INTs than our #1 CB, our FS, our #2 CB. i mean thats just awful. its not like he even had a monsterous 5, he had 2. TWO INTS!!!!!!!!!!! and he was tied for 2nd with ints!!!!!!
Quote:
Old 05-03-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
I don't know...its tough, bc we don't have a true center fielder, something this defensive system needs.

I mean, I don't know who I trust as centerfielder more, Demps or Wilson? Neither will do a great job at it, but I think I trust Demps a little more. He has better recovery speed than Wilson.

We wont see the 46, and we won't see an exact duplicate of what we see in Philly, so who knows.

Maybe Spags will rely on more TE double teams and OLB man coverages than Philly does.
I've always been a big fan of Wilson so I'm going to lean more towards him to get the job done. I think he's been playing almost scared the last couple of years and he needs to let go of that. If he just goes out and makes plays like he did as a rook I think he can play that centerfield spot really well. I'm not sure where I just read it but the DB coach said Wilson was thinking to much out there and he just needed to not think and just play. I think a lot of that had to do with Lewis and I remember similar comments from Pierce and the other Lb's that that were very limited in what they were able to do. I think Spags is going to give them a lot more leeway to get on the field and make plays and not rely so much in being very very disciplined. With some of our players that could turn out to be a porblem but I don't believe so.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-03-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
BBD, you're exactly right. i defend gibril alot cuz he's one of my favorites but he really needs to show something this year. and calling our secondary poop is a vast understatement. I mean when Freddy Robbins has more INTs than our #1 CB, our FS, our #2 CB. i mean thats just awful. its not like he even had a monsterous 5, he had 2. TWO INTS!!!!!!!!!!! and he was tied for 2nd with ints!!!!!!
*cries on your shoulder*
Old 05-03-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

BBD, i burst out in tears while typing that.
Quote:
Old 05-03-2007, 07:29 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

um hello oline? our oline is not a good/set area right now we def need to add some depth there immediately or before the season starts.

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:06 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

what we really need is some attitude. some hard hitting, fear imposing attitude, try and revert back to the old days with LT, Banks, Carson, when teams were afraid to play the giants D
Quote:
Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 PM    (permalink
liquidswords
Rookie

liquidswords hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I agree with that. As long as our locker room in intact and no starts complaining if we have a little losing streak, we can definetly have a dominant defense. With Tiki gone, I wonder how we will respond to Coughlin next year...

Xbox GT: LiquidSwords55
liquidswords is offline   Reply With Quote